Premium Stuff

• Replies 22
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest JIM BARRY

As a collector of mostly 60s Detroit stuff I would be really interested to hear your recommendations for good quality Motorcity soul/funk from the 1970s please :lol::hatsoff2:

Cheers

Richard

what about funkadelic?

Social source share

richard got loads will get in the volts over the weekend and dig some of the more obscure recommends for you im sure your on to DT etc but much overlooked for its funk and soul is westbound the catalogue is massive as with eastbound some crackers check out Melvin Sparks in refo-soul [incredible funky Detroit]then theres Wally etc and some of the smaller logos the superlatives recorded on -THREE GS springs to mind also [think thats a small Detroit logo].Val has just put the P FUNK ALL STARRS UP ON HUMP whichis a detroit indie on the xover thread etc etc.

Let me have a good look for you mate theres bloody tuns in Atkinson Towers!!!

BAZ A

Social source share

• 3 months later...

richard got loads will get in the volts over the weekend and dig some of the more obscure recommends for you im sure your on to DT etc but much overlooked for its funk and soul is westbound the catalogue is massive as with eastbound some crackers check out Melvin Sparks in refo-soul [incredible funky Detroit]then theres Wally etc and some of the smaller logos the superlatives recorded on -THREE GS springs to mind also [think thats a small Detroit logo].Val has just put the P FUNK ALL STARRS UP ON HUMP whichis a detroit indie on the xover thread etc etc.

Let me have a good look for you mate theres bloody tuns in Atkinson Towers!!!

BAZ A

Melvin sparks is awesome mate, it came out on a reissue 12 recently too.

Social source share

i recently bought the midwest funk cd that was put out by jazzman records, full of obscure funk and soul stuff, it includes the fantastic fred williams tune tell her,sure its detroit and surrounding areas, quality booklet with it too, worth finding if u dont already have it bud

jason

Social source share

The list is truely extensive, but here's a few to be going on with, many of these are in the Refro section.

Brewster Crew, Exportations, Fourth Day, Smith Brothers, Magnificents, Chuck Armstrong, Five O'clock, Little Rene Scott, Gaslight/Gaslights, Florence Trapp, Final Decisions, Tempting Five, Hunts Determination, K.I.C.

Social source share

Ahhh, where to begin.

The El Count Executives on Gemini,

The Ghetto Friendship,

Eric & the Vikings,

Carol Anderson 'Sad Girl'

Al Hudson 'Cry Baby' 'I'm About Lovin You' 'Spread Love' 'We Must Make It Happen' etc etc etc

The Webb People on TCB, (F&%^!!!!!, EVERYTHING on TCB, and everything Dave Hamilton & his group ever touched, period.)

Mighty Lovers on Soul Hawk 'I Ain't Gonna Run No More'

the Soul Toranodoes on Magic City,

Mad Dog & the Pups on Magic City,

Donald Austin on Woody & Westbound,

Dennis Coffey on Maverick and Sussex,

the Detroit Sex Machines on Soul Track,

Belita Woods on Moira

Jelly on Fu-Ja

Deep Heat 'do it again'

Pages 'Heartaches and Pain'

the Prophet and His Disciples 'You Fool You Fool'

Richard Smith on Hi-Q

Richards People on Tuba

Aged In Harmony

Final Decisions on Bumpshop,

Us Everyday People,

EVERYTHING on the Tribe label, for funky jazz

Beverly & Duane (Brown Bomber) / Pure Pleasure (QC) / Brothers Gilmore / KIC all brush up against the 80's,

but are still firmly rooted in the 70's

Dee Edwards Why Can't There Be Love

New Holidays Maybe So Maybe No

Brewster Crew on Lifeline

Four Real Inc on Flying Eagles

Solid Solution Lp

the Exportations

Bitter and the Sweet 'I Won't Have Any Babies For You'

the Expos on Stall

the entire Aquarius label - Domestic Five, Soul In-pressions, Ultimate Ovation

Sharlotte Shaw 'Say It To Me'

Fourth Day on DT

the Gibson Brothers on Rocker

11th Commandment

The Metros 'She's not just everybody's girl'

The Posse 'You Better Come Out and Play'

Tempting Five

Willie Pickett 'On the Stage of Life'

Percy & Them 'Shake It'

JJ Barnes on Organic

Sins Of Satan 'Trying to Get Back To Natural Feelings'

Carl Temple 'Soul Day Theme''

Uh Oh, I'm gonna be late for work.... but yeah, lots of stuff.

Good evening from Motown! Now get on youtube. Jelly still isn't in the phone book, BTW. :thumbsup:

Brad Hales

People's Records

Edited by mr.blue
Social source share

Percy & Them 'Shake It'

I've never understood why this is wanted by anyone, or why it fetches $600?? I'll listen to anything with a pretty open mind and I had several mint copies (don't PM me anyone, sold em all...one or two way too cheap but got some serious northern with the proceeds of the 8 copies I had lol) of this at one point.....listened to it several times thinking I must be missing something but everytime it still sounded like total garbage! So, can anyone tell me what makes this a good record???

Social source share

jUST REMEMBERED POSSE DID SOME rEALLY FUNKY STUFF ON VIP ALONG WITH THE HEARTS OF STONE ETC -THE VIP logo got on the funky side quite quickly compared to its counterparts ,take somebody like me springs to mind re Posse -etc -my record room is currently under servere construction at the momment but when done i will deffo get in the volts and have a good look,loads on the tip of my tongue that i cant just name without looking through,talking of which what about the DETROIT STUFF ON VOLT ETC FROM THE SEVENTIES ??

BAZ A

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

jUST HAD A QUICK LOOK IN THE BOMB THAT IS MY RECORD ROOM AND PULLED OUT THE DEPENDABLES ON VESTPOCKET -ALways thought it was west coast but noticed IVY JOE on credits could be another seventies detroit thing ?? could also not be also lol?? sure i will be corrected shortly if not !!

BAZ A

Social source share

jUST HAD A QUICK LOOK IN THE BOMB THAT IS MY RECORD ROOM AND PULLED OUT THE DEPENDABLES ON VESTPOCKET -ALways thought it was west coast but noticed IVY JOE on credits could be another seventies detroit thing ?? could also not be also lol?? sure i will be corrected shortly if not !!

BAZ A

That Dependables on Vestpocket is 70's Detroit indeed.

The Posse record on EJK is likely the first thing Eddie Kendricks ever did, I'm thinking.

He's not even the lead on the Come Out And Play side, interestingly.

As far as Percy and Them 'Shake It,' it must just be a matter of personal taste. It's obviously very disco-ey, they even use the words 'disco beat' in

the song. It's also somewhat lo-fi, in terms of the production values, but the lead and harmony vocals AND musicianship are extremely soulful, and if you have an open

minded dance floor, it's like wildfire. Been playing it for 10 years, (to naive yanks) and people always run up and ask what it is.

Social source share

That Dependables on Vestpocket is 70's Detroit indeed.

The Posse record on EJK is likely the first thing Eddie Kendricks ever did, I'm thinking.

He's not even the lead on the Come Out And Play side, interestingly.

As far as Percy and Them 'Shake It,' it must just be a matter of personal taste. It's obviously very disco-ey, they even use the words 'disco beat' in

the song. It's also somewhat lo-fi, in terms of the production values, but the lead and harmony vocals AND musicianship are extremely soulful, and if you have an open

minded dance floor, it's like wildfire. Been playing it for 10 years, (to naive yanks) and people always run up and ask what it is.

Think you're right on the Percy & Them Brad as it seems to be attracting more and more interest, I am definately in the minority by not liking it! But I always have had questionable taste :rolleyes:.

'Come Out And Play' by the Posse is great and one I keep meaning to give a spin out and hear what it sounds like on a big system. Too many records and not enough time to play them all out! One I've always had a soft spot for is Frr & Easy - Peace and Love on the Carol G label, needs pitching down a fair amount though as it's insanely fast.

Anybody know the going price on that Gibson Brothers?

Adam.

Social source share

I know Percy and Them probably isn't for everybody; it starts with lazer / bomb synthesizer noises! But their vocal game is top-notch.

Interesting arrangements too, for something that sounds like it was recorded for $50.

Add:

Burning Desire 'Why She Had To Go' to the list!

the 21st 'I Just Can't Forget Your Name.'

and a few nice 70's ballads:

JJ Barnes 'My Baby'

Elois Scott 'Broadway Love'

I know I'm forgetting many more.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!