• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Being demolished this weekend

RIP mate....happy days

2533576289_9231103433.jpg?v=0

Another set of memories to be reduced to rubble .

I hope you will get yourself a brick Mr D .......

Malc

Social source share

No Malc.... the memories are yours to keep!! :(

" Another set of memories to be reduced to rubble "

Poetic license in the respect of an association with bricks , mortar and an piece of land , as opposed to ones that are inside your head and recalled .

Malc

Social source share

" Another set of memories to be reduced to rubble "

Poetic license in the respect of an association with bricks , mortar and an piece of land , as opposed to ones that are inside your head and recalled .

Malc

Sorry Malc.... I wasn't being pedantic with my comment! :yes: well not intentionally anyway!,

:lol: Poetic license belongs to anyone who dares to claim it! :(

I think I may regret saying that .... but the devil made me do it! lol :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest martyn

The laughs we used to have in that cloakroom..........and actually getting there in Guy Warners white Maxi!! :yes::D

I got nicked outside The Wirrina for having 8 people in my white mini , one of whom was the man mountain Mick Lewin with his broken leg in plaster sticking out the window .I had some bird sat on my lap as I drove & Jimmy Hunter was in the boot which we had tied shut with string to prevent him falling out .Karen Saville was the voice of reason , she suggested that I left the chaning of gears (no pun intended ) to Kev York cos he could reach better from the back seat hanging on top of everyone into the front .If it were not for Karen we may well have crashed at some point between Kettering Central Hall Aldayer & The Wirrina Allnighter :yes:

:D To Karen wherever she may be

Social source share

Lovely tale Martyn. That W logo above the entrance would be cool. This photo is of the side door, right? The original all-nighter was held in the ballroom on the other side of the building. The carpeted foyer crammed with people selling records, dancers piling in and out of the ballroom, stamping feet in unison to esther phillips and the the world column. Fond memories of ranting away in the queue with Sharon and Smasher from Cambridge, and the rest of the Boro' crowd of course. Happy memories indeed Paul.

Social source share

Many, many fond memories of nights at The Wirrina..

One occassion being when our motley crew, and aged 15 at the time, were amongst the first through the doors one evening and, as we were paying our door tax, 'The Trip' came on the decks. Once through the doors to the main hall I slid my adidas bag out onto the dance floor and quickly followed it - dancing for it's entirety before even taking me coat off !! Needless to say if ever I hear Dave Mitchell & The Screamers tune these days I'm immediately transported back to that wonderful moment in my personal Soul history. :rolleyes:

Another time - and shortly after coming out of hospital, having recently suffered the loss of my digits, I was in the 'second room' and merrily dancing away (can't remember the tune though..) when I went into one of my spins. Nothing wrong with the spin but the bandages covering my recently damaged hands all flew off, and into the faces and bodies of those dancing in close proximity. Whilst I don't remember the song being played - I'll never forget the looks on those poor soulie peeps' faces.. Still brings a smile to my face whenever I think of that episode. :thumbup:

Or, how about the night before I was emigrating to the US, with my plane from Heathrow leaving at 10.30 the following day - talk about a mad dash !! - and again in the main hall. A night when a small group of p**sheads had gained entry.. I was happily minding my own business - hands still in bandages from my accident - and walking back via the dance floor to where our crew was seated, when from out of nowhere came one of the aforementioned p**swa*ks and CHINNED ME !! :lol:W.T.F. !!! :lol::yes: I mean - it wasn't as if I was in a position to clout the fooker back, was it !! :lol: Thankfully though one of my elder brothers mates very quickly, & followed by said brother (Ada..), came to my rescue. The nobheads were ousted very soon after - followed by a small posse of Soulies that provided the offenders with a lasting reminder of why, perhaps, the Wirrina Soul do's were NOT their kind of gig. :lol: I remember spending the 7 hour flight to Chicago nursing a very sore chin, though.. :thumbup:

Hoh.. The memories !!

Social source share

Many, many fond memories of nights at The Wirrina..

One occassion being when our motley crew, and aged 15 at the time, were amongst the first through the doors one evening and, as we were paying our door tax, 'The Trip' came on the decks. Once through the doors to the main hall I slid my adidas bag out onto the dance floor and quickly followed it - dancing for it's entirety before even taking me coat off !! Needless to say if ever I hear Dave Mitchell & The Screamers tune these days I'm immediately transported back to that wonderful moment in my personal Soul history. :rolleyes:

Another time - and shortly after coming out of hospital, having recently suffered the loss of my digits, I was in the 'second room' and merrily dancing away (can't remember the tune though..) when I went into one of my spins. Nothing wrong with the spin but the bandages covering my recently damaged hands all flew off, and into the faces and bodies of those dancing in close proximity. Whilst I don't remember the song being played - I'll never forget the looks on those poor soulie peeps' faces.. Still brings a smile to my face whenever I think of that episode. :thumbup:

Or, how about the night before I was emigrating to the US, with my plane from Heathrow leaving at 10.30 the following day - talk about a mad dash !! - and again in the main hall. A night when a small group of p**sheads had gained entry.. I was happily minding my own business - hands still in bandages from my accident - and walking back via the dance floor to where our crew was seated, when from out of nowhere came one of the aforementioned p**swa*ks and CHINNED ME !! :lol:W.T.F. !!! :lol::yes: I mean - it wasn't as if I was in a position to clout the fooker back, was it !! :lol: Thankfully though one of my elder brothers mates very quickly, & followed by said brother (Ada..), came to my rescue. The nobheads were ousted very soon after - followed by a small posse of Soulies that provided the offenders with a lasting reminder of why, perhaps, the Wirrina Soul do's were NOT their kind of gig. :lol: I remember spending the 7 hour flight to Chicago nursing a very sore chin, though.. :thumbup:

Hoh.. The memories !!

Oh yes Johnny fond memories and all good of those happy day's mate. In fact i was discussing the Wirrina last week while back in the U.K. with my mate Martin Allpress who was resp[onsible for getting me into this wonderful scene of ours and he mentioned the first time I went to the Wirrina and my initiation with northern soul. It was a tuesday night in the small room to the right as you walked in the doors.There I stood in a green suit ( purchased from prince albert ), white stair carpet tie, and white stack shoes looking a right twat watching all my mates, people like Spenna, Smudge et al spinning and backdropping to an awesome beat. That was it, the suit went in the bin the next day and off i went to Derby market that weekend and bought a pair of baggies and a cap teeshirt. As they say ' The rest is history '. Sad to see another icon of our scene disappear though. Sign of the times i suppose. Back in OZ now, hope to catch up soon. Tony T Bone Edgley, ex Stanground. Now spreading the faith down under.

Social source share

Oh yes Johnny fond memories and all good of those happy day's mate. In fact i was discussing the Wirrina last week while back in the U.K. with my mate Martin Allpress who was resp[onsible for getting me into this wonderful scene of ours and he mentioned the first time I went to the Wirrina and my initiation with northern soul. It was a tuesday night in the small room to the right as you walked in the doors.There I stood in a green suit ( purchased from prince albert ), white stair carpet tie, and white stack shoes looking a right twat watching all my mates, people like Spenna, Smudge et al spinning and backdropping to an awesome beat. That was it, the suit went in the bin the next day and off i went to Derby market that weekend and bought a pair of baggies and a cap teeshirt. As they say ' The rest is history '. Sad to see another icon of our scene disappear though. Sign of the times i suppose. Back in OZ now, hope to catch up soon. Tony T Bone Edgley, ex Stanground. Now spreading the faith down under.

smudge spinning :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I wish i had been able to attend but was born when the best period was. dad went all the time and has memories. we even did a DVD and added about the club. as told dad saw some fantastic music acts there Major Lance, limmie and the Family Cookin, Billy Butler, The Exciters

Social source share

the tuesday nights suinoz refers to were the carousel disco nights, which were funk vs northern vs pop/handbag tunes. smudge was more of a shuffler, if I remember well. bill bingham and johnny carroll used to spin and gary spencer was the acrobat, his then girlfriend girlfriend shirl also used to shuffle, paul donnelly did the twirling leg routine, and rest looked on in awe. a perfect introduction...

Edited by macca
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

remember the welsh boys chris and harry.......getting me out od bed one night with a loud hooting of the car horn.......when l stuck me head out the window they said ya goe 5 mins to get ready.....then we were off to the wirrina. Remember harry smashed the toilet window (think it was the toilet ? ) and we all scrambled in.........having said that great big sports hall........always thought the place was rubbish never mind these things had to be done:thumbsup: peggy

/

Social source share

The nights in the ballroom were fantastic. I remember black guys from USAF Alconbury dancing there in kaftans to the funkier stuff from people like Poke. When it moved into the sports hall due to the crowds, it lost a lot of its appeal, though I wouldn't say it was rubbish. I mean the crowd and the jocks were supposed to make the evening and neither were in short supply.

Edited by macca
Social source share

The nights in the ballroom were fantastic. I remember black guys from USAF Alconbury dancing there in kaftans to the funkier stuff from people like Poke. When it moved into the sports hall due to the crowds, it lost a lot of its appeal, though I wouldn't say it was rubbish. I mean the crowd and the jocks were supposed to make the evening and neither were in short supply.

the rows we had with Mindham when he told us 'we're moving into the gymm" were legendary. The big room was void od anything like the atmosphere the ballroom created when 800 were rammed in, Looking back Mindhams reasoning was always greed, afteralll he was only there for the cash. However to be fair without his input the Phoenix would NEVER have happend.

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

this was a great night, shame Major Lance didn't show but Eddie Holman and Jnr WAlker were terrific:thumbsup: post-16592-003548000 1286380343_thumb.jp

Possibly because he was doing The Assembly Rooms in Boston :thumbsup:

Seriously , ML's non - appearance at the time , was a result of it being during his infamous " walkabout " period , when he regularly did not turn up for bookings .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I hope you been able to get a brick to keep for prosperity Paul .

I always wondered where the name came from : interesting to learn that " Wirrina " was Aboriginal for " a place to go " . Creative naming , similar to " Va - Va " being used for that venue , which is the Spanish phrase for " Go - Go " .

PMSL at the car park notice in the photograph below .......

" The owners of this car park accepts no responsibilty for damage or loss to persons property , animals or vehicles using it "

Animals ? :ohmy:

Malc

post-5097-006558700 1286599778_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I had a few grt nites in the Wirrina not one of my favorets but as a local venue for music all nite it lived up to the mark.. Although it was only up the road from where i lived in CambridgeTransport always seemed a big problem as every one want to go and cars where few .Not like the long distance niters where a select few of us attended religously. I made alot of good friends there some im glad to say i still see around gracing the dancfloors and some now DJs kicking out grt sounds till this day i pass the old place a few times a year during the course of my work and remember top sounds of the day booming through my head. I will miss seeing the last of its remains go.

. But time moves on and so must we, and encorage other younger people to experance wot we still have, that is truley grt.

So when its our time to go the the Soul scene lives on for more happy memories for others to cheerish like the grt nites at the Wirrina

Ask yourself this question have you interduced any one younger to the Soul secen in the last few years and Why not as its down to all of us who love it so much not to let it slip away as a distant memorie like nites at the Wirrina.

The scene is still very much alive and floor fillers are still being uncoverd till this day it excites me to here them and dance my heart out to them so encourage others as they will surely love wot you have introduced them to .

Yours in Soul

Irish

Edited by Irish Spinner
Social source share

First all nighter I went to.

Was in the 'small' room with wooden dancefloor first & later in the main 'rink' complete with concrete floor. Used to come out of the latter absolutely black with dust.

I've posted this before but in case some didn't see it, the photos were taken in the the 'rink' when Jr Walker & The All-Stars were on.

post-9076-080311600 1286637517_thumb.jpg

MIck

Social source share

Guest SteveC

I hope you been able to get a brick to keep for prosperity Paul .

Or to sell on ebay. Seems to be all the rage nowadays I here!! :hatsoff2:

On a serious note I never attended the Phoenix niters and wasn't aware there was a ballroom there as well as the gym/roller skating rink!

Did go to the PSC do's in the early 80's which I enjoyed but The Wirrina was more than soul venue and I had many a good time there either as a Northern event punter or trying to move on 8 wheels!!!!

RIP Wirrina

Edited by SteveC
Social source share

Guest roggert

Phoenixsoulclub76.jpg

i remember john vincent way before he bought records /dj'd he wasjust a t####ser.in 1966he went on stagedressed as a1920's gangster when the mojo club was playing prince busters allstars "al capones guns dont argue" he was booed !!!!! it was a complete shock when i next saw him7 years later at samanthas dj'ing!!!!! like uncle fester showing you how to grow hair!!!!!! and still playing records from 1966!!!!!!!!!!
Social source share

i remember john vincent way before he bought records /dj'd he wasjust a t####ser.in 1966he went on stagedressed as a1920's gangster when the mojo club was playing prince busters allstars "al capones guns dont argue" he was booed !!!!! it was a complete shock when i next saw him7 years later at samanthas dj'ing!!!!! like uncle fester showing you how to grow hair!!!!!! and still playing records from 1966!!!!!!!!!!

Well that's JV trashed then.

Social source share

:D HI ALL THIS IS A GOOD 1 , IT'S GOT RANKING JOHNNY BOY MANSHIP, HOW MUCH FOR THIS MATE:boxing:

:thumbsup: DAVE KIL

post-13241-021502300 1286792869_thumb.jp

I trust that the " Paul " is you Mr D ......

I remember Spena : what happened to him ?

Malc

Social source share

Just found out that Wirrina means 'place to go' in Aboriginal. A Charlie Swift idea? Fair dinkum if it was...

PK & Biffo not on poster. Had their deejaying services been dispensed with by then?

Dead right there Macca. My mate Martin Allpress and Tony DeMarco were there to witness the demolition. Yes just 2 people !!! Anyway he managed to grab me a brick for old times sake.

Tony Edgley, Western Australia.

Social source share

Just found out that Wirrina means 'place to go' in Aboriginal. A Charlie Swift idea? Fair dinkum if it was...

PK & Biffo not on poster. Had their deejaying services been dispensed with by then?

Charlie Swift was on the wireless last week, they held a competition amongst local schools to find a name for the new leisure centre, Wirrina was the winner.

More stuff from tonights local rag:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/local/end_of_an_era_as_the_wirrina_is_demolished_1_1551827

Social source share

post-8464-045815600%201287088759_thumb.jpg

Peterborough Soul Club restarted All-nighters in 1982 andalthough over the following years the names of the clubs that ran all nightersthere changed i.e. Dedicated Soul Club, East of England Scooter Club &Dedicated Scooter Club - it was ran by the same bunch of guys.

1st Record played at 20.00 hrs was the Sherry's - Put your loving arms around me , justbefore the main doors were opened approx two min's there were no recordsplaying, then the guy on the inner doors between the hall and the entrance gavethe nod and that was the start.

1989 - Saw the last nighters, which shut at 07.00 in themorning - last record, Am on my way Dean Parrish.

The sign attached is the original sign that was put over thedoor in the early 70t's - when the sign was removed there was another signunder it - THE BOX, which I believe it was called for a short time early 70t's.

The sign was removed by the guys who removed the asbestosabout Feb 2009.

Allnighters in the 80t's were run for 7 years; I was luckyenough to play the first record and played the last.

Hope you enjoyed the memories I did.

PSC

PETERBOROUGH SOUL CLUB PRESENTS

#1 Legendary Soul Venue - 1978 - 2010

32nd Anniversary

NORTHERN SOUL & MOTOWN

"THE FLEET CENTRE FLETTON"

PETERBOROUGH - PE2 8DL

Two Rooms of Soul

SATURDAY 13th Nov - 2010 - 7.30 - 01.00

"Does Exactly What it Say's On The Flyer"

CLASSIC OLDIES - MAIN ROOM