Did You Go To Jazz Funk Nights ?

grantdyche

I tried out a few Jazz Funk nights back in the day the main one being "Rafters" in Manchester,

Loads of New York Disco type guys and girls all doing what they did at the time,Lots of sandals and zoot type pants,

I never really got into the music though,

I can only remember two tunes that stick in my mind,

Do they ever get played at Jazz Funk nights nowadays,

The start of this one is fantastic,Just good and different

The next one from Wilton Felder,Still sounds good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diNcTybdVyw

Anymore out there ??

Edited by grantdyche
Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I tried out a few Jazz Funk nights back in the day the main one being "Rafters" in Manchester,

Loads of New York Disco type guys and girls all doing what they did at the time,Lots of sandals and zoot type pants,

I never really got into the music though,

I can only remember two tunes that stick in my mind,

Do they ever get played at Jazz Funk nights nowadays,

The start of this one is fantastic,Just good and different

The next one from Wilton Felder,Still sounds good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diNcTybdVyw

Anymore out there ??

Oh aye yeah, Rufus was the place I first sampled-

Things like

Herbie Hancock-I thought it was You

Roy Ayres-Running Away

Eddie Henderson-Prance On

Six Million Steps

etc, etc

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Did quite a few of the Blackpool Mecca all dayers in the 70's, remember Peter Brown, Anita Ward, George Duke, Hi Tension, Roy Ayres, etc... fun days.......

Social source share

Used to go to the Roundabout in Gloucester on a Monday night. Used to have special guest DJ's.

I used to have a great tape that one of the dancers did for me and I still have the Jeff Lorber Fusion - Watersign album as a result.

Stand out for me were the dancers. One from Gloucester - Russell Adamson - was pretty bloody good.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Growing up in the London area meant we got more than our fair share of jazz funk on the the nights we didn't travel up norf.

Global Village at Waterloo & Frenchies at Camberley -are two that I frequented a lot...

Wilbert Longmire- Black is the Color

Howard Kenney- Save some for the Children

Bring back memories of mohair jumpers, wedge haircuts,carpenter jeans,plastic sandles,stunning girls and a whole lot more...:lol:

Social source share

Nottm palaise alldayers around was the start for me, downstairs in the Bali high, Birmingham Lacano Dayers back room, Blackpool Mecca. pure joy.

Peter Brown - Do you wanna get funky with me & Dance with me

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=OS22W4zwZ1w

Quincy Jones - Sounds & stuff like that

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=NCHRGSx4apg

Greg Diamond & Bionic Boogey - Hot butterfly ( Cream always rises to the top )

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=eR_7irtAt_g

Charles Earland - Perceptions ( Let the music play on & Over & Over )

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=XS_VwOqjNRY

Gene Chandler - Get down https://www.youtube.c...h?v=twTvNOW8UzY

Spira Gyra - Opus de Opus & Morning Dance

Manu Dibango - Big Blow & Sun explosion

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=jfLpGAx49DY

Ashford & Simpson - It seems to hang on

Kenny Delt & Pirana - Conquer all

Herb Albert - Rise 33rpm import played at 45rpm

Eddie Enderson - Prance on, played of the LP at 45rpm

War - Galaxy, Hey Senorita , Keep on doin ,

Sine - Just let me do my thing

And my all time favourite Paul Lewis - Inner city Blues :- https://www.youtube.c...h?v=gF09tuqf3Mo

Remember the Charles Earland track now really very funky Disco type dancer same time as Hamilton Bohannon "Lets start to dance"

Peter Brown "Do ya wanna" class tune,

Used to play a lot of the others back in my dj days,I used to get laughed at when I played "Rise" on 45,

The Sine track was a biggie about 78 ish I think,

Many of the tracks you mentioned crossed over to the more commercial clubs(Disco's),Loved "Morning Dance"

Anyone remember this one

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

i was djing myself in those jazz funk days, had a residency at tramtracks in royton , oldham from 77 to 79, the forementioned tracks from charles earland and ashford and simpson were particular faves of mine. i used to get most of my tunes from spinn in in manchester. other tracks were commodores..brick house..prince..slippery when wet...garnett mimms trucking company....george duke...and loads of new york disco dross, sylvester...over and over...fat larry's band ...center city....brick.....dazz and copious ammounts of bootsy collins and funkadelic.

Social source share

What a tune that was,

Was it not released at one time on a 12" four track called "Turn on the tap" from Tappan Zee records,

What where the other 3 tunes on it??

I can recall a tune by Richard Tee(I think) on it,Can't remember the title though

Oh yes

Got 1 of these from Jumbo Records Leeds

Nobody mentioned

Leeds Central

Legendary Jazz Funk Friday Nights

ATMOSPHERE

Mohair jumpers

Combat pants

Tweed jackets

most of them bought from X clothes Leeds

thats when charity shops used to smell

Cutting edge

Ask Mr Dewhirst

Martyn

Social source share

What a tune that was,

Was it not released at one time on a 12" four track called "Turn on the tap" from Tappan Zee records,

What where the other 3 tunes on it??

I can recall a tune by Richard Tee(I think) on it,Can't remember the title though

Richard Tee "First Love"

Bob James "Touchdown"

Wilbert Longmire "Black Is The Color"

Mongo Santamaria "Watermelon Man"

retailed for I;99 as a new release

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Yes indeed

Rio- Didcot stands out as one of the memorable clubs, also went to the first Caister soul weekender in 79 [ i think] not strictly jazz-funk but a brilliant eye opener for new sounds. Always made a point of going into the Bali- hi at the Locarno all dayers in Birmingham. When i lived in Banbury most of the black music fans / soulies were open to hearing anything new, so we travelled all over the county & country to hear black music.

The list of sounds is endless & most have been posted here already so i wont bore you with a list.

Social source share

Richard Tee "First Love"

Bob James "Touchdown"

Wilbert Longmire "Black Is The Color"

Mongo Santamaria "Watermelon Man"

retailed for I;99 as a new release

Cheers Paul

Just reading some earlier posts and at No 7 is the cover of the record plus the £1.99 price tag,

Did Heatwaves "The Groove Line" get plays back then(At jazz funk venues)?,Before it was a hit in the commercial clubs

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

While you lot were poncing about to disco music with your white socks on, the rest of us were trying to keep the Northern Soul scene alive.

Back now though, aren't you...

i tried to do both pete, the jazz funk ,disco thing was just a fad...the new thing at the time.....it was better than punk though.:lol::D

:yes:

Social source share

While you lot were poncing about to disco music with your white socks on, the rest of us were trying to keep the Northern Soul scene alive.

Pete

As the Mickey Mousers say

Calmn Down Calmn Down

We was avin fun and enjoyin new Soul Music

Martyn

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I don't know about that, I still couldn't listen to a jazz funk record but I've got countless punk records!

and your welcome to em!........i can listen to some punk, but not the pistols or sigue sigue sputnik type of stuff.quite liked the damned and the bands that evolved from punk..stranglers...buzzcocks....that typeof thing.

Social source share

My first Jazz Funk experience was this: post-859-058537700 1285975087_thumb.jpg

Can't say that I enjoyed everything I heard,but ones I remember hearing for the first time were Charles Earland 'Let The Music Play', Karen Young 'HotShot',Bohannon 'Let's Start The Dance' and in particular a track which I thought would probably do well in the pop music charts if it picked up a few plays, Sylvester 'You Make Me Feel Mighty Real'!

Social source share

Many of us were doing both Pete. Experiencing everything about the soul scene at the time, just cause the anoraks called it all disco and decided it was beneath them didn't make it any less relivent to those of us that dabbled, and still do, on the dark side :ohmy:.

Besides, around 77 I was 17 and there were some seriously fit ladies in some seriously sexy and scanty clothing to be found in the little disco room at the back :lol: .

Not sure about that...you were either one or the other, very few people were into both, very partisan - where I cam from anyway

Social source share

At the time I was never really into Jazz Funk at all,Just went along to see what the score was so to speak,I was also working as a club dj at the time so It was a way to hear some of the newer "Disco" sounds,

A lot of the then "Jazz Funk" went on to become mainstream Disco,So as I worked as a dj it was a way to keep up with the Jonse's,

Here's a couple more not mentioned yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apX9V7Geb9A

Edited by grantdyche
Social source share

Started going to Jazz Funk nights when the Northern scene was starting to have too many 'Oldies' nights (pre-Stafford). Also started going to the 6Ts nights about the same time as I was never 'into' Oldies and always wanted to hear good new sounds.

Here's a few which were big in the late 70s/ early 80s:

Roy Ayers/ Wayne Henderson - Heat of the Beat

BB&Q Band - On The Beat

Stanley Cowell - The Stoker

Hank Crawford - Tico Rico

Ned Dehony - To Prove My Love

Kennie Delt and Prana - Conquer All

Earth, Wind & Fire - Biyo

Richard Evans - Burning Spear

Wilton Felder - Let's Dance Together

John Handy - Hard Work

Eddie Henderson - Kudu

Hiroshima - Lion Dance

Bob James - Westchester Lady

Webster Lewis - Theme

Lonnie Liston Smith - Never Too Late/ Expansions

Ralph Macdonald - Calypso Breakdown

Gap Mangione - Time of the Season

Jimmy McGriff - Tailgunner

Idris Muhammad - Could Heaven Ever Be Like This/ Turn This Mutha Out

Dave 'Fathead' Newman - Keep The Dream Alive

Houston Person - Dancing Feet

Eddie Russ - Tea Leaves

Slave - Slide

Gino Soccio - Try It Out

Bill Summers - Straight To The Bank

Richard Tee - First Love

Joe Thomas - Plato's Retreat

Miroslay Vitous - New York City

Zapp - Dance Floor

Social source share

Guest martyn

Started going to Jazz Funk nights when the Northern scene was starting to have too many 'Oldies' nights (pre-Stafford). Also started going to the 6Ts nights about the same time as I was never 'into' Oldies and always wanted to hear good new sounds.

Here's a few which were big in the late 70s/ early 80s:

Roy Ayers/ Wayne Henderson - Heat of the Beat

BB&Q Band - On The Beat

Stanley Cowell - The Stoker

Hank Crawford - Tico Rico

Ned Dehony - To Prove My Love

Kennie Delt and Prana - Conquer All

Earth, Wind & Fire - Biyo

Richard Evans - Burning Spear

Wilton Felder - Let's Dance Together

John Handy - Hard Work

Eddie Henderson - Kudu

Hiroshima - Lion Dance

Bob James - Westchester Lady

Webster Lewis - Theme

Lonnie Liston Smith - Never Too Late/ Expansions

Ralph Macdonald - Calypso Breakdown

Gap Mangione - Time of the Season

Jimmy McGriff - Tailgunner

Idris Muhammad - Could Heaven Ever Be Like This/ Turn This Mutha Out

Dave 'Fathead' Newman - Keep The Dream Alive

Houston Person - Dancing Feet

Eddie Russ - Tea Leaves

Slave - Slide

Gino Soccio - Try It Out

Bill Summers - Straight To The Bank

Richard Tee - First Love

Joe Thomas - Plato's Retreat

Miroslay Vitous - New York City

Zapp - Dance Floor

Hang on mate , looking at your list there some of those were big on the Northern scene in the mid to late 70s (Biyo & New York City spring to mind ).Add all the other obscure 70s stuff Sam , Richard , Arthur Fenn etc etc were playing circa 1980 at Wigan , Rotherham , The Fleet on top of the 60s newies being spun by the likes of Pat Brady , Gary Rushbrook , Richard (again) etc etc , you really are WRONG .1979 to 1983 really was a gollden age of Northern Soul - You COULD have had the best of it without ever going to a jazz/funk club ......................................................................................IMO of course :D

Social source share

There were a lot of sounds that were popular in both scenes at the same time and I didn't go exclusively to one or the other. I went to Arthur and Sam's nights whenever I could but my geographical location at the time (Southampton) offered more Jazz Funk opportunities.

I do like Northern, Modern, Jazz Funk, Deep Soul, 6Ts, Funk, etc. Maybe I'm lucky that I can appreciate them all Lol.

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Thank you for making me laugh on a very wet morning Pete :D

You forgot to add plastic sandals to the white socks :yes: .........

Malc

Social source share

And yet you still had time for Punk

The fact I bought a few post-punk records didn't come at the expense of me not going to Northern do's. The only jazz-funk I ever came into contact with was at the Bali-Hai room at Birmingham Locarno which I just about remember stumbling into.

Social source share

i was open minded enough

Wonder how long it would be before someone came up with that mantra.

I didn't not like it because I wasn't opened minded, I didn't like it because it was shit compared to Northern Soul.

Sounds alright now as lift music or music to do your shopping to I suppose.

Social source share

Wonder how long it would be before someone came up with that mantra.

I didn't not like it because I wasn't opened minded, I didn't like it because it was shit compared to Northern Soul.

Sounds alright now as lift music or music to do your shopping to I suppose.

To each there own Petethumbsup.gif

Social source share

To each there own Petethumbsup.gif

I know, but that 'open minded' comment is the same thing some people on here start shouting when other people declare that they can't stand modern soul.

I'm just trying to remember what it was like when I was 18, 19, over 30 years, it's so long ago but I'm still pretty sure that we were horrified when one of 'ours' went over to the other side :D

Also I doubt if there were many people who didn't have a copy of One Nation Under A Groove - even I did!

Social source share

Everyone had a copy of "One Nation Under A Groove" it was the law

My next take on this thread is "The rise of the funkateer's"

Being from "Oop North" I remember in Blues and Soul & Black Echoes,Reading about the Funkateer's ,Going to All dayer's at Caister, And a club called (I think) The Goldmine at Canvey Island

Followers of dj's like Chris Hill, Robbie Vincent,Kojak,The soul twins and Dj Froggy who was Froggy ??

They after a few years(Months ?)Started the party type scene,Loads of whistles and woo woo in the crowds,Leading to the release in the mid 80's of the Steve Walsh records featuring the crowd singing along to "I found loving" for example,

The one tune I remember from these times is this one,Pure class in my ears,But was this Jazz Funk or disco,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLKCQq_cDus

Whilst I'm at it have another

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Everyone had a copy of "One Nation Under A Groove" it was the law

My next take on this thread is "The rise of the funkateer's"

Being from "Oop North" I remember in Blues and Soul & Black Echoes,Reading about the Funkateer's ,Going to All dayer's at Caister, And a club called (I think) The Goldmine at Canvey Island

Followers of dj's like Chris Hill, Robbie Vincent,Kojak,The soul twins and Dj Froggy who was Froggy ??

They after a few years(Months ?)Started the party type scene,Loads of whistles and woo woo in the crowds,Leading to the release in the mid 80's of the Steve Walsh records featuring the crowd singing along to "I found loving" for example,

The one tune I remember from these times is this one,Pure class in my ears,But was this Jazz Funk or disco,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLKCQq_cDus

Whilst I'm at it have another

froggy was a radio 1 guy who worked on the summertime specials along with emperor rosko and others at the time, he went on to be a top cutting edge d.j. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

froggy was a radio 1 guy who worked on the summertime specials along with emperor rosko and others at the time, he went on to be a top cutting edge d.j. thumbsup.gif

Hi Jim thanks for your input on this thread,

I did not know this when I posted the quote about dj Froggy, Just found this on google

My link

Never knew him or ever heard him Dj,Must have had a big impact back in the day with the Funky crew

R.I. P.

Grant

Edited by grantdyche
Social source share

Moved to Peterborough from Oldham in 77 and had a girlfriend who would drag me along to the Lime Tree on a Sunday night, Steve Allen was dj I recall, Later moved to the leisure centre in Bretton. Memories a bit vague but seem to remember some good sounds although listening to them now a lot sound very NY disco-ish. The one track that did stand out for me from those times was this:

Social source share

Don't tell Debbie..... but i used to love the venues that had Northern and jazz funk in seperate rooms. Hawaiin shirts and pegs, or cricket whites and dunlop green flash (honestly :lol: ).

Tom Brown, Crown heights affair, Brass Construction, Al De meola, Mass Production, Roy Ayres, Hamilton Bohannon , Cleveland Eaton etc etc. a very eclectic mix of crossover jazz/disco/soul.. I enjoyed em :lol:

I have seen this thread! :lol:

JAZZ FUNK, WEARING CRICKET WHITES :ohmy: & DID YOU SAY DISCO ??? :lol: :lol:

IAN NO, NO, NO nono.gif

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

• 4 months later...
Guest mickeyb

Hiya Kev,

Yeah, Charles in Chelt on sunday (bit messy after Wigan, Rotherham, Stafford - delete as appropriate) Roundabout on Monday and Eves (Tramps) on a Tuesday. Wednesday for chillin' and of we go again. Happy days :hatsoff2: Patrice Rushen Haven't you heard, did for me around then. Hope you and M are OK. Best x

Social source share

The Notts Palais all dayers captured both genres at the one venue, the main hall was pretty much 100% Northern, while downstairs it was pretty much a funk venue; with the odd Jazz funk tune thrown in. If memory serves (which could be dodgy!), it pretty much co existed with not too much fuss and a reasonable majority of the punters attending both rooms. On reflection it seemed pretty healthy. I remember The Isleys 'Tell me it's just a rumour' being played in the main room and walking downstairs and hearing The Isleys ' The Pride' which had just come out.

Social source share

Guest miss nancy

lol

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

Way to young to go to any clubs back in the day, but still got all my tunes that i started buying when i was 11 yes i did say 11.used to catch the bus to the next town where the record shop was , walk in and give the owner a list of 12'',s i wanted him to order from the states for me, first few times where funny as fook used to get some well weid looks, in the end i used to buy that many that the owner of the shop started to stock them, as a kid and "into motown", Northern was way to underground for the likes of my small town, Funk was my time and acessable , still get them on the 1,s and 2,s now and then, but like most, Northern is where its at.

Proabley a bit later than whats been said but here go,s....

Barkays =night criusing

Touchdown=ease your mind

Glenn adams affair=just a groove

Bobby nunn =she,s just a groupie

universal robot band=barely breaking even

The new jersey connection=love dont come easy

Larry graham=sooner or later

Donald bird=love has come around

Peech boys=dont make me wait

just a few from the collection.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source