100 Club To Close By Xmas

These things happen, sadly, especially in high-rent inner city areas.

But the people, the music and the memories are more important than the actual venue.

Rather than trying to raise ridiculous amounts of money to turn an old venue into a shrine, it would make more sense to find a new venue - and maybe start to make history all over again.

Social source share

all good things come to an end, ady not saying much on the closure. i cant see it they just polish the floor and new toilet roll holders, if it is close and ady has something up his sleeve and i'm not talking about his arm, i did the first all nighter at the 100 club look like i will be doing the last, also i hope not, if it is it will be anuva anniversary the floor will be packed, talking about the last week shopping list and etc ady where r u? cheers billy

Social source share

Just how sad! If it really has to close down it will be a very sad day for 99% of us. No way I am afraid this neo liberalist of a landlord will accept only one pound less than what he thinks he will be able to get for this location. No use in donating anything to anyone, it wont help or change the situation at all I am afraid.

But then again change is the only continuity in life. So I am sure the 6ts scene will find a new good home and who knows maybe this change of place will become sth of a re-start. New venue, new faces, (again) better numbers ?

Keep your chin up!

Social source share

Just how sad! If it really has to close down it will be a very sad day for 99% of us. No way I am afraid this neo liberalist of a landlord will accept only one pound less than what he thinks he will be able to get for this location. No use in donating anything to anyone, it wont help or change the situation at all I am afraid.

But then again change is the only continuity in life. So I am sure the 6ts scene will find a new good home and who knows maybe this change of place will become sth of a re-start. New venue, new faces, (again) better numbers ?

Keep your chin up!

Totally agree with this Marc.... if the Landlord doesn't want it then it will go .. no amount of money from us lot will change his mind!! New venue, new era thumbsup.gif

Social source share

.........massively influential, this place has been a beacon of Rare Soul through good times & bad times & my personal spiritual home for N Soul........unfortunately most people wont realise this until its long gone.

Russ

Hi Russ, hope youre fine mate ! Yes, I guess its quite safe to say that for the vast majority of Soulies on the continent who started before the nineties the 100 Club always has been sth very special and one location they always have and will continue to associate with what their first impression of what Northern Soul was all about were...be it the Allnighters, the music, the people, the first attempts to dance on the floor, to buy a record in there, the Kent records or even Adey himself :hatsoff2:

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

What do i know about the soul scene hahahaha I've been going to niters since 1981. Inc Stafford and Bradford thank you very much.

I posted a link if anyone is interested in donating to some 9th rated punks effort in helping to save one of the uk most influential music venues. At least this 9th rated punks trying to do something instead of sitting on the internet criticizing those trying to do something..

Which brings me to why i hate the soul scene.. Love the music but is it any wonder i can't stick the scene.

It's not just about the 6ts is it. It's about the whole history and as for Wigan i can't comment i never went. The 100 club is not only my Wigan but my Ronnie Scotts, Marquee and Cavern rolled into one.

Help if you want but don't slag those off are trying if you don't.

Social source share

He said it again!!! :hatsoff2:

Blasphemer!

Stwike him centuwian vewy wuffly ...

I've only one word to say to you... Possibly the most blasphemous word known to man (Well Nerthern man)

Carstairs!

Social source share

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I know I am not a regular and have only been a couple of times in the last few years, but that is for personal an financial reasons, but it is important that we fight for this. Not only is it important to the soul crowd but it is the spiritual home of the Jazz heads and those of us who were punks in the 70s.

I am doing everything I can to contact some "people" from the punk and very early days to get them to join in the fight. What would be the reaction if this was to happen to Ronnie Scotts......................national outcry!!!!!! and the 100 club is important to the music history of not only London but the UK.

So lets keep fighting, canvass any connections you have ................................OK who's got Jools Holland's numbersad.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

But not enough to help do anything about it.

It's not just about the 6t's is it.

Wow, just caught up with this thread and it's moved on a bit.

I take it the above is a response to my first post. Well, yes it is just about the 6t's - for me anyway. It may be an iconic venue but there is little that would entice me there apart from the niters.

You however see it differently. If you have 2 bands that perform there I suppose you have a vested interest..........................and you gave £20. Very commendable, but in times when I've been able I've handed more than that to strangers on the street who are down on their luck. Currently, for reasons I won't go into, I've had no income whatsoever for nearly 2 months and even though it's a relatively near venue for me I couldn't afford to attend the last anniversary. So, don't criticise me pal. Look to others who have a vested interest as I'm sure some of them are loaded.

- Kev.

Social source share

daft question but has anyone written to the culture secretary? Maybe worth an try, local MP too. All can be done via their websites.

That's the whole idea. To get next years rent paid for then take steps to do this sort of thing. To get some sort of Heritage fund sorted or preservation order. But that will take time.

Social source share

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I know I am not a regular and have only been a couple of times in the last few years, but that is for personal an financial reasons, but it is important that we fight for this. Not only is it important to the soul crowd but it is the spiritual home of the Jazz heads and those of us who were punks in the 70s.

I am doing everything I can to contact some "people" from the punk and very early days to get them to join in the fight. What would be the reaction if this was to happen to Ronnie Scotts......................national outcry!!!!!! and the 100 club is important to the music history of not only London but the UK.

So lets keep fighting, canvass any connections you have ................................OK who's got Jools Holland's numbersad.gif

QoFxx

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

all good things come to an end, ady not saying much on the closure...ady where r u?

He's not available for comment. At least, not at the moment he's not, he's on his hols....

Social source share

OK that's Boris and Siouxsie emailed, many more in my little black bookthumbsup.gif

Would this be allowed to happen if it was Ronnie Scotts..................errrrrrrrrrrr I think notno.gif

QoFxx

That's great. I'm sure there can be some sort of benefit gigs to be had. Most groups started down there, from The Rolling Stones to The Sex Pistols. I can't get on FB at the moment to see if there's any news.

I

Social source share

I've only one word to say to you... Possibly the most blasphemous word known to man (Well Nerthern man)

Carstairs!

choofin love the carstairs me, you're thinking of pete-s, he's a whole other opinionated gobshide*

This off topic fancy regarding the carstairs matters not a fig in the face of the 100 club closure though souljihad. Right now chris harvey's started his own crusade on fb.

oi croasdell, out from under that eiderdown!

* we love him anyway

Social source share

choofin love the carstairs me, you're thinking of pete-s, he's a whole other opinionated gobshide*

This off topic fancy regarding the carstairs matters not a fig in the face of the 100 club closure though souljihad. Right now chris harvey's started his own crusade on fb.

oi croasdell, out from under that eiderdown!

* we love him anyway

Yeah i'm on the FB crusade that's what i cross posted on here from. Just can't get on FB at the moment as it's down

Social source share

What do i know about the soul scene hahahaha I've been going to niters since 1981. Inc Stafford and Bradford thank you very much.

I posted a link if anyone is interested in donating to some 9th rated punks effort in helping to save one of the uk most influential music venues. At least this 9th rated punks trying to do something instead of sitting on the internet criticizing those trying to do something..

Which brings me to why i hate the soul scene.. Love the music but is it any wonder i can't stick the scene.

It's not just about the 6ts is it. It's about the whole history and as for Wigan i can't comment i never went. The 100 club is not only my Wigan but my Ronnie Scotts, Marquee and Cavern rolled into one.

Help if you want but don't slag those off are trying if you don't.

Sad news indeed.Not sure what can be done to resolve this.

Re: above post Souljihad,you've stated a couple of times you hate the soul scene,yet you start a thread on here!.Maybe you only hate PART of the soul scene?.Those who disagree with you.!

Good luck with keeping open the most influential venue in the UK.:thumbsup:

Social source share

That's great. I'm sure there can be some sort of benefit gigs to be had. Most groups started down there, from The Rolling Stones to The Sex Pistols. I can't get on FB at the moment to see if there's any news.

I

FB is having probs. I am afraid it is more than benefit gigs, although they would help to fight this and raise awareness but we need to join forces with the Jazz heads and punks and past punks (like Helen and I). Writing to every one I know and don't know, just penning to Mark Lamar, and Mike Peter's of the Alarm (who worked the door for Ady in the 80s) asking them to spread the word amongst the people that matter . We need a big names on board like Jools or Wossy. As it is predominantly a WCC issue my next list are the politicos.

I repeat myself........................as usual, would this be allowed to happen to Ronnie Scotts. The Cavern, although important in its day, pales into insignificance compared to the 100 club as an across the board music venue.

QoFxx

Social source share

FB is having probs. I am afraid it is more than benefit gigs, although they would help to fight this and raise awareness but we need to join forces with the Jazz heads and punks and past punks (like Helen and I). Writing to every one I know and don't know, just penning to Mark Lamar, and Mike Peter's of the Alarm (who worked the door for Ady in the 80s) asking them to spread the word amongst the people that matter . We need a big names on board like Jools or Wossy. As it is predominantly a WCC issue my next list are the politicos.

I repeat myself........................as usual, would this be allowed to happen to Ronnie Scotts. The Cavern, although important in its day, pales into insignificance compared to the 100 club as an across the board music venue.

QoFxx

Totally agree with you on everything there. People like Weller need to get involved in this. We lost the Marquee we can't lose the 100 club to

Social source share

Sad news indeed.Not sure what can be done to resolve this.

Re: above post Souljihad,you've stated a couple of times you hate the soul scene,yet you start a thread on here!.Maybe you only hate PART of the soul scene?.Those who disagree with you.!

Good luck with keeping open the most influential venue in the UK.:thumbsup:

yeah part.. The part that does nothing but sit on a forum and fckn winge, moan and criticize.

Social source share

Wow, just caught up with this thread and it's moved on a bit.

I take it the above is a response to my first post. Well, yes it is just about the 6t's - for me anyway. It may be an iconic venue but there is little that would entice me there apart from the niters.

You however see it differently. If you have 2 bands that perform there I suppose you have a vested interest..........................and you gave £20. Very commendable, but in times when I've been able I've handed more than that to strangers on the street who are down on their luck. Currently, for reasons I won't go into, I've had no income whatsoever for nearly 2 months and even though it's a relatively near venue for me I couldn't afford to attend the last anniversary. So, don't criticise me pal. Look to others who have a vested interest as I'm sure some of them are loaded.

- Kev.

Hang on Pal.

If your not going to be helpful why moan about some one trying to be.

It's important because bands have to play music music that's not on flippin X Factor.

It's important because people should experience live music.

It's important because that's how music changes

It's important because it's a social experience.

So don't criticize those trying to stop it.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Why ? more covers of beatles records by soul artists the all the punk bands put together.

Ken i like you mate but your just being an arse.

I could explain the link between Disco and punk but i i'm not going to bore you.

Social source share

Ken i like you mate but your just being an arse.

I could explain the link between Disco and punk but i i'm not going to bore you.

What because i like the Beatles laugh.gif an i'm not a big fan of disco but got few punk records.

Social source share

What because i like the Beatles :laugh: an i'm not a big fan of disco but got few punk records.

Punk never started in the UK till 76 some how would a 60's soul group cover punk records..

Social source share

Punk never started in the UK till 76 some how would a 60's soul group cover punk records..

Lets get it back on topic eh if you got a petition to sign i'll sign it i dont want the place to shut but thats it got fukc all money to put in thats about it,oh i'm not just into 6ts soul i like soul from any era never mentioned 6ts.

Social source share

Lets get it back on topic eh if you got a petition to sign i'll sign it i dont want the place to shut but thats it got fukc all money to put in thats about it,oh i'm not just into 6ts soul i like soul from any era never mentioned 6ts.

Not even a pound!

A whole pound

A quid

It's right what they say about Northerners :thumbsup:

Social source share

To be fair Ken, I went more when I was a punk than I do now but that is down to the reasons I explained in my earlier post.......lov ya x

Social source share

Not even a pound!

A whole pound

A quid

It's right what they say about Northerners :thumbsup:

I have £2.10p to me name,would you give up half everything you got laugh.gif though i'm sure there be a collection at the next 6ts i might stick a quid in it biggrin.gif only if you say the Beatles are brilliant whistling.gif..........

Social source share

Hang on Pal.

If your not going to be helpful why moan about some one trying to be.

It's important because bands have to play music music that's not on flippin X Factor.

It's important because people should experience live music.

It's important because that's how music changes

It's important because it's a social experience.

So don't criticize those trying to stop it.

Erm.....I sensed criticism in your reply to my post.............."But not enough to do anything about it."

So I'm not criticising you for trying to prevent the 100 club from being closed down - I wish you well, I really do.

I'm criticising you for coming across as an arrogant @rse.

Nothing more to say or it'll drift further off what is an important topic.

Social source share

Erm.....I sensed criticism in your reply to my post.............."But not enough to do anything about it."

So I'm not criticising you for trying to prevent the 100 club from being closed down - I wish you well, I really do.

I'm criticising you for coming across as an arrogant @rse.

Nothing more to say or it'll drift further off what is an important topic.

I'm coming across as an arrogant arse cos i'm sick of ridiculous comments. If people aren't interested in helping then don't no ones holding a gun to their head but there's no need to have a dig about people that are. Yours was just one of posts among many at the time i wasn't singling you out.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

100 Club Statement

As you will probably now know, the Evening Standard ran a story on the 22nd September regarding the possible closure of the 100 Club in December.

I can confirm that, sadly, this is true.

The writing has been on the wall, so to speak, since the rent increased by 45% in 2007. It was an increase that was unsustainable. Just as pertinent have been the increase year on year in Business Rates that have now reached a ludicrous level of £1000 per week, and now the Government are increasing VAT to 20% from January. There have been over a dozen increases in duty on alcohol in the last two years or so as well, meaning that my supplier's bills have increased some 40% in that period.

The bottom line is that the club has a liability to it's landlords and HMRC that suck 80% of it's income out of the business. How can that possibly be right? The business rates, for instance, don't include refuse collection.

In fairness to the 100 Club's landlords they have made two concessions on the rent in the past, one for signing a new lease last year, but have stressed that this is something that will not happen again. Besides, when you have a law regarding commercial rents that stipulate they can only go up, what is to prevent another increase happening again in 2012 when the next Rent Review is due?? Is the increase going to be 45% for the third review in a row? These increases do not in any way reflect the social or economic climate at any given time. It is purely a way of legally fleecing small, and in all probability, medium sized businesses, certainly in Central London. It is a practice that needs to be stopped......and now.

In my opinion HMRC are using the same Corporate model in raising and accruing Tax.

As a result the 100 Club, now the oldest live music and entertainment venue on the Planet, will shut it's doors for the final time at the end of the year unless a sponsor, funding or a buyer can be found, after accruing losses of almost £100,000 a year for the last three years.

Finally, I'd like to say that all of us at the 100 Club have been extremely touched and humbled at the strength of feeling shown by so many regarding all this. Thank you for the emails and text messages of support. I'd like to personally add a special word of thanks to the people at Craven Braves for the Facebook Group they've

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!