Book Recommendations Sought

Guest xraysoulstar

Guest xraysoulstar

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some good reading material. I read Peter Guralnik's Southern Soul Story a few years back and Gerri Hirshey's Nowhere to Run and I'm looking for material in a similar vein.

I recently read Reg Sticking's book and had previously read David Nowell's Too Darn Soulful and Pete McKenna's Nightshift, and whilst I really enjoyed them I'm really looking for books about the artists and labels rather than the recollections of people on the Soul scene.

Biographical recommendations also welcome.

Many thanks!

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest JIM BARRY

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some good reading material. I read Peter Guralnik's Southern Soul Story a few years back and Gerri Hirshey's Nowhere to Run and I'm looking for material in a similar vein.

I recently read Reg Sticking's book and had previously read David Nowell's Too Darn Soulful and Pete McKenna's Nightshift, and whilst I really enjoyed them I'm really looking for books about the artists and labels rather than the recollections of people on the Soul scene.

Many thanks!

have you tried robert pruter's "chicago soul" it's been out years but is great, also lonely teardrops,,,the jackie wilson story and the updated temptations story by otis williams . all compelling reading.

Social source share

Jim's right about Chicago Soul - it's the Bible. Others not already mentioned that I rate are:

The Soul Book - Ian Hoare, Clive Anderson, Tony Cummings & Simon Frith (Methuen 1975) is worth searching out.

Let's Hear it One More Time for the Brokenhearted - Barney Hoskins(Fontana 1987) - is good if you are not strictly uptempo!

Where Did Our Love Go - Nelson George (Omnibus 1986) - is a good warts 'n' all Motown tale.

Calling Out Around the World A Motown Reader - Kingsley Abbot (Ed) ( Bath Press 2001) gives a variety of personal perspectives on Motown.

Guitars, Bars & Motown Superstars - Dennis Coffey (Bee Cool 2002) : One man's Motown story only blighted by his (understandable) obsession with Scorpio - which I have never been able to get on with.

I no longer feel able to recommend Charlie Gillet - The Sound of the City - not because you have to trawl through all the rock 'n' roll stuff but because the print in my copy appeared to have shrunk when I tried to re-read it recently.

Of more recent stuff I liked Ginger's book written by / with Rob McKeever - On the Right Track which is probably still all over ebay, Reg's very personal passage through Soul and Neil Rushton's glossy opus.

Social source share

I would recommend all of these-

1) "Groovesville U.S.A. - The Detroit Soul And R & B Index" - Keith Rylatt- everything you wanted to know about non- Motown Detroit and then some

2) "Tamla Motown- The Stories Behind the U.K. Singles" by Terry Wilson- very detailed info on 1965- 1976 releases.

3) "The Supremes" by Mark Ribowsky- good info and stories about other Motown acts weaved in the story line.

Social source share

Berry Gordy's (autobiography) To be loved is essential reading. Quite a bit about the early years of Motown.

Just come back from holiday and took with me Peter Guralnick's - Dream Boogie the triumph of Sam Cooke a bit hard going in some of its 740 pages but a fascinating insight in to the roots of soul music, as well as the man himself, thourougly recommended !

Sound of the city is still a must and will provide you with info about labels and key personel and explains the regional developments of the early years of rock n roll and rhythm & blues as well as Soul.

Social source share

Guest xraysoulstar

Cheers Guys. I'll have a look and try and dig some of those out.

I just finished reading the Real Rhythm & Blues by Hugh Gregory. For length, this should have been a simple task at 212 pages, 5 days a week tops. I really hated it though and it took a month, often going days without picking it up. Some interesting stuff in it in the last 3rd, but really, not a good book in my opinion.

Social source share

if you can find a copy, CENTRAL 1179, the story of the twisted wheel in manchester,apparently its a wee cracker been after a copy for a few years now, hint hint , incidently, could anybody tell me why its called central 1179....phil

It was the telephone number for the Twisted Wheel. When we published it we wanted a title that was a bit more intriguing than The Twisted Wheel Story. Perhaps it was a bit too smart arsed!

Stuart

Social source share

It was the telephone number for the Twisted Wheel. When we published it we wanted a title that was a bit more intriguing than The Twisted Wheel Story. Perhaps it was a bit too smart arsed!

Stuart

thought it might be something like that, its become a bit of a collectors item now, are there any plans to reprint it?

Social source share

Berry Gordy's (autobiography) To be loved is essential reading. Quite a bit about the early years of Motown.

Just come back from holiday and took with me Peter Guralnick's - Dream Boogie the triumph of Sam Cooke a bit hard going in some of its 740 pages but a fascinating insight in to the roots of soul music, as well as the man himself, thourougly recommended !

Sound of the city is still a must and will provide you with info about labels and key personel and explains the regional developments of the early years of rock n roll and rhythm & blues as well as Soul.

Berrys book for sure and you must get Mr Rylets Detroit book its blooming brill

Social source share

Wasn't there a book about the popularity of NS?

I think it was called something like 'The Northern Soul Top 500'. Might be worth a read.

And its' sibling , the " remixed " NST500 " :lol:

When can we look forward to your autobiography , Kev ?

Malc

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I knew is was collectable but, £120.00 !!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't afford these crazy prices - so borrowed one through the local library.

You can always photocopy the "important" bits. :lol:

MB

Social source share

my daughter has just ordered ..guitars bars and motown superstars for my birthday later this month..£15 via amazon...can't wait.

You will find the book an excellent read Jim .

Check out Jack Ashford's " Motown : The view From The Bottom " as well .

Malc

Social source share

Malc

Considering what he had done and achieved in the business I was some what disappointed with Jack Ashfords book. For a start I was expecting a book with at least twice as many pages.

Social source share

Two interesting ones....

The Record Men: Chess Records and the Birth of Rock and Roll

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Record-Men-Chess-Records-Birth/dp/1861977662/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283085450&sr=1-1

Record Makers and Breakers: Voices of the Independent Rock 'n' Roll Pioneers (Music in American Life)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Record-Makers-Breakers-Independent-Pioneers/dp/025207727X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283085344&sr=8-3

Social source share

Hi folks,

Many thanks!

imnot exactly melvin bragg when it comes to book reviews but i really enjoyed bobby womacks autobiography, its a warts and all tail and he comes across as quite a selfish and insecure character at times,but it makes a cracking read, i gave mine to a mate after reading it, so i cant give you the title unfortunately but id recommend it ,in fact i just have , i think.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

and this one on evilbay central1179 :)

Interesting why a reasonably hard to find and much sought after book causes shock horror at £99.00 when much more common records sell for well above that and don't even raise an eyebrow.

As a bookseller now I know why I'm struggling :yes:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I have"nt read this but it looks interesting

https://books.google....0biondi&f=false

thanks

Aret

Aret, yeah that looks interesting and certainly one I'd like to read.

The history of black radio up until 1975 is something I've been meaning to really get into.

Another of the same vein

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Legendary-Pioneers-Black-Gilbert-Williams/dp/0313360588/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284450894&sr=1-5

:)

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

the berry gordy book is pretty good, but for me not so much a read as a reference book, packed so full of info i have postits on every other page. raynomas book "berry motown and me" feels to me a lot more of a real motown read, its got her life story but its more of a story than a reference book. great.........AND BIG WRITIN TOO. LOL if you like doccos or bios, my wife picked up an interesting book for me "deconstructing sammy davies junior" this is a must read and could be about any black artist growing up in the 40s 50s 60s etc. i think it must typify what happened to a lot of the guys but on a different scale, i only got it on saturday and im half way thru it. also checkout sammy davies at 6 years old on you tube,mmmmmmmmmmm

Social source share

If youre interested in the seedier side of the industry and particularly bootlegging you could do worse than buy Clinton Heylins book . The secret history of the other recording industry. The Sound of Philadephia isnt bad by Tony Cummings but long deleted.Manship has one for £30.Another one i have is a Black Music annual published by Hamlyn...some great photos but again long deleted.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

I had a look on my bookshelf to see if there were any there I had forgotten about and found an interesting one from 1969: "The Soul Book" An A4 - ish sized soft back from The Soultown Press, Chicago, Illinois; Editor Gary D Friedman. It's a kind of A-Z thing with big pictures and some basic text. What's weird about it is that it includes, amongst the obvious Jackie Wilson, James Brown etc, sections on Jose Feliciano, Blood Sweat & Tears, Elvis and Bob Dylan . You couldn't make it up

Edited by Soulfinger
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

What's weird about it is that it includes, amongst the obvious Jackie Wilson, James Brown etc, sections on Jose Feliciano, Blood Sweat & Tears, Elvis and Bob Dylan . You couldn't make it up

I know it doesn't make him a soul singer but Elvis definitely laid down some tracks at the Stax studios.

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Gilly- Tongue in Cheek I know, but it sold 13,000 copies. And even though I say it myself, it's a good starter book for lesser knowledgeable fans wanting the facts behind the scenes most popular songs.

It's certainly not for the hard core but extremely popular worldwide and currently unavailable!

Social source share

Guest unklbrian

How about this one - Nelson George , The death of rhythm & blues . originally read it about 20 years ago , and from memory a good read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Rhythm-Blues-Nelson-George/dp/0142004081/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284494820&sr=1-4

or if you're interested in the history of Jamacian sound systems [ ok , its not soul , but a fascinating subject] - Lloyd Bradley . Bass Culture

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Culture-When-Reggae-King/dp/0140237631/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284495488&sr=1-1

If i can find an old girlfriend - i want my copies back !!!!

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Malc

thanks malc, already have the jack ashford book,and really enjoyed it. i didn't realize he was the same guy with pied piper productions.:lol: atb jim.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

No it isn't. It's poorly written, pathetically researched, inaccurate and dull.

one mans meat and all rob, innacurate how?. if he was there doing it and seeing it, he must be believed!!. atb jim,

Social source share

It's been a while since I read it (gave it away) but I do remember years were wrong, there were a ton of spelling mistakes, including Harthon would you believe, and much more that his ex partner Mike Terry told me were inaccurate or untrue! I guess everyone's version of history is different. I think Jack depended on his memory without checking facts, dates etc.,which is always tricky. I remember offering to assist with editing to the UK publisher (can't remember his name but based in London I think) but being turned down. The book is a major disappointment because it could, and should, have been so much better.

Social source share

Interesting why a reasonably hard to find and much sought after book causes shock horror at £99.00 when much more common records sell for well above that and don't even raise an eyebrow.

As a bookseller now I know why I'm struggling :lol:

you make a good point there, I never thought of it like that..

Social source share

Guest xraysoulstar

Gilly- Tongue in Cheek I know, but it sold 13,000 copies. And even though I say it myself, it's a good starter book for lesser knowledgeable fans wanting the facts behind the scenes most popular songs.

It's certainly not for the hard core but extremely popular worldwide and currently unavailable!

LOL, I had (perhaps wrongly wink.gif ) assumed that knowledge of this book was a prerequiste for membership on Soul Source! I remember seeing copies of it in (I think) the Helter Skelter book shop in Denmark Street some years back. I'm not a fan of "list" type programming (Top 100 Comedians/Soaps/Ads/records of all time etc.) and so as I book the concept did kinda pass me by at the time. I tend to find them very subjective although I am aware that the book was supposed to be based on the views of people attending alnighters. Am I remembering that correctly?

Yes I'm kicking myself now as I recognise the value the content would probably have had to me now. and I don't mean in resale value.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the suggestions. I have a fat little list to stick in my phone to carry around book shops/record fairs etc. Very much appreciated!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!