How Many Records Arrive At Your House Per Week?

Mark Jones

I've been accused of having an addiction...."why are you buying records that you just put in a box?"

They may have a point but I explain it's a passion as well as a hobby...but they still go away expecting me to download the mp3 off itunes instead.

Anyway I digress...I reckon I'm quite conservative (deffo not politically!) and only have about one to one point five records arriving "to put in the box" per week.

Some top drawer expensive (600 quid my limit)... others not at all.....yes I do spend too much of my income on vinyl when I should be sorting my house out but what the hell I'm a bloke with a 28 year old soul passion!

So are you spending too much of your income on vinyl (or styrene for that matter) too?

Surely the new 3 piece suite can wait can't it?....so am I addicted?

P.S....can you tell I'm single lol

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

records.jpg

No you are not alone !!! , before my new born son arrived 6 mnths ago , I was getting an lp a day delivered , however I have fully embraced fatherhood again !!!for the second time, and now it's about 2 lp's a week , addiction ? - never ! - compulsive disorder - mmmmm , !!!!! :lol:

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

You're all victims of some kind of compulsive disorder. I know. I used to suffer from this myself (and, to a certain extent, I still do) so I recognise the symptons. There's nothing quite as reassuring as a room full of vinyl. It somehow defines us as serious people with a passion for music , which we obviously are.

But make no mistake. It's basically a psychological disorder. Most people would be happy enough to listen to the same tune a few times for 69p via I-Tunes. However, there's a curious breed of folk that insist on investing 1000's of pounds on owning a piece of original vinyl, which is obviously compulsive behaviour. Serious art collectors are exactly the same. Social misfits. It's difficult to try and explain the kind of passion that would happily pay £2000 for a piece of plastic to your next door neighbour for instance. They simply wouldn't get it.

I think the mere act of being able to go online and be able to order up lots of records whenever you want, is simply the internet providing us with the perfect opportunity to pander to our whims, which is dangerous stuff to everyone reading this thread.

Seek help. Quickly.

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

You're all victims of some kind of compulsive disorder. I know. I used to suffer from this myself (and, to a certain extent, I still do) so I recognise the symptons. There's nothing quite as reassuring as a room full of vinyl. It somehow defines us as serious people with a passion for music , which we obviously are.

But make no mistake. It's basically a psychological disorder. Most people would be happy enough to listen to the same tune a few times for 69p via I-Tunes. However, there's a curious breed of folk that insist on investing 1000's of pounds on owning a piece of original vinyl, which is obviously compulsive behaviour. Serious art collectors are exactly the same. Social misfits. It's difficult to try and explain the kind of passion that would happily pay £2000 for a piece of plastic to your next door neighbour for instance. They simply wouldn't get it.

I think the mere act of being able to go online and be able to order up lots of records whenever you want, is simply the internet providing us with the perfect opportunity to pander to our whims, which is dangerous stuff to everyone reading this thread.

Seek help. Quickly.

Ian D :lol:

So John Manship is basically a huge enabler? :yes:

Yeah, it is a fetishist disorder. And I'm proud of it. Some people might find reassuring the number of songs on their iTunes, but I don't. A closed parcel waiting for me at home, on the other hand...

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

3 WEEKS WORTH, mmmmmmmmmmm, i used to try and hide the cardboard mailers. it got hard so a good excuse is " its for our future darling". cant say that will work for everyone............IT DIDNT FOR ME

post-20010-057380100 1285980022_thumb.jp

post-20010-060960200 1285979842_thumb.jp

Social source share

So John Manship is basically a huge enabler? :lol:

Yeah, it is a fetishist disorder. And I'm proud of it. Some people might find reassuring the number of songs on their iTunes, but I don't. A closed parcel waiting for me at home, on the other hand...

Oh yeah, John Manship is very much part of the problem. In the distant future such blatant commercial targetting of disfunctional plastic freaks will be frowned upon by the general populace. It's really not that healthy when you look at the stats.....

I totally have to agree on the i-tunes point though. How much emotional resonance can one get from a music file compared to holding the original 7" single?

See! There I go again. We desperately need a 12 step vinyl rehab programme and we need it NOW!

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

Guest welshruss

A couple of years ago i introduced my wife to Pat Brady....the conversation went like this -

Wife - "aah so your the man that sends all those pakages to him ! "

Pat - "What you have to remember is,,that these are investments for the future"."Why gamble with stocks and bonds when you buy these,they are a solid investment".

Unfortunately she was having none of it - but accepts that i have a problem....bit like OCD really.and just lets me get on with it !

And in answer to the question - two 12s and a CD this week..

Edited by welshruss
Social source share

Its just the love of soul music full stop. I get only one or two a week(building up a collection again after selling a goldmine of records a few years back).

Nothin expensive but still quality sounds these days. But still get the other half asking how much was this and that , to which i reply got this for a five or ten quid but its

worth 30,50(sometimes100) also throw in the magic word investment. Does she believe me? The good thing is she loves the music as well so if likes a certain record

shell ask if i can obtain it. Shes got a collection now of 5 records(cheep boots off ebay, keeps her happy ).

I can imagine the investment phase is the most popular exuse used, but the way things are going well all be millionaires!

Anyway going onto ebay and check some lists for some more litte soul gems.

Social source share

Seek help. Quickly.

Ian D :thumbsup:

Ian ......the male of the species ,since cave man days ,is and always will be a "trophy hunter"

collecting records is no different from the early days when man drew a picture on a cave wall to show off his latest kill or hunters hanging animals heads /furs on walls.

I read that somwhere a long time back ,hence the reason there are more male collectors than woman :hatsoff2:

And correct me if im wrong .....most female collectors prefer to be in the company of men than other women:wicked:

could be worse ....some blokes collect woman and put notches on the bed post ,so next time the wife has a go ...point that out:thumbup:

Social source share

could be worse ....some blokes collect woman and put notches on the bed post ,so next time the wife has a go ...point that out:thumbup:

Not a good idea Kev. After I'd got the record obsession thing out of my system in '77 I started collecting women but that turned out to be more expensive then the bloody record collecting! :hatsoff2:

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

I've been accused of having an addiction...."why are you buying records that you just put in a box?"

They may have a point but I explain it's a passion as well as a hobby...but they still go away expecting me to download the mp3 off itunes instead.

Anyway I digress...I reckon I'm quite conservative (deffo not politically!) and only have about one to one point five records arriving "to put in the box" per week.

Some top drawer expensive (600 quid my limit)... others not at all.....yes I do spend too much of my income on vinyl when I should be sorting my house out but what the hell I'm a bloke with a 28 year old soul passion!

So are you spending too much of your income on vinyl (or styrene for that matter) too?

1 A WEEK FOR THE LAST 4WEEKS BILLY LOL

Social source share

I have phases , 2-3 a week the last couple of weeks , might go a month without anything then. Once said to my wife at a soul nite " can i have £100 for a record ive just seen". ...she then proceeded to get her purse out without hesitation.....aaah bless....she's a good'un....I said only kiddin , just testin the water. Lol.

Social source share

:D - you are not the only one .................

I have cut down my spending on records , but old habits still die hard . I tend to do my shopping " personally " these days - picking tunes up on my travels / at nights etc - rather than have them delivered through the mail .

When I come in and have a new record or records to play , Lady B just shakes her head and smiles , telling me that when I am gone , she will give them away to the rag and bone man :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

:D - you are not the only one .................

I have cut down my spending on records , but old habits still die hard . I tend to do my shopping " personally " these days - picking tunes up on my travels / at nights etc - rather than have them delivered through the mail .

When I come in and have a new record or records to play , Lady B just shakes her head and smiles , telling me that when I am gone , she will give them away to the rag and bone man :thumbsup:

Malc

laugh.giflaugh.gif As you know di collects as well malc, so i usually soften the blow, by purchasing one for her at the same timelaugh.gif, maybe a slight price difference at times, but that often works both ways, as she`s on to me now and does the same backlaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Ebay account at 20.50 Sunday night:

waiting for delivery of 10

Waiting for joint postage reduction to pay for 2

Winning bids on 4 finishing tonight.

It's not a problem, I've got it under control, I've just got a bit of cold this week.

I have times I try to quit but then think I don't want to.

Social source share

Ebay account at 20.50 Sunday night:

waiting for delivery of 10

Waiting for joint postage reduction to pay for 2

Winning bids on 4 finishing tonight.

It's not a problem, I've got it under control, I've just got a bit of cold this week.

I have times I try to quit but then think I don't want to.

you could just say no....but maybe THEY * won't let you.:rolleyes::yes: .

* (Soul Police).

Social source share

picked up 7 parcels last week ,best solution which i have just put into practise is get a po box close to your work n pick em up from there ,throw the mailers in bin at work n sneak the 45s in your bag ,job done ,wife none the wiser:yes: :rolleyes:

:yes: my postie used to live 3 doors away from me and gives me a shout to collect my record parcels from him direct, the amount i used to smuggle in was amazing, the hardest bit was getting rid of the evidence (mailers!)

back to the subject now average around 3 records per week, ive cut down recently

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!