Castaways Liar Liar

• Replies 50
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I,VE HAD QUITE A FEW OF THESE ON SOMA & THEY ALWAYS SELL WELL ON EVILBAY,BUT HAD NOT REALISED IT WAS ON THIS LABEL TOO .ONE TO ADD TO THE 6TH EDITION PRICE GUIDE JOHN AS IT IS NOT LISTED.

KEV

A great, great record which I eventually heard by accident. I always loved it but classed it as just a great pop record. I thought it was almost Northern Soul but always kept it in the pop section in my collection. It had a bit of a resurgence when it was used in "Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" to great effect.

It was only recently when I was doing some research that I found out that it used to be played at The Wheel, which kinda makes perfect sense really. Who were the Castaways? Does anyone know the history of this record?

Ian D :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

3524740533_0b0bc522bd.jpg

The Castaways

Their first and only hit single was "Liar, Liar". Written by band leader James Donna and Denny Craswell, produced by Timothy D. Kehr and released by Soma Records, it reached number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1965. "Liar, Liar" is featured in the films Good Morning, Vietnam and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. The Castaways may be seen performing "Liar, Liar" in the 1967 beach movie, It's a Bikini World.

:lol: I was at a soul night in the 80's when this was played - cleared the floor BUT The Vogues - Five o' Clock World was also played that night , and people loved it - both of which are in the film Good Morning Vietnam

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

I,VE HAD QUITE A FEW OF THESE ON SOMA & THEY ALWAYS SELL WELL ON EVILBAY,BUT HAD NOT REALISED IT WAS ON THIS LABEL TOO .ONE TO ADD TO THE 6TH EDITION PRICE GUIDE JOHN AS IT IS NOT LISTED.

KEV

Kev,

It's not listed because LANA is a re-issue (bootleg) label. But maybe I should add it to PG6 with a reference as a bootleg. We sell it for a tenner even though this boot is far rarer than the original Soma release. LANA did a few Northern Soul related re-releases 1. Reflections - Romeo & Juliet etc 2. Inez & Charlie Foxx etc.

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Kev,

It's not listed because LANA is a re-issue (bootleg) label. But maybe I should add it to PG6 with a reference as a bootleg. We sell it for a tenner even though this boot is far rarer than the original Soma release. LANA did a few Northern Soul related re-releases 1. Reflections - Romeo & Juliet etc 2. Inez & Charlie Foxx etc.

John

I've never been sure exactly what was released on this Label,

However, Here's Dobie Gray

Lana_138-A.jpgLana_138-B.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi

i thought ii would mention the uk london release is a faster more dancer friendly version, all the us ones i have heard are a slower different arrangement, great tune though :thumbsup:

I've just played my London stock copy and demo, my Soma stocker and three different CD-fications of ''Liar, Liar' - they're all absolutely identical, with no tempo or arrangement differences whatsoever.

Can you perhaps post up the 'slower, different arrangement' that you reckon is on the US copy? I'd love to hear it, if it exists....:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Yes, it was a wheel and Mod scene spin, I also think some djs speed it up as I've heard it played faster than how the 45 sounds at home....

I saw this thread last night and looked for my copy to play it but it's all but disappeared (if you saw my husbands's record room.you'd understand why I can't find it!). If anybody has a spare please let me know:thumbsup: And no doubt mine will turn up the minute I paypal the cash:lol:

Social source share

Yes, it was a wheel and Mod scene spin, I also think some djs speed it up as I've heard it played faster than how the 45 sounds at home....

I saw this thread last night and looked for my copy to play it but it's all but disappeared (if you saw my husbands's record room.you'd understand why I can't find it!). If anybody has a spare please let me know:thumbsup: And no doubt mine will turn up the minute I paypal the cash:lol:

Yes defo a Twisted Wheel spin, remember getting a copy around 1971 from one of the guys who used to go who lived a few doors away from me.

Social source share

I've just played my London stock copy and demo, my Soma stocker and three different CD-fications of ''Liar, Liar' - they're all absolutely identical, with no tempo or arrangement differences whatsoever.

Can you perhaps post up the 'slower, different arrangement' that you reckon is on the US copy? I'd love to hear it, if it exists....:hatsoff2:

This isn't one of those "Liar Liar Pants On Fire" situations is it? :thumbup:

Isn't irony great? :thumbsup:

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

Kev,

John

[/quote

THANKS JOHN , WILL QUOTE AS SUCH WHEN I SELL IT ON .

KEV

Social source share

I'm amazed that this is being discussed, I mean it's a brilliant garage punk record but I've never heard it played as a soul record or even heard of it being played at a venue.

You're 100% right Pete. I never considered it a Soul record but it was played at the Wheel and I can see why. Good floorfiller in it's day I reckon.....

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I'm amazed that this is being discussed, I mean it's a brilliant garage punk record but I've never heard it played as a soul record or even heard of it being played at a venue.

pet,

used to play this at the mod/soul nights at the long acres during the early 80's along with "in the nighttime" by the strangeloves. its white, its west coast garage as we say and as a backdrop for films its a "hairs on the back of your neck" spine tingler....i think a responsible dj could get away with playing this at a northern soul night, when the crowd is jumping/up for it.......HONESTLY, its no different from the human beinz and HOW GOOD and from a refreshingly different angle, did that sound in KILL BILL?.

Social source share

pet,

used to play this at the mod/soul nights at the long acres during the early 80's along with "in the nighttime" by the strangeloves. its white, its west coast garage as we say and as a backdrop for films its a "hairs on the back of your neck" spine tingler....i think a responsible dj could get away with playing this at a northern soul night, when the crowd is jumping/up for it.......HONESTLY, its no different from the human beinz and HOW GOOD and from a refreshingly different angle, did that sound in KILL BILL?.

Sorry Rob can't see it, Human Beinz is out and out northern, this is just garage.

Agree about Kill Bill, really took me by surprise.

Social source share

Not as good as Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich's "Hold Tight" did in "Deathproof"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIwiUXCA6W0

Ian D :)

note a big space there ian,......was that a sharp intake of breath perchance? :lol: :lol: is that a pop-art film then?:ohmy:

what was the yardbirds track in "blow-up"?

have you heard the john barry instrumenal theme to "the beat girl" starring adam faith & shirley ann field?

Social source share

note a big space there ian,......was that a sharp intake of breath perchance? :lol: :lol: is that a pop-art film then?:ohmy:

Nah, it was the Tarrantino 'Grindhouse' double-bill he did with Robert Rodriguez. Tarrantino's just great with music isn't he? So inventive......

Anyway whatever happened to the Castaways then? I thought had they had a pretty unique sound.....

Ian D :)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

what was the yardbirds track in "blow-up"?

In the credits it's called 'Stroll On' but it's actually a version of Tiny Bradshaw's "The Train Kept A Rollin", done in the style of the Johnny Burnette Trio's version of that song...

Here's the Yardbirds;

...and here's Johnny:

...and for good measure here's Tiny:

...and finally, here are the Yardbirds again, actually playing 'The Train Kept A Rollin'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOheWvkjq78&feature=related

...enjoy!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Nah, it was the Tarrantino 'Grindhouse' double-bill he did with Robert Rodriguez. Tarrantino's just great with music isn't he? So inventive......

Anyway whatever happened to the Castaways then? I thought had they had a pretty unique sound.....

Ian D :ohmy:

They survived several personnel and label changes, and kept making records almost to the end of the 60s. Their version of Goldie and the Gingerbreads' "Walking In Different Circles" (Fontana - 1968/9) is pretty good...

Social source share

Ian D :ohmy:

liar,liar...a bit of chantays/surfaris but with the added ingredient....words!

Social source share

pet,

Big Mod record in the eighties well before its use in films..........was in the same parking bay as 7 Dwarfs,Let Me Stand Next To Fire,Mr Dynamite,Berts Apple Crumble,Bobby Bland-Honeychild,Perpetual Motion,Shadows Of Knight-Shake,Ray Barretto(Drummers and Mercy Baby),Maximillion-The Snake (a lot of Del Shannon records bought for the mispress lol),Derek Martin-If You Go,Bel Cantos,Buena Vistas-TNT,Jerry Lee Lewis-Shotgun Man,The Quik,Untamed-My Baby Is Gone/Gimme Some Shade,Darrow Fletcher (Pain),Billy Stewart-Secret Lover, Rumblers, Detours-Pieces Of You (Inst Hanging On) etc etc...all mixed up............take a bow Dom Bassett and Ian Jackson.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Can you perhaps post up the 'slower, different arrangement' that you reckon is on the US copy? I'd love to hear it, if it exists....:rolleyes:

There is a slower version which is played on the mod scene, it's quite nice and it's by Los Iberos - Liar Liar - Discos Columbia

Social source share

OK, so that's both the Wheel and the Scene that played it, so a bona-fide spin after all.

Ian D :yes:

Yes, definitely remember it getting plays back in 1966 in my local disco, mind you at that time the big pop tunes were played alongside the soul stuff...in fact I think my London issue came from that clubs collection...:rolleyes:

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Got this on the Terrific! label. Anyone else seen this? It has the The Gestures-Run Run Run on the flip. Frankford Wayne stamp in the run outs...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Best one on Soma (really a Garage label)

...actually Soma's NOT really a garage label - it;s just a coincidence that the biggest hits to be associated with the label could be clasified as garage-y. There's all sorts on Soma and its associated labels. Bobby Vee's first record was on Soma, as was the original version of the classic Country music 'truckers anthem 'Six Days On The Road' by Dave Dudley (in which he sings about 'taking little white pills and my eyes are open wide' Been there, took those....)

There are a bunch of Polka albums on Soma and a lot of local humourous albums. And that's just scratching the surface.

What there aren't a bunch of on Soma are soul records. Guess black music wasn't big in Minneapolis until Prince rocked up...

Social source share

nuggetscoverf-500x500.jpg

Have this on the above LP.

Great 60's psych track. Couldn't & wouldn't dance to it, so not northern imvho.

WOW!!!........HAVEN'T SEEN THIS FOR AGES......TO REFRESH THE MEMORY, WOULD YOU MIND POSTING UP THE TRACK LISTING PLEASE??

this has now, got to be quite rare along with the pebbles and choc soup for diabetics collections...they helped make the 2nd mod revival more colourful.

Social source share

TRACK LISTING PLEASE??

The original double-LP included:

Side one

1. The Electric Prunes: "I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)"

2. The Standells: "Dirty Water"

3. The Strangeloves: "Night Time"

4. The Knickerbockers: "Lies"

5. The Vagrants: "Respect"

6. Mouse: "A Public Execution"

7. The Blues Project: "No Time Like the Right Time"

Side two

1. The Shadows of Knight: "Oh Yeah"

2. The Seeds: "Pushin' Too Hard"

3. The Barbarians: "Moulty"

4. The Remains: "Don't Look Back"

5. The Magicians: "An Invitation to Cry"

6. The Castaways: "Liar, Liar"

7. The 13th Floor Elevators: "You're Gonna Miss Me"

Side three

1. Count Five: "Psychotic Reaction"

2. The Leaves: "Hey Joe"

3. Michael and the Messengers: "Romeo & Juliet"

4. The Cryan' Shames: "Sugar and Spice"

5. The Amboy Dukes: "Baby Please Don't Go"

6. Blues Magoos: "Tobacco Road"

Side four

1. The Chocolate Watchband: "Let's Talk About Girls"

2. The Mojo Men: "Sit Down, I Think I Love You"

3. The Third Rail: "Run, Run, Run"

4. Sagittarius: "My World Fell Down"

5. Nazz: "Open My Eyes"

6. The Premiers: "Farmer John"

7. The Magic Mushrooms: "It's-a-Happening"

And the Rhino 4-CD box set added:

CD2

1. The Music Machine: "Talk Talk" (#15)

2. The Del-Vetts: "Last Time Around"

3. The Human Beinz: "Nobody but Me" (#8)

4. Kenny & the Kasuals: "Journey to Tyme"

5. The Sparkles: "No Friend of Mine"

6. The Turtles: "Outside Chance" (written by lyme & cybelle)

7. The Litter: "Action Woman"

8. The Elastik Band: "Spazz"

9. The Chocolate Watchband: "Sweet Young Thing"

10. Strawberry Alarm Clock: "Incense and Peppermints" (#1)

11. The Brogues: "I Ain't No Miracle Worker"

12. Love: "7 and 7 Is" (#33)

13. The Outsiders: "Time Won't Let Me" (#5)

14. The Squires: "Going All the Way"

15. The Shadows of Knight: "I'm Gonna Make You Mine" (#90)

16. Kim Fowley: "The Trip"

17. The Seeds: "Can't Seem to Make You Mine" (#41)

18. The Remains: "Why Do I Cry"

19. The Beau Brummels: "Laugh, Laugh" (#15)

20. The Nightcrawlers: "The Little Black Egg" (#85)

21. The Gants: "I Wonder"

22. The Five Americans: "I See the Light" (#26)

23. The Woolies: "Who Do You Love" (#95)

24. Swingin' Medallions: "Double Shot (Of My Baby's Love)" (#17)

25. The Merry-Go-Round: "Live" (#63)

26. Paul Revere & the Raiders: "Steppin' Out" (#46)

27. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band: "Diddy Wah Diddy"

28. The Sonics: "Strychnine"

29. Syndicate of Sound: "Little Girl" (#8)

30. Blues Magoos: "(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet" (#5)

31. Max Frost and the Troopers: "Shape of Things to Come" (#22)

CD3

1. The Hombres: "Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out)" (#12)

2. The Golliwogs: "Fight Fire"

3. New Colony Six: "At the River's Edge"

4. The Daily Flash: "Jack of Diamonds"

5. lyme & cybelle: "Follow Me" (#65)

6. The Choir: "It's Cold Outside" (#68)

7. The Rare Breed: "Beg, Borrow and Steal"

8. Sir Douglas Quintet: "She's About a Mover" (#13)

9. The Music Explosion: "Little Bit o' Soul" (#2)

10. The "E" Types: "Put the Clock Back on the Wall"

11. The Palace Guard: "Falling Sugar"

12. The Gestures: "Run, Run, Run"

13. The Rationals: "I Need You"

14. The Humane Society: "Knock, Knock"

15. The Groupies: "Primitive"

16. The Sonics: "Psycho"

17. The Lyrics: "So What!!"

18. The Lollipop Shoppe: "You Must Be a Witch"

19. The Balloon Farm: "A Question of Temperature" (#37)

20. Mouse and the Traps: "Maid of Sugar - Maid of Spice"

21. The Uniques: "You Ain't Tuff"

22. The Standells: "Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White" (#43)

23. The Mojo Men: "She's My Baby"

24. Unrelated Segments: "Story of My Life"

25. The Third Bardo: "I'm Five Years Ahead of My Time"

26. We The People: "Mirror of Your Mind"

27. The Shadows of Knight: "Bad Little Woman" (#91)

28. The Music Machine: "Double Yellow Line"

29. The Human Expression: "Optical Sound"

30. The Amboy Dukes: "Journey to the Center of the Mind" (#16)

CD 4

1. The Chocolate Watchband: "Are You Gonna Be There (At the Love-In)"

2. The Leaves: "Too Many People"

3. The Brigands: "(Would I Still Be) Her Big Man"

4. The Barbarians: "Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl" (#55)

5. Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs: "Wooly Bully" (#2)

6. The Strangeloves: "I Want Candy" (#11)

7. The Kingsmen: "Louie Louie" (#2)

8. The Knickerbockers: "One Track Mind" (#46)

9. The Wailers: "Out of Our Tree"

10. Harbinger Complex: "I Think I'm Down"

11. The Dovers: "What Am I Going to Do"

12. The Charlatans: "Codine"

13. The Mystery Trend: "Johnny Was a Good Boy"

14. Clefs of Lavender Hill: "Stop - Get a Ticket" (#80)

15. The Monks: "Complication"

16. The Sonics: "The Witch"

17. The Electric Prunes: "Get Me to the World on Time" (#27)

18. The Other Half: "Mr. Pharmacist"

19. Richard and the Young Lions: "Open Up Your Door" (#99)

20. Paul Revere & the Raiders: "Just Like Me" (#11)

21. We The People: "You Burn Me Up and Down"

22. The Lemon Drops: "I Live in the Springtime"

23. Fenwyck: "Mindrocker"

24. The Rumors: "Hold Me Now"

25. The Underdogs: "Love's Gone Bad" (#122)

26. The Standells: "Why Pick on Me" (#54)

27. The Zakary Thaks: "Bad Girl"

28. GONN: "Blackout of Gretely"

29. The Bees: "Voices Green and Purple"

30. Davie Allan & the Arrows: "Blues' Theme" (#37)

Essential stuff pretty much the lot of it! :yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The original double-LP included:

Side one

1. The Electric Prunes: "I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)"

2. The Standells: "Dirty Water"

3. The Strangeloves: "Night Time"

4. The Knickerbockers: "Lies"

5. The Vagrants: "Respect"

6. Mouse: "A Public Execution"

7. The Blues Project: "No Time Like the Right Time"

Side two

1. The Shadows of Knight: "Oh Yeah"

2. The Seeds: "Pushin' Too Hard"

3. The Barbarians: "Moulty"

4. The Remains: "Don't Look Back"

5. The Magicians: "An Invitation to Cry"

6. The Castaways: "Liar, Liar"

7. The 13th Floor Elevators: "You're Gonna Miss Me"

Side three

1. Count Five: "Psychotic Reaction"

2. The Leaves: "Hey Joe"

3. Michael and the Messengers: "Romeo & Juliet"

4. The Cryan' Shames: "Sugar and Spice"

5. The Amboy Dukes: "Baby Please Don't Go"

6. Blues Magoos: "Tobacco Road"

Side four

1. The Chocolate Watchband: "Let's Talk About Girls"

2. The Mojo Men: "Sit Down, I Think I Love You"

3. The Third Rail: "Run, Run, Run"

4. Sagittarius: "My World Fell Down"

5. Nazz: "Open My Eyes"

6. The Premiers: "Farmer John"

7. The Magic Mushrooms: "It's-a-Happening"

And the Rhino 4-CD box set added:

CD2

1. The Music Machine: "Talk Talk" (#15)

2. The Del-Vetts: "Last Time Around"

3. The Human Beinz: "Nobody but Me" (#8)

4. Kenny & the Kasuals: "Journey to Tyme"

5. The Sparkles: "No Friend of Mine"

6. The Turtles: "Outside Chance" (written by lyme & cybelle)

7. The Litter: "Action Woman"

8. The Elastik Band: "Spazz"

9. The Chocolate Watchband: "Sweet Young Thing"

10. Strawberry Alarm Clock: "Incense and Peppermints" (#1)

11. The Brogues: "I Ain't No Miracle Worker"

12. Love: "7 and 7 Is" (#33)

13. The Outsiders: "Time Won't Let Me" (#5)

14. The Squires: "Going All the Way"

15. The Shadows of Knight: "I'm Gonna Make You Mine" (#90)

16. Kim Fowley: "The Trip"

17. The Seeds: "Can't Seem to Make You Mine" (#41)

18. The Remains: "Why Do I Cry"

19. The Beau Brummels: "Laugh, Laugh" (#15)

20. The Nightcrawlers: "The Little Black Egg" (#85)

21. The Gants: "I Wonder"

22. The Five Americans: "I See the Light" (#26)

23. The Woolies: "Who Do You Love" (#95)

24. Swingin' Medallions: "Double Shot (Of My Baby's Love)" (#17)

25. The Merry-Go-Round: "Live" (#63)

26. Paul Revere & the Raiders: "Steppin' Out" (#46)

27. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band: "Diddy Wah Diddy"

28. The Sonics: "Strychnine"

29. Syndicate of Sound: "Little Girl" (#8)

30. Blues Magoos: "(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet" (#5)

31. Max Frost and the Troopers: "Shape of Things to Come" (#22)

CD3

1. The Hombres: "Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out)" (#12)

2. The Golliwogs: "Fight Fire"

3. New Colony Six: "At the River's Edge"

4. The Daily Flash: "Jack of Diamonds"

5. lyme & cybelle: "Follow Me" (#65)

6. The Choir: "It's Cold Outside" (#68)

7. The Rare Breed: "Beg, Borrow and Steal"

8. Sir Douglas Quintet: "She's About a Mover" (#13)

9. The Music Explosion: "Little Bit o' Soul" (#2)

10. The "E" Types: "Put the Clock Back on the Wall"

11. The Palace Guard: "Falling Sugar"

12. The Gestures: "Run, Run, Run"

13. The Rationals: "I Need You"

14. The Humane Society: "Knock, Knock"

15. The Groupies: "Primitive"

16. The Sonics: "Psycho"

17. The Lyrics: "So What!!"

18. The Lollipop Shoppe: "You Must Be a Witch"

19. The Balloon Farm: "A Question of Temperature" (#37)

20. Mouse and the Traps: "Maid of Sugar - Maid of Spice"

21. The Uniques: "You Ain't Tuff"

22. The Standells: "Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White" (#43)

23. The Mojo Men: "She's My Baby"

24. Unrelated Segments: "Story of My Life"

25. The Third Bardo: "I'm Five Years Ahead of My Time"

26. We The People: "Mirror of Your Mind"

27. The Shadows of Knight: "Bad Little Woman" (#91)

28. The Music Machine: "Double Yellow Line"

29. The Human Expression: "Optical Sound"

30. The Amboy Dukes: "Journey to the Center of the Mind" (#16)

CD 4

1. The Chocolate Watchband: "Are You Gonna Be There (At the Love-In)"

2. The Leaves: "Too Many People"

3. The Brigands: "(Would I Still Be) Her Big Man"

4. The Barbarians: "Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl" (#55)

5. Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs: "Wooly Bully" (#2)

6. The Strangeloves: "I Want Candy" (#11)

7. The Kingsmen: "Louie Louie" (#2)

8. The Knickerbockers: "One Track Mind" (#46)

9. The Wailers: "Out of Our Tree"

10. Harbinger Complex: "I Think I'm Down"

11. The Dovers: "What Am I Going to Do"

12. The Charlatans: "Codine"

13. The Mystery Trend: "Johnny Was a Good Boy"

14. Clefs of Lavender Hill: "Stop - Get a Ticket" (#80)

15. The Monks: "Complication"

16. The Sonics: "The Witch"

17. The Electric Prunes: "Get Me to the World on Time" (#27)

18. The Other Half: "Mr. Pharmacist"

19. Richard and the Young Lions: "Open Up Your Door" (#99)

20. Paul Revere & the Raiders: "Just Like Me" (#11)

21. We The People: "You Burn Me Up and Down"

22. The Lemon Drops: "I Live in the Springtime"

23. Fenwyck: "Mindrocker"

24. The Rumors: "Hold Me Now"

25. The Underdogs: "Love's Gone Bad" (#122)

26. The Standells: "Why Pick on Me" (#54)

27. The Zakary Thaks: "Bad Girl"

28. GONN: "Blackout of Gretely"

29. The Bees: "Voices Green and Purple"

30. Davie Allan & the Arrows: "Blues' Theme" (#37)

Essential stuff pretty much the lot of it! :yes:

Hands up anyone on here who has more than around 100 of these tracks on singles....

...guess that'll be just you and me, then, Sebastian!:yes:

Social source share

Hands up anyone on here who has more than around 100 of these tracks on singles....

...guess that'll be just you and me, then, Sebastian!:yes:

Haha! :thumbup: Have never really counted... but just did and realised that I have 68 of those tunes on original 45s. :yes: :yes:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Haha! :yes: Have never really counted... but just did and realised that I have 68 of those tunes on original 45s. :yes: :yes:

Now that I've counted properly I find that I only have 96 (98 if you include the Blues Magoos and Amboy Dukes tracks that were album-only). Apologies for the exaggeration...:thumbup:

I can remember being so thrilled when I finally got a copy of Mouse on Fraternity about 10 years ago, one that enabled me to 'complete the set' from the original vinyl double after nearly 30 years of trying.

And I still think that the first side of the original vinyl Nuggets is one of the greatest compilatons of music that has ever been assembled by anyone, anythime...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Got this on the Terrific! label. Anyone else seen this? It has the The Gestures-Run Run Run on the flip. Frankford Wayne stamp in the run outs...

Same label as Don & Juan All that's missing is you? Thought it was NY-based reissue/bootleg label?

Social source share

Lots of great sounds there but not too much rare in terms of getting them all if you feel like it, Gonn and the Bees aren't cheap but by rare garage standards not crazy tough. Now collecting the contents of Back from the Grave on the other hand...:thumbsup: Agree on the Seeds but have occasionally played out a female Brazilian version (Wanderlea) of it but def not at soul nights.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I see 'The Underdogs - Love's Gone Bad' on the Rhino CD....how did that happen? Motown owned surely?

Yes, it is Motown owned - but what;s that got to do with anything? Motown (or Universal) simply licensed it to Rhino, the same way that other companies licensed tracks to 'em for the box.

How do you think we would put most Ace, Kent and BGP CD's together without licensing?

Social source share

...guess that'll be just you and me, then, Sebastian!:thumbsup:

Am I allowed to use we in the context that what is his is mine?:thumbsup:

If that's a yes then the answer is probably yes...:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Am I allowed to use we in the context that what is his is mine?:thumbsup:

If that's a yes then the answer is probably yes...:thumbsup:

A man of exquisite taste - in every department - is your Richard...:thumbsup:

Social source share

A man of exquisite taste - in every department - is your Richard...:thumbsup:

Well I will have to agree with that ha ha...although I would prefer if he was more of a sky blue!

Actually, I prefer naz nomad's version of I had too much to dream..I love that lp :-) I'm sure I don't have to tell you who Naz Nomad really are :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Lots of great sounds there but not too much rare in terms of getting them all if you feel like it, Gonn and the Bees aren't cheap but by rare garage standards not crazy tough.

...Perhaps they're not so rare now with the advent of eBay and the general affordability of flights to the USA - but when the original 'Nuggets' double came out that was most certainly not the case.

It's easy to say things like 'not much rare' with the benefit of nearly 40 years of hindsight working for you, but very few of these records were found in every used record store or junk shop or record list in 1973. You have my word on that...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!