Bournemouth Railway Club 25Th Sept

Right here we go, another soul nite at the railway is upon us, if you havent been there before and you trully want to hear soul music that is fresh, mixed with choice classics, R&B , Motown and some hard edge funk, then this is the place, not contempt with standing still, djs who change there playlists on a regalar basis, good sound system, decent sized dancefloor, free car park, cheep bar and entry only £3

8 TIL 2

DJs

Jonah ( 60s / 70s / motown /Classics / R&B / rare & underplayed)

Simon Preston ( 60s / 70s / Classics / modern / rare & underplayed )

Tim Smithers ( 60s / 70s / Classics / rare / underplayed / hard edge funky soul )

Edited by tim smithers
  • Replies 28
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Mortimore

. Yes, it is about time we had another night at this venue. I know the club needs the business, so it's a pity we don't get more of these ocassions squeezed in.

. I think Tim's introduction gives you an idea of what this club is all about. When Mr. Smithers plays, there is invariably an uncompromising extra edge to the music, such is the nature of the beast.

. Although he's keen on RnB soul, Jonah tends to play a range of soul music which helps to pacify some of those that prefer a more generalised approach. Simon Preston is much the same, a crowd pleaser who usually comes into his own right at the end of the night and sometimes well beyond the scheduled finishing time of 2 a.m. - When he ups the tempo and gives the late night dancing fraternity what it wants, as spaces start to appear on the dancefloor.

. It wasn't quite the same last time around, when the night fizzled out at 2 o'clock. But over the last couple of years we've had some fantastic nights of late entertainment upto and beyond 3 a.m. - I hope this Saturday is one of them.

. Yes, it is about time we had another night at this venue. I know the club needs the business, so it's a pity we don't get more of these ocassions squeezed in.

. I think Tim's introduction gives you an idea of what this club is all about. When Mr. Smithers plays, there is invariably an uncompromising extra edge to the music, such is the nature of the beast.

. Although he's keen on RnB soul, Jonah tends to play a range of soul music which helps to pacify some of those that prefer a more generalised approach. Simon Preston is much the same, a crowd pleaser who usually comes into his own right at the end of the night and sometimes well beyond the scheduled finishing time of 2 a.m. - When he ups the tempo and gives the late night dancing fraternity what it wants, as spaces start to appear on the dancefloor.

. It wasn't quite the same last time around, when the night fizzled out at 2 o'clock. But over the last couple of years we've had some fantastic nights of late entertainment upto and beyond 3 a.m. - I hope this Saturday is one of them.

Your so right Dave, for me the Railway is one of the very few clubs on the south coast thats meeting the needs of the rare scene and those who like to hear classics, was the first regular soul nite on the south coast playing rare latin and funk edge choons, now most clubs feel comfortable playing the latin stuff and will also cotton on to the funk edge stuff me thinks, one thing for sure, your never quite know what your gonna get at the railway and i wouldnt have it any other way:thumbsup:

Your so right Dave, for me the Railway is one of the very few clubs on the south coast thats meeting the needs of the rare scene and those who like to hear classics, was the first regular soul nite on the south coast playing rare latin and funk edge choons, now most clubs feel comfortable playing the latin stuff and will also cotton on to the funk edge stuff me thinks, one thing for sure, your never quite know what your gonna get at the railway and i wouldnt have it any other way:thumbsup:

one of the biggest problems tim is getting the balance right

moldie

one of the biggest problems tim is getting the balance right

moldie

This is true Mick, think we are close to getting there, but we are deffanatly not going to sit back on our laurels, as we would hate to see our scene end up like the Rock & Roll scene, playing the same tunes over and over again, we try to bring in some intresting tunes that are mostly new to peoples ears:thumbsup:

This is true Mick, think we are close to getting there, but we are deffanatly not going to sit back on our laurels, as we would hate to see our scene end up like the Rock & Roll scene, playing the same tunes over and over again, we try to bring in some intresting tunes that are mostly new to peoples ears:thumbsup:

i think your almost there tim....if you was further north you would have cracked it 100% by now but we both know what the southern soul scene is like...ive seen it at the uni,patching and the crown...the crowd never seem to know what they want on the night...ive seen tunes empty the floor one night and yet 3 mothes later its rammed

moldie

i think your almost there tim....if you was further north you would have cracked it 100% by now but we both know what the southern soul scene is like...ive seen it at the uni,patching and the crown...the crowd never seem to know what they want on the night...ive seen tunes empty the floor one night and yet 3 mothes later its rammed

moldie

Agree with ya Mick, what it needs is some northerners to get there backsides down south and see and hear for themselfs:hatsoff2:

Agree with ya Mick, what it needs is some northerners to get there backsides down south and see and hear for themselfs:hatsoff2:

not much chance of that tim..they have a thousand events of there own to choose from and all within walking distance..keep plugging away mate

regards moldie

Really enjoyed myself on my only previous visit to the Railway Club, it really was a great night musically & i danced a lot of the night.

There's always been stuff like Latin & Funk & a bit of 7ts & Modern played on the scene but for me personally it scares me when i see it advertised, it's not on the whole the stuff i want to hear but i don't mind a bit of it, the stuff i danced to last time was the classic Northern, the underplayed NS & some of the R & B.

I'm sort of tempted to come up to this night again sometime in the future but am slightly concerned i may not like it as much if there's too much of the former played.

I guess that's the problem on the South Coast you are alluding to.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Really enjoyed myself on my only previous visit to the Railway Club, it really was a great night musically & i danced a lot of the night.

There's always been stuff like Latin & Funk & a bit of 7ts & Modern played on the scene but for me personally it scares me when i see it advertised, it's not on the whole the stuff i want to hear but i don't mind a bit of it, the stuff i danced to last time was the classic Northern, the underplayed NS & some of the R & B.

I'm sort of tempted to come up to this night again sometime in the future but am slightly concerned i may not like it as much if there's too much of the former played.

I guess that's the problem on the South Coast you are alluding to.

. I think you might have picked a night when Tim Smithers wasn't on the rosta. With Simon Preston to boot, you won't experience too much in the way of 70's or Modern being played. Yes, they have some Latin Soul in their repetoire, i.e. Black Sugar - It's too late, Bobby Valentine - Use it before you lose it, Manny Corchado - Pow Wow, Mongo Santamaria - We got latin soul, Ricardo Ray - Nitty Gritty and so forth which, even to someone like myself who loves the old Northern beat music, are eminently danceable. The zest produced by some of the crowd to these types of tunes always provides that extra dimension that makes certain nights at Bournemouth Railway Club so special.

. Tim is pushing Funk as an added string to his bow. But I'm not sure if I'd call it Funk, as it's not what I remember as Funk in the realms of Brass Construction, War, P Funk, etc. His music tends to be heavy on the beat and the horns, thus this new avenue he is exposing certainly has that feel to it. I'll be peeling my ears back on Saturday and working out whether it is what he says it is?

. I've said enough about Mr. Smithers in the past. He complains when I mention some of the obvious tunes he's played on a night (probably because they're Oldies, which is not what he's all about.), which is in reaction to him not wanting some of his notable rarities being broadcasted. Even though I abide by this code of conduct, he still doesn't do many requests for yours truly. I don't know? You try and raise a guy's profile and he still gives you stick. - The truth of the matter is, he is worth the effort as he's opened my mind to lots of music I wouldn't have contemplated in the past.

. After saying the above, one thing for sure is that we're going to get large portions of Northern & RnB Soul thrown into the mix and from past experiences, usually from 1.30 a.m. to a later 3 p.m. unscheduled finish has produced the best dance music. This happens on the better nights when people don't want to go home and would go on all night if the manager didn't call time.

. It's been a while since the last ocassion, so I'm expecting a good crowd to be in the venue, although there is another soul night going on in the region in Southampton, which is bound to drew a few from that part of the world that would normally attend the club.

. Fingers crossed! We're hoping for another one of those big nights at The Railway Club, Dave & Jan Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. It's been a while since the last ocassion, so I'm expecting a good crowd to be in the venue, although there is another soul night going on in the region in Southampton, which is bound to drew a few from that part of the world that would normally attend the club.

. Fingers crossed! We're hoping for another one of those big nights at The Railway Club, Dave & Jan Mortimore

And Bisley is on as well Dave. :rolleyes::wave:

its a pity you dont get to patchin then simon....we play plenty of the stuff you mentioned...come to think of it aint seen you at uni much or farnborough soul night

moldie

the railway club plays a right mix of tunes and as you know most of the djs in the south you should be able to pick the right night to visit

its a pity you dont get to patchin then simon....we play plenty of the stuff you mentioned...come to think of it aint seen you at uni much or farnborough soul night

moldie

the railway club plays a right mix of tunes and as you know most of the djs in the south you should be able to pick the right night to visit

You're right Moldie, ain't been out to too many dos in the last couple of years, one of the reasons is i'm now a shop owner so am involved in that most Saturdays & usually too knackered to think about souling, the other is i've lost my enthusiasm a bit for Northern Soul clubs.

Still hope to make it to the above clubs you mentioned at some stage.

Simon

You're right Moldie, ain't been out to too many dos in the last couple of years, one of the reasons is i'm now a shop owner so am involved in that most Saturdays & usually too knackered to think about souling, the other is i've lost my enthusiasm a bit for Northern Soul clubs.

Still hope to make it to the above clubs you mentioned at some stage.

Simon

Me too Simon, no i havent got a shop, but have lost a bit of enthusiasm, thought about taken time out on the scene for a year or two, but then i thought i would still come back to djs playing still the same choons theve been playing none stop every wk for the last 10 yrs:lol: see ya soon mate:thumbsup:

Edited by tim smithers
Guest Dave Mortimore

LAST POST FROM ME BEFORE THE DO, HOPE TO SEE SOME OLD AND SOME NEW FACES THIS SAT,

' CUZ YOUR BE IN FOR A TREAT ':hatsoff2:

. Which surely depends on your disposition? Soul nights where you're involved can be somewhat like 'Marmite!' It's not always to the liking of those with a sweet tooth, i.e. Soft easy soul music.

. Personally speaking, I don't mind Marmite.

. Usually with a bit of cheese!

Edited by Dave Mortimore
Guest sandrap7644

Although this is a busy weekend for events im hoping to see a lot of you there.

We will try and play something different with the aim to try and please everybody ( impossible task).

Had some good feedback through some different people.

Come on guys and girls lets go and boogie and a have a hell of a time. Its a date on my part... Se ya all tonight.

DJ Jonah

Source Advert