• Replies 73
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Out moded and Sad

Personally i just don't think that there is the quality of of entrants that you used to get. IMO There are a handfull of dancers in the country at the moment worth watching and that's being generous.

Even if there were more quality dancers around the whole concept is outmoded in todays scene.

Come dancing anyone???????...............................................

Ohhh i just did...

I'll get me coat...

John

Social source share

Cleggy Quiz on the other hand is a highlight for me every year, and this year I think my team will win it, we are fed up with coming 2nd and 3rd every year :-)))

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Cleggy Quiz on the other hand is a highlight for me every year, and this year I think my team will win it, we are fed up with coming 2nd and 3rd every year :-)))

I wouldn't hold your breath Janine. You want get special treatment just because it's your last one ;o)) for a while at least (Boo hoo) Is it true that you have AG on your team this year?????

John

Social source share

We had a dance comp at the Plinston anniversary last year (and plan to do so this year) but agree that in the end the standard isn't like the old days however we feel that we have levelled the playing field somewhat by the introduction of our selected toons to dance to. Last years was the Latin Soul version of 'I watched you slowly slip away' by Al Escobar & His Swinging Camels (if memory serves) which had most of the Hall in stitches and the dancers in total confusion. This years is a gem - be afraid! Besides, tradiations should be kept alive but maybe tweaked a bit :-))))))

Social source share

I wouldn't hold your breath Janine. You want get special treatment just because it's your last one ;o)) for a while at least (Boo hoo) Is it true that you have AG on your team this year?????

John

Social source share

I hate 'em.

I too hate them, very outdated IMO. Also very weighted against women, blokes usually win because they tend to do the fancy moves that girls jusy don't.

Social source share

Funny how too much drink has an effect on your dancing isnt it. Went to an allnighter on Saturday and by 11pm my dancing was world class (well it was OK) but by 6am and more beer than i can sensibly handle , I was according to my wife but cant remember myself , dancing in the middle of the dancefloor to anything & everything like Oliver Reed when he sung wild thing pissed up on The Michael Parkinson Show. I dont believe her because i look nothing like Oliver Reed. Here is a picture of him not me. Craig.

Social source share

ill have you know that AG was on my team year before last, and he did very well for about 2 mins whilst getting the question sheets for us... we had to dispose of him afterwards though ;-)))))

Social source share

Guest Kolla

the fancy dress comp results make me scream with excitement however.

Lisa I beg to differ... it sends me running for the exit ! After three days of no sleep, living in a caravan sandwiched between one caravan occupied by the Tweenies and the other by two nurses with giant syringes has me questioning my own sanity every time..... And look at this poor excuse, for god sake .....

thisyear_01.jpg

My favourite quote about the fancy dress was from a few years ago when three little kids stopped trickster (dressed in his normal attire) and said - "what have you come as ??"

Anyway - the only reason everyone here hates dance competitions is because you're all rubbish at dancing ! :) ))

Al... get me a double espresso NOW... Tony's bitterness virus is effecting my objectivity.

I'll get my coat and my dance trophy (Ady... don't say a thing!!!)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I don't know for sure (coz I'm still young) but I assume dance competitions were introduced in the first place by club promoters interested in insuring the best dancers came to their clubs. If the best dancers came all the hot chicks would come to watch them, and where the hot chicks were the beer swilling blokes would follow and the promoter would make loads of money.

Today, the only people who try to win dance competitions (and no offense ment to all my mates (Andy, Trickster etc)) tend to be a little 'flabby', not good looking, lack any rhythm, have ZERO sex appeal and end up looking like OAPs on speed (I wonder why?!). The effect of this will not be to attract people to the club in the way that dance competitions were originally introduced to do, but will instead make it even less likely that any civilians will come back.

basically, STOP DOING DANCE COMPETITIONS, THEY ARE SHITE!!!!!

(Although bear in mind I don't have a very well developed sense of humour and I tend to take soul music far too seriously)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

He he. Seems I dont have Gene's ability to start a good old row.

For my twopenneth. I dont like them, because, more often than not, the records I really like dancing to, are the bloody ones played during the comp. So if you want to dance you have to get up and feel uncomfortable that lots are people are watching and analysing your dancing. OK I know people are always watching you dance, but not in a competitive senario. So this means standing around for 30 odd minutes, hearing great records that you have teavelled miles to dance to, and not being able to.

As for quality, maybe some of us are staring back with misty eyed nostalgia. There were more dancers doing tricks and things to records than nowadays. But some of the guys still able to do them, are a lot more graceful than many were say in the 70s or 80s. Very often back then it was bang bang bang on the floor as they pushed themselves beyond gravity. Whereas many now perforn their tricks with almost gymnastic grace.

I agree with Karen C, about the bias against girls. This really should not be the case. As the average age at nighters has increased, the value of slower soulful records to a dancefloor has increased. This possibly should be reflected in the songs played, and the judges descisions on the best dancers. Just look at how the girls were dancing in the play - Once Upon A Time in Wigan. The girls of today rarely dance like that now (shame cos that was the best bit of the play for me), but like some of the acrobats, they have moulded their dancing accordingly. And there are some that you just cant stop watching when they are in action.

Finally, when I first startied coming to Northern Soul do's, my friends encouraged me to just: 'Get up and give it a go. No one cares how you dance, just as long as you get out there and dont be a wallflower'. By making the dancing competitive, even for a shortwhile, it takes away all that. AND if I tried a backdrop now, it would take three people to lift me back up, and that just aint fair.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

basically, STOP DOING DANCE COMPETITIONS, THEY ARE SHITE!!!!!

(Although bear in mind I don't have a very well developed sense of humour and I tend to take soul music far too seriously)

They are and no you don't and yes you do ;o))))

If you know what i mean

John

btw

It's the accrobatics that make it crap nowadays one of the very few top notch dancers around Carl from Notts is about the only one i've seen recently who can actually carry it off in a comparable way to yesteryear but don't you find that they (Comps) just disrupt the night??? people come to doo's nowadays to have the crack and dance and drink etc etc when you have a dance comp the whole thing stops for 3/4 hour while (normally) some inept compere waffles on while a load of middle aged has beens (I count myself in that category) strutt their very unfunky stuff (but not this one) YAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWNNNN

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Dance compo's I luuurve them!

There those tablets have started working quicker than I thought!!!!

Got any left Tony?????????????????????????

Social source share

I don't like dance comps that much, as the standard and style of dancing isn't what it was when I were a young lad at the Twisted Porch. If we do have to have them, here's an idea, which takes into account the advanced years of many northern fans. Different categories should be introduced, ie prizes for dancers in the 18-35 age range, and another in the 36-45 range, and finally special bravery awards for those willing to risk heart attacks and other life threatening illnesses in the 46 and over competition.

Tony Ellis

Social source share

tend to be a little 'flabby', not good looking, lack any rhythm, have ZERO sex appeal and end up looking like OAPs on speed (I wonder why?!).

That is the funniest thing i've read in a long time;-) and oh so true, ;-) xxx

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I don't have a sense of humour. I can't be funny;-)

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

i second that! Really laughed out loud.. :-D

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I don't have a sense of humour. I can't be funny;-)

Some of the funniest people don't either Jimbo. You have always managed to raise a smile with me some of them deepfunk posts were instant classics IMO

John

Social source share

Dancing is a part of life its one of the thrills of young America........................ etc. OK lets put the case into perspective.

Many moons ago along with a strict dress code, lifestyle, attitude, record collection etc, most people on the scene wanted to be respected as

"Good Dancers". Possibly the first "dancin' superstar" was Frank Booper New from Widnes. Promotors, seeing an angle on upping the attendences put on the competitions. The one I remember best was the one @ Whitchurch Civic all dayer, Booper lost that day but was still regarded as a Hero by the crowd. Fast forward to now & most aspects of the scene then, are no longer relevent, (except good records). Things change people move on no one wants Dancin' Comps. However I still see a few people trying to look like 60's Mods. and as the style thing has never died off, will Dancin' Comps be resureccted as well ?

Best Regards to all Ritchie.

Social source share

Maybe we are OAPs on speed but show me a teenager who dance like Carl or Andy or anyone else for that matter or even stay out at an allnighter I know mine can't.!!

See you Friday night at cleggy!!!!! make a space on that floor LOL

Social source share

Guest micksmith

J TROUBLE-I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THE IDEA THAT HOT CHICKS EVER CAME TO WATCH THE DANCERS. HAVEN'T SEEN A HOT CHICK AT A NOTHERN DO FOR YEARS-PLENTY OF TURKEYS THO.

Social source share

J TROUBLE-I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THE IDEA THAT HOT CHICKS EVER CAME TO WATCH THE DANCERS. HAVEN'T SEEN A HOT CHICK AT A NOTHERN DO FOR YEARS-PLENTY OF TURKEYS THO.

Cheers Mick, we love you too LOL

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Mick, I would hate to be in your shoes next time you're DJing. ;-)

A word of advice, wear a cricket box and don't take any valuable records.

Social source share

To be honest, I don't know what some people would have found more embarrassing; either the Dancing Comp itself, or the degrading pile of shite 7" soul pack 45s which were sometimes given away as a prize!!

How many copies of "Cool Aid" by Paul Humphrey on Lizard would you have found in one of those?

Gene

Social source share

Well it gives a bit of a focus to the Friday night at Cleethorpes and only lasts for 3 records. There's been at least one bird winner and several notable placings. I usually get criticised for being a perv if I do pick a girl anyway!

Nobody seems to mind the DJs making c***s of themselves so I don't see why you lot shouldn't do the same.

A-D

Social source share

I agree totally with the last sentance Mr Croasdell.

Having made a total prat of myself in karaoke, musical chairs (twice), and several dancing competitions at your hands !!!!!!!!

The funniest thing was when I won the DJ dancing competition (It was the year Ady had the shits so couldn't judge it) as I went to collect the trophy I distinctly heard someone say "How's that fat bastard won it !"

Social source share

Well it gives a bit of a focus to the Friday night at Cleethorpes and only lasts for 3 records. There's been at least one bird winner and several notable placings. I usually get criticised for being a perv if I do pick a girl anyway!

Nobody seems to mind the DJs making c***s of themselves so I don't see why you lot shouldn't do the same.

A-D

Ady seeing as it's Janines last Cleethorpes for a while (Deserter!!!!) what about having "The Entertainer" as all three of the records for the competition, banning everyone else from entering and making her JANINE SNOW dance in the middle of the crowded floor to the lot.

Just deserts i say for all the grief she's given to DJ's over the years just to play that bloody record ;o))))))

John

Social source share

I don't trust Ady in the competiotions anymore!

When he hasn't rigged them he just plain cheats!!!

He threw me to the floor in a very physical way last time I played musical chairs with him, and I had to show Andy Rix my pants (come to think of it i'm still not sure why that was??)

Social source share

Come to think of it Mr Rimmer......

Do you remember last years dancing competition when I was standing next to you watching Micky dance?

Mick's generally a pretty good dancer but unfortunately he was under the influence of veterinary drugs and dancing like a complete loon!!

He was rubbing himself up and down in a sultry manner and then pointing at people, combined with his very strage kung fu moves it was certainly a sight to behold!

Can't wait for this year maybe he'll win!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Shall we get a gang up Lou?

I bagsy his record box if i've gotta grab anything, failing that i'll hold your coat LOL

Careful girls there is a name for that sort of behaviour and it's not mentioned in polite company :-O

John

PS it's always a good idea to make sure you have a firm grasp on the goat as they can be cantankerous

I'll get me goat...................................

Social source share

Shall we get a gang up Lou?

I bagsy his record box if i've gotta grab anything, failing that i'll hold your coat LOL

Me & you Jodie we'll have him, if anyone has ever wondered what Mick would look like without a tash then watch this space......;-)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

LOL i know i'm sure Mick will smoothe talk his way out of the de-tashing if i'm any judge. The debonair Mr Smith as he's known by the ladies in my circle

John

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Johhny.

Do they have knitting in your ladies circle??

Can I have a red and white bobble hat ready for next season please??

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

No you bloody well can't!!!!! RED & WHITE SH**E!!!! We only cater to gentlemen of distinction and taste, unfortunately whichever team you do support, the fact that they play in red and white eliminates you from the later.

Troutster son of Colin Bell ;O))

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It is Bristol City.

Did I ever tell you of my 3 years in Manchester. Watching the Blue lot as often as I could, ie when City didnt have a game. Saw Paul Lake. What a tragedy he couldnt get over the injury, and even saw David Oldfield score a diving header from outside the box, against Luton I think. Saw the cup 1/4 final with Spurs. Really funny as a neutral. Watching the City and Spurs fans abuse each other. The more Spurs laughed, the angrier City got, until they burst and invaded the pitch. Wiped the smiles off a few yid faces ;-)

Not really a story for your table. Though I did have a nice chat with Michael Robinson about 2 years ago down the 100 club. Didnt he play for you at some stage, maybe before Liverpool?

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Yes i seem to remember we paid a lot for him around 79 ish from Preston NE, he stayed around the 12 month mark and was sold on to somewhere like Brighton, don't remember him making much of a mark at City though ;o)

Trootster

Don't tell Mike Ashley but i suppose BCFC ain't too bad although i must admit to a soft spot for the gas ;o))))))

Social source share

Me & you Jodie we'll have him, if anyone has ever wondered what Mick would look like without a tash then watch this space......;-)

Tell you what, I'll bring the wax strips and we could give him a brazilian right on his mush!! (No boys....it's not something rude) but it would definately smart a bit.

Then..... we could auction it on eBay under northern soul memorabilia and split the profits

"Genuine issue from 1974, one careful owner, beer stains included" WOL (Was On Lip)

LOL

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!