News: The Gospel Truth - New Cd From Ace/bgp

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

This may be of some interest to people on the board Kent's sister label from the funkier side BGP is putting out this week a great little compilation of gospel soul and funk from the Stax label. It includes some of the more well known classics such as work by the Staple Singers, Rance Allen aand Joshie Jo Armstead with 'I Got The Vibes', but it also digs much deeper telling the story Stax's Gospel Truth label, and its pioneering amalgamation of soul and funk with gospel. Highlights include two cuts from the amazing Sons Of Truth, Clarence Smith's fantastic outing on 'Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child' the soul shugffling 'You Need A Friend Like Mine' by Annette Thomas and the astounding vocal harmonies of the 21st Century's 'If The Shoe Fits, Wear It'. This is Gospel music rethought in an accesable way, and often overlooked because it is on a gospel label. As with all Ace/ Kent / BGP releases it comes with a lavishly illustrated booklet, and plenty of information about the acts.

https://www.acerecord...59&release=8553

Thanks Dean, up my street (sound wise) and another one to pick up. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest rosies dad

i have a nice gospel/soul record by The Dixie Nightingales (ollie and the nightingales pre-secular music) called "i dont know"/ "keep on trying" on the Chalice label.. The publishing is east music or whatever, same as stax. Is Chalice a stax label? Any other artists on the label? jacob

Social source share

i have a nice gospel/soul record by The Dixie Nightingales (ollie and the nightingales pre-secular music) called "i dont know"/ "keep on trying" on the Chalice label.. The publishing is east music or whatever, same as stax. Is Chalice a stax label? Any other artists on the label? jacob

yep to the stax q

dont know a lot about label

but there's a chalice based cd release here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000QO6?ie=UTF8&tag=entertainingthin&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000000QO6

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!