• Replies 33
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest LeoLyxxx

went for 377$ on ebay.. i would say 200£ listed but if it's orange copy i guess a bit more..

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest toby

We bought them from Ian Clark at the Ely Anni do a few years back now at £20 a throw,8 were sold on the night.no Mick im not parting with my 2 copies just yet.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

NEVER SEEN AN ORANGE COPY. IAN CLARK HAD ABOUT 75 COPIES-THEY WERE ALL GREEN/WHITE.

Never seen it up for grabs either but seen a scan of it and it's supposed to really rare... myself i'll stick to my green/white copy...

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I know what you mean Leo you can't beat your green and clears........ooops sorry whites ;o)) must have been a freudian slip

John

Social source share

NEVER SEEN AN ORANGE COPY. IAN CLARK HAD ABOUT 75 COPIES-THEY WERE ALL GREEN/WHITE.

Me neither, not since I bought one of those 75 in the eighties.

It could be

i) Someone has booted it and intends to flog them as "the first, small run, independent release on a local label" before it was released in small numbers on a local independent label

or

ii) "It might of only been £3, but you were still ripped off Hippo, because 'Oh Lord' came out on GAR not Gold Spot" But according to Kenny they are legit

Anybody got a ides or a scan?

Social source share

Regarding the Jan Jones questions: a couple of things to think about...

This was one of the first "currently big" records that I bought in the early 1980s. It was 6 or 7 quid from Ian Clark. I think it's fair to say that when he bought back a quantity of these it caused quite a stir at the time. I remember letters being written to Black Beat about whether it would be dropped from playlists now that it had been "de-rareified".

Time tells us that it probably was dropped pretty sharpish by those like Searling and Keb who had played it when it was initially covered up (it may be my imagination, but I distinctly remember the record being faded when before it got to the "Party down in Cleveland town, yeah!" bit), or in extemely short supply.

It's interesting to read from Mick Smith that Ian had 75 of them. If that's the case, and I'm not questioning the fact, just speculating, then it took Ian a good few years to sell them all - it was still on his list for about £20 some years later, well into the 1990s.

John Smith used to write quite a few articles about Cleveland music figures for Black Beat in those days. He stated in the magazine that "some copies" of the 45 had on the b-side a ballad called something like "Give Love A Try". When I asked Ian about this in about 1985 he said he had never heard this particular rumour.

Could it be that the orange ones were the 'originals', and the green and white copies with Parts 1 & 2 were a later re-press by Day-Wood to capitalise on demand in the UK? I've never seen an orange copy, but have also heard a story that it's on red Day-Wood as well (this could be the same record). The world of Soul-Source awaits a scan of said 45 with baited breath. Many of you probably know that Jan Jones was killed in a car crash in Ohio about a year after the record became available to the general public. Which is sad, but interesting.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Sad news indeed about the car crash..

Regarding the red copies, they might be the same as the orange copies i talked about (i think i saw a scan of this some year ago, the red might've looked orange)

also if you read the sleeve notes to Togetherness 2002 it reads "two editions were issued on different colour labels, the green being the more common and the red almost impossible to find (with a price tag to match)" so i guess anybody who wants more info should talk to Mr Searling or Mr Tee ;-D

A truly good tune (my girlfriends fav.) and of course the "party hardy" part is utterly great! :-)

best

Leo

Social source share

To back Gareth's account up, I remember when Ian Clark made this available to the "masses" by finding an unknown quantity. He first sold them through the small ads of Black Echoes in April 1983 at £7 each. I phoned Ian to ask him if they were original, and he told me they were as he'd just found a load of them in the States. My copy arrived a week later, and it was the green/white issue with slapdash credits (jan jones rather than "Jan Jones"!!).

As far as I remember, Keb dropped it from his playlist in February that year, along with all other 70s/80s newies he previously played (eg, Cheryl Berdell, Curtis etc), to make way for the big "60s Mafia" sounds soon to take Stafford by storm, but that's another story!!

Gene

Social source share

On the subject of Jan Jones "Independent Woman":

I spoke to Arthur Fenn about this. He was the first deejay to have and play the record, getting it via Dave Raistrick in late 1981. Green and white labels. Has anyone out there ever actually seen the red or orange one, or is this another urban soul legend?

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Quite an interesting memory jogger this for me . I remember Keb and Dick Coombes playing some modern very early 80's and Ian Clarks wonderful sales box , plus some old bloke (who I never saw ever again) telling me that Soul Bowl had everything and at much cheaper prices , whilst at a Dick Coombes doo . .

I wonder what motivated Keb to go 60's only militant and take the NS scene by storm ? ph34r.gif:wicked:ph34r.gif

ps . Any scans from Timothy Brown yet

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

This is an interesting thread. I think it's a great record - stands the test of time for me. I didn't know Jan Jones was killed in a car crash - how sad. I often think about the artist when playing tunes - particularly on our scene as often very little is known of them.

Did Jan record anything else?

mellow.gif

Social source share

On the subject of Jan Jones "Independent Woman":

I spoke to Arthur Fenn about this. He was the first deejay to have and play the record, getting it via Dave Raistrick in late 1981. Green and white labels. Has anyone out there ever actually seen the red or orange one, or is this another urban soul legend?

I got the second/third copy (Sam may have had one as well as Arthur) from Alan Senior in early/mid 82. Searling didn't have one at the time and I cant remember it being covered up by him or Keb. It would have been a strange thing to do as the modern soul scene had played it uncovered for months before 1983.

While Richard was without doubt head and shoulders the best dj around this time, he gets credited for playing records he simply didn't have at the time they were first popular. Another example is Paul Thompson. In the Top 500 book, Kev R credits RS with first playing this around 1990. Try Poke about 8 years earlier.

Dave Raistrick was turning up some great records around this time.

Steve

Social source share

or

ii) "It might of only been £3, but you were still ripped off Hippo, because 'Oh Lord' came out on GAR not Gold Spot" But according to Kenny they are legit

Anybody got a ides or a scan?

I am right,if you dont think so i`ll give you £20 for yours....... :wicked: £30 even thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I got the second/third copy (Sam may have had one as well as Arthur) from Alan Senior in early/mid 82. Searling didn't have one at the time and I cant remember it being covered up by him or Keb. It would have been a strange thing to do as the modern soul scene had played it uncovered for months before 1983.

While Richard was without doubt head and shoulders the best dj around this time, he gets credited for playing records he simply didn't have at the time they were first popular. Another example is Paul Thompson. In the Top 500 book, Kev R credits RS with first playing this around 1990. Try Poke about 8 years earlier.

Steve

Spot on steve . My mate Ray reminded me that Keb still had Nicky Newarkers coverd in 1982/83 , but i cant remember this at all ?! .. Raistrick certainly turned some monsters up very true , who had the first Richard Caitons "Where is the love" off him

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

To back Gareth's account up, I remember when Ian Clark made this available to the "masses" by finding an unknown quantity. He first sold them through the small ads of Black Echoes in April 1983 at £7 each. I phoned Ian to ask him if they were original, and he told me they were as he'd just found a load of them in the States. My copy arrived a week later, and it was the green/white issue with slapdash credits (jan jones rather than "Jan Jones"!!).

As far as I remember, Keb dropped it from his playlist in February that year, along with all other 70s/80s newies he previously played (eg, Cheryl Berdell, Curtis etc), to make way for the big "60s Mafia" sounds soon to take Stafford by storm, but that's another story!!

Gene

Hi Gene, yes I remember the days - 70s/80s newies Cheryl Berdell, Curtis & Jan Jones, etc, still got them!!

Social source share

FUNNY HOW PEOPLE SAY THEY HAVE SEEN A RED/ORANGE COPY

YET AS UP UNTIL TODAY NO ONE HAS MANAGED TO POST A SCAN OF IT YET??

FUNNY INNIT??

DO THEY EXIST OR IS IT JUST A DREAM OF THE AMPHETAIMNE FULED LOOKING THROUGH A BOX AT A SOUL NIGHT

WHEN THE SKY WAS PURPLE SO THOERETICALLY THE LABEL MUST HAVE BEEN RED AND NOT GREEN

OR ARE THESE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN IT COLOURED BLIND??

ITS A WELL KNOWN FACT THAT C/B PEOPLE GET RED AND GREEN MIXED UP

ITS A MYSTERY..I WILL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT UNTIL THEN ITS FOLKLORE

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Quite an interesting memory jogger this for me . I remember Keb and Dick Coombes playing some modern very early 80's and Ian Clarks wonderful sales box , plus some old bloke (who I never saw ever again) telling me that Soul Bowl had everything and at much cheaper prices , whilst at a Dick Coombes doo . .

I wonder what motivated Keb to go 60's only militant and take the NS scene by storm ? :rolleyes::rolleyes::wicked:

ps . Any scans from Timothy Brown yet

i reckon the old fella would have been cockney mick.............he used to turn up at those do`s thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I CANT BELIEVE FOR ONE MOMENT THERE WERE ONLY 75 OF THEM FLOATING AROUND........MORE LIKE 300 ! SOUL BOWL USED TO HAVE AS WELL FOR A FIVER OR THEREABOUTS[THOUGH I THINK JOHN ACTUALLY GOT THEM FROM IAN]. ANYBODY STILL IN TOUCH WITH IAN ????????

HOPE YOU`RE KEEPING WELL MICK,

BEST, IVOR

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Friend of mine had one of the first copies off Dave Raistrick, was a lot more than £7.00 too :unsure:

Even I played this a lot earlier than 1990, covered as Lester Tompkins.... :unsure:

Social source share

i doubt there are any red or orange copies it was probably the dim light at a niter.....or the mind playing tricks on the unsuspecting chemical connection...synapses away!!!!!! i have quite a few of the green ones though...thought the current price was more like 250-300

soul bowl definitley had quite a few (ha ha) as with mother fox... et etc....the list is endless....how about the 150 copies of cloudburst...

mr brown does not have an orange one or thats what his missus said!!

Edited by souljazera
Social source share

I CANT BELIEVE FOR ONE MOMENT THERE WERE ONLY 75 OF THEM FLOATING AROUND........MORE LIKE 300 ! SOUL BOWL USED TO HAVE AS WELL FOR A FIVER OR THEREABOUTS[THOUGH I THINK JOHN ACTUALLY GOT THEM FROM IAN]. ANYBODY STILL IN TOUCH WITH IAN ????????

BEST, IVOR

I got mine off Ian in 1997 for about £15.

I also find it hard to believe that in the interim he sold less than 75 copies.

My copy's green and white, by the way.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

special kind of woman - lester tolkin - cleethorpes wg 1983

Tompkins? Just spent the last 23 years thinking it was Tolkin!

Are you saying Poke used to mumble :unsure:

p.s. were you going to send me a couple of live cd's at one point ???

post-1832-1172104571_thumb.jpg

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Guest mel brat

To back Gareth’s account up, I remember when Ian Clark made this available to the “masses” by finding an unknown quantity. He first sold them through the small ads of Black Echoes in April 1983 at £7 each. I phoned Ian to ask him if they were original, and he told me they were as he’d just found a load of them in the States. My copy arrived a week later, and it was the green/white issue with slapdash credits (jan jones rather than “Jan Jones”!!).

As far as I remember, Keb dropped it from his playlist in February that year, along with all other 70s/80s newies he previously played (eg, Cheryl Berdell, Curtis etc), to make way for the big “60s Mafia” sounds soon to take Stafford by storm, but that’s another story!!

Gene

I have never seen or heard of any other than green/white label copies of this record. I believe Jan Jones had another release on the label though, as I spoke to the label owner several times by phone in the early 80's - however I've forgotten his name at present! Imperial Wonders was "due for release" at around that time.

P.S. This guy also told me that his daughter was a member of the disco group MUSIQUE of "In The Bush" fame... (or should that be on a different thread.. :unsure)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

BEST, IVOR

Ivor , Ian still had some of the batch left at yarmouth in 97 (well I assume it was the orig batch??)! Me and Trev Cox had a couple off him for £15..... Traded mine though, just couldn't get on with it. Just got to the point where I thought bugger this it's too bland and :unsure: . Oh well, it was worth getting rid to go towards Corey Blake :thumbsup: .

Steve

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Ivor , Ian still had some of the batch left at yarmouth in 97 (well I assume it was the orig batch??)! Me and Trev Cox had a couple off him for £15..... Traded mine though, just couldn't get on with it. Just got to the point where I thought bugger this it's too bland and :unsure: . Oh well, it was worth getting rid to go towards Corey Blake :thumbsup: .

Steve

Same for me, sold it as its just soooooooooo boring (matter of fact I sold it to Diego from Rome) and yes he did pay me for it!!!!!

Social source share

i reckon the old fella would have been cockney mick.............he used to turn up at those do`s :thumbsup:

No I knew Mick to talk to ,early 80's Ivor ..Never saw this bloke again . but what a great bit of advice hey? , he was probably an old northern punter checking out Dick Coombes's gigs , whilst living in london digs for work !! :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!