• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest proudlove

cheers Joan

as you say Good Times indeed !

had loads of "flashbacks" while doing it, smiling times

Top post Mike......................as Carole (my wife ) is away looking after her mum post op,I wasn't going to go any where over the next couple of weeks,but due to Carole pressure,and peer pressure,I have been convinced I should go..........................so hey ho................suited,booted.................and having a blast...............

Steve.

Social source share

Wow ! just recovering from our annual All-Dayer at the Perth Irish club yesterday, and logged in to SS for a browse - to see this sad news. I'm back in UK next week-end and was gonna have a quiet one before Hitsville the following week, but now I'll grab our Angela, Pove and whoever else and we'll be there. Mike your right about taking things/places for granted, there was a time when I booked my UK trips to coincide with Lowton nights - especially the Anniversaries cos our Angela's birthday is Feb 9th and the Anniv was often on or around that date.Now I can't even remember the last time I went there, probably 2 years ago. See you there, cheers,

Denny

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

i had the opp to dj there, great venue. well done to kev for keeping it going. i still have some hand bills " lowton r.i.p." that billy was handing out when it was going to close about 8 years ago. great nights there.

Social source share

spent some great nites at the civic,hell it was shoulder to shoulder in the first few years especially the anniversaries! yes.gif

made some good new friends between there and Golbourne and the viaduct,was like the northern soul triangle :ohmy:

so,end of an era,last of those oh so well attended three to go,great memories,will load up photos as soon as,see ya there,John and Carys.

Social source share

went quite a few times as a warm up moving on elsewhere later in the evening. celebrated quite a few birthdays there and in the back room where allsorts of skullduggery was got up to. The last time i saw it jammed was at Debbie,s ?? birthday party, that dancefloor was one of the many places i acquainted with my arse on more than one occasion . somewhere that felt familiar and held no threat or risk( to me at least..) My main regret is not going to see Eddie Holman perform there, i bet that was a" night to remember".

Edited by whatsthiscalled
Social source share

Its seems a lifetime away when Kev Murphy ,Steve Connor, Dean Mitchell & Ian Whittingham & myself went around all the venues Fri , sat nite for a couple weeks prior to Lowton opening for the first time putting flyers out never in a million years did i imagine it would be so successful, some of the artist who appeard at Lowton Eddie Holman, Jerry Williams, Dean Courtney. Tommy Hunt ect

brought another dimension to a great soul nite out for soul fans here in the Northwest, in its heyday

well over 700 soulies from across the UK and Europe came to pack the Lowton Civic and hear soul music at its very best from some of the scenes best known DJ,s, the Anniversary nites became legendary with the free 45,s and later brill CD,s put together with music played throughout the year at the Civic.. Yes its a sad time that it has to end but personally i would like to thank everyone who made the Lowton Civic Hall such a great place to be on the second Fri of the month for nearly 15 years for so many wonderful times and so much awe inspiring music a big THANK YOU......................

THIS IS SOUL ..REMEMBER...BUT FOR BLACK AMERICAN SOUL MUSIC..WE WOULD NEVER HAVE MET SO MANY NICE PEOPLE, BECOME VERY GOOD FRIENDS WITH SO MANY, OR HAD OUR LIFES FULFILLED BY A TYPE OF MUSIC WHICH FOR MANY OF US, IS NOT JUST A HOBBY, BUT A WAY OF LIFE, DONT KEEP THE FAITH..SPREAD IT....

LOVE, PEACE & HAPPINESS ALWAYS...........

IAN CUNLIFFE............

Edited by IANCSLOFT
Social source share

Yeah it's very sad about the place being pulled down :lol:

My favourite era from Lowton was when they had the 3 rooms. Marvelous memories of all 3 :thumbsup: . If the Broom Cupboard is available for the final night can you stick some of us modern lot in there :lol: It would be great to end Lowton how it started, for me, with an absolutely buzzing modern room. Rumour has it there are about 150 modern refugees who would like to make this farewell party so that would be the icing on the cake :thumbsup:

I have lots of funny memories of Lowton like Mick Francis driving that fast down the East Lancs (to get there) a police car (flashing lights & sirens) had to actually slam on for us to avoid a collision :D Also the time I had to park on the football pitch (car-park FULL) and got stuck on the damn field (following a torrential downpour) so had to get an army of men to come & push me out but bless they were knee deep in mud & had to go back in the venue :lol: as the night wasn't over blush.gif

I'll be at the last one for sure, with or without a modern room, but it would be nice to bring back some of those great modern room memories & tunes so if Mr Murphy reads this pretty pretty pretty pretty please will you consider this & fix it for us thumbsup.gif

Lots of love & fond memories

Alison

xxx

Social source share

Yeah it's very sad about the place being pulled down :(

My favourite era from Lowton was when they had the 3 rooms. Marvelous memories of all 3 :thumbsup: . If the Broom Cupboard is available for the final night can you stick some of us modern lot in there :) It would be great to end Lowton how it started, for me, with an absolutely buzzing modern room. Rumour has it there are about 150 modern refugees who would like to make this farewell party so that would be the icing on the cake :thumbsup:

I have lots of funny memories of Lowton like Mick Francis driving that fast down the East Lancs (to get there) a police car (flashing lights & sirens) had to actually slam on for us to avoid a collision :D Also the time I had to park on the football pitch (car-park FULL) and got stuck on the damn field (following a torrential downpour) so had to get an army of men to come & push me out but bless they were knee deep in mud & had to go back in the venue :lol: as the night wasn't over :lol:

I'll be at the last one for sure, with or without a modern room, but it would be nice to bring back some of those great modern room memories & tunes so if Mr Murphy reads this pretty pretty pretty pretty please will you consider this & fix it for us thumbsup.gif

Lots of love & fond memories

Alison

xxx

Lol, that brings back memories Alison - me, Dru & Roz were in the modern room that night that the cars got stuck. Ace night, think Terry Jones was on, but we couldn't dig my little Puma out and had to leave it there till the morning. Poor Jim Wishart tried to help and got so covered in mud you could only see his eyes & teeth, and I had to leave my pale blue satin heels half submerged in the quagmire :lol: When we went back the next day they were playing football around it, and the whole footie team had to push the car out laugh.gif

The South London Massive second the request for a modern room swansong... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Lol, that brings back memories Alison - me, Dru & Roz were in the modern room that night that the cars got stuck. Ace night, think Terry Jones was on, but we couldn't dig my little Puma out and had to leave it there till the morning. Poor Jim Wishart tried to help and got so covered in mud you could only see his eyes & teeth, and I had to leave my pale blue satin heels half submerged in the quagmire :thumbsup: When we went back the next day they were playing football around it, and the whole footie team had to push the car out laugh.gif

The South London Massive second the request for a modern room swansong... :D

Not sure what year this was but we once had to push our feckin coach off the grass, reckon it was around 98 ish, having said that it was always a packer and the place to be on the 2nd Friday of the month,

Happy days indeed :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

really sad to be saying farewell to lowton...i had the pleasure of d j .ing there on several occasions...thanks to kev murphy and dave holt for that..and even more occasions as a punter. the record bar in its heyday was as good as anywhere.14 years guys you should be proud.:D:thumbsup: :thumbsup: thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

:lol:youve just reminded me Alison of that same night, our car had sunk in the mud, Pete n Viv Coulson tried to push it out from behind then our driver turned the engine on, youve guessed it .....the mud came flying all over them i pmsl

great times

janette x

Social source share

Lol, that brings back memories Alison - me, Dru & Roz were in the modern room that night that the cars got stuck. Ace night, think Terry Jones was on, but we couldn't dig my little Puma out and had to leave it there till the morning. Poor Jim Wishart tried to help and got so covered in mud you could only see his eyes & teeth, and I had to leave my pale blue satin heels half submerged in the quagmire ohmy.gif When we went back the next day they were playing football around it, and the whole footie team had to push the car out laugh.gif

The South London Massive second the request for a modern room swansong... :thumbup:

Yes I remember the gorgeous SLM been there that night. I think you were parked sunk near us & I do remember finding a blue pair well brown pair :g: of sandles on my next visit to Lowton. Great times indeed :yes:

:lol:youve just reminded me Alison of that same night, our car had sunk in the mud, Pete n Viv Coulson tried to push it out from behind then our driver turned the engine on, youve guessed it .....the mud came flying all over them i pmsl

great times

janette x

laugh.gif:yes: oh Janette it was funny the night of the mud bath and the Moral of the story ..... if it's pishing it down on Fri 10th September 2010 make sure you get there early so that you get a space on the car-park :g:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I had the honor of spinning a few tracks twice at Lowton and on both occasions me and Tina loved the people and were treated very well .The distance ment that it was almost impossible to make it a regular but I'll tell you something having thought about i tnow We wished we'd have gone more often .Peace to all Simon & Tina Hunt.

Social source share

great times great memories... the best for me was the rehersal of Eddie Holman and the interview i did for the magazine.. the guy was a pure gem... the bar-b-ques and charity venues and everyone concerned made Lowton the success it was. Thankyou Kev and Julie and the rest of the crowd... Big Mick :yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest johnnyonthespot

WHY'S THERE NO COMMENT REGUARDING MR DAVE HOLT ON ANY OF THIS??? DAVE PUT ALOT MORE EFFORT INTO LOWTON IN THE EARLY YEARS THAN ANYONE COULD IMAGINE.. TOPMAN DAVE THANKS TO YOU N KEV FOR THE MEMMORIES...JOHNNY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!