Mello Souls

Guest Bearsy

Mello Souls - what a tune!!

It was sold recently, stayed within our shore line and i now believe it to be the 2nd highest paid for a northern tune £14000!!

All of this info was i must admit learnt outside kings hall on sat eve sun morning and there was a few slight variations on who when where but what did stay a constant was how much......once again as if you say it quick it dont sound that much......£14000!!

Social source share

Mello Souls - what a tune!!

It was sold recently, stayed within our shore line and i now believe it to be the 2nd highest paid for a northern tune £14000!!

All of this info was i must admit learnt outside kings hall on sat eve sun morning and there was a few slight variations on who when where but what did stay a constant was how much......once again as if you say it quick it dont sound that much......£14000!!

Rumours don't you just love 'em :( It wasn't £14k according to the man who bought it :sleep3: and if they read soul source they would know who sold it and who bought it :yes:

Social source share

• 5 months later...

There's another clean copy emerged here in the States, found in a basement in nowheresville for $4, changed hands since then for a larger sum but an utter bargain compared to the last one

So does that make it one more copy out there OR is this one already in the mix? hatsoff2.gif

Edited by rach
Social source share

There's another clean copy emerged here in the States, found in a basement in nowheresville for $4, changed hands since then for a larger sum but an utter bargain compared to the last one

Although I'm jealous nay seething with envy ! about finds like this it's great to know stuff is still out there waiting to be found. Like Brian Georgiasouls' 99 cent bid on the Eddie Billpups on ebay recently - there's bits out there waiting to be found. Still bloody jealous though and I tip my hat to the guys who find this stuff.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest Richard Fisher

Hello,

I'm new to this but not to Northern Soul. I have been reading this post. I am from Wilmington Delaware where Silas Phifer is from, his family lives here though I do not know them. I have an ORIGINAL Copy of the MELLO SOULS - I got My Pride / We Can Make 45rpm record. It is in fair condition meaning that it plays through without and skips but there is background hiss through out. Just the HOLY GRAIL of Northern Soul because, as mentioned earlier in the forum, it was only released to DJ's in the area. If you are interested in this copy email me ricihardfisher2@comcast.net. I can send you scans and an audio file of the record itself. It is not cheap but less then the supposed $17,200.00 - that is 14,000.00 converted into dollars that sold in 2010. I got my record a long time ago at an outdoor flea market, yes, I found a gem, and have had if for awhile and would like someone else to enjoy it. This one has not been counted in the 3 or 4 that have surfaced over the years. If you know this record at all and know where it was pressed, what the label is about then you will automatically know it is a TRUE PRESSING. I do not deal with anything else. As I said, it is my Holy Grail but I have to let others enjoy it if not for what it is then for a boost to your collection!

Thanks for looking,

Rich

post-28219-0-41807600-1344859184_thumb.j

Social source share

Hello,

I'm new to this but not to Northern Soul. I have been reading this post. I am from Wilmington Delaware where Silas Phifer is from, his family lives here though I do not know them. I have an ORIGINAL Copy of the MELLO SOULS - I got My Pride / We Can Make 45rpm record. It is in fair condition meaning that it plays through without and skips but there is background hiss through out. Just the HOLY GRAIL of Northern Soul because, as mentioned earlier in the forum, it was only released to DJ's in the area. If you are interested in this copy email me ricihardfisher2@comcast.net. I can send you scans and an audio file of the record itself. It is not cheap but less then the supposed $17,200.00 - that is 14,000.00 converted into dollars that sold in 2010. I got my record a long time ago at an outdoor flea market, yes, I found a gem, and have had if for awhile and would like someone else to enjoy it. This one has not been counted in the 3 or 4 that have surfaced over the years. If you know this record at all and know where it was pressed, what the label is about then you will automatically know it is a TRUE PRESSING. I do not deal with anything else. As I said, it is my Holy Grail but I have to let others enjoy it if not for what it is then for a boost to your collection!

Thanks for looking,

Rich

==========

sounded brilliant at the nuneaton coop allniter last saturday...

Social source share

you can get an acetate done at numerous places, it is no different to a carver, if for your own listening pleasure fine, if sold or played out it is no different to a bootleg. If it is of an unisuued or cut from unissued master tape, again no problems with those. Don't know how you can suggest what you have is any different to a cut/carver or whatever you want to call them. People have been cutting acetates for years and years, carvers are simply more modern method.

You can or could still buy original Virtue blanks and get stuff cut to them.

There are loads of acetates and carvers of Sandi Golden, my mate had Robs copy for a while before it went to Richard S and cut and acetate. Rob no doubt did at least one.

Mello Souls is btw a Virtue recording, it says so in the run out.

well said C

you can get an acetate done at numerous places, it is no different to a carver, if for your own listening pleasure fine, if sold or played out it is no different to a bootleg. If it is of an unisuued or cut from unissued master tape, again no problems with those. Don't know how you can suggest what you have is any different to a cut/carver or whatever you want to call them. People have been cutting acetates for years and years, carvers are simply more modern method.

You can or could still buy original Virtue blanks and get stuff cut to them.

There are loads of acetates and carvers of Sandi Golden, my mate had Robs copy for a while before it went to Richard S and cut and acetate. Rob no doubt did at least one.

Mello Souls is btw a Virtue recording, it says so in the run out.

well said Chalky you are 100% correct

Social source share

Guest Richard Fisher

True, VIRTUE on the matrix, not machine stamped but rather hand etched.

Edited by Richard Fisher
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Does anyone have an update on this sale? Has it gone to an anonymous buyer for an undisclosed fee?

Social source share

Does anyone have an update on this sale? Has it gone to an anonymous buyer for an undisclosed fee?

I heard Marc Forrest sold both his kidneys for it ,but the deal fell through when the recipient of kidney number two realised it was in fact a bulls liver from the butchers :)

Social source share

Guest Richard Fisher

The sale is near completion, I will let the new owner discuss the terms if they choose to. I will have more hard to find Soul in the coming months!

Social source share

• 9 months later...
Guest CARL D

Was going to ask on the latest MS thread if anyone had info' on the Mello Souls, but just found this on an earlier one. V.Interesting Andy-thanks, Carl.

Thanks Chalky .... James Chavis, who owned Chavis & Candi Records, was based in Wilmingtom

Silas Phifer did record for him as lead on the Mellow Fellows, the embryonic Mello Souls, on Candi

James last saw Silas in the late 70's, as Chalky has said Silas ended up in a nursing home, and has since died.

When I last spoke to Mr Chavis Jnr he said his dad, James, was also in a home and despite being 92 still had his memory fully intact

On the occasions I spoke to James he was not interested enough to go into any great detail about his time in the music industry. Not exactly rude but you had to prepare yourself to call him back

Marc Gordon was just the same

As I recall the Empires (Candi), Mellow Fellows (Candi) & Matadors (Chavis) had strong family links, brothers/cousins etc, and group members would move from one to another as required

Andy

Social source share

Ive just listened to the sound bite either i have a serious ear infection or am i missing something? It sounds like a £10 record to me - not impressed - it's awful imo.

If it was a £10 record i still wouldnt own one!

The strange world of Northern Soul eh :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Ive just listened to the sound bite either i have a serious ear infection or am i missing something? It sounds like a £10 record to me - not impressed - it's awful imo.

Agreed, with respect to the We Can Make It side. You're definitely not missing anything (although others will beg to differ); and I know I don't have an ear infection!

I would, however, pay £10 for the flip ... maybe even £20.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes very strange :)

Anyone who doesnt like it must be 90% dead and extremeIy strange IMO :g:  :wicked:  :P

No offence :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes very strange :)

Anyone who doesnt like it must be 90% dead and extremeIy strange IMO :g:  :wicked:  :P

No offence :thumbsup:

This record certainly appears to split opinion down the middle, either love it or hate it, I'm somewhere inbetween the middle of those two extremes bordering on 'liking' it. The problem is, although the intro is a call to arms to the dance floor, there's not much else to it really...I think it's a good record, not a great one, but if quality equates to money, then Frank Wilson is worth a million times more than this.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This record certainly appears to split opinion down the middle, either love it or hate it, I'm somewhere inbetween the middle of those two extremes bordering on 'liking' it. The problem is, although the intro is a call to arms to the dance floor, there's not much else to it really...I think it's a good record, not a great one, but if quality equates to money, then Frank Wilson is worth a million times more than this.

Its been said before Pete, if you haven't heard it at a nighter under certain "conditions" you haven't had the full benefit of it, it just blows the roof off.

Having said that I think I heard it first on the internet and still liked it straight away.

Cant understand how anyone could describe it as awful but we've all got different tastes

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!