Dancing

Does anyone know of anywhere that teaches Northern Soul dancing in the Kent / Sussex / South London area?

Would really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Jas

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest marco

Keb Darge has been known to offer his services.....he also gives dancing lessons from time to time. He's in Holloway, North London. I think you might have to be female...and preferably oriental to apply though.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

TONY SMITH GIVES ONE TO ONE LESSONS IN HIS UPSTAIRS ROOM-WHILE SPINNIN' RAY WITLEYS "I'VE BEEN HURT".

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

If it's Kent then surely Adrian Croasdell's your man. For slick moves and acrobatic tricks must be worth a call to see if he can help out ;o))

Janine Snow

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Jason.

Lesson 1

Just get out there and do your thing. (without beer or fag in hand). End of lesson ;-)

Seriously dont worry about lessons mate. As you can see from this bunch of Herberts. No-one is going to take the piss.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Jason don't listen to Mikey!!!! Have you seen him dance - It's like someone having an epileptic fit in the middle of the sack race ;o))))

Perhaps someone could issue one of those "Do the Northern Soul" in five easy lessons charts. You know the ones with the foot marks showing exactly how it should be done, it could even show you where to clap LOL ;O))))

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Thinking about it Janine isn't a million miles away although whether she could resist taking the piss or not is another matter.

The other draw back would be that you would end up only being able to dance to "The Entertainer" and "Don't pity me" ;o)))))

John

Social source share

Thinking about it Janine isn't a million miles away although whether she could resist taking the piss or not is another matter.

The other draw back would be that you would end up only being able to dance to "The Entertainer" and "Don't pity me" ;o)))))

LOL git :-)

The guy who run's boogaloo soul mentioned if anyone was interested in dancing lessons a while back, it's on this saturday night, spanish galleon in Greenwich, pop along there if you can and have a word with Warren, I shall be going myself so can teach you a few Joanie/Tony steps in the bogs ;-)

Janine

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Jason don't listen to Mikey!!!! Have you seen him dance - It's like someone having an epileptic fit in the middle of the sack race ;o))))

Perhaps someone could issue one of those "Do the Northern Soul" in five easy lessons charts. You know the ones with the foot marks showing exactly how it should be done, it could even show you where to clap LOL ;O))))

John

Oi

I saw you win the Imber Soul club 110 1/2th anniversary, dance comp.

Loved your acceptance speeh.

'I was only going to the bar for some crisps'.

Social source share

Johnny...Tony says he'd be right up for sorting out your shuffle...I'm told its not a patch on Janine's

But Marco, when Janine is doing the shuffle she is actually trying to do her christ on a cross routine.

Social source share

And of course there's the time Paul Weller was round my flat in Langham Street buying the latest Northern repros and asked my girlfriend Rose to teach him how to dance Northern. After being shocked and embarassed she got him to try out a few basic steps and quickly suggested he should concentrate on singing.

Ady

Social source share

Ady....cast your mind back to the very first DJ dancing competition at Cleethorpes in the original small room........ Roger Banks threw up, I was totally robbed even with the slow motion back drop and you started a spin in one corner of the dance floor and ended up in the middle of the floor, the crowd was in stitches so were we..........

I seem to remember you won the first year Ady totally on talent and fancy footwork, the next year I was robbed again, Andy Rix won I was second, Roger Banks threw up again then stormed off the dance floor because he was unplaced still you were in the frame again........ even more fancy footwork and Best Bitter excess.

We may be able to play the records but we certainly can't dance to them........... lol

Keep It Real - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Oi

I saw you win the Imber Soul club 110 1/2th anniversary, dance comp.

Loved your acceptance speeh.

'I was only going to the bar for some crisps'.

Simon has a lot to answer for ;o)) I was actually going to Dave Rimmers Milk stall there is no way i would eat the crisps at Imber. They bag them at the Leper Colony just outside the village!!!!!!

John

Social source share

Just get out there n give it socks... seroisly no one gives a rats... i do all my floor stuff... i just learned by watchin!!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Simon has a lot to answer for ;o)) I was actually going to Dave Rimmers Milk stall there is no way i would eat the crisps at Imber. They bag them at the Leper Colony just outside the village!!!!!!

John

THATS why it was the only place you could get Smeg flavour. Often wondered if the flavouring was suitable for vegetarians or not.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I DON'T KNOW IF YOU'RE STILL CHECKING SOUL SOURCE JASON F, BUT TRICKSTER'S GIVING DANCE LESSONS ONCE A MONTH IN NORTH LONDON (NOT SOUTH I'M AFRAID). YOU CAN E-MAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT HIM

ambaflash@yahoo.com

Also, Lynn and I are playing records for it so you gotta come

Social source share

I DON'T KNOW IF YOU'RE STILL CHECKING SOUL SOURCE JASON F, BUT TRICKSTER'S GIVING DANCE LESSONS ONCE A MONTH IN NORTH LONDON (NOT SOUTH I'M AFRAID). YOU CAN E-MAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT HIM

ambaflash@yahoo.com

Also, Lynn and I are playing records for it so you gotta come

I'm serious as cancer when I say:

"rhythm is a dancer"

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

forget the tricks and all that silly jumping on the floor stuff, for me the best dancers are the ones who can move their legs and arms in time with some originality. I am off to Whitby and the only thing I am dreading is that gang who swing their legs in the air while laid on their back!! lol.

Only my opinion no disrespect to those involved its just that I admire other types of dancers. Not being too serious here but the best dancers for me stay on their feet.

My advice to the guy after lessons, forget it just get out there and enjoy it.

Shane

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Shane we are off to Whiby downstairs in the evil room probably but if you see me let on!!!! ;O))

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Does anyone know of anywhere that teaches Northern Soul dancing in the Kent / Sussex / South London area?

AND FINALLY A PROPER ANSWER :)

Jason,

Chris Harvey, a well known face on the scene in London, is starting up a fortnightly session in the next few weeks.

I'm not sure where the venue is yet that he's hired for teaching but it will probably be in North London (Camden area). Lessons will cover from basic steps up to 'acrobatics' but you're better off speaking to him directly for more details.

I can give you his contact details if you email /PM me off-list ... and he'll be handing out flyers for it at the 100 Club this weekend.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

j.o.t, i will introduce myself for defo at Whitby. I will be selling records in the main room...tallish geeky bespectacled one looking a lot younger than most! lol

If anyone else is off to Whitby....see y'all there.

Shane

Social source share

I give dance lessons on air.

lesson One

Just bend over and shake a tailfeather

Reflections on Northern soul is tentatively predicting a hot summer of soul. This week's show features some scorching R&B, meltdown Motown, simmering Southern and Latin soul warmed up by the south Atlantic Stream, washed up on the banks of the Kelvin and the Clyde upon whose deltas stands the Radiomagnetic Studios.

I was at the Glasgow Mod weekender with my minidisk recorder and am currently editing six hours of up and coming DJ's as well as some old hands. These sessions will be broadcast over the next few weeks.

If you would like a mention for a gig, club, weekenders please REPLY to this e-mail. I would like to say I have given up moaning about the studio e-mail particularly as we have sorted out the Spam situation. However we have yet to replace the studio's e-mail address that let's you contact me during the show. Maybe that facility will have returned by Saturday.

We will definitively have the club guide, and a check on what's fetching big money on E Bay.

There are usually seven shows from about a month or two previous, which can be accessed on the ARCHIVES section of the web site. Reflections is classed as R'n'B/SOUL. Just click on a date. If you have any difficulties in hearing any of the shows check out our FAQ's and if they don't help REPLY to this E Mail. BTW the play lists for each show can be found at the FORUMS page under PLAYLISTS. They are spaced out over several pages but most of them are there.

Reflections on Northern Soul Saturdays 2:30pm (BST) on

www.radiomagnetic.com

listen to an old show NOW at www.radiomagnetic.com/archive/rnb.php

FrankM

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

If you're in the modern room just try to stand still but do it in sync with the beat ;-)

Sorry..

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I find it quite disturbing that someone is actually giving lessons in 'northern' dancing, including 'basic steps!' After 25/30 years of 'niters etc, I have yet to see two people dance the same! Even if you try to copy someone, it comes out in your own way and style. There are no 'basic steps'. Sure, you can look at a dancer and can tell they know how to dance to northern, as opposed to someone who has just turned up on spec, but basic steps?? If we had a set pattern of steps, wouldn't that just turn northern into something as formulaic as line dancing?

Perish the thought!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Trevski.

Surely there IS a basic step. And then we all interpret the rest in our own unique way.

I once told a coach load of pensioners from Wigan, at a hotel I was staying at in 1981, that I liked Northern Soul. They said, 'oh you are the guys who come into our town every weekend to dance like crabs'. Made me smile, but they weren't a million miles from the truth.

When I first started listening to N soul, my girlfriends older sister showed me the dances they did. And I practiced at home for months if not a year before I had the confidence to try it out in public, at the Subs rooms in Stroud.

Move to left, foot forward, move to right , foot forward, repeat. To me that is the basic step. Watch the dancrers at any soul do in the UK, and that is what you will see. And like I said, everyone adapts it to their own personal style.

There are of course exceptions to the rule. Liam from London has his own excellent and unique style of dancing.

Trickster, is at the very least extremely passionate about dancing. His enthusiasm for 'new moves' etc, reminds me of a mod looking for a new style of suit. Some people are into the scene just for collecting, some for the friendships they have made, and others like Chris (Trickster will always be Chris to me), is into it because he loves dancing. Some collectors, then progress on to playing records and become popular DJs. Chris is doing something comparable to that and is helping a few people gain the confidence we all looked for, the first few times we ventured into a room, where everybody else seemed to know everybody else, and everybody but us knew everyone of these obscure records. In time we learnt that very few if anybody knows every single record played, or indeed knows more than half the people in the room. But in the uncertain first venture, all help is gratefully received.

I take your point, after all that rambling, about becoming formulaic, like line dancing. And like you say, 2 people dont dance the same (resists urge to mention Keb and Chris :-) ). But we do need to feel that we fit in at least at first.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!