Horaces Records - Newbie Help Needed

Guest mikeE

hi all, not posted here before but wondered if anyone could help me with some information about the horaces label. i've found some sides on ebay on this label but can't find much straight info on where they generated from/discography etc. i believe there was also some lps based around the shrine label. if anyone can help me with information, any scans/tracklisting, label numbers i'd be grateful.

many thanks

mike

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

hi all, not posted here before but wondered if anyone could help me with some information about the horaces label. i've found some sides on ebay on this label but can't find much straight info on where they generated from/discography etc. i believe there was also some lps based around the shrine label. if anyone can help me with information, any scans/tracklisting, label numbers i'd be grateful.

many thanks

mike

Ask Ady Croasdel on here, he might know a thing or two about the label and it's releases.

n.b. I think there were two Shrine LP's and one Dore LP

Social source share

Harboro Horace is now better known as Ady Croasdell.

The names Ady Croasdell and Harboro Horace are synonymous with that of Kent Records. It was back in 1982 that Ady put together the first Kent soul set for the Ace stable.

Horace's Records issued two Shrine LPs-.

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

Horaces Records was my own label named after my nick name of Harboro horace that Randy Cozens stuck me with!

It was a small label I ran in the late 80s/early 90s when everyone was switching from vinyl to CD and my work with Kent/Ace had slowed down. Ace were fully supportive of me and helped in most of the licensing. In fact I think they didn't want to do 45s at that time, so let me do it.

The first release was The Magic Touch by Melba Moore, followed by Rosey Grier's In My Tenement and Hector Rivera I Want A Chance For Romance.

I was then introduced to Eddie Singleton the Shrine label owner by Northern Soul DJ and producer Ian Levine and we cut a deal for two LPs and two 45s. Shrine was particularly "hot" at this time so many of the discoveries we made from this were very exciting for the Northern scene. I also cut a deal with Dore records owner Lou Bedell for some of his tracks; an LP and two singles resulted from that.

So that's 3 LPs and 6 singles. Then I think my final release was Carla Thomas' unissued Stax dancer 'I'll Never Stop Loving You' on a 45 and though they all did OK, I wasn't cut out for the discipline of running my own label. My accounting and marketing skills were negligible.

Luckily Kent then got involved in singles again so there's a much more regular flow of releases nowadays.

Thanks for your interest

Ady

Social source share

Here's the complete list of 7" releases...

Horaces Records

001 - Melba Moore - The Magic Touch b/w Tommy Hunt - The Pretty Part Of You

002 - Roosevelt Grier - In My Tenement b/w Lavern Baker - Wrapped, Tied And Tangled

003 - Hector Rivera - Chance For Romance b/w Playing It Cool

004 - Eddie Daye & The 4 Bars - Guess Who Loves You b/w Jimmy Armstrong - Mystery

005 - Ray Pollard - This Time b/w The Cairos - Stop Overlooking Me

006 - Little Johnny Hamilton - Oh How I Love You b/w Entertainers IV - Getting Back Into Circulation

007 - Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You b/w Barbara Lewis - The Stars

Social source share

post-6465-078575400 1284768110_thumb.jpg

post-6465-071005100 1284768130_thumb.jpg

I had forgotten it was all so long ago.

I was only 19 years old at the time.

These 2 are mine that I bought from the record shop next to Tooting Broadway tube station one afternoon in 1990.

These shrine LPs were spectacular for me at the time !

The 100 club was a monthly pilgrimage.

The music has stayed with me.

If I still lived in London I would still attend every month.

Great days, Great memories, and I still collect and love Soul !

M

Social source share

cheers guys, especially ady & mark w, for the info. found it really interesting. the collector inside me is fighting to get out again!!

anyone got any tracklistings for the lps?

oh yeah, as this is such an informative forum can anyone help me with tonights lottery numbers too?:lol:

Social source share

Can't help with the lottery numbers m'fraid but here goes for the track listings, scanned off the LPs, first one is Capitol Soul (Shrine) LP, 2nd is Shrine, rarest soul label LP and 3rd is the Sun, Surf and Soul (Dore) LP. (Might need to click on the images to enlarge).

Mark.

post-14816-029162200 1284824917_thumb.jp

post-14816-067480300 1284824942_thumb.jp

post-14816-073075100 1284824962_thumb.jp

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!