100 Club To Close By Xmas

It's very sad, as I've already said, but these things happen - especially in high-rent inner city areas.

The answer is to move the 100 Club out of that expensive area.

Find a new venue with fairer rent and rates etc. Keep the name and the history but don't suffer more losses and don't raise money just to pass on to those who have already exploited the club and other tennants.

If people want to raise money, do it to buy a venue in a low-rent area. That's a lot more sensible.

Best wishes,

Social source share

It's very sad, as I've already said, but these things happen - especially in high-rent inner city areas.

Find a new venue with fairer rent and rates etc. Keep the name and the history but don't suffer more losses and don't raise money just to pass on to those who have already exploited the club and other tennants.

If people want to raise money, do it to buy a venue in a low-rent area. That's a lot more sensible.

Best wishes,

Well said , at last sense and not sentiment

Social source share

That's what happened to the legendary Marquee.

Result.. Now no Marquee.

I have just googled for information about The Marquee , and I did not realise that the club had relocated so many times , and usually for the same reason .

Relocation for The 100 club on one hand could be a good thing , but on the other , if it encountered the same difficulties as The Marquee , it could sadly , and ultimately mean the same outcome .

Malc

Social source share

Best wishes,

Can't disagree with any of that but i truly believe there needs to be a revolution in this country, greedy landlords, HMRC & the government need to be taken on, investigative journalism & if needs be violent struggle.

Soon we will have no heritage & it's all down to greed, people may say it's just a building but if you use that sentiment in all walks of life you just end up with a dead country full of memories & nothing tangible to hold on to.

I say people really show there strength of feeling against the rent increases, idealistic nonsensical government policy, local councils who keep putting up business rates & at the same time decrease the service they give to the public.

It's not just the 100 club, all us business owners are getting squeezed big time & most of it is down to greedy bankers, greedy landlords & governments treating people like scum.

I say fight this closure, if necessary break the law to do it, squat, mass demonstrations outside, whatever, publicity is what's required & hard facts so that peeps can show the world outside how despicable these people are that are stinging small businesses, heritage like the 100 club should be supported to high heaven, it's our heritage, much more than just a building!

Social source share

Can't disagree with any of that but i truly believe there needs to be a revolution in this country, greedy landlords, HMRC & the government need to be taken on, investigative journalism & if needs be violent struggle.

Soon we will have no heritage & it's all down to greed, people may say it's just a building but if you use that sentiment in all walks of life you just end up with a dead country full of memories & nothing tangible to hold on to.

I say people really show there strength of feeling against the rent increases, idealistic nonsensical government policy, local councils who keep putting up business rates & at the same time decrease the service they give to the public.

It's not just the 100 club, all us business owners are getting squeezed big time & most of it is down to greedy bankers, greedy landlords & governments treating people like scum.

I say fight this closure, if necessary break the law to do it, squat, mass demonstrations outside, whatever, publicity is what's required & hard facts so that peeps can show the world outside how despicable these people are that are stinging small businesses, heritage like the 100 club should be supported to high heaven, it's our heritage, much more than just a building!

The problem is Simon , that history and heritage does not count one iota with the greed merchants .

They will not give a toss that the building that houses The 100 Club , has a history and a heritage , having been a music venue since 24 October 1942 : they will only have a blinkered consideration and dictate for the future .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The problem is Simon , that history and heritage does not count one iota with the greed merchants .

They will not give a toss that the building that houses The 100 Club , has a history and a heritage , having been a music venue since 24 October 1942 : they will only have a blinkered consideration and dictate for the future .

Malc

Absolutely malc, that's why we need to show these empty vessels who only care about money what passion truly is, let's show 'em some real strength of feeling.

For me the NS part of this is very small, i very rarely go the 6ts nighters anymore mainly due to work & age, for me it's the heritage, as you say a music venue since 1942, that's real history that's gotta be worth fighting for.

Social source share

Can't disagree with any of that but i truly believe there needs to be a revolution in this country...

I agree, Simon.

It's long overdue.

There's too much corruption and exploitation.

Social source share

Absolutely malc, that's why we need to show these empty vessels who only care about money what passion truly is, let's show 'em some real strength of feeling.

For me the NS part of this is very small, i very rarely go the 6ts nighters anymore mainly due to work & age, for me it's the heritage, as you say a music venue since 1942, that's real history that's gotta be worth fighting for.

The venue opened in 1942 , during which London was still suffering bombing attacks .

For the promoter to open , and continue running through the conflict of the war , was highly commendable , and that fact alone should be given worthwhile - but unlikely - consideration in respect of its' historical and heritage value .

Malc

Social source share

Simple guys, stop sitting here moaning, do something. I sent this off to Boris this morning as an email. If the 100 Clubs goes it will be a shame, but as I state it's part of a much bigger picture, where we are all letting our musicla heritage disappear. Also sent it to Ken Clarke, big jazz fan.

Hi Boris

I'm am sure you will be aware of the musical heritage of the 100 Club, Oxford St, sadly it's seems that it is to close. Having read statements put out by the owners, it seems that it is just another casulty of these economic times. The thing that I find sad is that we, in this counrty seem to care little for our musical heritage, that has for a major part of the 20th century, lead the way and the 100 Club was a key part of this. But it now seems that this will also go the same way as the Marquee Club.

I am a soul music collector and DJ and as such I travel the US alot, there the importance of such places has become apparent over the last 20 years and much has been done to save the history and often the buildings as well. Projects like the re-building of Beal St, The Stax studio and the protection of the Motown studio's, Detroit, as a historic site.

Surly it's time we woke up to our great musical heritage and start with the 100 Club as a way of leaving a mark in the sand for future music lovers, be they Jazz, Rock, Soul or Blues lovers.

Here are a few related links

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=160380190641113

Don't know what you can do, but would be interested in your thoughts.

Dave

Social source share

Malc

This is sad but so true and not only evident in London but all over.

This country has no shame.

Social source share

This is sad but so true and not only evident in London but all over.

This country has no shame.

Iv only been to the 100 club twice (for the allnighter) and what a do it is . The fantastic music, the great atmosphere and the friendly welcoming people . One of the best allnighters iv ever been to and iv been to quite a few.

Not only that , all the bands that have played there , the sex pistols comes to mind , and all the jam sessions and songs that may have been born there . People like Jimi Hendrix and other musicians all grooving away together and hanging around

What id like to know is .

Why is it ok for those posh twits to sit on velvet seats , in plush and gold leaf surroundings ,and listen to some boring opera (that you cant even dance to ! :thumbsup: ) at places like convent garden AT OUR EXPENSE and the 100 club (world famous in music circles) cant get any help or funding like they do

Not fair , not fair at all

https://www.streetsen...opera_house.htm

Edited by twopeople
Social source share

This is getting some coverage in NME, which my attract more interest from the punk side. Although, I'm thinking about the CBGB, punk's most famous landmark, and how it closed in 2006 for very similar reasons...

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC
Simple guys, stop sitting here moaning, do something. I sent this off to Boris this morning as an email. If the 100 Clubs goes it will be a shame, but as I state it's part of a much bigger picture, where we are all letting our musicla heritage disappear. Also sent it to Ken Clarke, big jazz fan.
You are quite right :thumbsup: . I've sent Boris an e-mail too, I will e-mail other people as well :thumbsup:
Social source share

Is anyone here in touch with the club owners? Just thought if they could go down the road of applying for heritage protection it could buy them some time and keep the developers at bay?

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Im with you on that one Simon

when we gonna lead the protest?

Al H:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Boris

I'm am sure you will be aware of the musical heritage of the 100 Club, Oxford St, sadly it's seems that it is to close. Having read statements put out by the owners, it seems that it is just another casulty of these economic times. The thing that I find sad is that we, in this counrty seem to care little for our musical heritage, that has for a major part of the 20th century, lead the way and the 100 Club was a key part of this. But it now seems that this will also go the same way as the Marquee Club.

I am a soul music collector and DJ and as such I travel the US alot, there the importance of such places has become apparent over the last 20 years and much has been done to save the history and often the buildings as well. Projects like the re-building of Beal St, The Stax studio and the protection of the Motown studio's, Detroit, as a historic site.

Surly it's time we woke up to our great musical heritage and start with the 100 Club as a way of leaving a mark in the sand for future music lovers, be they Jazz, Rock, Soul or Blues lovers.

Here are a few related links

https://www.facebook....160380190641113

Don't know what you can do, but would be interested in your thoughts.

Dave

...Shame you didn't also point out to them that the 100's closure will leave Central London with virtually no decent sized, regular live music venues - the Crosslink rail works at Tottenham Court Road having demolished the Astoria, the Astoria 2 and the Metropolitan (formerly the Last Chance Club) in one go about a year ago.

For live music fans that leaves just the Borderline, with a very narrow booking policy, and the 12 Bar Club, which only holds about the same number of people.

Besides the demise of the Marquee, recent times have seen the metamorphosis of what used to be the UFO Club, at the Warren Street end of Tottenham Court Road, into a Spearmint Rhino, er, 'gentleman's club' and the end of the Dominion as a Hammersmith Odeon-type concert venue.

I find it quite staggering there will soon be absolutely nowhere at the very heart of the England's Capital City to go out and see some live music...

Social source share

I've always wondered why in the middle of Oxford Street that the venue never opened mid day as a cafe to cater for the hoardes of tourists.The place hasn't/doesn't recognise it's own importance and the fact that they could captalise on this.The club is known worldwide but when tourists visit they may not want to visit to see some ropey band in the evening.The Cavern merges both as a venue/cafe/tourist place. I can see some developers buy it and turn it into another rock cafe/sticky fingers type place......they will keep the history/heritage but it will probably be a restaurant.Look at the money involved.it's just not viable as a commercial club with those rents/overheads. You can't even afford to have half empty nights. Big names only and full houses. Even if it does get a reprieve a solid working business plan would have to be put in place with no time for sentiment....people through the door/bar takings.....and yes food/tat merchandise..Unless a rich rock star with money to throw away or some big names/politicians get behind it then it is inevitable.Very sad when you walk into the old Marquee and then a bit further along Tottenham Court Road to see what they have done to the Astoria...........Time Marches On.Right just about to e mail Robert Elms

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

What happened with that promoter that pushed out the 6ts nighter from 100 club out a few years ago?.

I have been working at a famous pop singers house and they said the market for music has really changed over the last few years with nothing happening like it use to, has the demand for like music fallen off, are the bands not looking for small intimate venues or is it only viable to fill the O2 dome with thousands of people to see performing ants of X factor finalists. :thumbsup:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Hi Russ, hope youre fine mate ! Yes, I guess its quite safe to say that for the vast majority of Soulies on the continent who started before the nineties the 100 Club always has been sth very special and one location they always have and will continue to associate with what their first impression of what Northern Soul was all about were...be it the Allnighters, the music, the people, the first attempts to dance on the floor, to buy a record in there, the Kent records or even Adey himself :thumbsup:

Very touching sentimnets mate, well said!:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest woznotwos

Apply to the lottery for funding ...they may aswell spend it on something useful.......or lets wear placards outside the screening of soul boy.....................................................................................ill get mi coat.................................:thumbsup:

Social source share

Comrades we need to forward these addresses on to all your contacts. If you wish to write a letter then go for it, we must all try something even if the writing is on the wall. We've had so many good times at the venue that surely we can at least write a letter to try and save the 100club. There's too much apathy already in this country so come on and get typing. lets not have our musical heritage taking from us without a fight. :thumbsup: The people i have listed below are the dj's with the biggest mouths, well the one's i know anyway, if only i was on the radio these days lol.

Power to the people

Greg

Ps don't reply to me. I'm too busy writing my own letter

chris.moyles@bbc.co.uk.

mayor@london.gov.uk

lamacq.6music@bbc.co.uk

yourlondon@bbc.co.uk

robert.elms@bbc.co.uk

garycrowley.london@bbc.co.uk

Edited by liam2005
Social source share

...Shame you didn't also point out to them that the 100's closure will leave Central London with virtually no decent sized, regular live music venues - the Crosslink rail works at Tottenham Court Road having demolished the Astoria, the Astoria 2 and the Metropolitan (formerly the Last Chance Club) in one go about a year ago.

For live music fans that leaves just the Borderline, with a very narrow booking policy, and the 12 Bar Club, which only holds about the same number of people.

Besides the demise of the Marquee, recent times have seen the metamorphosis of what used to be the UFO Club, at the Warren Street end of Tottenham Court Road, into a Spearmint Rhino, er, 'gentleman's club' and the end of the Dominion as a Hammersmith Odeon-type concert venue.

I find it quite staggering there will soon be absolutely nowhere at the very heart of the England's Capital City to go out and see some live music...

Hi Tony

All good points above, was trying to make my first email short and to the point. Should I get a reply, which I sadly don't expect to, I can also make the above points.

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Been e-mailing people that I think can help in between work today :lol: as we have to try and stop this happening.

I am on a mission!

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

This is more like it. Thank you all for the feedback at least your not slagging people that are trying off.

Personally i think it needs to be on national tv. Christ knows how much the tax payer subsidises The Opera house Covent Garden. I hope some famous musicians get involved. The Stones, The Who all played there even Hendrix.

Social source share

This is more like it. Thank you all for the feedback at least your not slagging people that are trying off.

Personally i think it needs to be on national tv. Christ knows how much the tax payer subsidises The Opera house Covent Garden. I hope some famous musicians get involved. The Stones, The Who all played there even Hendrix.

No ones been slagging anyone off,only you..............just some of us have fought for things before,and lost !!

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

of for gods sake.....

does it matter what rate the punks were or whose spiritual home it is

the fact is that it shouldnt be allowed to close regardless what musical genre you claim to be betrothed to

write to boris, write to your local MP write to anyone that will listen

and if you cant be bothered with that then do nothing and watch it go into the history books with a whimper

the only way the closure will be stopped will be with the blessing of Westminster CC, no amount of griping will change that

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

:thumbsup:

Social source share

If they can pull down the Casino/Clifton hall/Winter gardens,why not this place..............i want another coffee shop/sandwich shop,or tourist tat shop huh.gif move on !!,be sad but not the end of the world come on !!

I started reading this thread and immidiatly thought of all the comments on SS regarding the Casino e.g. 'that was then, this is now' ~ 'MOVE ON' etc. etc, ad infinitum .... sad? Yes, very. However, as Ken points out, not the end of the world ~ perhaps its just time to Move On

Social source share

I started reading this thread and immidiatly thought of all the comments on SS regarding the Casino e.g. 'that was then, this is now' ~ 'MOVE ON' etc. etc, ad infinitum .... sad? Yes, very. However, as Ken points out, not the end of the world ~ perhaps its just time to Move On

The 100 Club spans generations not to mentions numerous music genres and scenes. You can't compare it to the Casino in terms of influence. Not even close.

Social source share

The 100 Club spans generations not to mentions numerous music genres and scenes. You can't compare it to the Casino in terms of influence. Not even close.

How true Mr W,

Wigan Casino, dear oh dear.

As for the 100, a tragedy for music in general in the capitol, the soul scene is made of stronger stuff tho' I feel.

However, I cut my Soul teeth there practically in short trousers so personally I'd be gutted.

We've all managed to have the odd good night out since the Torch, Mecca, Stafford and Wigan bloody Casino closed tho' havent we?! Things change.

Oh well

Jim.

Edited by Jim Elliott
Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

These things happen, sadly, especially in high-rent inner city areas.

But the people, the music and the memories are more important than the actual venue.

Rather than trying to raise ridiculous amounts of money to turn an old venue into a shrine, it would make more sense to find a new venue - and maybe start to make history all over again.

The best post i have seen on this thread.

Yes it's sad to lose anywhere that has nostalgic memories or historical value,

but thats life unfortunatly people.

And you can't expect the owner to keep paying out of his or her own pocket,

just to keep a couple of thousand or so people happy.

I am sure you would not keep a venue going if it was costing you vast amounts of your own money.

Stu.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

The best post i have seen on this thread.

Yes it's sad to lose anywhere that has nostalgic memories or historical value,

but thats life unfortunatly people.

And you can't expect the owner to keep paying out of his or her own pocket,

just to keep a couple of thousand or so people happy.

I am sure you would not keep a venue going if it was costing you vast amounts of your own money.

Stu.

:hatsoff2:

It will be a massive shame if it does close but as some others have said, maybe time to find a new venue and keep the spirit of 6T's alive.:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

https://www.thisislon...-to-100-club.do

Be a disgrace if it does.

Say it aint so Ady. :(

Just sort of stumbled over this thread,hadnt heard about it or heard any rumours at the recent Anniversary either.....Im saddened but cant really say im surprised........Its the way things are isnt it....

The West End rents and business costs must be eye watering,so i agree its just down to greed pure and simple. I think this is one of the worst things about getting older,everything you knew and loved and just sort of took for granted[YES, TOOK FOR GRANTED],changing for the worse or just disappearing altogether. And there`s a feeling of being out of time.

It doesnt have to be this way though does it? Unfortunately,the younger generation dont seem to share the same passion for music that older followers do,well thats how it seems to me anyway. If ever theres a need for an underground musical revolution its now......

Times are tough indeed........

The 100 club has been a legendary part of the music scene ever since i can remember. I know Tony [soulJihad] came in for some stick earlier in the thread but its only because he`s passionate about the place and theres nothing wrong with that. Many Northern fans can be dismissive of other types of music,very unfairly i think.Northern Soul events are only a tiny part of the venue`s long history.

Its been influential in so many different areas.

The powers that be however,really dont understand this,or really give a shit either do they. You know,iv`e spent all my adult life in or around London and you see it everywhere. Look at the farce that is Carnaby St........Plastic or what ? Look at the nightmare of Camden market,a dreaful pastiche of its once former radical identity...... Anyone remember Kensington Market ? The Marquee? The Astoria?Its everywhere you look people....

The minute big business moves in,its only ever gonna end one way,the greedy bastards. Anything that genuinely becomes popular due to counter culture will be swallowed up and killed off by the big business vultures. They buy something out then turn it into something thats so unrepresentative of what it was before,killing the area off in the bargain...The Brick Lane area will be next in their sights if its not already .... Spitalfield market anyone ?

The 100 Club is just the latest in a long line of brilliant places that may fall victim to the greed of big business. I for one hope it doesnt happen,

Yours Sincerely, Ivor

Social source share

The powers that be however,really dont understand this,or really give a shit either do they. You know,iv`e spent all my adult life in or around London and you see it everywhere. Look at the farce that is Carnaby St........Plastic or what ? Look at the nightmare of Camden market,a dreaful pastiche of its once former radical identity...... Anyone remember Kensington Market ? The Marquee? The Astoria?Its everywhere you look people....

The minute big business moves in,its only ever gonna end one way,the greedy bastards. Anything that genuinely becomes popular due to counter culture will be swallowed up and killed off by the big business vultures. They buy something out then turn it into something thats so unrepresentative of what it was before,killing the area off in the bargain...The Brick Lane area will be next in their sights if its not already .... Spitalfield market anyone ?

The 100 Club is just the latest in a long line of brilliant places that may fall victim to the greed of big business. I for one hope it doesnt happen,

Yours Sincerely, Ivor

great post, yourself and tony are 100% correct, remember kensington market?, what about the great gear market kings road,everything that has made london different is slowly being taken away for greed.i could name a 100 venues shops etc etc , there used to be a A-bomb in wardour street now there,s a strip club for rich fat arabs.

Social source share

Comrades we need to forward these addresses on to all your contacts. If you wish to write a letter then go for it, we must all try something even if the writing is on the wall. We've had so many good times at the venue that surely we can at least write a letter to try and save the 100club. There's too much apathy already in this country so come on and get typing. lets not have our musical heritage taking from us without a fight. :( The people i have listed below are the dj's with the biggest mouths, well the one's i know anyway, if only i was on the radio these days lol.

Power to the people

Greg

Ps don't reply to me. I'm too busy writing my own letter

chris.moyles@bbc.co.uk.

mayor@london.gov.uk

lamacq.6music@bbc.co.uk

yourlondon@bbc.co.uk

robert.elms@bbc.co.uk

garycrowley.london@bbc.co.uk

Just sent an e-mail myself to this lot

Mick

Social source share

Hi all,

I frequently use this site but never post anything, but this one has stirred me up to have my say. So here goes (sorry in advance for such a long post)..

This is really saddening and frustrating news on three levels for me:

First, as a regular at 6ts allnighter I'm truly gutted at the news , it's the combination of place and the night that make it so special and no where else is quite the same. There are lots of good Northern nights in London but the 100 is and always has been the centre, for me at least, I'd go as far as to say it's almost hallowed ground. Along with an ever enthusiastic crowd and superb music, its the place itself that helps to make the night so great. All the old photos, big 100 signs behind the stage, the dark dingy feel gives it such an authentic atmosphere to enjoy 60s music in.

Ok, it can be moved and I'm sure Ady will do his best to find a fitting venue, but those us who remember when it moved to London Bridge will know it wasn't the same, the attendance soon fell and it didn't last long before moving back to the 100 club (thankfully!). It's not easy to find suitable venues in London, especially ones that have managers who are willing (or even able due to licensing) to put on allnighters. I do feel sorry for Ady to have to go through that again and wish him the best in his hunt for a suitable alternative (what sh*t news to come back from your holidays to).

Secondly, 6ts aside, for such a legendary and historic venue to die is a tragedy. It is part of our cultural heritage and should be preserved as such, not as a museum but as a living venue with nearly 60 years of roots level music history behind it. The placed oozes with character and music history just as much as anywhere on Beal St or New Orleans.

Lastly, I'm really angry that yet another faceless 'Investment' company can bully (and it is bullying) a small business like this into the dirt without a care or thought for the owner or importance of the place. I feel really sorry for Jeff Horton who in all his statements understandably seems in despair. After running the club through two generations (though lean and good times) to have this taken away from you and also lose your livelihood must be devastating. Let's be clear here, Chris Horton says the club is doing well but 80% of his takings are sucked out on rent and business rates.

Not much has been said of Lazari Investment Limited who increased the rent by 45% two years ago, but here are a few things I've found out, Chris Lazari 'owns Forty-five acres across London, worth £450 million' and 'Lazari still plans to float the company, perhaps in three to five years' time when he hopes its portfolio will have topped £500m.'.

See: https://chrislazari.crazybillionaire.org/chrislazari.php

And he is 'the 125th richest British man in the Sunday Times Rich List 2010'

See: https://www.greekrichlist.com/category/news/page/2/

To increase the rent of any small business by 45% is completely immoral on every level, especially if you are worth half a billion and must know that it will almost certainly drive a family business to close.

I don't think donations are the answer , the club has lost 100K for the past three years, what is needed is Government or private intervention with a take over that allows Chris Horton to run the club with a realistic rent (not to even mention the unbelievable rates!). With enough publicity and high level and grass roots support I think even at this 11th hour it can happen (it has before).

All the best to everybody!

Sean

Social source share

Just sent an e-mail myself to this lot

Mick

When the 6ts niters moved to Jaks under london bridge station for a few months it was not the same, not as many people came and the atmosphere was lost, so it's not as easy as saying "If the 100 club shuts, 6ts niters will just go else where"

Social source share

Oh !! your not doing the 100club or yourself any favours here are you.

I'm not what!!

hahahaha Have you not seen the Life Of Brian

All i said was it was a meal fit for Jehovah,,

Right stop that your only making it worse..

Worse how can i make it worse.. Jehovah Jehovah. :(

Social source share

This is the latest news off the FB save the 100 club page.

Craven Braves Nearly 8000 people. Every last one of us is going to be needed to keep the club going. We are talking to the club regularly, and there will be an announcement that will involve a buy out by the fans to secure the long term future. In the mean time all I can ask is that everyone keeps spreading the word and we will be heard

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!