• Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

post-1986-055205100 1282684082_thumb.jpg

Ta.biggrin.gif

looks a little plain don't ya think? If you want a nice gold coloured one, i'll be kind enough to do a swap with you :thumbsup:wink.gif:D

nice, never seen one before :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

Social source share

looks a little plain don't ya think? If you want a nice gold coloured one, i'll be kind enough to do a swap with you :thumbsup:wink.gif:D

nice, never seen one before :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

I'll stick it in me play box then biggrin.gif

Social source share

There are four different ways to own this one ...

Original issue - gold label (normal)

Original issue - green and gold label (rare - see scan of my copy)

Original white promo (rare-ish)

Counterfeit white promo (common)

Unfortunately Ken your scan is of the counterfeit white promo mate :thumbsup:

The easiest way to tell with the promos is the label layout/wording, the paper, and the dead wax markings

I can scan the original white promo as I have one, but need a couple of days to do it

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-099086200 1282686824_thumb.jp

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

There are four different ways to own this one ...

Original issue - gold label (normal)

Original issue - green and gold label (rare - see scan of my copy)

Original white promo (rare-ish)

Counterfeit white promo (common)

Unfortunately Ken your scan is of the counterfeit white promo mate :thumbsup:

The easiest way to tell with the promos is the label layout/wording, the paper, and the dead wax markings

I can scan the original white promo as I have one, but need a couple of days to do it

Cheers

Richard

Allways the way laugh.gif i'll pull it back out me play box for a couple of day's biggrin.gif cheers when you can Richard.

Still wanna' swap Mike ? huh.gif

Social source share

Allways the way laugh.gif i'll pull it back out me play box for a couple of day's biggrin.gif cheers when you can Richard.

Hi Ken

Here's my original white promo :tumbleweed3: I also have the counterfeit so I have compared them side-by-side

The distinguishing features are:

The lettering on the original says PROMOTIONAL COPY and NOT FOR SALE on the label spread over both sides of the label. On the counterfeit it says DJ COPY NOT FOR SALE on two lines on the left hand side of the label only (in a dodgy looking font that is not in keeping with the rest of the label text). I suspect the counterfeit was based on a copy of the label from the gold issue but with the DJ COPY etc lettering added in.

The paper and print quality on the counterfeit are quite poor. With both 45s in the hand, the print quality on the original is much sharper (it looks blurred or 'smudged' in places on the counterfeit), the paper on the original is smoother to the touch and overall of a better quality (you can feel a slight 'grain' with the tips of your fingers in the paper on the counterfeit), and the edge of the label where it meets the vinyl is sharp on the original (the label edge on the counterfeit is slightly rough - i.e. not a clear sharp line).

The counterfeit is pressed on thinner vinyl and it looks 'newer' (very subjective I know)

The deadwax on the original is 10mm deep. On the counterfeit it is 14 mm deep

The deadwax markings on the original are obvious and are MC 001 A and 95 scratched in - plus a Nashville Matrix stamped in

On the counterfeit, the deadwax marking are quite small and are all scratched in - these are MC 001 A and a very small 340

Hope this helps Ken

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-021645100 1282750530_thumb.jp

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest martyn

Was booted way way back but no idea why because it wasn't popular at anywhere I ever went - so it may even date back to Torch period

Thanks Pete , ...............A cracking record whatever

Social source share

These poor quality boots have been around since at least 1973, when I bought one at the record shop on Preston bus station(can't remember the name of the shop). For some reason it was £1-50 even then!. The label looked like a photocopy. All the othe boots & Okeh reissues(right track inst etc) were 75p. That was my first real foray into buying northern soul, with my 15th birthday money.

Paul

Social source share

ok, so i'm a tw@ :D

i had my copy sat in the sales forum for ages and it never sold ........ its still for sale, gold label :hatsoff2:

Social source share

These poor quality boots have been around since at least 1973, when I bought one at the record shop on Preston bus station(can't remember the name of the shop). For some reason it was £1-50 even then!. The label looked like a photocopy. All the othe boots & Okeh reissues(right track inst etc) were 75p. That was my first real foray into buying northern soul, with my 15th birthday money.

Paul

I thought they'd been around a long time but Pikeys Dog above disagrees - surely it wouldn't have been booted twice.

Social source share

ok, so i'm a tw@ :D

i had my copy sat in the sales forum for ages and it never sold ........ its still for sale, gold label :hatsoff2:

all still available @ offers :D

Social source share

Paul

They have been around since the early 70's as I had one myself for a lot of years until i found out it was a boot!! The shop By the way was Called "Spin A Disc" I was talking to the owner who is also called Paul only a couple of months ago at a soul night!! Atb John. :thumbsup::D

Social source share

I managed to sell mine today but I had to go down to £15!

almost every sale i've made on here i've gone down in price Pete :D i think a lot know that if they dont sell within a day i drop the price, and again, and sometimes again :thumbsup: or people pm me and offer less and most of the time i accept the offer or do a little bartering :huh:

i'd let leah go for a tenner and postage :wave:

Social source share

almost every sale i've made on here i've gone down in price Pete :D i think a lot know that if they dont sell within a day i drop the price, and again, and sometimes again :thumbsup: or people pm me and offer less and most of the time i accept the offer or do a little bartering :huh:

i'd let leah go for a tenner and postage :wave:

in fact i'd let whats left go for £35 plus postage as a job lot

Social source share

I love it - a perfect Detroit 60s dancer - which is why I have it in all 4 formats :thumbsup:

Play it out :D

Cheers

Richard

Will do I'll break me new gold copy in at the next Rugby biggrin.gif

Looks like Pete and Mike have sold too soon laugh.gif

Social source share

I have only just read this posting so sorry for coming in a bit late. The Leah Dawson boots were done by Global Records in Manchester when I was working there in 73. The owner of Global Ed Balbier would for some strange reason boot titles that were never going to sell. He was possibly told by someone in the US that it was a big title in the UK. Most likely it would have been John LaMonte at House of Sounds near Philly as the quality of the pressings were really bad like the other stuff they did. Maybe Selecta-Disc didn't want them . When the Leah Dawson arrived all the likely shops would be phoned up to get orders. The price to them would be around 75 pence but within a month or two the price would drop as shops hadn't re-ordered. I remember the records as being very thin and loads of them being warped.

Balbier never asked me what to boot and didn't say what was due in. He didn't trust anyone to advise him but then got screwed with these no hopers.

Other Global boots were

Ed Crook -That's Allright

Lovettes - Little Miss Soul

Duke Browner-Crying Over You (sold quite well but lots of faulty returns)

Arctic Titles, but these were Jamie/Guyden re issues

Rick Cooper

Social source share

I thought they'd been around a long time but Pikeys Dog above disagrees - surely it wouldn't have been booted twice.

I bought them off Pete Widdison for in my mates shop - he had a box full of em, all stone mint - I assumed they'd just been booted due to the quantity and the other boots/reissues we picked up at the time (which were definately early 90s presses) - he must have been hoarding them for the best part of 20 years if they were pressed in the mid 70s.

Social source share

So why don't anyone like it ? it's going in me play box because no-one likes it whistling.gif

for me it is one of those i have had for donkeys and liked it a lot when i first got it.

over the years i have come to like it less & less and played it less & less ...... dont happen often with records but this is one of em

Social source share

I have only just read this posting so sorry for coming in a bit late. The Leah Dawson boots were done by Global Records in Manchester when I was working there in 73. The owner of Global Ed Balbier would for some strange reason boot titles that were never going to sell. He was possibly told by someone in the US that it was a big title in the UK. Most likely it would have been John LaMonte at House of Sounds near Philly as the quality of the pressings were really bad like the other stuff they did. Maybe Selecta-Disc didn't want them . When the Leah Dawson arrived all the likely shops would be phoned up to get orders. The price to them would be around 75 pence but within a month or two the price would drop as shops hadn't re-ordered. I remember the records as being very thin and loads of them being warped.

Balbier never asked me what to boot and didn't say what was due in. He didn't trust anyone to advise him but then got screwed with these no hopers.

Other Global boots were

Ed Crook -That's Allright

Lovettes - Little Miss Soul

Duke Browner-Crying Over You (sold quite well but lots of faulty returns)

Arctic Titles, but these were Jamie/Guyden re issues

Rick Cooper

Hi Rick

Interesting stuff!

Which of the Duke Browner boots was it - the dark red label version?

Presmably the Ed Crook was the so-called 'Detroit Address' version? Yellow label with no stars?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest martyn

So why don't anyone like it ? it's going in me play box because no-one likes it whistling.gif

Well I like it :thumbsup: . Just because its not fetching silly money doesnt mean its crap ............................Thats why I possed the question "why / when was it booted" .

Top sound IMO . But then again , I don't play out so what does my opinion matter :D

And if my spellings sh!% its because I'm pised - my daughters 18th today & I'm waiting for god now :wave: Bugger who ever booted this , they should have bin grabed by the borls by LEAh

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Hi Rick

Interesting stuff!

Which of the Duke Browner boots was it - the dark red label version?

Presmably the Ed Crook was the so-called 'Detroit Address' version? Yellow label with no stars?

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard

The Duke Browner boots were on a darker red label, the lettering was smaller, the record thinner and the sound quality not too great. Global had quite a few original copies so why the boots were so bad I don't know. The Ed Crook was a yellow label which I don't remember having stars.

Cheers

Rick

Social source share

Thanks for the info Rick :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

About the same time as ''My Mechanical Man'' was causing a faint ripple (73-75) there was another record on Magic City I remember as being quite good. I think it was credited to someone+ Chocker Campell and was the number after ''MMM'. It had one unique feature in that it was a Christmas record. The words were not too soulfull but I think the track was not bad I played it once or twice at Leeds Central around Xmas. Any idea what it is and could anyone put a scan up.

Cheers

Rick

Social source share

Richard,

About the same time as ''My Mechanical Man'' was causing a faint ripple (73-75) there was another record on Magic City I remember as being quite good. I think it was credited to someone+ Chocker Campell and was the number after ''MMM'. It had one unique feature in that it was a Christmas record. The words were not too soulfull but I think the track was not bad I played it once or twice at Leeds Central around Xmas. Any idea what it is and could anyone put a scan up.

Cheers

Rick

This one Rick :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-014559500 1283021464_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!