Tony Jebb's Soul Nights Rose Room Burnley 71

BrianB

This attachment (hopefully) is a ticket for the Rare Soul Nights at the Rose Room that Tony Jebb started in September 1971. I was 16, nearly 17 and about 10 of us started going down as we liked Motown and stuff like The Tams BYBFBH. We were the only ones down but for around 15 lads from Blackpool and Accrington.

These nights were my first proper Northern do's. Note the ticket saying Rare Soul as the term Northern Soul had not been coined at this time. The nights lasted about 6 months.

I can still remember the records I heard at these nights for the first time. Zig Zag Lightning, Get out of my heart, My elusive dreams, Queen of Fools, A little bit of something, Too Late, Sandi Sheldon, I don't wanna discuss it, That beating rythmn, Cigarette Ashes, Please let me in, Real Humdinger, Backstreet, You just don't know, You gotta pay the price/To win your heart, Sufferin City, Baby Reconsider, You don't want me no more, I'm coming to your rescue, All turned on (still the best ever instrumental) Girl don't make me wait. The next in line, Whats it Gonna Be, Personally, Hey Sah Lo Ney and loads of others.

Can you imagine hearing them for the first time at 17 all one after another and watching the Blackpool guys dance?

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This attachment (hopefully) is a ticket for the Rare Soul Nights at the Rose Room that Tony Jebb started in September 1971. I was 16, nearly 17 and about 10 of us started going down as we liked Motown and stuff like The Tams BYBFBH. We were the only ones down but for around 15 lads from Blackpool and Accrington.

These nights were my first proper Northern do's. Note the ticket saying Rare Soul as the term Northern Soul had not been coined at this time. The nights lasted about 6 months.

I can still remember the records I heard at these nights for the first time. Zig Zag Lightning, Get out of my heart, My elusive dreams, Queen of Fools, A little bit of something, Too Late, Sandi Sheldon, I don't wanna discuss it, That beating rythmn, Cigarette Ashes, Please let me in, Real Humdinger, Backstreet, You just don't know, You gotta pay the price/To win your heart, Sufferin City, Baby Reconsider, You don't want me no more, I'm coming to your rescue, All turned on (still the best ever instrumental) Girl don't make me wait. The next in line, Whats it Gonna Be, Personally, Hey Sah Lo Ney and loads of others.

Can you imagine hearing them for the first time at 17 all one after another and watching the Blackpool guys dance?

Sorry guys having trouble posting the PDF image. Any suggestions anyone?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert