All With Soundfiles...the Traditions / Bongi & Nelson / The Mighty Voices Of Jericho / Russell Morris / Jimmy Tate / Gloria Ann Taylor / Numonics Lp

PM or email me direct on mail@resolutionrecords.co.uk

Will now begin adding the soundfiles / scans in the next few posts immediately after this one....ok...

Pls note that these soundfiles are highly compressed and therefore highlight each every teeny-tiny crackle on the records - this is unavoidable - my written gradings are completely accurate and are a much beter guide.

Paypal preferred but chqs ok too if people can't do PP...

Cheers...Mark Rez

(1) 7" Singles:

The Mighty Voices Of Jericho 'Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven (Nobody Wants To Die)' (Abaros / USA / 1960s / Ex+) £20

( Sublime Sweet male group Gospel Soul with a strong social message that just builds and builds… )

First Class 'Me And My Gemini' (All Platinum / USA / 1976 / M-) £5

( Stone mint copy of this excellent little 70s Northern floater – written by The Moments, more from them later – good instrumental flip too which would 'disco blend' nicely, methinks… )

Linda Lewis 'So Many Mysteries To Find' / 'This Time I'll Be Sweeter' (Arista / UK / 1976 / Ex) £8

( Under-rated artist who actually did some great stuff during her long career – 2 top sides here – one a floating, 2 Step 'Cosmic' style 2 Step groover and the flip a full on NS dancer – bit crackly so priced down from the usual £15… )

Sonlight 'Let's Help Them See The Light' / 'Ask The Lord' (Aspro / USA / 1982 / VG+) £30

( Gospel Soul produced by the legendary 'Otis G Johnson' and actually sounds like an outtake from the Leo's Sunship LP as produced by Roy Ayers…!! Super summer vibes…has a coupla light pops here and there which I'll attend to before I ship – nothing serious… )

Jeanie Greene 'I've Been A Long Time Loving You' / 'Sure As Sin' (Atco / USA / 1960s / M-) £40

( Such a good double-sider – topside is bold-as-brass Northern Soul with a big horn section and a booming rhythm groove – while the flip is equally worthy in a kinda 'Funky Sister Soul' vein – a stone mint WD promo copy too - I've a VG+ copy that I want £25 for… )

The Traditions 'My Life With You' / 'Something Gone Wrong' (Bar Clay / USA / 1960s / M-) £100

( Indemand, powerhouse Northern Soul from Hicksville, Pennysylvania – stunning 45 in immaculate condition… )

Tony Owens 'Gotta Get My Baby Back Home' / 'Confessin' A Feelin' (Cotillion / USA / 1960s / Ex+) £8

( Worthwhile Soul double-sider from little-celebrated Tony Owens – one side nice Xover Northern and the other more midtempo… )

Russell Morris 'The Real Thing Ps 1 & 2′ (Decca / UK / 1969 / M-) £50

( Stone, stone mint Demo copy of this ever-indemand Mod 45 – just builds and builds – outstanding stuff and I believe this copy to be unplayed… )

Bongi and Nelson 'That's The Kind Of Love' / 'I Was So Glad' (E.S.C. / France / 1960s / Ex+/Ex+) £50 £40

( Believe it or not, this stunning, pure Northern Soul double-sider is actually by Myriam Makeba and her daughter…please take a listen and tell me this isn't amazing…great pic sleeve too… )

Positive Change 'Love Of A Lifetime' / 'This Is Where I'll Be' (Expansion / UK / 2000 / M-) £8

( Ditto the above… )

The King Pins 'I Won't Have It' / 'Two Hearts' (Federal / USA / 1960s / M-) £10

( Cracking R&B / early-Northern Soul on this standout old label – appears to be unplayed… )

Freddy King 'High Rise' (Federal / USA / 1960s / VG+) £5

( Ditto the above – cool, Bluesy-R&B from one of the Masters…. )

Dennis Brown 'Ain't That Lovin' You Pts 1 & 2′ (Laser / UK / 1979 / 1979) £5

( Dennis Brown has one of THE sweetest voices in the whole of Black Music – period! Here he uses it to great effect on this ace cover version of the William Bell / Homer Banks classic – stunning copy – appears to be unplayed…good DJ lick on the flip… )

David Sea 'I'm In The Mood' (Magic City / USA / 1980s / M-) £5

( Another Modern Soul 7″ I remember buying as a new release back in the 80s… )

Jimmy Tate 'Get Some Dues' / 'Please Come Back' (Mid-Tune / USA / 1960s / Ex+) £40

( 'Nuther rarie – 2 great sides – ace NS on the top and a much-collected deepie on the flip… )

Ruth Brown 'Mama (He Treats Your Daughter Mean)' (Philips / USA / 1960s / Ex+) £30

( Lovely WD promo copy of this seminal Ruth Brown cut – AMAZING voice…. )

Fantastic Four 'As Long As I Live…' / 'To Share Your Love' (Ric Tic / USA / 1960s / Ex+) £10

( Nice stamped demo copy of this Detroit / NS dancer… )

Gloria Ann Taylor 'World That's Not Real' / 'Music' (Selector Sound / USA / 1970s / M-) £60

( Stone mint copy of this ever-indemand Sister Funk 45 with very strong Soul undertones – simply a stunner… )

Pop Stampley and The Stampley Singers 'Who Do You Blame' (Siest Stars / USA / 1970s / M-) £15 £10

Great uplifting Gospel / Modern Soul from the Windy City – I remember Arthur Fenn and Soul Sam playing this at Modern Soul do's back in the early-80s…has to be rare…?? )

Byron Lee & The Dragonaires 'The Record' (Soul / Jamaica / 1960s / Ex) £30

( Rare early JA press for this ace R&B version of the ace Ben E. King Northern fave – given that lovely 'Islands' feel thru the vocal magic of Ken Lazarus – again – some surface marks but a very nice player… )

Millie Jackson 'A House For Sale' (Spring / UK / 1976 / Ex+) £20

( Lovely copy – close to M- )

Judy Mowatt 'Cry To Me' (Torpedo / UK / 1975 / Ex+) £15

( More wonderful 'Reggae-Got-Soul' on this List – here we have the much-talented Judy Mowatt doing a stunning version of the Solomon Burke track – beginning to attract interest from Northern Soul collectors so better grab one quick – middle is dinked but otherwise A1… )

Indigo 'I've Never Done This Before' / 'Inst' (VC / USA / 1980 / M-) £25

( Rare One…! First 'spare' copy of this I've ever had / seen…!! First class Modern Soul tune with strong dancefloor appeal and extremely good vocals – instrumental b side also sounds great… )

The Monitors 'Bring Back The Love' (V.I.P / USA / 1960s / Ex) £6

( Quality Northern from these Motown 'backroom boys' – just a classic sound… )

E. Rodney Jones & Larry and the Hippies Band 'Football' / 'Right On-Right On (Sex Machine') (Westbound / USA / 1972 / M-) £15

( Stone Mint copy of this excellent double-sider – topside is slept-on Northern Soul while the flip is a great, brassy Funk banger – E. Rodney Jones was a mouthy Chicago DJ who also carved out a recording career on the back of his outrageous DJ displays…two copies here and the first taker gets the promo… )

Chaz 'Go For Love' (Zanzibar / USA / 1985 / M-) £15

( Cracking Modern Soul and one I remember getting absolutely CANED on the scene as a new release…TUNE… )

(2) 12" Singles:

Linda Clifford 'Runaway Love' (Curtom / UK / 1978 / M-) £15

( OG UK Curtom press for this ace Boogie tune – clocking in at over 7:00 long…lovely copy… )

Georgie Fame 'Daylight' (Island / UK / 1077 / Ex+) £15

( Love this – Georgie Fame gives the Bobby Womack track "the treatment" here – excellent version and this one's an Island 'Limited Edition' promo copy too… )

Chaka Khan 'What 'Cha Gonna Do For Me' (WB / UK / 1981 / M-/M-) £30

( Rare, UK-only 12″ release for this epic Chaka cut – no equivalent US press exists so far as I know…this copy seems unplayed too…another huge N.Y.C. club tune in the early-80s… )

LPs:

Oscar Brown, Jr 'Between Heaven And Hell' (CBS / UK /1962 / Ex / Ex+) £10

( Few marks / wear to the sleeve so priced nice and low – always indemand for the LP-only Jazz Dance / Club cut 'Mr. Kicks' which has been popular across many different scenes since day dot – vinyl is very, very nice… )

Joe Carroll 'Man With A Happy Sound' (Charlie Parker / UK / 1960s / Ex+/M-) £10

( Rare Blues LP that I've only ever had / seen once before? Bset cut on this is the clubby version of 'Route 66′ here which is extremely good – as originally done by Chuck Berry, The Rolling Stones etc etc…beautiful condition and on a very rare UK label too… )

Marlena Shaw 'Marlena' (Blue Note / USA / 1972 / Ex+/M-) £20

( Barely played…definitely one of Ms Shaw's trickier 70s LPs to find – lovely condition again – and worth the £20 alone for her amazing interpretation of Marvin Gaye's 'Save The Children' from 'What's Goin On' – awesome flute parts from whomever the flautist was on this session…!

Cado Belle 'Cado Belle' (Anchor / USA / 1977 / M-/M-) £15

( 'Got To Love' – quality 70s Northern…some other good tracks on here too… )

Charles 'Good For Ya' (Ham-Sem / USA / 1980s / M-/M-) £15

( 'Make Out' – great Modern Soul dancer…I've seen this go for $100 on the evil one.. )

Doris Duke 'Woman' (Contempo / UK / 1976 / M-/M-) £25

( 'Woman Of The Ghetto' – UK original – backed up by Ultrafunk and The Armada Orchestra… )

The Ebonys 'Sing About Life' (Buddah / USA / 1976 / M-/M-) £15

( 'One Thing On My Mind' – exellent 70s Northern Soul – my own personal copy… )

Inner Life 'Inner Life' (Salsoul / USA / 1983 / M-/M-) £25

( 'Make It Last Forever' – vocals from Jocelyn Brown – same backing track as Donna McGhee – prod by Patrick Adams, Larry Levan and Greg Carmichael – one of THE rarest Salsoul LPs… )

Gwen McCrae 'Rockin Chair' (Cat / USA / 1975 / Ex+/Ex+) £20

( '90% Of Me Is You' , 'Rockin Chair' – beautiful copy… )

Masquerade 'Take Your Mask Off' (K-2 / USA / 1980s /M-/M-) £20

( Rare Modern Soul / Boogie LP…very, very popular with French collectors – gleaming copy here… )

Mel and Tim 'Mel and Tim' (Stax / USA / 1974 / Ex+/M-) £20

( 'Keep The Faith' – light ringwear – superb vinyl…. )

Garnet Mimms 'I'll Take Good Care Of You' (UA / USA / 1960s / Ex+/Ex+) £25

( 'Looking For You' – Northern Soul anthem )

The Moments 'Those Sexy Moments' (All Platinum / UK / 1975 /Ex+/Ex+)£10

( 'Ride Your Pony, Girl' – stunning 2 Stepper… )

Mtume 'Kiss This World Goodbye' (Epic / USA / 1978 / Ex+/Ex+) £15

( 'Theme For The People' – excellent LP – with the free poster too… )

Numonics 'Rollin' (Hodisk / USA / 1980s / M-/M-) £30

( 'Forever And A Day' and 'You Lied' – was £100 at one time…stone minter… )

Universal Robot Band 'Dance And Shake Your Tambourine' (Red Greg / USA /1977 / Ex+/Ex+) £25

( 'Dance And Shake…' and 'Space Disco' etc etc…rarest LP (apart from the French boner…

Art Webb 'Love Eyes' (Atlantic / USA / 1977 / M-/M-) £15

( 'You Can't Hide Love – stunning flute-led version…' )

Nancy Wilson 'Life, Love and Harmony' (Capitol / USA / 1970s / M-/M-) £25

( 'Sunshine' – the most "Cosmic" tune ever…more Mizells than the Mizells themselves…!! )

Cheers...

Edited by Guest
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

pm sent Mark :)

The Jimmy Tate is nice little tune, worth checking out :yes:

Cheers Kev - have responded...

Yep - both sides great - one side overlooked NS other outstanding deep...

M

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!