Burscough British Legion Sat 25Th September

Brookesy

BURSCOUGH BRITISH LEGION

LORD STREET

BURSCOUGH

LANCS L40 4BZ.

SATURDAY 25TH SEPTEMBER AND EVERY FOURTH SATURDAY OF THE MONTH.

Another superb night of quality sophisticated soul sounds at Burscough British Legion-----underplayed oldies, uptempo R&B, nighter spins, lesser played and lesser known tunes all spun on original vinyl.

Every fourth Saturday of the month, four guest DJs at each event (and me) ensuring a different mix of quality sounds each time! Now in our fourth great year! thumbsup.gif

This months fabulous DJs are: :thumbup:

Phil Threlfall (Preston)

Bridgey (York)

Adam Topping (Move On Soul Club Coventry)

Big Jimmy (Lowton Labour Club)

Brookesy (Burscough Legion)

Don't miss this unmissable event----if Burscough Legion was a street it would be Quality Street, accept no substitutes, Burscough Legion is the real deal! :thumbup:

For more info ring: 07855011505

• Replies 49
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Looking forward to this Brookesy (followed by Radcliffe so a hectic evening in store!)

Always enjoy Burscough cos of the up for it crowd and anything goes policy so I'll be trying to play some stuff that doesn't always get an airing, maybe even some 70s :yes: along with one or two big hitters including my new un :lol:

Line-up looks good in terms of a mix of stuff on the night as usual [so I'll try not to spoil it].

Roll on :lol:

Edited by PhilT

Another month is nearly upon us, bringing anther legion event. I've said this many times, the music is so varied, each person choosing records for their personal taste, or for the satisfaction of others. All the dj's booked for the legion, I would imagine are chosen for this reason. Phil T, if your sales boxes, are anything to go by, we're honoured for people like you to have such varied collections, always a pleasure to hear records, outside the top 500. To all promoters, dj's, collectors, keep up the good work! All the best, Nigel A.

Ayup Tony & Lisa,

B & B now booked....:yes:

Always look forward to our ritual trip over the Pennines to Burscough British Legion, even more so when I'm one of your Guest DJ's....:D

Records already sorted unless I buy more next week....:D (without Linda knowing)....:lol: LOL :lol:

KTF.......................... Bridgey & Linda...:lol::yes::D

Edited by Bridgey

Looking forward to this Brookesy (followed by Radcliffe so a hectic evening in store!)

Always enjoy Burscough cos of the up for it crowd and anything goes policy so I'll be trying to play some stuff that doesn't always get an airing, maybe even some 70s :D along with one or two big hitters including my new un :yes:

Line-up looks good in terms of a mix of stuff on the night as usual [so I'll try not to spoil it].

Roll on :D

A pleasure to welcome you to Burscough for the first time spinnin' a few tunes for us Phil. :lol:

Play what you want, thats our policy---as you said it should be another good mix of sounds with the DJs we've got on.

Wots your new 'un, by the way.......? :lol: :lol:

Another month is nearly upon us, bringing anther legion event. I've said this many times, the music is so varied, each person choosing records for their personal taste, or for the satisfaction of others. All the dj's booked for the legion, I would imagine are chosen for this reason. Phil T, if your sales boxes, are anything to go by, we're honoured for people like you to have such varied collections, always a pleasure to hear records, outside the top 500. To all promoters, dj's, collectors, keep up the good work! All the best, Nigel A.

Cheers Nigel, you're support at the Legion over the years has been much appreciated. :thumbsup:

See you next Saturday mate!! :shades:

Really looking forward to this :lol:.

DJ line up looks really good and it's a real treat to be part of it. I'll be doing my best to mix in some uptempo dancers with some more uptempo dancers and some quality mid-tempo might well find it's way into the playbox as well :D

Phil, will be good to see you again mate and this time with the added bonus of hearing your spins :lol:.

Roll on Saturday!

Adam.

Really looking forward to this :D.

DJ line up looks really good and it's a real treat to be part of it. I'll be doing my best to mix in some uptempo dancers with some more uptempo dancers and some quality mid-tempo might well find it's way into the playbox as well biggrin.gif

Phil, will be good to see you again mate and this time with the added bonus of hearing your spins :lol:.

Roll on Saturday!

Adam.

Ditto mate :lol:

Ayup Tony & Lisa,

B & B now booked....:yes:

Always look forward to our ritual trip over the Pennines to Burscough British Legion, even more so when I'm one of your Guest DJ's....:hatsoff2:

Records already sorted unless I buy more next week....:D (without Linda knowing)....:lol: LOL :lol:

KTF.......................... Bridgey & Linda...:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oreet Bridgey....we'll see your good self and Linda at the Legion on Saturday, lashings of good music and Newky Brown too,hopefully!! :D

Looking forward to hearing your spot, always top quality sounds. :thumbsup:

See you both on Saturday. :thumbup:

cant make this one ....but bloody hell i am missing a great line up ......if you have never been get yourself down for a MUSICAL treat:thumbsup: ....(and free beer from tony... first time visitors only)...:thumbup:

I told you not to say anything about that Kev------looks like I'll have to get extra pocket money off Lisa on Saturday night..........:thumbsup::thumbup:

See you soon Kev!!! :hatsoff2:

Thanks Nige that's very kind. However, I fear I'm selling the good stuff and keeping the sh*te :hatsoff2:

was good to see you at st teresas friday phil, dont forget the door is stil open for you in skem mate!!!:thumbsup: looking forward to saterday, i might see if i can persuade you to part with a sertain big un'

Edited by steptoe

was good to see you at st teresas friday phil, dont forget the door is stil open for you in skem mate!!!:thumbsup: looking forward to saterday, i might see if i can persuade you to part with a sertain big un'

Enjoyed it Paul, real good night mate. Will be good to see you Sat and they're all for sale bud :thumbsup:

Pete n I will b there for our monthly fix at the Legion always a great nite and something for everyone, even Smurfs :thumbsup:

Good to see you n Lisa at the weekend. Laters Smurfy x x x (aka the mental midgit)

We'll try to play some Smurf Soul just for you, Liz. :thumbsup:

Nice to see you both last weekend, hope you've sobered up slightly............beer.gif:lol::lol:

See you both on Saturday. :D

Really looking forward to this :D.

DJ line up looks really good and it's a real treat to be part of it. I'll be doing my best to mix in some uptempo dancers with some more uptempo dancers and some quality mid-tempo might well find it's way into the playbox as well :D

Phil, will be good to see you again mate and this time with the added bonus of hearing your spins :thumbsup:.

Roll on Saturday!

Adam.

A pleasure to be welcoming you to the Legion on Saturdy night Adam. :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy the long trip up north to the Burscough Badlands.........try not to get lost in the fog and end up asking directions at the Slaughtered Lamb..................:lol: Nigel might be lurking on the moors, again..........................ph34r.gif:lol:

Looking forward to hearing your tunes, should be another great night at the Legion!! :D

Oreet Bridgey....we'll see your good self and Linda at the Legion on Saturday, lashings of good music and Newky Brown too,hopefully!! :D

Looking forward to hearing your spot, always top quality sounds. :lol:

See you both on Saturday. :lol:

Newky Brown....:yes: Oooooooooooh Yeeessssssssssss, Now we're talking Tony....:no:

Hi Tony

Me and Sue will be there allways up for Phils spot .See you friday first

ATB Les+Sue

Thanks mate, I'm always up for seeing you two :rolleyes:

Gonna dig a bit deeper than usual into the box this weekend (won't be long before all my tunes go again I reckon, for various reasons, so might as well make the most of em while I can).

Roll on Saturday, gonna be a belter!

Well, that's my choons sorted for Saturday....:hatsoff2:

Been digging deep into boxes I haven't looked at for months, found myself a few surprises....:lol:

So that only leaves "Linda" to do:

The Ironing....biggrin.gif

Polish the shoes....:D

Pack the overnight bags....:D

Fuel and clean the Car....:D

and if she's got time; Check the Tyre Pressure, Oil & Water....:lol:laugh.gif:lol: :lol: :lol:

KTF................. Bridgey & Linda....:yes:

Edited by Bridgey

Hi Tony

Me and Sue will be there allways up for Phils spot .See you friday first

ATB Les+Sue

See you Friday and Saturday Les. :thumbsup:

DJ times for Saturday:

8-----8.30..........Tony Brookes

8.30-----9..........Big Jimmy

9-----9.30..........Adam Topping

9.30-----10..........Bridgey

10-----10.30..........Phil Threlfall

10.30-----11..........Big Jimmy

11-----11.30..........Adam Topping

11.30-----12..........Bridgey

12-----12.30..........Phil Threlfall

12.30-----1..........Tony Brookes

Hope these are ok for everyone, let me know if theres any probs and I'll sort it out.

See you all on Saturday! :lol:

See you Friday and Saturday Les. :thumbsup:

DJ times for Saturday:

8-----8.30..........Tony Brookes

8.30-----9..........Big Jimmy

9-----9.30..........Adam Topping

9.30-----10..........Bridgey

10-----10.30..........Phil Threlfall

10.30-----11..........Big Jimmy

11-----11.30..........Adam Topping

11.30-----12..........Bridgey

12-----12.30..........Phil Threlfall

12.30-----1..........Tony Brookes

Hope these are ok for everyone, let me know if theres any probs and I'll sort it out.

See you all on Saturday! :thumbup:

Just sat in the living room surrounded by records trying to get a playbox ready, normally takes me at least 3 or 4 attempts :P:lol:. Had a stunning 45 arrive in the post this morning which I'm really looking forward to playing out :glare:

Times are all good for me Tony, getting collected by my driver at 5.30 so all being well we should be there for the start :lol:.

Really sorry we can't make it on Saturday, I've already shown you my 'note' from my mum. laugh.gif

Sounds like a really good line up.........as per usual. Have a great night all, see you at the next one for sure. :thumbsup:

Sandy :thumbsup:

You can have a pass out for this one................:D

Have a great weekend and we'll see you all :thumbsup:soon.

Hiya Tony & Lisa,

Well, it certainly looks like I'm gonna be missing a great night at the Legion on Saturday. The line-up looks great and sure to be some fine tunes played :D

I hope you have a crackin' night and I'll sithi when I get back :thumbsup:

Hope you have a top time in Skeggy this weekend-----keep an eye on Tony Two--Pints though, you know what he gets like..........................laugh.gif

See you soon Martin. :thumbsup:

Well, that's my choons sorted for Saturday....thumbsup.gif

Been digging deep into boxes I haven't looked at for months, found myself a few surprises....:face:

So that only leaves "Linda" to do:

The Ironing....:D

Polish the shoes....:D

Pack the overnight bags....:D

Fuel and clean the Car....:D

and if she's got time; Check the Tyre Pressure, Oil & Water....:face: :face: :face: :face: :face:

KTF................. Bridgey & Linda....:face:

At least you're keeping her busy, Bridgay. :D Don't like to see a woman slacking, have to keep them on their toes.......:thumbsup::lol:

(Only joking Linda......) :thumbsup::D

Just sat in the living room surrounded by records trying to get a playbox ready, normally takes me at least 3 or 4 attempts :yes::lol:. Had a stunning 45 arrive in the post this morning which I'm really looking forward to playing out :)

Times are all good for me Tony, getting collected by my driver at 5.30 so all being well we should be there for the start :lol:.

Just play what you want Adam, no pressure mate! We're sure its all going to be quality stuff so just go out there and enjoy yourself, thats what its all about! :lol:

Setting off at 5.30 eh? Blimey, you'll be there before us! :no:

See you on Saturday. :D

Just play what you want Adam, no pressure mate! We're sure its all going to be quality stuff so just go out there and enjoy yourself, thats what its all about! :thumbsup:

Setting off at 5.30 eh? Blimey, you'll be there before us! :ohmy:

See you on Saturday. biggrin.gif

Cheers Tony, you'll be there well before me I hope mate! About two and a half hours drive we think from the depths of the midlands to your place and that's if we don't get lost :lol: .

I'm really looking forward to it, going to give you a taste of what I play at my own night 'Move On' in Coventry, so from my time at the decks expect to hear a lot of gritty up-tempo 60s soul mixed together with some storming RnB and quite possibly some hard funk edged sounds :thumbup:

See ya tomorrow biggrin.gif

Edited by Guest

Cheers Tony, you'll be there well before me I hope mate! About two and a half hours drive we think from the depths of the midlands to your place and that's if we don't get lost :lol: .

I'm really looking forward to it, going to give you a taste of what I play at my own night 'Move On' in Coventry, so from my time at the decks expect to hear a lot of gritty up-tempo 60s soul mixed together with some storming RnB and quite possibly some hard funk edged sounds :hatsoff2:

See ya tomorrow :D

Sounds like my sorta stuff Adam, the gritty R&B sounds always go down well at the Legion.

Nice day for a drive up the M6, hope the weather stays good for you----if you have any problems finding us don't hesitate in giving me a ring on my mobile. See you later. :thumbsup:

Busy weekend this time Phil, but I'm sure we'll have a good night regardless.............looking forward to hearing your toooones tonight!! :(

I'm just trying to sort em out now mate - and am failing miserably :lol: Haven't got a clue what to bring so I've gone for the random handfuls approach. See you soon mate, buzzin! (Missing Joanie already though, the lickle heckler)

Can't make this one as I am spinning elsewhere.

Always a great night at Burscough.

I am sure everyone will have a good unyes.gif

Good luck Tony,

You'll need it with Phil T / not thumbsup.gif

And Nigel - don't be late for the car boot in the morning.

Can't make this one as I am spinning elsewhere.

Always a great night at Burscough.

I am sure everyone will have a good unyes.gif

Good luck Tony,

You'll need it with Phil T / not :(

And Nigel - don't be late for the car boot in the morning.

Cheers John----have a good night yourself and we'll see you soon mate. :lol:

Last call for Burscough Legion.......see you all there! :D

Assume mods will move to lookbacks in due course. Sunday morning, can't sleep, bored etc so excuse this if it turns into an incoherent, rambling load of balls .

Despite the obvious big pulls of the Skeg weekender and Radcliffe nighter numbers weren't too bad at all at T'Legion and, more importantly, those that did go along seemed (to me anyway) to be well up for a night of anything goes quality soul.

Always a bit disconcerting when the floor is empty and your playing records to it - although I've grown quite used to it over the years- but then when you loook around you see all the heads nodding and toes tapping away and are reassured. A bit like that is Burscough but certainly none the worse for it and actually quite refreshing. Folk know what they're getting, by and large, and choose to dance or not; no dramas either way. Nice to relax and just play stuff without constantly chasing the floor which can sometimes end-up in resort to lowest common denominator sounds. Not ere.

A good number of the usual suspects in attendance and always great to catch up with mates like Jimmy, Mr and Mrs W, Les and Mrs H, Paul, Col Murph, Jacko, Neil et al. (Missed Tony, Joan and Ian of course who were on nighter duties but next time for sure).

Anyway, to the chase ... ... was totally and utterly knackd following a nighter on Friday but really enjoyed it as I invariably do. I suspect that puddings can sometimes get over-egged in 'lookbacks' but honestly, overall, I think the tunes played over the course of the whole night were as good as you'll hear at any soul nite in a small West Lancashire citadel:lol:

Nah, it was miles better than that and all the DJs contributed equally I think as everyone added a bit of something different to the mix and the end result was spot-on IMHO: Clarence Reid, Johnny Honeycut, Winfield Parker, Arthur Alexander, Cash McCall etc etc:

Big Jimmy - good ear bud :lol: Caviar tastes like sh*t Jim; they don't have to be expensive mate;

Adam - passionate, up-for-it and progressive as ever and, more importantly, a top lad;

Bridgey - great to meet you pal; lovely fella and a nice cross-section of tasty plays emerged from that box all night.(Even put the pressure on by getting em up you bugger; that's the last time I'm following you :D )

Not forgetting mein host and I thought Brookesy's selections at the end of the night were magic: William Hunt, Bobbie Smith, Visitors etc ... :thumbup:

Full credit then to Mr and Mrs B! Its obviously a major commitment and not all plain sailing running any event yet they've established a genuinely forward-thinking night in a great venue, where folk can play what they like and punters can soak it up as they see fit. Perfect!

Its a competetive old market at the mo as we all know and while the big venues do a major and in various senses quite different job, as they always have of course, there's absolutely no doubting the fact that the scene would be a whole lot poorer without nights like Burscough and the punters who continue to support it.

Thanks again for asking me to play some records and roll on the next one. Playlists posted as requested Tony; it's in the, erm, playlist bit :yes:

atb

Phil

ps. Adam - don't tell anyone :yes: Attractive trades always a possibility :lol:

pps. Jimmy (minus sat nav) - just stay where you are, lock the doors and I'll come and get yer :D

Edited by PhilT