Removing Lots Of Tape Residue From Vinyl 45

Premium Stuff

Hi everyone

Hope someone can help me out please

I have a quite rare and obscure 45 pressed on vinyl (not styrene)

There is a substantial amount of tape residue on the vinyl on one side covering about a fifth of the surface area

It looks like there was a large piece of sticky tape on it at one stage - I assume something like packing tape or duct tape

Anyway the tape was evidently removed aged ago - but there are lots of marks on the label where the sticky stuff was left behind - this residue is quite thick in places and (edit) is dried hard

Can anyone recommend a safe method for removing this from a vinyl record please?

I had wondered about 'sticky stuff remover' but have no idea whether that woud wreck the vinyl :thumbsup:

Any advice much apreciated - especially from qualified chemists!! :wave:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Paul

Thanks for the tip - sure that will come in handy sometime

About this 45, I stupidly forgot to mention :thumbsup: ... the sticky stuff is dried hard so I guess I need something that will dissolve it (will edit original post accordingly)

If you or anyone else has any other tips for dried-on sticky stuff I would be really grateful

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Hi Paul

Thanks for the tip - sure that will come in handy sometime

About this 45, I stupidly forgot to mention :thumbsup: ... the sticky stuff is dried hard so I guess I need something that will dissolve it (will edit original post accordingly)

If you or anyone else has any other tips for dried-on sticky stuff I would be really grateful

Cheers

Richard

I'd be very careful mate, I'd go down the route of warm water to try to soften it, before trying anything drastic, some of the glues used in duct tape can burn into vinyl, which makes it potentially a lost cause, what is the record?

Social source share

Hi Tony

Thanks for the advice

Record is just Billy Soul on Velvet Sound - not massive price-wise at all - but still fairly obscure and seemingly quite hard to locate

Cheers

Richard

Most won't know Billy Soul, gotta be 10 times harder* than Taurus & Leo, have you tryed leaving it standing in warm water, (avoiding the label of course kids) to see if the residue will soften?

*at time of going to press

Social source share

3M used to make an artists cleaning fluid called Scotch Clean Art that could be safely used on vinyl and labels (if used gently - ie dabbed not rubbed).

Printers used to use it on transarencies, to clean off any grease or adhesive prior to running them through the print process...

A search of the web may bring someone up that still stocks it.

Social source share

Hi everyone

Hope someone can help me out please

I have a quite rare and obscure 45 pressed on vinyl (not styrene)

There is a substantial amount of tape residue on the vinyl on one side covering about a fifth of the surface area

It looks like there was a large piece of sticky tape on it at one stage - I assume something like packing tape or duct tape

Anyway the tape was evidently removed aged ago - but there are lots of marks on the label where the sticky stuff was left behind - this residue is quite thick in places and (edit) is dried hard

Can anyone recommend a safe method for removing this from a vinyl record please?

I had wondered about 'sticky stuff remover' but have no idea whether that woud wreck the vinyl :thumbsup:

Any advice much apreciated - especially from qualified chemists!! :shades:

Cheers

Richard

zoffs quite good its mainly used for removing plasters,when they have been on a while plasters leave a sticky residue on the skin.

Any chemist should stock it.

Social source share

I have used both surgical spirits and turps/white spirit but use it on a cotton bud to soften and lift the glue a good idea to soak in warm water and washing up liquid also rinse well in washing up liquid & water Then clean water. then use vinyl cleaner to finish If this doesn't work Pm Me for more info!! :shades::thumbsup: Atb John

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Try WD 40, it's quite good at removing lables. As there is no carrier solvent it should be prety safe on vinyl, but as always try it first on an old record you don't care about.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!