Famous Soul Collectors

Guest smudgesmith

:hatsoff2: Hi All Danny Baker (Millwall Jes) when he first did Radio 5live, he presented it with another geezer also a Londoner Danny ??? I cant remember his surname, He had a large Rare SKA REGGAE, it seems incongruent, but I have let his secret out, READ ALL ABOUT IT! I wonder if he wore Ox Blood Dr Martins 12 hole, Still cant think of his name, Tip off my tongue stuff. and the main man ELTON JOHN's famous collection, fabulous stuff :D DAVE KIL

Bumped into Danny Baker a few times in a record shop in Lewisham. He lives in Blackheath. He was looking for ska and reggae.He told me his dad used to work at the docks and was always bringing records home......he used to use some of them as frisbees.Robert Elms BBC London is a big soul and jazz fan but more on the funk side.

Social source share

:thumbsup:HI ALL AND THANKS TO THE ALL THE SS BACK UP TEAM , THANKS ,:boxing: THE LATE GREAT EDWIN STARR, LOVED THE NORTHERN SOUL SCENE AND CERTAINLY NEW THE RECORDS AND HE TURNED MANY OF HIS FELLOW YANKS ONTO THE RARE SOUL SCENE, JUST REFLECTING ON HIM , HE WENT TO EVEY TOP ALL-NIGHTER ,ORIGINAL TWISTED WHEEL BROTHER TO BOOT!, i DID A COUPLE OF GIGS WITH HIM , HOWEVER i NO HE INVITED SOUL JOURNALISTS AND CLOSE FRIEND TO HIS HOUSE , THEY MIGHT NO IF HE HAD A BIG ONE.OR INDEED A HUGE ONE, RECORDS OF COARSE??ph34r.gif DAVE
Social source share

Bumped into Danny Baker a few times in a record shop in Lewisham. He lives in Blackheath. He was looking for ska and reggae.He told me his dad used to work at the docks and was always bringing records home......he used to use some of them as frisbees.Robert Elms BBC London is a big soul and jazz fan but more on the funk side.

:thumbsup: THATS THE AREA OF LONDON THAT MICK SMITH COMES FROM NEWCROSS, IT WAS ALWAYS RUFF BERMONDSEY LONDON BRIDGE NEW CROSS. RUFF IT MAY BE. BUT NOT A PATCH ON SMART YOUTH FROM EAST LONDON, ESSEX & ANY ONE WHO WORE A FORD DAGANHAM DONKEY JACKET, LISTEN TO DANNY BAKER PRONOUNCE MILLWALL AS MOST PEOPLE WILL SAY MILL-WALL, I WILL GIVE THE HEADHUNTERS AND HALFWAY LINERS ALL f ALL:ph34r: DAVE WHUFC SPIRIT OF 69 OI! OI! KIL

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

On the footee theme - Les Ferdinand is a big collector. When Chris Waddle moved to Spurs he said there wasn't any Northern Soul in London!

Mark C

Les used to buy his music from Time Is Right (Goldhawk Rd branch) when he was playing for QPR.

Martin Freeman collects 6ts/7ts soul.

I've not seen Steve Davis for sometime but I did some trades with him 20 years ago when he had a place near Gallows Corner.

He had a good record collection and impressive electrostatic speakers to hear them on. He used to venture out to soul do's a bit back then, last time I saw him was at Essence where we had a good catch up. I remember the look on my brother's face when I got home and Steve had left a message on the family answer machine mentioning record titles just after I first met him in a second hand record store in Romford.

Social source share

Shifty sold a record to Burt Bacharach a couple of years ago. Old Burt phoned him up to order it too...how cool is that!

Chris

Chris,

Shifty should have said "Sorry but I have a higher offer from someone called Hal David".

:lol:

Social source share

• 8 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Martin Freeman - Freeman is a big fan of soul, motown and jazz music, presenting an episode of BBC Two's The Culture Show in 2009 entitled "Martin Freeman Goes To Motown".[33] He has also selected music in the past for a motown compilation entitled Made To Measure[34] and has recently worked on a jazz compilation with friend Eddie Piller entitled Jazz On The Corner, which was released on Acid Jazz Records on 23 March 2018, featuring tracks by musicians including Kamasi Washington and The Brand New Heavies.[35] The pair presented Craig Charles' Funk and Soul Show on 31 March.[36] In 2019 a follow-up album to Jazz on the Corner was announced, entitled Soul on the Corner featuring tracks by artists including Leroy Hutson and Bobby Womack

Social source share

4 hours ago, Binky said:

Martin Freeman - Freeman is a big fan of soul, motown and jazz music, presenting an episode of BBC Two's The Culture Show in 2009 entitled "Martin Freeman Goes To Motown".[33] He has also selected music in the past for a motown compilation entitled Made To Measure[34] and has recently worked on a jazz compilation with friend Eddie Piller entitled Jazz On The Corner, which was released on Acid Jazz Records on 23 March 2018, featuring tracks by musicians including Kamasi Washington and The Brand New Heavies.[35] The pair presented Craig Charles' Funk and Soul Show on 31 March.[36] In 2019 a follow-up album to Jazz on the Corner was announced, entitled Soul on the Corner featuring tracks by artists including Leroy Hutson and Bobby Womack

will merge this topic with this one in a bit as covering similar ground

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!