David Gest's Soul Spectacular

yes honest ...a soul night at the cathedral with david gest ...tickets...£100....£200...and £300:ohmy: it does inc wine and dinner ( i think that means aussie white wine and a plate of scouse ):yes: ...i need someone to open and put the flyer on here if they can...been told LITTLE ANTHONY ...and PERCY SLEDGE ..will be on so i hope someone will put up the full list ..as they in the pool TA LAH........:lol:

Social source share

• Replies 62
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

yes honest ...a soul night at the cathedral with david gest ...tickets...£100....£200...and £300:ohmy: it does inc wine and dinner ( i think that means aussie white wine and a plate of scouse ):hatsoff2: ...i need someone to open and put the flyer on here if they can...been told LITTLE ANTHONY ...and PERCY SLEDGE ..will be on so i hope someone will put up the full list ..as they in the pool TA LAH........:)

anybody got any more info the line up ........do you think they will allow talc on the floor....

Social source share

just a few tunes they can play........

george carrow..angel baby..........gospel classics...more love ..............admirations....heaven is in your arms...........apollos....mr.creator..........blanch carter...halos are for angels.......fathers angels.....bok to bach..........bobby taylor.... ive been blessed...

must be some more ...

Social source share

yes honest ...a soul night at the cathedral with david gest ...tickets...£100....£200...and £300:ohmy: it does inc wine and dinner ( i think that means aussie white wine and a plate of scouse ):D ...i need someone to open and put the flyer on here if they can...been told LITTLE ANTHONY ...and PERCY SLEDGE ..will be on so i hope someone will put up the full list ..as they in the pool TA LAH........:rolleyes:

Social source share

make it 17 acts ?

be interesting seeing how they are going to do it

as in length of whole show and all that sort of thing

A great line up

but he has put it in the wrong city

bummer for him

Social source share

A great line up

but he has put it in the wrong city

bummer for him

why what makes you think its in the wrong city ?

back in the 60s, liverpool was renowned for its soul music (before the mersey beat thing ) liverpool being the main port in which imported american soul music enterd the uk through , and was played here before most other places the sink club was running the same time as the wheel playing the same music and was just as populer by all acounts by those that went to both!! the wheel i believe went on longer ect', the beatles and the mersey sound completly took over and decimated the soul scene in liverpool . its always been a very cosmopolitan city and is a very cultured city always has been . many many diferent cultures and music thrive here side by side always have and always will , and before anyone starts to have a go .im a born and bread wiganer ...ie' greater manchester lad, who has lived on merseyside for many years , may not be as many northern fans (loads actually but not many clubs) in liverpool but sertainly loads of soul fans here !!

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

why what makes you think its in the wrong city ?

Just because in the last 20 years of me going to Liverpool I have never heard of a Soul night in the city.

I do enjoy a good night out in town and a pub crawl in Matthew and Slater street etc.

And maybe it will be a successful night

I just think it would have been sort of more sensible in Manchester.

I can't see many people travelling all the way from Nottingham and Yorkshire etc to Liverpool

especially with petrol prices so dear and the tickets also dear

Cracking line up tho !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Actually these are always majorely successful events.

David Guest has the ability to get these events together because he pretty much has all the angles worked out. For a start he knows all the acts personally and they'll pick up the phone for David Guest. Secondly, it's essentialy a charity event which targets the business community and will generate a huge amount of money from the charity auction bids. Thirdly, he knows how to look after the acts and the majority of the performers will be doing this gig as a 'favour' gig for David.

I've gotta hand it to him. The line-up is nothing short of incredible. If this line-up was billed for a Northern Soul Weekender it would sell out in seconds. Good on him. Probably the best line-up of Soul Music talent ever.

I mean, Lamont Dozier? Phew. That's good enough for me and I'm trying to blag it as I speak.........

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Had a night to think about this

I paid about £80 to see Oasis last year with Laddo

he's just done the V festival saturday pass £80

and Muse at Old trafford cost £75 off ebay

I'd like to go £100 is a snip if you got a good view-but there are tickets at £300 each for front row tables now £600 for a pair is stretching it a bit

£1,000 for a night out. its a charity do, they expect you to chuck another grand in the pot

£2,000 for a night out ? its footballer stuff to most of us but I bet there's a couple on here that already have their front row seats booked :ph34r:

lucky buggers

Rob

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Actually these are always majorely successful events.

David Guest has the ability to get these events together because he pretty much has all the angles worked out. For a start he knows all the acts personally and they'll pick up the phone for David Guest. Secondly, it's essentialy a charity event which targets the business community and will generate a huge amount of money from the charity auction bids. Thirdly, he knows how to look after the acts and the majority of the performers will be doing this gig as a 'favour' gig for David.

I've gotta hand it to him. The line-up is nothing short of incredible. If this line-up was billed for a Northern Soul Weekender it would sell out in seconds. Good on him. Probably the best line-up of Soul Music talent ever.

I mean, Lamont Dozier? Phew. That's good enough for me and I'm trying to blag it as I speak.........

Ian D :yes:

David, contacted me a few weeks back asking if I would be a consultant for the event,

I had to decline, as I could not promise that I would come on here after the event and slag off him and everyone else associated with the event, because he did not ask my advice with the running order

Social source share

Actually , spoke to Little Anthony Wed night and as far as they are concerned things aren't signed and sealed, he said there was a discussion a while back were Clarence and David couldn't agree on a few things,and that's were it was left, he was quite shocked when i told him that they were on the flyer as appearing and had me send them it.

I wonder who els is on there that isn't actual y appearing, i know Brenda Holloway is deffo appearing :-))

Social source share

Actually , spoke to Little Anthony Wed night and as far as they are concerned things aren't signed and sealed, he said there was a discussion a while back were Clarence and David couldn't agree on a few things,and that's were it was left, he was quite shocked when i told him that they were on the flyer as appearing and had me send them it.

I wonder who els is on there that isn't actual y appearing, i know Brenda Holloway is deffo appearing :-))

Thanx for the info Sue, Knew you 2 would find out the score :D

steve

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

1st nov 2010 looks like a great nite out

David Gest's Soul Spectacular

Back to Southport Theatre by popular demand, David Gest's hosts his new show, Soul Spectacular starring Live In Concert: THE TEMPTATIONS REVIEW featuring DENNIS EDWARDS (The Original Grammy - winning lead singer of their classic hits), RUSSELL THOMPKINS, JR & THE NEW STYLISTICS (The Original lead singer of all the the Stylistics Hits), PEABO BRYSON, LAMONT DOZIER, ASHFORD & SIMPSON, THE TYMES, FREDA PAYNE, DOROTHY MOORE, EDDIE FLOYD, KIM WESTON, ARCHIE BELL, THE INTRUDERS, BRENDA HOLLOWAY, DEE DEE SHARP, CANDI STATON, EDDIE HOLMAN & very special guest star PERCY SLEDGE

tickets start at £26 thats not bad for what you get

Edited by mickjay33
Social source share

If none of the acts turn up at least there will be one "special gest" ...David Guest!

No offence but I'm a little bit suspicious of "celebrities" ...especially when they put their own photo on the posters.

Paul

Social source share

David Gest presents...

DAVID GEST!!!

Also featuring...

The Temptations Review, The Stylistics, Lamont Dozier, Peabo Bryson, The Emotions, Ashford & Simpson, Billy Paul,

The Tymes, Freda Payne, Dorothy Moore, Little Anthony & The Imperials, Archie Bell, Brenda Holloway, Dee Dee Sharp, Candi Staton,

Eddie Holman, Percy Sledge and other people who aren't anywhere near as important as the fabulous celebrity David Gest

:thumbup:

Social source share

as ian pointed out in an earlier post, david obviously is on first name terms from a professional stand with these artists as, many of you may already be aware, he has called on them annually now for 8 years that i can remember and can testify to the extensive advertising of these events on smooth radio. these outrageously large line-ups promise a fabulous show, so much so, you are literally spoilt with so much soul on one block. i would hope that clarity reigns with regards anyone not making the bill and that david guest confirms this well in advanceas the cost of tickets at this time of year with so much else on in that month, really IS going to hit people's pockets hard and as they say....WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET and that is precisely what the punters will want for their hard earned cash. ultimately a great SOUL night out.

if.....little anthony does appear,.. it begs the question we all would ask......WILL THEY "ROLL BACK THE CARPETS" FOR "BETTER USE YOUR HEAD"!!:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

6 OF us booked to see this(or similar) David Guest do at St Georges Hall in Bradford--last November ,and Jimmy Ruffin was also on,it was cancelled at short notice--i later spoke to a lady who worked in the ticket office and she told me they had hardly sold any tickets--£65 and £85---but very similar line up

T.C.

Social source share

:D mmmmmm :thumbsup:

David Gest advertised a similar type soul event in Blackpool a couple of years ago. Granted, the line up was not the same as what he is advertising here.

However, we paid our money and at the last minute it was cancelled. It took weeks to get out money back. :thumbsup:

Fast forward some months later and a similar night in Blackpool was adveritised. We didn't bother and I'm fairly certain, could be wrong, that this got pulled too.

Be cautious is all I'm saying. It could all be genuine. However, he does have history. See the Bradford cancellation post and the other question marks against artists booked or not.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know how many venues have been booked for this as it seems like a lot of top artist's if it's just Liverpool And Southport??

Does any have other gigs seperately over here at the same time ? - it seems like an awful lot of dosh to be bringing them all in just for 2 dates - you can be sure these folks won't be flying coach class transatlantic or staying at a motorway services Days Inn..

Social source share

I went last year and it was fabulous!

Like someone said above, it WAS worth it just to see Dorothy Moore singing Misty Blue :yes:

The line up this year is even stronger and although you know they won't be singing anything other than their biggest hits, it'll still be worth it imho

Although I'd dearly love to see Lamont Dozier doing a full on concert of his own stuff, I think I'd crawl on broken glass to see just one performance of 'Why can't we be lovers'

I'll be there again this year for sure :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I went last year and it was fabulous!

Like someone said above, it WAS worth it just to see Dorothy Moore singing Misty Blue :yes:

The line up this year is even stronger and although you know they won't be singing anything other than their biggest hits, it'll still be worth it imho

Although I'd dearly love to see Lamont Dozier doing a full on concert of his own stuff, I think I'd crawl on broken glass to see just one performance of 'Why can't we be lovers'

I'll be there again this year for sure :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Someone said Lamont's doing Southport didn't they? :lol:

Should've be Prestatyn surely.

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

I saw his show in London last year which had an almost equally great lin-up, BUT it was full of twats who were there to get pissed up and kept getting up for another drink. Hopefully there won't be a bar. Other than that and David Gest who was a real tosser it was great!

A statement often echoed by Liza Minnelli :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!