2011-04-09: Rugby Soul Club All-Niter Sat 9Th April 2011

• Replies 135
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

WELL THE PLAN WAS THAT I WAS GETTIN A LIFT SO AS I COULD AV A DRINK FOR ME BUFFDAY BUT ITS ALL GONE PEAR SHAPED AND I WILL BE ALL ON MY OWN NOW :lol: SEE YA ALL LATER

Awww, I feel guilty as hell now :yes: If it's any consolation my bum really hurt that night following a 10 mile bike ride - didn't get home til 9pm! :hatsoff2:

Hope I didn't ruin your Birthday plans :lol:

HAVE A TOP NITE ONE N ALL SORRY COULDN'T MAKE THIS ONE :yes:

C&CX

Chris, You were missed by the Captain's table society of the Taste of Honey Rugby, Belfast, Tadcaster, Marrs and York branches. What you missed was The young guns mixing it with top tunes in the freestyle room, mixed tempo each drifting into and out of different styles of music but keeping their own individual style. A few tunes that stuck in my mind from boys to men room and knocking Mick from the zimmer "Message to the Ghetto" Otis Jackson "Breakaway" Millie Jacksons "Shaky Jake" Stranger Brothers. It was like a breath of fresh air, well done to all in the small room and Matt in his choice of DJs. :yes: Love to see your play lists

In the main room I only saw two of the sets and they were just as good, Killa and Dave Rimmer, sorry I missed the others I hope you don't hold it against me, :lol: but I think I witnessed a bit history.

To sum up the night in brief, I think our scene is safe in there hands, Well done to Sian and Dean for your hosting the friendly nighter, and their none of this crap about the DJ's loosing the floor :hatsoff2: , as a lot of us can't find it and when we do the bloody tunes finished, anyway and prefer to listen these days. :yes:

I had a great night thanks to Dale and the company of Shirley & Colin Wood :lol:

Edited by Illya

Big thank you, as ever, for the fantastic mix of tunes played by all the DJs, I do hope we get a few posted up on the playlists thread...:yes:

Another thanks to our hard core of punters and those who chose to try us for the first time.

With a second Torch re-union having been announced recently to co-incide with our date, yes, numbers were down but then we knew they would be...it's a free world and you make your choices...:yes:

That aside, we were blown away by the vibe in the Freestyle Room, them young-uns sure have some energy, passion and a great ear for tunes...thanks Matt for the idea...:lol:

I think it's the first time I've seen patched where there seemed to be more people in the little room than the big one...more room for me then...:yes:

I always love early doors at a venue, you can usually get a bit of room on the floor and get warmed up and settled in for the evening (Burnley being the exception...no room from the minute it opened...:lol:)

I left Ken & Lianne on the door to make sure the dance floor was working...:hatsoff2: and couldn't get off...Ledders, you played a mighty fine set...:yes:

Then back to work, altho not much chance to get back on the floor, sitting working to the quality of tunes I heard, ain't to bad IMO.

Our next date is 18th June only one other all-niter but that could change between now and then...:yes:

Edited by Rugby Soul Club

A 520 mile round trip from Carlisle to Rugby via Stockport and Wolverhampton.... and boy it was worth it...'oh yes', spent most of my time in the lickle room and heard fantastic set's by all the young dj's and one old'n, sorry AdamT :lol:, If anyone who hasn't heard these guy's play out, put it in your must hear list, they have so much passion and energy for the soul music that they play.

A big thank you must go to Adam Smart who got all these guys together :lol:.............please do it again mate.

I love rugby, it must be one of the friendliest nighters around with a superb collection of dj's in both rooms :yes:.

A perfect end to the night was coffee at Sian's, bollox talking with great company, only problem is once your in there you don't want to leave.

A big hats off to you Sian/Dean/Ken/Lianne and everyone else who help to make it a great night :hatsoff2:.

Willie

Edited by Soulgrit
Guest SteveC

Just to clarify. Small/Smart/Freestyle room was cookin' the times I was in there. In particular young Rich Evans from Leeds. He was already playing a blinder and then he sticks on Clark Bridges (Foxy) and Sonny Harris (Vibration) which made both Gilly and myself shoot over to the decks. Top sets from all the young upstarts in there including my old/young mate and all round wonderful person, Paul Barker.

Top night as per usual. Thanks Sian and Dean.

Also like to thank Rob & Linda for their hospitality as always and my 10/10 convoy buddy Dave for a smooth journey back to South Coast Riviera!!!

Edited by SteveC

Must start off by saying a HUGE thank you to Matt Smart for organising the freestyle room and inviting me and the other lads down to play. We were all really up for it once it had been confirmed and I think Matt, Sian and crew deserves a lot of credit for making this happen. Seems to have worked well judging by the comments on the night and on here.

Thanks also to everyone who popped into that room for a listen and a dance. It was bouncing all night, and when you look at the line up in the other room I wouldn't have blamed people for staying in the main hall.

I thought all the dj's were fantastic.

I came down with four other 'young' folk, all love their soul music and all had an absolutely brilliant time. Not many of them are niter regulars and it was my missus' first niter but they were blown away by how friendly Rugby was. They loved the freestyle room but then again, they know the stuff we play. One thing they did mention to me was they absolutely loved the main room too and the music played in there. I managed to catch a bit of main room too and would say hats off to the guys who played - you kept the floor full even with numbers thin on the ground.

Can't praise Rugby enough as an event. Some of the best people, a great two roomed event with an open minded music policy in both rooms. Great buzz in the sales room and throughout. Even though numbers were down they were still good and generated a great atmosphere. Hopefully the next will be a packer and certain promoters won't be cashing in on old club reunions!

Thanks again to all who made our night a fantastic one.

Definitely be back here again soon.

Azza

Top night. Really enjoyed playing records in the freestyle room. I did initially wonder how well we'd go down, but everyone seemed to enjoy it and a few were asking about tunes and that.

I thought the music was of a very high standard all night and it was a real pleasure to be given the chance to play the songs I love. Big thanks to Matt for asking us down.

Thanks to all involved for a top night and great company. Special thanks to Willie for the lift there and back.

Paul

Anybody like my set ? laugh.gif

Me head is mush at the min, but great to see some of me old mate's throwing shapes at me set, "Robo" you looked ace such enthusiasm.

Me play list is in play list section for those intrestesd.biggrin.gif

That's odd. I thought the Annual Torch reunion allnighter would only be on once a year. Unless I don't understand the meaning of the word Annual !

HI DAVE,

I THINK THE MEANING OF THE WORD ANNUAL MEANS ONCE A YEAR ALTHOUGH THE PROMOTER OF THAT EVENT PROBABLY THINKS IT MEANS ANYTIME IN THE YEAR ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS DESIGNED TO CLASH WITH OTHER EVENTS ON THE SAME NIGHT.

ON THAT SUBJECT DO YOU KNOW THE MEANING OF THE WORD ANAL ?????:thumbsup::yes:

ROY

think someones got their lines crossed here

the allniter just gone at stoke was run by chris burton and i dont think has anything to do the with torch reunion all dayers that have taken place for last 2 years ..

its a shame the events clashed especially when some weeks theres nothing on

as long as everyone enjoyed themselves..

Edited by wiganer1
Guest Mrs Simsy

Well work today was a challenge to say the least.:thumbsup:

I had a great time, after what i heard in the freestyle room i'll be making a visit to Beat Boutique!:ohmy:

Thought the main room was top too. Enjoyed all the spots although Bob Hinsley was the man who made me dance most (Ken-i enjoyed your spot too!:rolleyes:)

Numbers were down but then the atmosphere wasn't affected imo. Talked to loads of people (about rubbish mainly :yes:) had a good dance and left with tired legs.:rolleyes:

See you in June. Some pics in the gallery.wink.gif

Big thank you, as ever, for the fantastic mix of tunes played by all the DJs, I do hope we get a few posted up on the playlists thread...:ohmy:

Another thanks to our hard core of punters and those who chose to try us for the first time.

With a second Torch re-union having been announced recently to co-incide with our date, yes, numbers were down but then we knew they would be...it's a free world and you make your choices...wink.gif

That aside, we were blown away by the vibe in the Freestyle Room, them young-uns sure have some energy, passion and a great ear for tunes...thanks Matt for the idea...thumbup.gif

I think it's the first time I've seen patched where there seemed to be more people in the little room than the big one...more room for me then...:rolleyes:

I always love early doors at a venue, you can usually get a bit of room on the floor and get warmed up and settled in for the evening (Burnley being the exception...no room from the minute it opened...:yes:)

I left Ken & Lianne on the door to make sure the dance floor was working...:thumbsup: and couldn't get off...Ledders, you played a mighty fine set...:rolleyes:

Then back to work, altho not much chance to get back on the floor, sitting working to the quality of tunes I heard, ain't to bad IMO.

Our next date is 18th June only one other all-niter at that could change between now and then...:rolleyes:

Sian,

Many thanks for the invitation to spin some tunes at The Benn Hall - We had a really good night and look forward to our next visit on June 18th. Will post up some of my plays in the next day or so.

All the best

Dave

Top night of fun & frolics at Rugby as usual. I won't bother mentioning who my favourite DJ was for fear of being repetitive, but his name begins with A and ends with M :thumbsup:

Oh and I won the prize for having the best shoes of the night.

A few regulars did go to the other niter on that night, but said they wished they hadn't because it was full of ugly old pissheads. Now that's unfair, I said, some of them aren't that old :yes:

top night, cheers to matt smart and sian and others who invited us to play

spent most of my time in free style room, enjoyed much of what was played in there, right up my street, did venture in main room a bit - i like the way you can just walk straight through and vice versa .cheers to azza for playing willie tee - first tast of hurt! loved it!

also special thanks to willie who gave us a lift there and back . top bloke. thanks mate.

Edited by waterfall_manc
Guest RichEvans

Just about recovering from a cracking night at Rugby, brain nearly functioning thumbsup.gif

Great music all round in the freestyle room.......everyone played a blinder and brought something different to the table, I did particularly enjoy Azza's short spot of latin yes.gif Ray Rodriguez..... right tune! Can't wait to have Mr Topping spin a few up in Leeds at Empty Bottles aswell, outdid high expectations thumbsup.gif Maxwell and Paul's spots flowed great one after the other, with the more funky stuff, which as ever had me running back and forth from the dance floor to the decks. What a sigh of relief it was to hear Matt banging some quality uptempo tunes straight from the off aswell, nice one!

Didn't spend much time in the main room but every time I passed through absolute class tunes were being spun and what a lovely dance floor.

One of the most enjoyable sets I have ever played and one of the friendliest venues I have attended, met some really nice folk for the first time, too many to mention smile.gif

Many thanks to Matt Smart and everyone involved in making the nighter what it is, will be back very soon, and many thanks to the people who passed on nice words for the tunes I spun, massively appreciated yes.gif

Oh, and sorry to Maxwell for having to use the sweat dripping headphones after my set laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Catch you all soon,

Richhatsoff2.gif

Edited by RichEvans

Again, Rugby delivered for me. Had a really great night. It was a job to know which room to go into sometimes........ Top night Sian, Dean and Co.

Charlie Mc

Thanks for the pm Willie really useful. Started looking for it now. (No luck so far).

Guest kevnewry

As usual had a brilliant time, I dont think there are many 'niters' where you ask one of the resident DJ's at 5.00pm before the night begins. does he have a certain record. and he says he does'nt................... But by the time he's doing his spot, he's bought it ,and then plays it for you!!!!................. Rugby in a nutshell.................. Thank You Mr Rimmerhatsoff2.gif

Also thanks to Nurse Gladys for the professional foot massage wink.giflaugh.gif................ Only at Rugby!!

As always a massive Thanks to Dean and SHAN!!wink.gif) God bless you both and see ya in June thumbsup.gif

Guest mattRSC

Thanks for the comments everybody. :lol:

Thanks lads for playing, your passion and variation of soulful sounds with rolling half an hour spots really did work a treat. :hatsoff2:

Dean and Sian thanks for letting me choose some guests made a nice change to give the free style room a go :lol:

I'll post a play list up soon.

Roll on June :lol:

Adam Smart :lol:

thanks for another instalment of Ruggers, as we was a tad late, never really went far from record bar, to busy gassing as usual :D

but wot happened to the bra wire, where did it end up :thumbsup:

After you presented it to Rich you mean. Poor lad went all pink and shy ..... I ll check his pockets for it later!

What were you doing to cause it to pop out?????????????????

xxxxxxxxxxx

This needs to be said The "Other" nighter was run by Chris Burton ..... now when was the last time Chris Burton put an event on? Think on folks ? Its got to be twelve years ? Surley he is entitled to a have a slice of the cake having done so much for the "Scene " I very much doubt he had any intention of looking who else was putting something on that night as we are talking a major promoter of the 60's 70's that basically sourced a date for a very special venue when it was available and suited him.

Now I didn't go to any nighter on that night because I was doing other things in another country however I really must make a point , two nighters on the same night delivered two very different nights , one being Torch sounds the other being rare sounds.

So in my estimation how can anyone think that the Torch nighter pinched some of the RBS nighter crowd is beyond me because you have two very different types of soul activists here?

It really does bug me when unnecessary Bolotics come into play I just felt something needed to be said to put some balance into these comments.

All in all a good night at Rugby as usual. Flitted between the main room and the freestyle room early on. Music was good quality in both just suited me a tad better in the freestyle room I guess.

Eventually was driven into the record bar as there didn't seem to be any place to hide from the camera with the strongest flash known to man. Close your eyes and put your hand over em and it still was uncomfrotable. It was like being on bikini atol in the 50's except the flashes were more frequent and brighter.

Good to catch up with Colin and Shirley, Dave Rivers, Mr Rimmer, Woody and Lou and of course Ted did spot Mike Coghlan but didn't get a chance to speak really. Sian was her usual bubbly self. 12 inch Willie was doing well after his marathon road trip too.

Sunday was my No.2 daughters birthday so we left around 4:30 but well worth the trip.

All in all a good night at Rugby as usual. Flitted between the main room and the freestyle room early on. Music was good quality in both just suited me a tad better in the freestyle room I guess.

Eventually was driven into the record bar as there didn't seem to be any place to hide from the camera with the strongest flash known to man. Close your eyes and put your hand over em and it still was uncomfrotable. It was like being on bikini atol in the 50's except the flashes were more frequent and brighter.

Good to catch up with Colin and Shirley, Dave Rivers, Mr Rimmer, Woody and Lou and of course Ted did spot Mike Coghlan but didn't get a chance to speak really. Sian was her usual bubbly self. 12 inch Willie was doing well after his marathon road trip too.

Sunday was my No.2 daughters birthday so we left around 4:30 but well worth the trip.

I had a word with the photographer & the bruising should heal by June...:yes:

I blame my excitement on the Happy Shopper pop!!! No one can handle that many e-numbers...:elvis:

Good to see you both & msg to Margaret, I haven't forgotten & will look into it...:D

ref posts about other events, clashes etc etc

ask all to keep the discussion to the actual individual event

if people do wish to talk about more general things be it clashes, promoters and so on then start up a new thread in aats

any further discussion posted on other events will lead to this thread being temp closed while remove all such posts

thanks

mike

This needs to be said The "Other" nighter was run by Chris Burton ..... now when was the last time Chris Burton put an event on? Think on folks ? Its got to be twelve years ? Surley he is entitled to a have a slice of the cake having done so much for the "Scene " I very much doubt he had any intention of looking who else was putting something on that night as we are talking a major promoter of the 60's 70's that basically sourced a date for a very special venue when it was available and suited him.

Now I didn't go to any nighter on that night because I was doing other things in another country however I really must make a point , two nighters on the same night delivered two very different nights , one being Torch sounds the other being rare sounds.

So in my estimation how can anyone think that the Torch nighter pinched some of the RBS nighter crowd is beyond me because you have two very different types of soul activists here?

It really does bug me when unnecessary Bolotics come into play I just felt something needed to be said to put some balance into these comments.

I did want this post removed but as it cannot be, it is only polite that I answer...:g:

A little OTT on the reaction I thought but a few pms later & hopefully the mix up is sorted.

My reason for saying some RSC peeps had gone to the other niter was because some of our regulars had said they'd bought tickets before they were aware of the date clash.

No bolotics or malic intended and if I hadn't been at ours, I may have been at that one...:lol: