Burscough British Legion

Bridgey

Massive Thank You to Tony & Lisa for keeping this "Brilliant Venue" going strong. Got there just before 8pm (didn't want to miss a choon) and we are so glad we did. The music was straight out of the Top Drawer from all the DJ's. Another Awesome Night at the Legion, looking forward already to 30th October.

Here's my playlist in alphabetical order:

9.30pm - 10pm

11.30pm - Midnight

Arabians - You Upset Me Baby (Le-Mans/Demo)

Arthur Alexander - Keep Her Guessin' (Dot)

Bobby Day - Pretty Little Girl Next Door (RCA Victor)

Bobby John - Trouble In Mind (Imperial/Demo)

Bobby Patterson - I'm In Love With You (Jetstar)

Bobby Williams - Baby I Need You Love (Sure-Shot)

Billy Storm - Educated Fool (Infinity)

Bud Harper - Let Me Love You (Peacock)

Carolyn Cooke - I Don't Mind (RCA Victor/Demo)

Eddie Wilson - Toast To The Lady (Tollie/Demo)

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You (Mandingo)

Gale Garnett - I'll Cry Alone (RCA Victor/Demo)

Gene Woodbury - That's Not Half Bad (Del-Val)

J. J. Daniels - Mr. Lonesome (Sure-Shot/Demo)

Joe Valentine - I Lost The Only Love I Had (Val)

Joey Kingfish - I Won't Hurt You Anymore (Thelma)

Johnnie Taylor - Rome (Wasn't Built In A Day) (SAR)

Johnny Honeycutt - I'm Coming Over (Triode)

Kenny Gamble - The Jokes On You (Arctic/Demo)

Minnie Jones & The Minuettes - Shadow Of A Memory (Sugar)

Paul Thompsom - Special Kind Of Woman (Volt)

Stanley Mitchell - Quit Twistin' My Arm (Dynamo/Demo)

Survivors - Good Baby (Valli)

Tommy Ridgley - In The Same Old Way (Ronn)

Edited by Bridgey
  • Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Massive Thank You to Tony & Lisa for keeping this "Brilliant Venue" going strong. Got there just before 8pm (didn't want to miss a choon) and we are so glad we did. The music was straight out of the Top Drawer from all the DJ's. Another Awesome Night at the Legion, looking forward already to 30th October.

Here's my playlist in alphabetical order:

9.30pm - 10pm

11.30pm - Midnight

Arabians - You Upset Me Baby (Le-Mans/Demo)

Arthur Alexander - Keep Her Guessin' (Dot)

Bobby Day - Pretty Little Girl Next Door (RCA Victor)

Bobby John - Trouble In Mind (Imperial/Demo)

Bobby Patterson - I'm In Love With You (Jetstar)

Bobby Williams - Baby I Need You Love (Sure-Shot)

Billy Storm - Educated Fool (Infinity)

Bud Harper - Let Me Love You (Peacock)

Carolyn Cooke - I Don't Mind (RCA Victor/Demo)

Eddie Wilson - Toast To The Lady (Tollie/Demo)

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You (Mandingo)

Gale Garnett - I'll Cry Alone (RCA Victor/Demo)

Gene Woodbury - That's Not Half Bad (Del-Val)

J. J. Daniels - Mr. Lonesome (Sure-Shot/Demo)

Joe Valentine - I Lost The Only Love I Had (Val)

Joey Kingfish - I Won't Hurt You Anymore (Thelma)

Johnnie Taylor - Rome (Wasn't Built In A Day) (SAR)

Johnny Honeycutt - I'm Coming Over (Triode)

Kenny Gamble - The Jokes On You (Arctic/Demo)

Minnie Jones & The Minuettes - Shadow Of A Memory (Sugar)

Paul Thompsom - Special Kind Of Woman (Volt)

Stanley Mitchell - Quit Twistin' My Arm (Dynamo/Demo)

Survivors - Good Baby (Valli)

Tommy Ridgley - In The Same Old Way (Ronn)

Great to meet you Bridgey! See you Oct mate

I've tagged a post onto the end of the events talkj thread perhaps mods could join em up?

atb

Phil

Great to meet you Bridgey! See you Oct mate

I've tagged a post onto the end of the events talkj thread perhaps mods could join em up?

atb

Phil

Great to meet you too Phil. I have coiped and paste your post below, just hope it works when I press the Add Reply button???

Post below is from Phil:

Assume mods will move to lookbacks in due course. Sunday morning, can't sleep, bored etc so excuse this if it turns into an incoherent, rambling load of balls .

Despite the obvious big pulls of the Skeg weekender and Radcliffe nighter numbers weren't too bad at all at T'Legion and, more importantly, those that did go along seemed (to me anyway) to be well up for a night of anything goes quality soul.

Always a bit disconcerting when the floor is empty and your playing records to it - although I've grown quite used to it over the years- but then when you loook around you see all the heads nodding and toes tapping away and are reassured. A bit like that is Burscough but certainly none the worse for it and actually quite refreshing. Folk know what they're getting, by and large, and choose to dance or not; no dramas either way. Nice to relax and just play stuff without constantly chasing the floor which can sometimes end-up in resort to lowest common denominator sounds. Not ere.

A good number of the usual suspects in attendance and always great to catch up with mates like Jimmy, Mr and Mrs W, Les and Mrs H, Paul, Col Murph, Jacko, Neil et al. (Missed Tony, Joan and Ian of course who were on nighter duties but next time for sure).

Anyway, to the chase ... ... was totally and utterly knackd following a nighter on Friday but really enjoyed it as I invariably do. I suspect that puddings can sometimes get over-egged in 'lookbacks' but honestly, overall, I think the tunes played over the course of the whole night were as good as you'll hear at any soul nite in a small West Lancashire citadel:lol:

Nah, it was miles better than that and all the DJs contributed equally I think as everyone added a bit of something different to the mix and the end result was spot-on IMHO: Clarence Reid, Johnny Honeycut, Winfield Parker, Arthur Alexander, Cash McCall etc etc:

Big Jimmy - good ear bud :yes: Caviar tastes like sh*t Jim; they don't have to be expensive mate;

Adam - passionate, up-for-it and progressive as ever and, more importantly, a top lad;

Bridgey - great to meet you pal; lovely fella and a nice cross-section of tasty plays emerged from that box all night.(Even put the pressure on by getting em up you bugger; that's the last time I'm following you :yes: )

Not forgetting mein host and I thought Brookesy's selections at the end of the night were magic: William Hunt, Bobbie Smith, Visitors etc ... :huh:

Full credit then to Mr and Mrs B! Its obviously a major commitment and not all plain sailing running any event yet they've established a genuinely forward-thinking night in a great venue, where folk can play what they like and punters can soak it up as they see fit. Perfect!

Its a competetive old market at the mo as we all know and while the big venues do a major and in various senses quite different job, as they always have of course, there's absolutely no doubting the fact that the scene would be a whole lot poorer without nights like Burscough and the punters who continue to support it.

Thanks again for asking me to play some records and roll on the next one. Playlists posted as requested Tony; it's in the, erm, playlist bit :lol:

atb

Phil

ps. Adam - don't tell anyone :no: Attractive trades always a possibility :ohmy:

pps. Jimmy (minus sat nav) - just stay where you are, lock the doors and I'll come and get yer :)

Thanks for starting the thread Bridgey, glad you enjoyed the night.

Numbers down a bit from usual but we were expecting that due to a busy schedule over the weekend. That didn't distract from the top notch music though! What a night of superb sounds from Jimmy, Adam, Bridgey and Phil----thanks a lot chaps, what a great bunch you all are!

Nice to meet Adam who travelled all the way from Coventry to be with us, two superb half hour spots from you---thanks mate hope the long journey was worthwhile for you and that you had a good night. :ohmy:

Big Jimmy, again great stuff and as Phil said a top selection of sounds from you---thanks for that Jimmy and we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. :)

Bridgey travelled over the Pennines once again to be at the Legion----you're getting to be quite a regular at Burscough mate! Again, superb playlists from you and always a pleasure to welcome you to the Legion, top bloke and nice to see the lovely Linda once again too! :yes:

What can you say about Phil------what a great fella and always up for a laugh, records weren't too bad either! :yes: Cheers Phil you are a gentleman and a scallop, always welcome at the Legion anytime matey----thanks for adding so much to a great night! :huh:

And we'd like to say a big thanks to everyone who made it over to the Legion last night---we do appreciate your support especially when there are so many events to choose from every weekend, many thanks peeps! :no:

We were handed a set of keys to a record box last night, if they belong to anyone drop me a line and I'll send them on to you.

Any more playlists anyone? I'll post mine later when I've got a bit more time.

Next event at the Legion is Saturday 23rd October with DJs Geoff Rudd, Kev Fearnhead, Pete Everett, Carol McCarthy and meself, hope to see a few of you there. :lol:

Great to meet you too Phil. I have coiped and paste your post below, just hope it works when I press the Add Reply button???

Post below is from Phil:

Assume mods will move to lookbacks in due course. Sunday morning, can't sleep, bored etc so excuse this if it turns into an incoherent, rambling load of balls .

Despite the obvious big pulls of the Skeg weekender and Radcliffe nighter numbers weren't too bad at all at T'Legion and, more importantly, those that did go along seemed (to me anyway) to be well up for a night of anything goes quality soul.

Always a bit disconcerting when the floor is empty and your playing records to it - although I've grown quite used to it over the years- but then when you loook around you see all the heads nodding and toes tapping away and are reassured. A bit like that is Burscough but certainly none the worse for it and actually quite refreshing. Folk know what they're getting, by and large, and choose to dance or not; no dramas either way. Nice to relax and just play stuff without constantly chasing the floor which can sometimes end-up in resort to lowest common denominator sounds. Not ere.

A good number of the usual suspects in attendance and always great to catch up with mates like Jimmy, Mr and Mrs W, Les and Mrs H, Paul, Col Murph, Jacko, Neil et al. (Missed Tony, Joan and Ian of course who were on nighter duties but next time for sure).

Anyway, to the chase ... ... was totally and utterly knackd following a nighter on Friday but really enjoyed it as I invariably do. I suspect that puddings can sometimes get over-egged in 'lookbacks' but honestly, overall, I think the tunes played over the course of the whole night were as good as you'll hear at any soul nite in a small West Lancashire citadel:lol:

Nah, it was miles better than that and all the DJs contributed equally I think as everyone added a bit of something different to the mix and the end result was spot-on IMHO: Clarence Reid, Johnny Honeycut, Winfield Parker, Arthur Alexander, Cash McCall etc etc:

Big Jimmy - good ear bud :( Caviar tastes like sh*t Jim; they don't have to be expensive mate;

Adam - passionate, up-for-it and progressive as ever and, more importantly, a top lad;

Bridgey - great to meet you pal; lovely fella and a nice cross-section of tasty plays emerged from that box all night.(Even put the pressure on by getting em up you bugger; that's the last time I'm following you :g: )

Not forgetting mein host and I thought Brookesy's selections at the end of the night were magic: William Hunt, Bobbie Smith, Visitors etc ... :rolleyes:

Full credit then to Mr and Mrs B! Its obviously a major commitment and not all plain sailing running any event yet they've established a genuinely forward-thinking night in a great venue, where folk can play what they like and punters can soak it up as they see fit. Perfect!

Its a competetive old market at the mo as we all know and while the big venues do a major and in various senses quite different job, as they always have of course, there's absolutely no doubting the fact that the scene would be a whole lot poorer without nights like Burscough and the punters who continue to support it.

Thanks again for asking me to play some records and roll on the next one. Playlists posted as requested Tony; it's in the, erm, playlist bit :thumbup:

atb

Phil

ps. Adam - don't tell anyone :no: Attractive trades always a possibility :yes:

pps. Jimmy (minus sat nav) - just stay where you are, lock the doors and I'll come and get yer :(

"DITTO" :(

Of course one cannot be quite as eloquent as your very good self Mr. T.

However-

It were awreet- wonnit.

ATB

Tony

Big Jimmy - good ear bud :yes: Caviar tastes like sh*t Jim; they don't have to be expensive mate;

Bridgey - great to meet you pal; lovely fella and a nice cross-section of tasty plays emerged from that box all night.(Even put the pressure on by getting em up you bugger; that's the last time I'm following you :lol: )

Not forgetting mein host and I thought Brookesy's selections at the end of the night were magic: William Hunt, Bobbie Smith, Visitors etc ... :yes:

Thanks again for asking me to play some records and roll on the next one. Playlists posted as requested Tony; it's in the, erm, playlist bit :huh:

atb

Phil

ps. Adam - don't tell anyone :no: Attractive trades always a possibility :no:

pps. Jimmy (minus sat nav) - just stay where you are, lock the doors and I'll come and get yer :lol:

Nice little write up that Phil :thumbup:. I was going to put a post up much earlier today but spent 20 minutes just looking at the PC monitor trying to find some part of my brain that still worked well enough to type something vaguely worthwhile......so after 30 minutes of deep contemplation about how Iit was possible to spend 20 minutes staring without purpose at the monitor I decided to wait a few hours and then post :(:lol: .

First visit for me to Burscough and we found the venue without any problems and what a cracking place it is! Nice size with large dancefloor, and nice sound system pumping out some quality RnB with Jimmy behind the decks selecting the sounds. Got a warm welcome at the door from Tony and Lisa, was a nice change to the abuse thrown at us from Phil as he attempted to run me over geting into the car park!

Not seen Jimmy for months and months so was great to catch up and take all his money just like I used to almost every weekend a year or more ago....think the first sentence from him in a quick chat at the start of the evening was 'I'm not listening to anything you're selling' :lol:. Gentle persuasion and not long before he's the proud owner of 3 new records :rolleyes:. Two great 30 min sets from him, good taste in tunes and puts them together very nicely....great stuff mate :g:.

Didn't have long to settle in before it was time for my first spot, with Bridgey taking over from me and then Phil, great meeting ya Bridgey. Tried to make sure I was having a half hour cig break for Phils set but misjudged and had to listen to nearly all of it :lol:. Of course the truth is Phil played two great 30mins and enjoyed talking and having a laugh mate, top company...even if I do only understand every third word of what you're saying :(.

All in all I really enjoyed myself, good venue, good music and a good appreciative crowd....thanks to Tony for asking me along, hope most enjoyed my plays. Here's my playlist...

9.00-9.30pm

Joe Johnson - Rattlesnake Baby

Guitar Slim - That's What It's All About

Roy Brown - Baby It's Love

Sonny Rhodes - You Better Stop

Victoria Williams & JD Ledbetter - Show Some Sign

Soul City - Cold Hearted Blues

International KCPs - Everybody's Goin Wild

Freddy Hill - Mr Lucky

Little Bob - We're In Love

Ernie Washington - Lonesome Shack

Willie Gauff - Everybody Needs Love

11.00-11.30pm

Lanny Hunt - Suzie Q

Jimmy Moore - Church Street Sally

Clarence Reid - I'm Your Yes Man

Winfield Parker - Mr Clean

Little Gigi - I Volunteer

Diane Lewis - Without Your Love

Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't Gonna Move

Tobi Lark - Happiness Is Here

Soul Notes - Don't Make Me Beg

Sam Dees - Claim Jumping

Tommie Young - That's All A Part Of Loving Him

Little Rena Scott - I Just Can't Forget That Boy

Will be back for a visit soon, quality nights playing quality music are worth the time and effort of travelling to :(

Adam.

PS. Phil, secret is save with me mate. Tasty trades???? Hmmm only tasty trade that comes to mind is the wife and I'd let her go for that record! Visually she's EX+ just very light wear and tear due to age. But while sound when playing out can be brilliant there are also times when there's audible hiss, distortion and crackle. Also slightly warped :huh::lol:

Edited by Guest

Nice little write up that Phil :yes:. I was going to put a post up much earlier today but spent 20 minutes just looking at the PC monitor trying to find some part of my brain that still worked well enough to type something vaguely worthwhile......so after 30 minutes of deep contemplation about how Iit was possible to spend 20 minutes staring without purpose at the monitor I decided to wait a few hours and then post :(:no: .

First visit for me to Burscough and we found the venue without any problems and what a cracking place it is! Nice size with large dancefloor, and nice sound system pumping out some quality RnB with Jimmy behind the decks selecting the sounds. Got a warm welcome at the door from Tony and Lisa, was a nice change to the abuse thrown at us from Phil as he attempted to run me over geting into the car park!

Not seen Jimmy for months and months so was great to catch up and take all his money just like I used to almost every weekend a year or more ago....think the first sentence from him in a quick chat at the start of the evening was 'I'm not listening to anything you're selling' :huh:. Gentle persuasion and not long before he's the proud owner of 3 new records :rolleyes:. Two great 30 min sets from him, good taste in tunes and puts them together very nicely....great stuff mate :thumbup:.

Didn't have long to settle in before it was time for my first spot, with Bridgey taking over from me and then Phil, great meeting ya Bridgey. Tried to make sure I was having a half hour cig break for Phils set but misjudged and had to listen to nearly all of it :huh:. Of course the truth is Phil played two great 30mins and enjoyed talking and having a laugh mate, top company...even if I do only understand every third word of what you're saying :(.

All in all I really enjoyed myself, good venue, good music and a good appreciative crowd....thanks to Tony for asking me along, hope most enjoyed my plays. Here's my playlist...

9.00-9.30pm

Joe Johnson - Rattlesnake Baby

Guitar Slim - That's What It's All About

Roy Brown - Baby It's Love

Sonny Rhodes - You Better Stop

Victoria Williams & JD Ledbetter - Show Some Sign

Soul City - Cold Hearted Blues

International KCPs - Everybody's Goin Wild

Freddy Hill - Mr Lucky

Little Bob - We're In Love

Ernie Washington - Lonesome Shack

Willie Gauff - Everybody Needs Love

11.00-11.30pm

Lanny Hunt - Suzie Q

Jimmy Moore - Church Street Sally

Clarence Reid - I'm Your Yes Man

Winfield Parker - Mr Clean

Little Gigi - I Volunteer

Diane Lewis - Without Your Love

Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't Gonna Move

Tobi Lark - Happiness Is Here

Soul Notes - Don't Make Me Beg

Sam Dees - Claim Jumping

Tommie Young - That's All A Part Of Loving Him

Little Rena Scott - I Just Can't Forget That Boy

Will be back for a visit soon, quality nights playing quality music are worth the time and effort of travelling to :g:

Adam.

PS. Phil, secret is save with me mate. Tasty trades???? Hmmm only tasty trade that comes to mind is the wife and I'd let her go for that record! Visually she's EX+ just very light wear and tear due to age. But while sound when playing out can be brilliant there are also times when there's audible hiss, distortion and crackle. Also slightly warped :(:lol:

Deal. Mine looks mint but won't play :lol:

I beleive it was a good nite, Pete informed me yesterday. Not quite sure what happened on sat nite one minute I was getting ready to go out for a gud dance and the next I was on the floor but I'm ok now.

Soz I did not make it as Burscough is deffo one of my fav venues, can u re-book all the dj's u had on Brooksey n Lisa cos I feel I missed out big time.

Smurfy

was in good company had a good laugh with geoff and jean , enjoyed phil's spot and some of the others . its very hard to put a night on these days without clashing with somthing. and now all these wkenders are on all over the place its much worse ,i dont have a problem with the esablished one's but it sure is getting tough out here , so i think tony and lisa did well to put the night on in the first place with all that was going on .good clubs like this that are a more forward thinking are very thin on the ground ,so make the effort and visit them whenever you can !!!

was in good company had a good laugh with geoff and jean , enjoyed phil's spot and some of the others . its very hard to put a night on these days without clashing with somthing. and now all these wkenders are on all over the place its much worse ,i dont have a problem with the esablished one's but it sure is getting tough out here , so i think tony and lisa did well to put the night on in the first place with all that was going on .good clubs like this that are a more forward thinking are very thin on the ground ,so make the effort and visit them whenever you can !!!

You run one anorl :thumbsup: Get it on regular

Im too late to go indepth with my superlatives here.... some great and accurate writeups already in, but suffice to say a few words in agreement and must give my nomination for tune of the nite ...

HAS to be the incredibly brill ERNIE WASHINGTON "LONESOME SHACK" (Chatahoochie) Not heard this played out for ages,so thanks to Adam for that.

However special mention has to be made for Jimmys inspired picks,some crackers indeed whose soulful quality by far outstrips the price tag (great combination!)

ie KELLY BROS.CRYING DAYS ARE OVER (SIMS), JOHNNIE MAE MATTHEWS (Cant remember title,could haved bin OH BABY), and perhaps best of all OTIS CLAY.GOT TO FIND A WAY (ONE-DER-FUL) GREAT STUFF.

Well done Tony and Lisa, looking forward to next time already.

Edited by marsupial

What another top night at the legion, superb tunes played by all the DJ's, couldn't care less about the numbers, there loss :D couldn't dance as much cause of my dodgy knee but keep up the great work tony and lisa and see you next month :ohmy:

ps sorry it took me so long to post, pc playing up, kids eh :thumbsup: