Phillip & Lloyd (The Bluesbusters)

Swifty

Just been playing 'Baby I'm Sorry" by Phillip & Lloyd (The Bluesbusters) on Scepter

(it's on refosoul but don't know how to do)

which I think is a classy crossover tune , so I thought I'd look on e-bay and see if there

were other records by them I might like but the others seem to be Reggae titles.

Are they primarily a Reggae group ?

Cheers

Swifty :hatsoff2:

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just been playing 'Baby I'm Sorry" by Phillip & Lloyd (The Bluesbusters) on Scepter

which I think is a classy crossover tune , so I thought I'd look on e-bay and see if there

were other records by them I might like but the others seem to be Reggae titles.

Cheers

Swifty :hatsoff2:

They were the Jamaican version of Sam & Dave. They recorded an equal amount of both ska and soul I think.

Social source share

Some nice stuff as the 'Bluesbusters' :hatsoff2: Recently bought 'Inspired To Love You' which is a nice cheapie....as Pete said...very Sam & Dave...but with a bit of a Northern twist. 'Love Is The Answer' is the one to get though if I remember right.

Another one of theirs I like is 'I won't let you go'... more reggae/ska....is this a single release do you know Pete?

Social source share

blues busters - behold -

:ohmy: I can't get this to play....probably my decrepid pc though sad.gif

Just noticed the other two I mentioned are on refosoul though :hatsoff2: have to give them a try.

Na...nothing playing :yes: ....tips anyone....other than bin the pc ?

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Some nice stuff as the 'Bluesbusters' :hatsoff2: Recently bought 'Inspired To Love You' which is a nice cheapie....as Pete said...very Sam & Dave...but with a bit of a Northern twist. 'Love Is The Answer' is the one to get though if I remember right.

Another one of theirs I like is 'I won't let you go'... more reggae/ska....is this a single release do you know Pete?

It is mate, came out on 2 labels in Jamaica in 65, don't think it got a UK release - though it looks like they re-recorded it in 1980 for EMI!

Social source share

Love 'inspired to Love You', co written by Tommy Tate... they must have worked off a guide demo tape by Tommy, as the phrasing is exactly as Tommy would have sung it... beautiful...

Martin.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It is mate, came out on 2 labels in Jamaica in 65, don't think it got a UK release - though it looks like they re-recorded it in 1980 for EMI!

The EMI 45 is not the Blues Busters, it's Keith (Stewart) and Ken (Lazarus). It found its way onto the Trojan 2CD comp I did by accident - someone pulled the wrong source when compiling the master.

The other side of the EMI 45 is not by them either, it's "You Are The One" by Winston Samuels.

BTW it's worth playing all copies of their Shout 45 - while they're all labelled "Inspired To Love You"/"I Can't Stop" some of them have the stupendous southern soul ballad "Don't Lose Your Good Thing" (also cut by Jimmy Hughes) in place of "I Can't Stop"

I have a spare copy of this much rarer mispress if any Fame/Blues Busters collectors are looking for it...

BTW too, there are also two versions of "Behold" - the one on Sunshine/Island, produced in New York by Ronnie Nasralla and Byron Lee, and a different one on Capitol, produced by Luther Dixon also in New York. They're both pretty similar.

I would think that, if pressed to do so, most hardcore Blues Busters fans would say that "Soon You'll Be Gone" is their best record.

I definitely would....

BTW three, Pete said that they are the Jamaican Sam & Dave, but they were going before Sam & Dave really got their career under way. If they're like any American duo I would say that it would be something like the Sims Twins of perhaps Don and Juan, only grittier...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

The EMI 45 is not the Blues Busters, it's Keith (Stewart) and Ken (Lazarus). It found its way onto the Trojan 2CD comp I did by accident - someone pulled the wrong source when compiling the master.

The other side of the EMI 45 is not by them either, it's "You Are The One" by Winston Samuels.

BTW it's worth playing all copies of their Shout 45 - while they're all labelled "Inspired To Love You"/"I Can't Stop" some of them have the stupendous southern soul ballad "Don't Lose Your Good Thing" (also cut by Jimmy Hughes) in place of "I Can't Stop"

I have a spare copy of this much rarer mispress if any Fame/Blues Busters collectors are looking for it...

BTW too, there are also two versions of "Behold" - the one on Sunshine/Island, produced in New York by Ronnie Nasralla and Byron Lee, and a different one on Capitol, produced by Luther Dixon also in New York. They're both pretty similar.

I would think that, if pressed to do so, most hardcore Blues Busters fans would say that "Soon You'll Be Gone" is their best record.

I definitely would....

BTW three, Pete said that they are the Jamaican Sam & Dave, but they were going before Sam & Dave really got their career under way. If they're like any American duo I would say that it would be something like the Sims Twins of perhaps Don and Juan, only grittier...

I've got some lovely colour footage of The Blues Busters, it's late, around 1983 recorded at an oldies festival in New York but they are tremendous, with their matching outfits they look like a throwback to the 60's. Can't remember what they sang unfortunately. Big Youth is on the same show, as is a very drunk Delroy Wilson who is so bad that they cut his set short after he appears to drop his trousers!

Social source share

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

get the "behold" lp on Jamaican "Sunshine" record label or "Dynamic" (second press from Byron Lees label)

Its a brill LP - all the important tracks are on it

:yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

get the "behold" lp on Jamaican "Sunshine" record label or "Dynamic" (second press from Byron Lees label)

Its a brill LP - all the important tracks are on it

:thumbsup:

It''s a brill LP - true.

All the important tracks are on it - not true,

There are loads of important Blues Biusters tracks that were recorded long after the "Behold" LP was released. Almost all of them are represented on the now deleted 2CD set (also called "Behold!") that I put together on for Trojan a few years back and that covers their recording career from the late 50s to the late 70s.

All that's missing are the 'correct' version of I Won't Let You Go' (see above for explanation) and the fabulous "Ohh Baby"/"Unless", two superb soul sides that were issued back to back on a BMN 45 that is so obscure that I didn't actually know about it when I put the 2CD set together...

...I've got one now though!:yes:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

It''s a brill LP - true.

All the important tracks are on it - not true,

There are loads of important Blues Biusters tracks that were recorded long after the "Behold" LP was released. Almost all of them are represented on the now deleted 2CD set (also called "Behold!") that I put together on for Trojan a few years back and that covers their recording career from the late 50s to the late 70s.

All that's missing are the 'correct' version of I Won't Let You Go' (see above for explanation) and the fabulous "Ohh Baby"/"Unless", two superb soul sides that were issued back to back on a BMN 45 that is so that I didn't actually know about it when I put the 2CD set together...

...I've got one now though!:thumbsup:

:yes: Fair play - When you put it like that !

Its a fantastic LP .............."With a few of the most important tracks on it" :no:

I love their version of "wide awake in a dream"

Class Act !

Social source share

All that's missing are the 'correct' version of I Won't Let You Go' (see above for explanation) and the fabulous "Ohh Baby"/"Unless", two superb soul sides that were issued back to back on a BMN 45 that is so obscure that I didn't actually know about it when I put the 2CD set together...

I've been playing the hell out of that 45 lately. "Ohh Baby" is an amazing dancer in my opinion.

Will upload it to refosoul in a minute.

Social source share

...I would think that, if pressed to do so, most hardcore Blues Busters fans would say that "Soon You'll Be Gone" is their best record...

I agree with that.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert