Funky Northern

Guest bedge

• Replies 174
  • Views 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

:DStrange actualy...I always liked tunes that had a bit of a funky edge...but I couldn't bear a lot of the modern tunes. Like it all now though to be honest...much less selective.

Same here Bogue. As long as I want to dance to it...... :thumbsup:

Here's my current fave, although from a dance pov it could do with being speeded up!

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Ann Sexton done some great funky edged soul. 'I still love you' being another great example

I gotta agree with most things said on this whole thread so far, brilliant music this is.

Tempo variences, soul funk crossing over - debates about where it starts and ends, great stuff.

A lot of the tunes mentioned thus far are quite big on the money stakes but the great thing about this stuff being relatively undiscovered (compared to say the out and out 60's soul Chalky elluded to earlier) is that you can pick a lot up cheap. Just a case of getting out there, digging and listening.

Original post mentioned about a compilation CD; Thinking i'll be making one for my own ears at home based on this thread, awsome stuff!!

Azza

been spinning 'i still love you' for over 7 years now, think its got to be one of my favourite records

Social source share

been spinning 'i still love you' for over 7 years now, think its got to be one of my favourite records

And me mate.... Always thought it was a great dancer...

You know why it aint took off... Because its cheap :lol: .. But that topic is for another day and thread...

Threads like this do bring up so many tracks of interest,a thread that can be looked at time and time again over the years for reference and inspiration... Like the deep/ ballad/ crossover etc etc threads of the past....

:lol:

Social source share

:g:Strange actualy...I always liked tunes that had a bit of a funky edge...but I couldn't bear a lot of the modern tunes. Like it all now though to be honest...much less selective.

Same here Bogue. As long as I want to dance to it...... :lol:

Here's my current fave, although from a dance pov it could do with being speeded up!

Yep like that one Maark :lol: ....don't mention speeding up though...that's reared it's head in another thread :)

Reminded me of another old favourite that was played wayback too...the Parliments Testify....still love it :yes:

Social source share

Yep like that one Maark :lol: ....don't mention speeding up though...that's reared it's head in another thread :g:

Reminded me of another old favourite that was played wayback too...the Parliments Testify....still love it :lol:

The bass riff of 'All your Goodies' reminds me of this which is the kinda dance tempo I like. :yes:

Social source share

plenty of folk bin playing the odd funk edged dance tune in their sets.......great say l........but sets dominated by this great stuff ......paul s......is one fella ,but to really bring it to the fore at the mighty burnley allnighter 2/3 years ago......the gold medal goes to the mighty KARL HEARD........as they say head and shoulders above........ya gotta go where he plays to get a taste..........keep the faith peggy babcock:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:lol:

Funky as Hell

Social source share

The follow-up to 'Baby Come Back' in 70 with Eddie Grant on Lead vocals.....charted on epic or possibly Parliiament or Directoin... :thumbsup:

Eddie Grant owner and producer on a lot of early UK reggae and soul labels.Theres two great UK Funkers in Zappata Schmidts Hey Man Why on Torpedo and and also someone in the crowd on Uk President. They did an Lp with a picture of a mincing machine on the front which is nothing to write home about.Equals also did Funky Like A Train later on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ORN1Ren-Y&feature=relatedand also this one which is more moddy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoEJUg6CcBc.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Andy Kempster

thought i would kick start this thread...must be so much more out there to enjoy

here's one to start with

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Got this from a car boot about 3 years back,sold it to a respected guy on here.It did the biz for him.!!.Great tune btw.:thumbsup:

This was in a UK mobile disco collection I bought about 10 years back... Was one of the only soul imports and completely out of place.. Asked the DJ owner about it... he couldn't remember it.. Sure I spun it at Happiness Stans @ Smithfields and Deep Funk too... Tune !

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

thought i would kick start this thread...must be so much more out there to enjoy

here's one to start with

The Rotations made some brilliant 45s... Didn't know this one ..

Edited by Lobster Madras
Social source share

if this is where the scene is heading then im certainly looking forward to the journey :lol:

Hmm. Or to look at it another way ...

Says the bloke who thinks second rate funk records are the future of Northern Soul...

More and more dj's are buying into the emporer's new clothes style of music and I can hear them all groan and look at the ceiling saying this and that about fresh & new and 'tired old stompers etc... Fuck that! Northern Soul is Northern Soul and Funky New Northern Funk Soul Shite ISN'T..

Sorry but for me it falls way short of what we used to call northern soul.

I think events should have a 'funky' disclaimer on them if that is going to be their policy, so I'll know to avoid them.

PS, I know for a fact that I am not alone in this observation and I'm not just talking about pete s. :(

Social source share

Hmm. Or to look at it another way ...

More and more dj's are buying into the emporer's new clothes style of music and I can hear them all groan and look at the ceiling saying this and that about fresh & new and 'tired old stompers etc... Fuck that! Northern Soul is Northern Soul and Funky New Northern Funk Soul Shite ISN'T..

Sorry but for me it falls way short of what we used to call northern soul.

I think events should have a 'funky' disclaimer on them if that is going to be their policy, so I'll know to avoid them.

PS, I know for a fact that I am not alone in this observation and I'm not just talking about pete s. ph34r.gif

How was Va Va Voom Ian?:hatsoff2:

Social source share

IMHO, this thread contains some really good records along with some rubbish, which is precisely what you're bound to get with any genre (or however you want to phrase it) and a range of tastes. Of course, it's always been thus.

The thing I really don't get though is the apparent preoccupation with 'banging uptempo' ... is everyone off their tits? Anything less than frothing at the mouth pace, all friggin night, is seen by some as a non-starter, which immediately renders obselete and effectively unplayable some of the greatest records ever played on the scene - again, IMHO of course.

Moreover, any dj daring to play anything less than 'uptempo' is seen as being guilty of 'killing' (or at least wounding) a night it seems. Wasn't that one of the skills that separated the top lads from also rans and selling platers like me: the ability to mix it up and blend records together?

I ask as someone who danced virtually solid all night at every venue I went to for about 15 years, until my knees fell off :no: I honestly can't recall that mentality prevailing (since about 82 - the last couple of years. It certainly didn't make me sit and stroke my chin just because it wasn't 'uptempo'. Come to think of it though, I was off my tits for a fair proportion of that time :D )

Hard as I try I still don't get it and the most worrying bit I think is that the drive to keep it 'banging' dictates, inevitably, that records that would never, were never and will never be good enough get major plays while rafts of high quality mid-tempo stuff lies dormant. It's day will come again I hope. In the meantime, an hour (or sometimes hour after hour :hatsoff2: ) of 'banging, funky-edged' tackle can quite easily merge into a seemingly endless, messy, brass-laden, fuzzy guitar-driven racket. (Theron & Darrell on the other hand hatsoff2.gif )

Being a realist, I do recognise though that I'm in a minority of maybe 3 nationally - even that may be optimistic - so I'll stick to the local broom cupboards for now and wait for father time to take his inevitable toll on you maniacs:lol:

Edited by PhilT
Social source share

How was Va Va Voom Ian?:D

Pretty funky! Don't wanna diss Saturday, those boys had their hands full all night with let down sound engineers, townie arseache and yeah, more than enough to worry about. Musically wide of the mark for me though I did have a step about when eduardo spun my old George Tinley number. That was the only record I danced to thoughy. Normally there, I would expect to be out on the floor for a significant chunk of the night.

I don't know if it warrants another thread, but are we to assume now that the oil field of 60's detroit sounding discoveris has run totally dry? Or is the emporer ceasing to look as he has his new clothes and they are funky.

Social source share

IMHO, this thread contains some really good records along with some rubbish, which is precisely what you're bound to get with any genre (or however you want to phrase it) and a range of tastes. Of course, that's been the case since I started going to nighters 25+ years ago.

The thing I really don't get though is the apparent preoccupation with 'banging uptempo' ... is everyone off their tits? Anything less than frothing at the mouth pace, all friggin night, is seen by some as a non-starter, which immediately renders obselete and effectively unplayable some of the greatest records ever played on the scene - again, IMHO of course.

Moreover, any dj daring to play anything less than 'uptempo' is seen as being guilty of 'killing' (or at least wounding) a night it seems. Wasn't that one of the skills that separated the top lads from also rans and selling platers like me: the ability to mix it up and blend records together?

I ask as someone who danced virtually solid all night at every venue I went to for about 15 years, until my knees fell off :huh: I honestly can't recall that mentality prevailing at any point from '81 until the last couple of years. It certainly didn't make me sit and stroke my chin just because it wasn't 'uptempo'. (Come to think of it, I was off my tits for a fair proportion of that time :lol: )

Hard as I try I still don't get it and the most worrying bit I think is that the drive to keep it 'banging' dictates, inevitably, that records that would never, were never and will never be good enough get major plays while rafts of high quality mid-tempo stuff lies dormant. It's day will come again I hope. In the meantime, an hour (or more :ohmy: ) of this tackle simply merges into one, very long, messy, brass-laden, fuzzy guitar-driven racket; not cutting-edge, just irritating and tedious.

Being a realist, I do recognise though that I'm in a minority of maybe 3 nationally - even that may be optimistic - so I'll stick to the local broom cupboards for now and wait for father time to take his inevitable toll on you maniacs:lol:

Well said Phil .......and don't worry mate,your not alone ,deffo more than 3 like minded out there.

Too much of anything becomes tedious and boring ...be it uptempo ,mid-tempo or ballad....mixing things up is and always has been the mark of a good dj ........:thumbsup:

Now back to the funking subject wink.gif

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Pretty funky! Don't wanna diss Saturday, those boys had their hands full all night with let down sound engineers, townie arseache and yeah, more than enough to worry about. Musically wide of the mark for me though I did have a step about when eduardo spun my old George Tinley number. That was the only record I danced to thoughy. Normally there, I would expect to be out on the floor for a significant chunk of the night.

I don't know if it warrants another thread, but are we to assume now that the oil field of 60's detroit sounding discoveris has run totally dry? Or is the emporer ceasing to look as he has his new clothes and they are funky.

Shame about the fracas at VVV:( .The oilfield may be drying up for us mere mortals,but luckily the major guys still have access.

Here's on i'm behind atm - at the right place right time.

mary davis - danger (playboy at work) -

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!