Saturday Night-Sunday Morning 30 Minute Spot

dthedrug

:thumbsup: Hi All QUESTION:- If by any chance were asked to do a half hour spot 2.00 to 2.30am at a leading All-Nighters (and we all deserve it? DON'T WE!) it does not matter what they have been playing over the last 6 months. What would your play list look like? how many records do you think you can play? (I bet you say 10) and how many records would you take? and at the end of your spot "how do you feel" did you play all or part of your play list, or did you feel pressure to conform to trying to focusing playing your High Priced Rare one's....

LETS AVE A GOI as I collect UK stuff , I thought I would leave them at home & Play Some USofA orig..(well I think they are) HERE Goes.

To start with I wold take about 100 records as I have always enjoyed letting others havened a look, It.s an integral must for me.

second I would be tempted to do a "Deller" to fade out the last DJs record ,thus getting 60 second for me, so to make them Happy I would verbalize for the 30 seconds before my acquired 1 minute that I have nicked from them. You know how it goes " and a big Hand for Mr Clap now you have listen to that crap! lets have something special....YOWZER YOWZER 123 big intro record! to get em dancing a little more verbal, insult them if that.s what it takes by playing a couple of classics (make sure they have not been played earlier? or the big sin the Top DJ booked for that night was ot gonna play it as part of his set a big no no!(however if it was me I would Evey time) no I wont play "the Spoiler" put it back no it's gotta be this of my play list:-

#10 Jay D Martin "By Yourself Tower#403 think of what you could of picked?..good starter I say & a few more are on the floor(don't F**k up now, keep them there.

#9 as sad and lonely starts the fade out ..and fade in "love is blind" yes it the classic from Wigan or was it VAVAs who cares, and thank god I did not put the Vogues "thats the tune" CO&CE242 that you got from Mick Smith for £2 at the record fair... thats a Soul Sam find. Shit there is only 15 seconds left and I have not told you the Title or picked the next record (thats it blame it on the pills you took 20 minutes ago) with a "that was Ron Holden Ill forgive and Forget CHALLENGE 59360 DEMO and i cant add the fact that I had an issue of it from the SCTCHMAN JA in 76.

#8 Theresa Lindsy "It's love" CORREC-TONE 1053-A what a fabulous record, classic Detroit that top collectors shun in favor for rare west coast sounds emulating the sound of the Moter City?(good intro, should of started with that)

#7a TWISTED WHEEL forgotten oldie and never played! Sonny Warner "bell bottom blue jeans" CHECKER straight into

#6 "a love reputation" Denise Lasselle TARPON T-6603 GREEN. (GOD 5 DOWN AND 18 MINUTES LEFT, BETTER PUT ONE OF YOUR HARD TO FIND CLASSICS ON)AH Yes

#5 "The Record" Ken Lazarus on JA-SOUL (YEP THATS GOTTA FEW HEADS TURNING AS WELL I INTENDED AS IT' ALTOGETHER BETTER THAN OTHER VERSIONS AND GOT A BIT MORE TEMPO MAKE SURE i KEEP THAT AS A COVER UP! no one would believe me any way as ken is only remembered for his Rude Bwoy songs on a LP

#4 Little Jr Jesse "ain't no big thing" DYNAMIC 110 what can I say about a quality soul sound except if you don't no it buy it, it.s a Diamond, I ain't a clue what it fetches as I raked it out of Butch's SHIT BOX? I love his SHIT BOX! he rarely allows people touch it.

#3 Drake & the Enchanters "Please Leave me" Alteen records great tune that does not get played much or at all? again not sure of price about £100 don't give me crap if you paid more as it could be worth more I dunno Pal so back of....Phew that was a close one, (never show the whites of your Knuckles on the SOUL SCENE,It's just not done??

#2 Betty Turner "be Carefully Girl" LIBERTY 55861 DEMO, what a true classic fits right in the slot which is owned by Barbara mcNair. and of the must have UK UA LP VA. #1 Was gonna be a true wigan classic However I flipped it over, this was a sort after recored about 6 years ago until people realized it got a UK release still I have Both the Jelly Beens "I'm Hip to you" ESKEE10.001

#1*****Yes it gets 5 stars every time the Soulville All Stars "I'm gonna get to you" SOULVILLES V-1003-A This is without a doubt in my all time TOP 20 for some reason this and the final track reminds me of the CAMBRIDGE AND BEDFORD soul scene DJs Like Tony Deller & Hammy plus every thing else, happy days happy soul beat. #1 for real and i have changed my mind it was gonna be MARVIN HOLMES & JUSTICE but my fingers moved passed it and stopped on a rare 7ts classic NORTHERN SOUL record played to death at SAMANTHA'S along with Shirley Lawson & Joe Hicks, it is from the original Northern Soul Scene it;Ila VAN "YOU MADE ME THIS WAY" PIP8933 1972, WOW WHAT A REAL CLASSIC THAT SOUNDS BETTER WITH EVEY PLAY (HERE WE GO THERES A FACE TRY TO CUT IN ON ME! NO WAY PAL,i AM OLY 2 MINUTES OVER AND THE FLOOR IS PACKED i WHIP ANOTHER TUNE ON TO THE DECKS, AND TALK TO THE FACE IN COCKNEY AND PLAY AN instrumental THAT i GOT FROM MICK SMITH IN 1073 on CLOCK (see what i did there) BERT KEY ES "DO-DO-DO-BAH-AH GREAT ENDER, Hang on this geezer has some front, what's hiss game fading me out, WELL I NEVER it's only Mick, that's cool. the end...now it's your turn over to and out.

:lol: DAVE (JUST 4 FUN) KILWORTH.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:hatsoff2: Hi KEV....Cheers but I just don't get it???Any chance of a quick WORD from yourself??:yes: DAVE(the BLADE) KIL

I think he is referring to the fact that your post is a little hard to read.

How can anyone decide what they are going to play in advance?

Every night is different and as such each spot should decided when you get up there.

What if a DJ before you plays one of your tunes? Do you get your blade out? :D

Social source share

Dave, you have a lot of good to say and plenty of knowledge to share but how you write your posts it may as well be in Chinese at times. When you leave no spaces after commas (usually one space) and full stops (usually two spaces) and highlighting everything you write makes it as others have said difficult and people just give up reading.

Try leaving a space and setting your text out in paragraphs, leave the caps locks off and don't highlight or make all your text bold, it will be a lot better for everyone. :D:thumbsup: I'll edit your original post for you a little later to show what I mean.

Social source share

Apologies Dave.Its just that the epic you wrote is a little difficult to read.:thumbsup:

:hatsoff2: Hi All....And fellow droogs viddy this, as a dyslexic individual, I accept ye criticism argot my Pauling grandma, HOWEVER I am self educated, as when you lot were rushing home from school to watch Hop Long Casiday or the Disco Kid, I was to busy on the run from Approved Schools and Kids Homes when you had to sleep with.

1 eye open just in case a masters hand crept under the sheets, As a kid I traveled the country, often going missing for weeks with the knowledge that when caught I would have the crap knocked out of me! as such, on leaving school my aspirations for my future did not include studying a Pitman's coarse to become a officiant security, and Borstol Boys train as brick layers or painters and decorators and learn intellectualism by the nod of the head, plus you add the fact that I am West Ham United with the Spirit of 69, which means, I am the real McCoy...this makes me a true scholar from the school of hard knocks.

But I do accept that this is important to you, so I would suggest to get my drift! of story telling, read 2 books from William S Burroughs Dead Fingers Talk a true cult fiction Book, also the name of a great Band that I worked with in 1976 from Hull. and his classic the SOFT MACHINE, the story of 2 people on a LSD trip on a train, both of them are Homosexuals,

To conclude D

theDRUG broad base, transpires and genuine openness is greater than the sum of it's part?...a true response sent with SOUL, plus the fact that I was speeding might have played a part in the story, so hurry up as I have been offerd 1 hour this weekend!!!:thumbup: DAVE(the PEN) KIL

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All....And fellow droogs viddy this, as a dyslexic individual, I accept ye criticism argot my Pauling grandma, HOWEVER I am self educated, as when you lot were rushing home from school to watch Hop Long Casiday or the Disco Kid, I was to busy on the run from Approved Schools and Kids Homes when you had to sleep with.

1 eye open just in case a masters hand crept under the sheets, As a kid I traveled the country, often going missing for weeks with the knowledge that when caught I would have the crap knocked out of me! as such, on leaving school my aspirations for my future did not include studying a Pitman's coarse to become a officiant security, and Borstol Boys train as brick layers or painters and decorators and learn intellectualism by the nod of the head, plus you add the fact that I am West Ham United with the Spirit of 69, which means, I am the real McCoy...this makes me a true scholar from the school of hard knocks.

But I do accept that this is important to you, so I would suggest to get my drift! of story telling, read 2 books from William S Burroughs Dead Fingers Talk a true cult fiction Book, also the name of a great Band that I worked with in 1976 from Hull. and his classic the SOFT MACHINE, the story of 2 people on a LSD trip on a train, both of them are Homosexuals,

To conclude D

theDRUG broad base, transpires and genuine openness is greater than the sum of it's part?...a true response sent with SOUL, plus the fact that I was speeding might have played a part in the story, so hurry up as I have been offerd 1 hour this weekend!!!:thumbsup: DAVE(the PEN) KIL

Greta post

DJ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert