Windsor Ricky-Tick

Guest Southern Brian

Guest Southern Brian

Anybody remember going to Windsor Ricky-Tick Club, Barry Ave. between 64-67 before it was demolished to make for motorway slip road flyover?

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Before my time,but from what i,ve gathered---The Ricky Tick clubs were situated in Guilford,Croydon,Reading and as you say Windsor(which was also the head office).They were run by Phil Hayward and John Mansfield ,they featured English bands like,Georgie Fame,s Blue Flames,Bluesology(with a young Elton John)Zoot Money, etc and held music sessions 5 nights a week with all nighters at the weekend.Many visiting American acts played these clubs often doubling up the same night as the Marquee or The Flamingo in the smoke,i think the last one in Windsor closed about 1967/68

Tony

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Just as a footnote,in 2000--2002 my house in North Yorkshire was called Ric-Tic(i still have the sign) and one hot summers day a lady walking her dog stopped to talk to me--i was cutting the grass and she said"I often walk past here ,and i noticed the name of youre cottage", she explained to me that years ago she,d lived in Windsor and went on to tell me all about these clubs!!!

IT,S a small world--as Ronnie Corbett once said!!

Tony

Social source share

Anybody remember going to Windsor Ricky-Tick Club, Barry Ave. between 64-67 before it was demolished to make for motorway slip road flyover?

:D Hi All the Windsor RICKY TICK CLUB was just 1 of a number of clubs that used to be run under the name, however it is/was the Windsor club that was the true MOD watering hole? it can be seen in the film BLOW UO! if you get a copy (good film) I have a bit of ORIGANAL memoribila from the club but my favourates are the posters this one is a clasic, with the bullet holes in the name, real MOD. Please Take a few Photos of the place as it is jjust as inportant to SOUL music as the TWISTED WHEEL.:thumbsup: DAVE KIL

post-13241-066569700 1282852290_thumb.jp IF YOU ARE WONDERING THE RED ATLANTIC 45 IS A LED ZEPLIN RAREATY:boxing:

post-13241-066569700 1282852290_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Before my time,but from what i,ve gathered---The Ricky Tick clubs were situated in Guilford,Croydon,Reading and as you say Windsor(which was also the head office).They were run by Phil Hayward and John Mansfield ,they featured English bands like,Georgie Fame,s Blue Flames,Bluesology(with a young Elton John)Zoot Money, etc and held music sessions 5 nights a week with all nighters at the weekend.Many visiting American acts played these clubs often doubling up the same night as the Marquee or The Flamingo in the smoke,i think the last one in Windsor closed about 1967/68

Tony

Before my time aswell, but i was in contact with John (Lancelot) Mansfield until a few years ago. He was in the Pine Stripping business for about 20 years & i met him through being in the antiques game . We worked for the same business for a while & had a lot of chats about the people he had met at the club - which i understood belonged to his brother - not many big names he hadn't met - Hendrix etc Only person ive seen that he hadn't was Jackie Wilson if i remember rightly! He was supposedly writing a book about it but doubt he ever finished it - he is barking mad!

Last i heard he was living down near Bristol.

Alan

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest Southern Brian

I was a regular at the Tick and have recently met the original D J. Martin Fuggles (they wern't called that at the time). When the Tick at The Thames Hotel closed for good Martin moved on to Pantiles at Bagshot briefly before storing his records in the loft where they remain to this day. The good news is Martin has agreed to dust his records off and do a set at Club Rude, Queens Arms, Great Knolleys Street, Reading, on the third Thurs. of every month, either in Jan. or Feb.next year. Hope to see you old soulies down there.

Social source share

I was a regular at the Tick and have recently met the original D J. Martin Fuggles (they wern't called that at the time). When the Tick at The Thames Hotel closed for good Martin moved on to Pantiles at Bagshot briefly before storing his records in the loft where they remain to this day. The good news is Martin has agreed to dust his records off and do a set at Club Rude, Queens Arms, Great Knolleys Street, Reading, on the third Thurs. of every month, either in Jan. or Feb.next year. Hope to see you old soulies down there.

I don't know which Ricky Tick I went to meethinks Croydon, did Pantiles loadsa times :thumbsup:

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Was this one of the Old Mod type clubs you where telling me about in Spain Brian ??

Find it really interesting a real change to hear about legendary Southern Clubs!!

Hope ya good :lol:

Nige

Social source share

Been to Club Rude quite a few times - always a good night - good sounds etc. Paul Anderson (Smiler) is also involved with the Mod exhibition which is happening in Reading Museum next year sometime - there is a Facebook page called "Reading Steady Go"

Will try & go when this guy is playing - would like to meet someone who knew John Mansfield back in the 60s!!

Alan

Social source share

Find it really interesting a real change to hear about legendary Southern Clubs!!

Nige

There were more than you'd think, most tended to be small and/or tucked out of the way.

The A Train Guildford Plaza - where they got their stuff from I'll never know but boy did they play some hot stuff.

Portsmouth Marina, legendary all-nighter, pure Northern Soul, most of the records bought down by northerners

in the Navy.

Woking Atalanta - 100% soul and rocksteady - clubland legend Bob Potter behind the decks.

I'm sure there's more...............................................:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Southern Brian

Was this one of the Old Mod type clubs you where telling me about in Spain Brian ??

Hope ya good :D

Nige

Hi Nige,

Good to hear from you, yes this was the club I was telling you about, the owners also ran nights at other venues mainly in Guildford, Reading, Maidenhead and Hounslow under the Ricky-Tick Club name. Windsor was the main one firstly at the Star & Garter then Barry Ave.and lastly at The Thames Hotel. Barry Ave was an old mansion house converted into a club, one big room with black painted walls and the white faces painted on them(like on the posters). There were lots of smaller rooms off the main room with sofa's, bars, one even had a T V so if you were fed up with music you could watch the tellie!!!.

Hope you are well, might catch up with you on the 11th at L. E.

Brian

Social source share

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup: HI ALL THE RICKY-TICK CLUBS WERE DEFIANTLY 100% MOD, THE POSTERS ARE RARE IF ORIGINAL I HAVE STARTED TO USE THE ROY C ONE AS MY AVIATOR ,

I AM AMAZED THAT NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE CLASSIC CULT FILM BLOW UP - DAVID HEMMIGS, AS IT HAS ABOUT 5 MINUTES OF FOOTAGE OF THE TICK AT WINDSOR, AND JANET STREET PORTER DANCING, IF ANYONE HAS BLUESVILE 67/8 CUB POSTERS, ESPECIALLY FROM THE CHERRY TREE WELWYN GARDEN CITY, ALL BLUE HORIZON ACTS PLAYED THERE AND MY BEST NIGHT WAS SEEING RORY GALLAGHER AND TASTE,OR POSTERS FROM THE CALI HERMITAGE MECCA STEVEN AGE OR THE ROYAL TOT,

:D DAVE KI

post-13241-0-70103800-1297920937_thumb.j

post-13241-0-79710300-1297921393_thumb.j

post-13241-0-16225400-1297921490_thumb.j

post-13241-0-49624200-1297921744_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mickeyb

Brian,

You might be interested in this:-

RUDE 17/02/1966

THE CLUB RUDE RICKY TICK SPECIAL ALL PLAYED ON VINTAGE VINYL, 17th FEBRUARY 1966, AT THE QUEENS ARMS, GREAT KNOLLYS ST., READING, PLAYLIST, WITH GUEST MARTIN FUGGLES.

CLUB RUDE THE THIRD THURSDAY EACH MONTH. PREVIOUS PLAYLISTS AND MORE DETAILS AT www.jimz.biz -click on on jimzplaylists. ALSO THE "CLUB RUDE" PAGE OR "PAUL ANDERSON" OR "JIM B. DONOVAN" ON FACEBOOK.

Well we didn't even need the tardis for this one. At the press of a button it was 1966 ish, with the Ricky Tick coming back to life after well over 40 years away. Martin Fuggles our guest dj., who last played at the tik 44 years ago took the evening to a high after 10.00, playing the tunes that shook the club all those years ago. Most of all thanks to all of you who came to make up our biggest and most receptive audience yet. I better not name check them all in case I leave someone out, but they are all pictured on Facebook either at CLUB RUDE, or Paul Anderson, or Jim B Donovan or the various links from those pages. We must mention Ali MacKenzie however who was with us with the Birds brand new single, a magnifico double "A" sided seven. Thanks also of course to Smiler-who put the theme together-, Dan and Keith for setting the mood. The next session is on March 17th., with loads more previous playlists and details at my new revamped site.

bcnu /Jim-the Ricky Hick from Hereford.

THE SOUL SISTERS...I CAN'T STAND IT

LITTLE ANTHONY...I'M GONNA FIX YOU GOOD

MAJOR LANCE...TOO HOT TO HOLD

CHRIS FARLOWE...BUZZ WITH THE FUZZ

JOHNNY NASH...LOVE AIN'T NOTHING

SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON...ONE WAY OUT

SLIM HARPO...I'M A KING BEE

JUNIOR WALKER...TUNE UP

MARVIN GAYE...LUCKY ME

TAMMI TERRELL...ALL I DO

C. BRADFORD...SUMMERTIME

NINA SIMONE...TOUCHING AND CARING

DERRICK MORGAN...BLAZING FIRE

HIPPY BOYS...DREAMS TO REMEMBER

DARRELL BANKS...OPEN THE DOOR TO YOUR HEART

MARVA WHITNEY...THIS GIRL

BIG YOUTH...HONESTY

OWEN GREY...LONELY DAYS

JOHN ROBERTS...SOCKIN' 1, 2, 3. 4

RICHIE BARRETT...SOME OTHER GUY

THE CREATION...MAKIN' TIME

GOOGIE RENE...SMOKEY JOES LA LA

BOOKER T....BOOTLEG

TERRY AND JERRY...MAMA JULIE

JIMMY McGRIFF...ALL ABOUT MY GIRL

BOBBY BLAND...YIELD NOT TO TEMPTATION

BYRON LEE...NIGHT TRAIN

DERRICK MORGAN...THE HOP

AMBOY DUKES...HIGHLIFE IN WHITLEY WOOD

SKATALITES...BALL A FIRE

STEVIE WONDER...UPTIGHT

GENE CHANDLER...NOTHING CAN STOP ME

PLATTERS...WITH THIS RING

ROBERT PARKER...LET'S GO BABY

SHIRLEY ELLIS ...SOUL TIME

SOUL SISTERS...GOOD TIME TONIGHT

BARKAYS...SOUL FINGER

LEN BARRY...1 2 3

JUNIOR WALKER...ROAD RUNNER

DARRELL BANKS...OPEN THE DOR TO YOUR HEART

JACKIE WILSON...HIGHER AND HIGHER

MARVIN GAYE...CAN I GET A WITNESS

WILSON PICKETT...634-5789

BOOKER T...AW MERCY

O'JAYS...LIPSTICK TRACES

CHARLIE AND INNEZ FOXX...TIGHTROPE

THE BIRDS...THAT'S ALL I NEED YOU FOR (their new single)

MIRACLES...MICKEY'S MONKEY

DUALS...STICK SHIFT

ACTION...I'LL KEEP ON HOLDING ON

EDDIE HOLLAND...LEAVING HERE

GEORGIE FAME...MONKEYING AROUND

BILLY BOY ARNOLD...WISH YOU WOULD

LAUREL AITKEN...LAST NIGHT

REX GARVIN...SOCK IT TO EM' JB

PHIL UPCHURCH...YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN

Then Martins 32 Tik tunes, with Jim playing 7 back to back, marked*, at the end of his set...

IMPRESSIONS..IT'S ALRIGHT

JAMES BROWN...NIGHT TRAIN

MARVIN GAYE...YOU'RE A WONDERFUL ONE

COD'S...MICHAEL

SOLOMON BURKE...EVERYBODY NEEDS SOMEBODY TO LOVE

MAJOR LANCE...SWEET MUSIC

ISLEY BROTHERS...THIS OLD HEART OF MINE

EDWIN STARR...STOP HER ON SIGHT

SAM AND DAVE...YOU DON'T KNOW LIKE I KNOW

MAXINE BROWN...OH NO NOT MY BABY

SAM THE SHAM...WOOLY BULLY

ROY C....SHOTGUN WEDDING

OTIS REDDING...MR. PITIFUL

MIRACLES...GOING TO A GO GO

SOLOMON BURKE...STUPIDITY

HIGH KEYS...QUE SERA SERA

BOB AND EARL ...HARLEM SHUFFLE

BETTY EVERETT...GETTING MIGHT CROWDED

ARTHUR ALEXANDER...YOU BETTER MOVE ON

WILSON PICKETT...IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR

DOBIE GRAY...THE IN CROWD

DONNIE ELBERT...LITTLE PIECE OF LEATHER

MAR-KEYS...LAST NIGHT

MARVELLETTES...TOO MANY FISH IN THE SEA

MARTHA AND THE VANDELLAS...DANCING IN THE STREET

LEE DORSEY...RIDE YOUR PONY

*FASCINATIONS...GIRLS ARE OUT TO GET YOU

FOUR TOPS...I CAN'T HELP MYSELF

*MARTHA AND THE VANDELLAS...JIMMYMACK

TEMPTATIONS...AIN'T TOO PROUD TO BEG

*CHRIS CLARK...I WANT TO GO BACK THERE AGAIN

CAPITOLS...COOL JERK

*BILLY PRSTON...BILLYS BAG

OTIS REDDING...RESPECT

*DON COVAY...SEE SAW

SAM AND DAVE...HOLD ON I'M COMING

*SAM AND DAVE...SOUL MAN

VELVELETTES...NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK

*DEAN PARRISH...I'M ON MY WAY

Martin earlier on had played a live recording he made of Geno at the tik on a cassette recorder!, and we finished the evening with a recording I made of georgie fame on the light programme live at the tik on easter saturday 1965.

CLUB RUDE IS A "ROOTSOFCLUBMUSICNIGHT"-PRODUCTION.

Social source share

/That was a good night out. Records you've heard so many times before always sound better in a club environment. Met Martin Fuggles as well. Really nice bloke, Very well attended to for a Thursday night. Lot of old mods from all over the place.

Social source share

..i lived in Datchet (30 min walk to Windsor) for 10 years and came across many people who frequented the ricky tick in all its guises.I also came across nutty Johm M who as stated was writing a book (supposedley) about the RT.I was a screenprinter and had recently done a ltd edition series of tee shirts based on the poster designs..i got some great local press (based on my canvas popart paintings) and John contacted me then hijacked his way onto my interview to promote his book,,all lightness and air..great tees and all that bull****...he told me how he'd created the posters using a method of iron on stencils which broke down after a short run..(prob expains why the early ones are so scarce) and that they needed more posters for a rolling stones gig...the mesh broke down and they ended up using net curtains ripped from the room..a fascinating story ..along with one day he answered his door to Brian Jones (who lived there briefly) who was walking his pet goat!!......after JM used my interview..he threatened to sue me over copyright of 'his' poster...a strange guy...never did see the book...was still living in Windsor about 4/5 years ago...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't think the book ever got finished - typical Mansfield! Last saw him 6 - 7 years ago, used to be in same line of work - pine stripping, so talked to him quite a lot about the Ricky Tick days - loads of great stories! Mad as a March hare though!

Alan

Social source share

• 2 months later...

My brother was a regular at the Ricky Tick Windsor. I remember one regret was that he missed a new American act called Jimi Hendrix and took a girl out on a date instead. His mates raved for weeks about "this black yank playing guitar behind his head". I don't know whether they used to play the stuff at the Ricky Tick but he used to like the Blue Beat and Ska stuff as much as the soul. He used to sit me on the steps in our living room and part my hair into a Steve Marriott style - I must have been 5 or 6 years old. I seem to recall feeling embarrassed but liked the attention. Our old man used to refer to it as "more like arseole music more than soul music". Funny what you remember when you're a kid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My brother was a regular at the Ricky Tick Windsor. I remember one regret was that he missed a new American act called Jimi Hendrix and took a girl out on a date instead. His mates raved for weeks about "this black yank playing guitar behind his head". I don't know whether they used to play the stuff at the Ricky Tick but he used to like the Blue Beat and Ska stuff as much as the soul. He used to sit me on the steps in our living room and part my hair into a Steve Marriott style - I must have been 5 or 6 years old. I seem to recall feeling embarrassed but liked the attention. Our old man used to refer to it as "more like arseole music more than soul music". Funny what you remember when you're a kid.

Social source share

• 5 months later...

:hatsoff2: Hi All the Windsor RICKY TICK CLUB was just 1 of a number of clubs that used to be run under the name, however it is/was the Windsor club that was the true MOD watering hole? it can be seen in the film BLOW UO! if you get a copy (good film) I have a bit of ORIGANAL memoribila from the club but my favourates are the posters this one is a clasic, with the bullet holes in the name, real MOD. Please Take a few Photos of the place as it is jjust as inportant to SOUL music as the TWISTED WHEEL.ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

post-13241-066569700 1282852290_thumb.jp IF YOU ARE WONDERING THE RED ATLANTIC 45 IS A LED ZEPLIN RAREATY:boxing:

Theres a few actors in the film wearing zOOT mONEY T sHIrts

Social source share

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

i used to frequent the Ricky Tick at windsor mostly on a saturday night ,after the London Scene club was getting busted every saturday night by the cops .

i preferred the Scene club as it was an allnighter with lots of bands and Guy Stevens with his latest selection of imports .

But after a few years the Scene had had its day unfortunately .

it got to be a pain every saturday with cops barging in and ruining the evening

lights on and music off and causing major disruption which killed it in the end ..

the thing i remember about the Tick was it was a bizarre old mansion ,and with the roaring log fire and sofa it was too comfortable .

georgie Fame ,graham Bond ,and Geno were regulars .

i still have my membership card which will feature in Paul 'smiler' Andersons book about the mods and the club scene of the time.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest lofthope

Blimey, missed this thread first time around, had to grow up with elders constantly telling me how great the Ricky Tick was!

I believe Pantiles, it's replacement club in Bagshot has now gone too! nothing lasts.

On the windsor tip though, I put on Ronnie McNeir, Lou Ragland, Sidney Joe Qualls, The Chi-Lites and a few others on at the Old Trout in Windsor in the late 1980s. Although the building is still partially there, it's just a drinking hole now.

At least the 100 Club has survived. My dad went their after the war for jazz nights, I went to the 6Ts nights and recently my daughter went to Elaine Constantine's dance classes for the Northern Soul film there.....3 generations!

BTW, seen some of the Northern Soul flm footage, looks awesome!

Social source share

Been to Club Rude quite a few times - always a good night - good sounds etc. Paul Anderson (Smiler) is also involved with the Mod exhibition which is happening in Reading Museum next year sometime - there is a Facebook page called "Reading Steady Go"

Good lad is Paul... A Hammer too.

Social source share

Blimey, missed this thread first time around, had to grow up with elders constantly telling me how great the Ricky Tick was!

I believe Pantiles, it's replacement club in Bagshot has now gone too! nothing lasts.

On the windsor tip though, I put on Ronnie McNeir, Lou Ragland, Sidney Joe Qualls, The Chi-Lites and a few others on at the Old Trout in Windsor in the late 1980s. Although the building is still partially there, it's just a drinking hole now.

At least the 100 Club has survived. My dad went their after the war for jazz nights, I went to the 6Ts nights and recently my daughter went to Elaine Constantine's dance classes for the Northern Soul film there.....3 generations!

BTW, seen some of the Northern Soul flm footage, looks awesome!

Spent some good nights at the Old Trout including the Ronnie McNeir gig. Also remember GC Cameron there.
Social source share

If Mick Webb (aka Cockney Mick) is around, I wonder if he could give some recollections on the club? I believe he's an old stalwart of the Ricky Tic in Windsor.............and Hi, if you're out there Mick! Would be good to know how you are.

Indeed, Mick did used to regale us with stories of the Ricky Tick and other clubs of the day. I think the nearest Mick has ever come to a computer though is an abacus and he couldn't work that out either!! (except to calculate his DJ fees and petrol costs... :g:)

Saw him a few months back at the Southampton all dayer. Afraid to inform that he has cerebral palsy which is degenerative - he walks with a stick now and has to take it easy, but he is still the old Cockney Mick!! No question of that - "whatever 'appened to all that brilliant 70s and 80s modern stuff they used to play. I like all the oldies an' all that, but all that modern stuff's disappeared" - "you coming up to the Ghetto Soul room Mick?"..........."am I f*ck!" :huh: .........yep, still the old Mick! It was great to see him. :yes:

Edited by markw
Social source share

Guest lofthope

Ahhh yes, GC Cameron.....forgot about him! Do remember that he booked himself out the the hotel I'd put him in because it wasn't good enough! Whereas Lou Ragland and Sidney Joe Qualls happily stayed in the spare room at my house and we had a great laugh,

The night after the Sidney Joe Qualls gig at the Old Trout we had a barbeque at my sister in law's in Windsor and he sang for everyone, it was brilliant. We recorded it on VHS. Trouble was that when we played it back all you heard was bloody aircraft noise from Heathrow take offs!

Another odd one I forgot at the Old Trout was Susaye Green of the Supremes, who wrote the Denice Williams hit 'Free'. think she may have been doing something for Ian Levene at the time. We actually had some good British Acts before they broke big too. Brand New Heavies and D-Influence amongst others. Am getting all nostalgic now, time to sign off!

Social source share

Too young for the Ricky-Tick but Windsor was a soul-free zone when I worked there 1984/9, although I once did some work for Sheila Ferguson of the Three Degrees who lived there!

I lived on Horton Road in Datchet and apart from hearing Gil Scott Heron the odd time at the Queens club in Colnebrook, I had to travel back up North to get my fix back then.

Also, there was a Hell's Angels chapter house on Maidenhead Road in Windsor so I always had the district down as having a history of being more hairy than mod but I was obviously mistaken.

Sounds like the Ricky-Tick was the twisted wheel of the South back in the day. You kept that one quiet lads, hope it wasn't to keep us northern monkeys out?

Social source share

Ahhh yes, GC Cameron.....forgot about him! Do remember that he booked himself out the the hotel I'd put him in because it wasn't good enough! Whereas Lou Ragland and Sidney Joe Qualls happily stayed in the spare room at my house and we had a great laugh,

The night after the Sidney Joe Qualls gig at the Old Trout we had a barbeque at my sister in law's in Windsor and he sang for everyone, it was brilliant. We recorded it on VHS. Trouble was that when we played it back all you heard was bloody aircraft noise from Heathrow take offs!

Another odd one I forgot at the Old Trout was Susaye Green of the Supremes, who wrote the Denice Williams hit 'Free'. think she may have been doing something for Ian Levene at the time. We actually had some good British Acts before they broke big too. Brand New Heavies and D-Influence amongst others. Am getting all nostalgic now, time to sign off!

Brand New Heavies was a top night too
Social source share

me and a couple of buddies used to drive there on scooters from west london ,which was a long way back then with small roads and actually park outside the front entrance without any bother and dont recall many other scooters parked up.

sometimes we might go from the Scene if it was a bad night with the cops .or some sats there was no dealers around and you couldnt get thru an allnighter without some 'leapers'

never saw any pills on sale there so it was a different place than uptown clubs where there was a good supply of hearts on sale.

20 for a pound in a plain brown envelope

shame was there were no handy small cameras available then ,just box brownies and foldable bellows cameras,hence little footage of the time is around.

mods wouldnthave lugged around big cams

Edited by sceneman
Social source share

• 11 months later...
Guest Southern Brian

MARTIN FUGGLES WILL BE PLAYING RECORDS THAT HE PLAYED AT THE RICKY TICK ON THE 11TH OF JANUARY 2014 AT THE OLD FIRE STATION WINDSOR.

Edited by Southern Brian
Social source share

Lou Ragland had a great night @ the Old Trout. He performed his spot over backing tapes and afterwards was called up on stage for an impromtu jam with the UK band (Hip Joints ?) who were also on that night (I have a cassette recording of Lou & the band's extended number here somewhere).

Also went the night Sidney Joe Qualls was on, that was another gudun.

Got some photos of SJQ and Lou at the place but no idea where they are at present. 

Social source share

• 6 years later...

I used to live just around the corner from the Ricky Tick club opposite Clewer Curch. It was a very short walk and under the Windsor Relief Road to get there, probably 2-3 minutes. I only lived there for 3 years, from age 17-20 and can remember seeing Stevie Wonder, Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames, Zoot Money and his Big Roll Band and Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band amongst others.

The club eventually fizzled out and was knocked down and they built Windsor Lido there. It was not knocked down for the motorway slip road as, the relief road that went to the M4 Slough Central roundabout, as it still does today, had already been built a year or so before we moved there.

I then frequented Pantiles in Bagshot a lot and saw many acts there,  but mostly remember Graham Bond who turned up with just Diane Stewart on congas and no sign of the rest of the band. Graham lugged in his Hammond and Leslie cabinet etc., and played sax in one hand and played the Hammond with his other hand and the bass pedals with his feet of course.

My friends and I stood close to stage and shared spliffs with him Whilst he played and sang. At the interval the rest of the band arrived having had an accident. Of course he knew nothing about where they were until they showed up. To carry a gig with consulate ease and not make a fuss said a lot about his musicianship and professionalism. 

Happy days

Edited by Sandy Sandaver
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!