Famous Soul Collectors

Guest smudgesmith

Guest smudgesmith

I have heard that Steve Davis collects rare soul vinyl.Is this true? and are there any other celebs etc that collect.

If this has been done before sorry

Social source share

I have heard that Steve Davis collects rare soul vinyl.Is this true? and are there any other celebs etc that collect.

I've sold to and bought from Steve Davis, in the early days of ebay he used to sell a lot of Northern.

Sold to Wayne Hemmingway on ebay, Tim Burgess of The Charlatans on ebay, several non-Northern scene but very famous DJ's, probably more but I don't think of them as being 'famous', just normal customers. I was more star-struck when I met Dave Hill from Slade in my village post office (until I found out he was a miserable grumpy old c*nt)

Social source share

I've sold to and bought from Steve Davis, in the early days of ebay he used to sell a lot of Northern.

Sold to Wayne Hemmingway on ebay, Tim Burgess of The Charlatans on ebay, several non-Northern scene but very famous DJ's, probably more but I don't think of them as being 'famous', just normal customers. I was more star-struck when I met Dave Hill from Slade in my village post office (until I found out he was a miserable grumpy old c*nt)

No comment:lol: .Paul Weller collects i'm told.

Social source share

Steve is a serious Soul collector. He was (or still is) part owner of Voices From The Shadows (record list) and was a regular visitor to Soul Essence at one time.

Knows his stuff and has great taste!

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

One music over, the former England cricketer Derek Pringle is an avid reggae collector, his particular preference being 70s roots music....

Social source share

Steve is a serious Soul collector. He was (or still is) part owner of Voices From The Shadows (record list) and was a regular visitor to Soul Essence at one time.

Sean

He was a regular visitor to a few soul nights including the Canal Tavern in Thorne in the 80's. He used to have a radio show, on Invictus Radio I think.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there believe it or not but Ian "lemmy" Kilminster of Hawkwind and motorhead fame has one of the best motown and r-n-b collections in the country .Motorheads first legal release was I'm sure a cover of Motowns "leaving here" on Chiswick records I was told that Lemmy's first group was a mod outfit called the motown set or the motown sect and I've seen photo's of him when he was a mod in Kiderminster.So get your heads round that one.ATB Simon Hunt.

Social source share

Hi there believe it or not but Ian "lemmy" Kilminster of Hawkwind and motorhead fame has one of the best motown and r-n-b collections in the country .Motorheads first legal release was I'm sure a cover of Motowns "leaving here" on Chiswick records I was told that Lemmy's first group was a mod outfit called the motown set or the motown sect and I've seen photo's of him when he was a mod in Kiderminster.So get your heads round that one.ATB Simon Hunt.

Think you're right about everything there but not sure about the Kidderminster bit!

Social source share

Don't know if it is appropriate to the thread Smudge but watching a documentary about the Beatles yesterday on ITV4 when they returned back from the first tour of America, John Lennon is carrying a Major Lance Album. Also lead to believe Dale Winton is a collector, and I saw Paul Frear who played Barry Grant on Brookside at a Prestatyn Weekender a couple of years ago. Yocky

Ps I think there is a famous fish fryer in Skegness called Coops collects a few toones!!

Social source share

Mickey Gynn ex pro' footballer for Coventry City, and I saw him play when he was at Peterborough United v Aldershot Town in the old Fourth division about 1982 I think. Scored a screamer that night from about 25 yards out.

Best

Molly

Social source share

Bloody eck Andy i was pretty famous in me younger day's on 2 wheels..... LOOK NO FURTHER MATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Tone the bone. XX

Social source share

Sean

Besides attending The Canal Tavern ( Thorne ) as a punter in the 80s , I am sure Steve Davis once DJ'd there .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Really Malc?

I never missed a Thorne and I dont recall that mate.

What makes you think that?

You bin on the double Ovaltines again?

:yes:

Sean

laugh.gif:thumbup: :thumbup:

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Really Malc?

:thumbsup:

Sean

B***ocks : I am sure he both attended ( albeit infrequently ) and once DJ'd at TCT :yes:

Malc

Social source share

Corinne Drewery from Swing Out Sister was an avid soul fan.

She was a regular at Cleethorpes and is a mate of my mates wife.The bloke from the office is a soul fan.Steve Stange and Dave Ball leading lights from the New Romantic era were Mecca regulars.Re Ian Kilminster (Lemmy).His drummer cant remember his name was a skinhead from the original era .....was it Filthy Animal Taylor?? See picture below...... . Steve Davis is also a massive fan of prog rockers Magma from Germany so its not only soul that rocks his boat.Ive a tape with Steve Davis on with him raving about the Budweiser releases/Milton Parker/Rena Scott etc I used to see the bloke who presents late night baseball at soul weekenders (southport ) in the 90's...Im sure he deejayed as well.Richard Searling who was involved in Warsaw (pre Joy Division and got them to do Keep On Keeping On) is known to like a soul record or 2.What about Chris King....wasnt he in KWS who had a hit with please dont go and ploughed the motown vaults.When I was doing the Rocket old tango man Dale Winton turned up and even offered to deejay!!.We also had Nick (Telstar and Lock Stock) Moran in as well.He's into soul and funk..Shaun Ryders brother is into northern as is Mani from Primal Scream. Well into his scooters as well as was Ian Brown who I believe was in the Crusaders scooter club . KWS on TOTP....can anyone confirm Chris King on keyboards

post-18577-067217100 1283795794_thumb.jp

post-18577-067217100 1283795794_thumb.jp

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Eric Knowles from Antiques roadshow has a good collection.

Sorry but no he doesn't.

He has about a hundred record tops and the extent of his knowledge is Joy Lovejoy etc. He still loves R&B and soul but was never really into Northern.

I know this because he was the fellow of my course when I was at university and I asked him.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Heres Warsaw track with the Keep On Keeping on Backing.Wonder if Ian Curtis had the 45

It was a long way from the Ric Tic revue and Hinkley for Chris King

One of the comments -----

"If u dislike this, You are officially a MORON"

:thumbup:laugh.gif

I feel so much better now I know what I am biggrin.gif

Social source share

Heres Warsaw track with the Keep On Keeping on Backing.Wonder if Ian Curtis had the 45

It was a long way from the Ric Tic revue and Hinkley for Chris King

I don't think he did. Richard tried to make them do the cover and that was that. They kept the riff and turned it into a completely different thing.

Still a great track, IMO. Here's the version off Unknown Pleasures:

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

What about Paul O'Grady and Dale Winton. Maybe they have some records

Paul O'Grady was on Alan Carr and he mentioned a bout going clubbing and picking up girls lol

Social source share

Guest alanbonthrone

Mickey Gynn ex pro' footballer for Coventry City, and I saw him play when he was at Peterborough United v Aldershot Town in the old Fourth division about 1982 I think. Scored a screamer that night from about 25 yards out.

Best

Molly

Wayne Rooney likes old boots.

Social source share

Sorry but no he doesn't.

He has about a hundred record tops and the extent of his knowledge is Joy Lovejoy etc. He still loves R&B and soul but was never really into Northern.

I know this because he was the fellow of my course when I was at university and I asked him.

He might of bought a load at a car boot or road show since then Joan!! :yes::):D:lol:

Social source share

What about Paul O'Grady and Dale Winton. Maybe they have some records

Paul O'Grady was on Alan Carr and he mentioned a bout going clubbing and picking up girls lol

Don't think he would have carried 'em far but he does insist on him going to Wigan maybe he saw the lactics or the rugby!! :yes::):D:lol:

Social source share

Really Malc?

:hatsoff2:

Sean

As a regular DJ at the Canal Tavern i can confirm Steve DID DJ there, only the once i recolect,not

the greatest DJ on the planet (he was very nervous) but played some quality tunes.He is into Progressive

Rock in a big way according to an interview he did on 5Live Radio, Got him on film at afew of the soul essences

he attended browsing the record bars, Top Bloke and quite witty, always up for a chat on anything soulfull

Rick

Social source share

As a regular DJ at the Canal Tavern i can confirm Steve DID DJ there, only the once i recolect,not

the greatest DJ on the planet (he was very nervous) but played some quality tunes.He is into Progressive

Rock in a big way according to an interview he did on 5Live Radio, Got him on film at afew of the soul essences

he attended browsing the record bars, Top Bloke and quite witty, always up for a chat on anything soulfull

Rick

Gawd bless ya Rick,

Malc will be pleased. :yes:

I honestly don't remember Steve behind the decks. Did he once cover for Rods early hour?

But I do remember you there, many times.

Always top stuff! :hatsoff2:

Sean

Social source share

He is into Progressive Rock in a big way according to an interview he did on 5Live Radio

He is a big fan of the band, Magma, as previously pointed out...in fact he put his hand in his own pocket to help finance the release of two of their LPs via Charly Records. I recall one sales meeting he came down to the offices and was more than happy to come out for lunch down the local pub with us roughie toughie reps...he was first to put his hand in his pocket to pick up the tab as well, which was nice! A thoroughly nice guy (as others also note) and was able to laugh at the 'interesting' image he had in the media, even though it really wasn't a faire reflection of the man.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All Danny Baker (Millwall Jes) when he first did Radio 5live, he presented it with another geezer also a Londoner Danny ??? I cant remember his surname, He had a large Rare SKA REGGAE, it seems incongruent, but I have let his secret out, READ ALL ABOUT IT! I wonder if he wore Ox Blood Dr Martins 12 hole, Still cant think of his name, Tip off my tongue stuff. and the main man ELTON JOHN's famous collection, fabulous stuff :D DAVE KIL

Social source share

Gawd bless ya Rick,

Malc will be pleased. :D

I honestly don't remember Steve behind the decks. Did he once cover for Rods early hour?

But I do remember you there, many times.

Always top stuff! :hatsoff2:

Sean

Thank you Rick ( " As a regular DJ at the Canal Tavern i can confirm Steve DID DJ there, only the once i recolect " ) .

I knew I was right , and not going doolally more than normal :D

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!