Temptations "stay" On Motown 45

Blake H

OK, there's a copy on a well known site for £500, is this 45 really that rare? I remember Kev Briscoe locating a handful in the US a few years back and its not seen for sale very often, so whats the informed opinion on the rarity of this 45?

As ever

Blake

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Kev Briscoe

Hi Blake!!

Hope that you and Nicky are both well.

I got less than dozen of the 45's and as Sean rightly said I'm down to my last 'spare'!!

I'm sure that John Benson picked up a couple along the way as well.

It would have been a very limited press for promotional purposes only so I'm guessig anywhere between 100-300 copies. This may sound a lot but it's 'bugger all' in the scheme of things.

As you will remember it was a massive sound on the Modern scene when it came out on CD. It's value can only increase as it becomes more well known, especiially among the 'Luddites' who won't / can't play CD's!

Think I'll be hanging on to my 'spare' for a bit longer!

Kev

Social source share

So Blake...

Just what is this all leading to? - you've either got a copy to sell or found a box full? :lol:

By the way, I've not got a clue on a price... :thumbsup:

You cynical old Hector........ Its neither John, I was really surprised by the £500 price tag and thought it would make an interesting topic!

It seems to have either been sold or pulled from the site which quoted something like "only 2 copies on these shores" which I was surprised at!

As Sean says a toughie, but in quality worth every penny.

BH

PS. not changed your mind about Bilbao?

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

You cynical old Hector........ Its neither John, I was really surprised by the £500 price tag and thought it would make an interesting topic!......

.....As Sean says a toughie, but in quality worth every penny.

BH

OK Blake, I stand corrected! :yes: I thought for a moment you were 'sounding out' the market!

PS - I've not seen you for ages to tell you have I - so we'll be seeing you at the airport :lol::hatsoff2:

Social source share

You cynical old Hector........ Its neither John, I was really surprised by the £500 price tag and thought it would make an interesting topic!

It seems to have either been sold or pulled from the site which quoted something like "only 2 copies on these shores" which I was surprised at!

As Sean says a toughie, but in quality worth every penny.

BH

they are lovely fellows but all steve and lees prices would make interesting topics. theres a temps 12in for sale @£40. which is about right imo. the 7 should be £75 tops

dave

Social source share

I found 10 copies in a record store in Memphis a few years back, probably not too long after release. I moved them on for between 30 and 50 quid, and sold the last one on eBay a few months back. If it was intended for jukebox distribution then the press would have been in 1000's, not 100's....

Decent demand for the 45 at the time of release, but tough to find interest a few years on.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I found 10 copies in a record store in Memphis a few years back, probably not too long after release. I moved them on for between 30 and 50 quid, and sold the last one on eBay a few months back. If it was intended for jukebox distribution then the press would have been in 1000's, not 100's....

Decent demand for the 45 at the time of release, but tough to find interest a few years on.

I also found three in Memphis a few years back, as with yourself not long after its release - looks like one of us missed some!:D

Kept one (which I still have, so add me to that list) and pretty much gave the spare two copies away - I had no idea that there was or would be any kind of rariity whatsoever surrounding this 45...

...story of my life, really...:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

hi Cliff, not to many vinyl jukeboxes left in the US even then......300-50 is what I heard. ATB, Steve

Sorry, Steve, but Cliff's almost certainly more right than you are. 1000 would then have been a pretty standard minimum press from a major label. It would not have been worth anyone's while to have mastered, had labels printed, and paid pressing costs for 350 copies. In fact I doubt that any label manager would have got that kind of projected figure past a company accountant by the 90s....

Social source share

have the 12" copy--and cd album of course

Yes for my sins i too have the promo 12" & CD.......oh and the 45 (courtesy of Mr Briscoe many moons ago at yarmouth :lol: )

Not sure i have in quite enough formats yet though :yes:

Cheers

Steve

ps There's no way it's a £500 record, no way on this planet! Think the extra '0' was a typo, must have been?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

33 then lol

dave

C,mon guys

Check Popsike

£44

Was gonna av a bid on the last one on ebygum but missed it

would av liked it for the collection

PopsikeThe Temptations - Stay / My Girl US Motown 45 422860862-7. Very limited issued 45 from the "Phoenix Rising" album from 1998. Great modern soul....check the sound clip...

£500 my Jim Royle arse

will always be a nice record though

Martyn

Social source share

Yes for my sins i too have the promo 12" & CD.......oh and the 45 (courtesy of Mr Briscoe many moons ago at yarmouth :ohmy: )

Not sure i have in quite enough formats yet though :lol:

What about this one Steve - a promo CD single from Brazil?

post-5094-064935400 1286051387_thumb.jpg

Never got myself a 12" though, just the 7", CD album.... and the one above :lol:

Social source share

What about this one Steve - a promo CD single from Brazil?

post-5094-064935400 1286051387_thumb.jpg

Never got myself a 12" though, just the 7", CD album.... and the one above :thumbup:

Have you got relatives in Brazil John?

You seem to turn up quite a few oddball Brazilian releases don't you :lol:

And no, I haven''t got it :thumbup:

See you in a few days thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!