2011-08-26: Weston Union Weekender

Lovely weekend in Weston great to see a few people that I haven't seen in a while , arrived Friday night and stayed in the collectors room all night , woke up and did the tourist bit , can't believe we walked to the end of the pier and still managed to miss the old fashioned tea room.

Nice bit of halibut in Winstons :)

Lovely to see Anton taking the morning air on his skate board ! took some great snap shots ( in the gallery now ) but what made my weekend was seeing Rob and Lou walk through the door together , it made me so happy to see them together again , and to see lots of other friends from the sarf , the Gloucester posse who are all the best of chums that always see life on on the upside out to have a great weekend, Lloydy , Stella ,the two Johns and Bev who looked amazing ! and then there was the Arfur Daily of the the record room Derek and his lovely catwalk guro Bridget along with Pete ( thanks for the conquistadors it was heavenly) and Cathy and Angela who got the prize the most outrageous handbag you ever saw , she is now known as Pinky :) and Joannie who looked lovely and Andy tourist guide Bellwood , who is always the person to talk to regarding what to see locally. And Sean and Michelle .... I hope I haven't forgotten anyone ?

I peaked too early just about managing up to 8pm Saturday when Nige finished his collectors plays ...which even though I say so myself was the "top of the milk " for me :) so nice to hear those records played !

I took a quick look at Mark Freeman on stage and he looked magnificent , what an arena that stage is ! and he looked so well the best I have seen him look in years.

The hotel staff were brilliant they went the extra mile and helped us with the record boxes ! well impressed with the York girls , lovely to see the sisters of soul wigglin & gigglin , first time I have seen nun touched up , yes I saw his hand on your bottom lol ..that will be three hail marys and an our father for you !

Edited by Carms

Big thanks to Kev, Richard and the gold soul team and all the dj's great sets from all the dj's and me LOL ..... :lol: Friday night 9.00 pm the start off a great weekender Jonh Barker, Richard Searling, Ginger Taylor, Pete Lyster. kepted the dancers dancin great atmosphere in the PRINCE CONSORT HALL. In the bar ... Collectors Corner .... awrsom tunes all the way from all the dj's GREAT FUN ON FRIIDAY WITH JONH BARKER AND PETE FRENCH, FUN ALL THE WAY WITH THEM TWO DJING WITH PETE PLAYING ALL HIS TOP TUNES AND JOHN PLAYING HIS 50P TUNES LOL......GOT YOU BACK JOHN. :thumbup: Saturday afternoon 2.00pm Sean Chapman kicked off the AFTERNOON, Playing top tunes that he does'nt get to play big tune all the way from sean, thanks for playing my two favourite tunes, :) Nige SUGAR LIPS Brown and Kev Roberts had the dancers dancin till 6.00 pm, I was in and out of the consort hall and the collectors corner as i was djing in the collectors corner room thanks for the great comments :) the Collectors Corner Kept going through the night with top tune been played by all the dj's . PAVILION BALLROOM Saturday night 9,00pm opened up by Mark Freeman,10pm Dave Evison, 11pm Sean Chapman, 12am Nige Brown, 1am Ginger Taylor, 2am Pete Lyster , great music and atmosphere all the way . In the Prince Consort Hall opened at 11.00 pm with Sean Hampsey, 12.30amNeil Self, 1,30am Ady Pountain,2.30 Mike Eskins,3,30 Pete French to close the nigher off 5am, and THE DANCERS WERE STILL DANCIN . Sunday got up for a walk along the seafront and a walk on the peir with the sun shining and great company then off to the the winter gardens for more soul music Andy Bellwood opened 3.00pm, Pete French , Andy :tumbleweed3: Jackson :facepalm: Then me Sam Evans to close the weekend :thumbup: thanks to all the dancers you were great :hatsoff2:

soulfun and love sam

Edited by XSS
  • Helpful 1

A rather nice soul weekender which exceeded our expectations and hopefully one that will become a yearly August bank holiday fixture on the soul scene after its successful debut and all the more remarkable as Weston- super- Mare managed to miss the appalling weather which unseasonably seemed to have beset much of the rest of the UK. Only visited Weston -super- Mare once before many years ago and its certainly changed with a multi £m seafront make over . Managed to find Tiffany’s Tea Room on the end of the spectacular pier and well worth a visit . However Dr Fox’s tea Room , with dinning on the lawn outside, on the architecturally stunning Knightstone Island (reached by a short causeway) was so memorable we visited twice . Steeped in fascinating Victorian history and formerly thermal baths and a music hall our only regrett was that we missed the paddle steamer ’Waverly’ berthing alongside and pressed for time we then couldn‘t find time to visit the Lambretta museum .

‘Papas’ fish and chip emporium was however located and tested , made to feel at home with Whitby cod (!) on offer , but being an adopted northerner went for the haddock which was ’ok’ but pricey . By comparison, haddock n chips at Winstons was much better and cheaper…

Must admit prior our preconception of the Weston - super- Mare Winter Gardens was one of fading 1920’s grandeur . Couldn’t have been more wrong . Externally its façade is classic , restored , 1920’s art deco., Within, it’s a classy , modern complex, air conditioned and multiple rooms with great wooden dance floors. The Prince Consort and the magnificent Pavilion ball room were used for the weekender , plus a third chill out/freestyle ‘room’ in the bar/foyer which also doubled up as dealer space which excellent sales boxes etc . Bought a couple of records (big thanks Derek Mead and Andy Baskett ) .

An ‘A’ team headline DJ line up , Richard Searling , Kev Roberts , Sean Chapman , Ginger Taylor , Nige Brown , Dave Evison - all most impressive and complementing each other with variety yet floor filling favourites from the various eras. Richard Searling freely admitting some he played were Wigan oldies he’d forgotten he had and nice to hear Trade Martin being reactivated with a great dance floor reaction .

Equally impressive were the regional DJs and in particular the ‘collectors corner /connoisseurs’ spots throughout Friday , Saturday and Sunday (would love to see play lists posted). Sean ‘acetate’ Hampsey , ‘Lloydee’ and Andy Baskett particularly hit the groove for me and others with their 7ts , x-over and modern , so much so a few couldn’t‘ resist dancing on the carpet . Pete Lyster and Ginger Taylor produced some big money rarities which are normally only heard when played on the rare soul scene by the lucky few would own such gems.

Sam Evans opened with Mickay ‘Take me over’ which currently rivals R L Burnside ‘Its bad you know’ as today’s monster ‘marmite record , both of which I hasten to add , I thoroughly enjoy and have been known to play the latter at every opportunity (!) when Djing. including at Weston with a tremendous dance floor reaction on Sunday afternoon .

Throughout the weekend there was a great , dressed to impress , friendly and receptive crowd many travelling considerable distance , who made us feel so welcome. Even better we managed to catch up with a few we haven’t seen for a couple of years.

Well done to the promoters and all involved .

Edited by andybellwood

A rather nice soul weekender which exceeded our expectations and hopefully one that will become a yearly August bank holiday fixture on the soul scene after its successful debut and all the more remarkable as Weston- super- Mare managed to miss the appalling weather which unseasonably seems to have beset much of the rest of the UK. Only visited Weston -super- Mare once before many years ago and its certainly changed with a multi £m seafront make over . Managed to find Tiffany’s Tea Room on the end of the spectacular pier and well worth a visit . However Dr Fox’s tea Room , with dinning on the lawn outside, on the architecturally stunning Knightstone Island (reached by a short causeway) was so memorable we visited twice . Steeped in fascinating Victorian history and formerly thermal baths and a music hall our only regrett was that we missed the paddle steamer ’Waverly’ berthing alongside and pressed for time we then couldn‘t find time to visit the Lambretta museum .

‘Papas’ fish and chip emporium was however located and tested , made to feel at home with Whitby cod (!) on offer , but being an adopted northerner went for the haddock which was ’ok’ but pricey . By comparison, haddock n chips at Winstons was much better and cheaper…

Must admit prior our preconception of the Weston - super- Mare Winter Gardens was one of fading 1920’s grandeur . Couldn’t have been more wrong . Externally its façade is classic , restored , 1920’s art deco., Within, it’s a classy , modern complex, air conditioned and multiple rooms with great wooden dance floors The Prince Consort and the magnificent Pavilion ball room were used , plus a third chill out/freestyle ‘room’ in the bar/foyer which also doubled up as dealer space which excellent sales boxes etc . Bought a couple of records (big thanks Derek Mead and Andy Baskett ) .

An ‘A’ team headline DJ line up , Richard Searling , Kev Roberts , Sean Chapman , Ginger Taylor , Nige Brown , Dave Evison - all most impressive and complementing each other with variety yet floor filling favourites from the various eras. Richard Searling freely admitting some he played were Wigan oldies he’d forgotten he had and nice to hear Trade Martin being reactivated with a great dance floor reaction .

Equally impressive were the regional DJs and in particular the ‘collectors/connoisseurs’ spots throughout Friday , Saturday and Sunday (would love to see play lists posted). Sean ‘acetate’ Hampsey , ‘Lloydee’ and Andy Baskett particularly hit the groove for me and others with their 7ts , x-over and modern , so much so a few couldn’t‘ resist dancing on the carpet . Pete Lyster and Ginger Taylor produced some big money rarities which are normally only heard when played on the rare soul scene by the lucky few would own such gems.

Sam Evans opened with Mickay ‘Take me over’ which currently rivals R L Burnside ‘Its bad you know’ as today’s monster ‘marmite record , both of which I hasten to add , I thoroughly enjoy and have been known to play the latter at every opportunity (!) when Djing. including at Weston with a tremendous dance floor reaction on Sunday afternoon .

Throughout the weekend there was a great , dressed to impress , friendly and receptive crowd many travelling considerable distance , who made us feel so welcome. Even better we managed to catch up with a few we haven’t seen for a couple of years.

Well done to the promoters and all involved .

Here we go then Andy:

My Weston Weekender ‘Collectors Corner’ Playlist

Timmy Thomas - It's My Life - Goldwax

Inell Young - I've Never Considered – Busy B

The Emotions - I'll Love You But I'll Leave You – Twin Stacks

Jean Elias - How Long Can I Go On Fooling Myself - Vogue

Grover Mitchell - Take Your Time & Love Me - Decca

The Marriotts - Tell It Like It Is - ABC

Don Gardner - We're Gonna Make It Big – Master Five 45

Messiahs Of Glory - I Want To Thank You – Sky Hero Test Pressing

Little Rubin - In The Name Of Loneliness - NR

Bobby Burn - I'm A Dreamer - Chant

The Fidels - Boys Will Be Boys - Maverick

Onyx - You Never Fail To Amaze Me - Yew

Ann Bogus - Don't Ask Me To Love Again – Statue

Enchanted Five – Darling I Need You Now - CVS

2001 Black Essence - Change In My Life - JWJ

L J Reynolds - Stop Look Over Your Past - Monique

O V Wright - I Can't Believe You've Got The Nerve To Cry - Backbeat

Bobby Bland - Let's Get Together - Duke

Robert Moore - Tears Of The World – Blue Candle

Sam Dees - Funny - Acetate

Bobby Womack - Runaway – Hitsville Acetate

El Shobey - You Never Miss What You Got - Shout

Erma Franklin - The Right To Cry – London Demo

The 90 Minute modern / crossover set though is just a blur! :)

Loved the place.

Well done all concerned.

:thumbsup:

Sean

DJ .... ANDY BASKETT COLLECTORS CORNER PLAY LIST SUNDAY AFTERNOON 5PM TIL 6PM

...................................................................................................................................................................................

Hi andy nice to meet up again after york and had a great weekend so i've post my playlist below

SADIE SADIE - RIPPLE BLAST SINGERS

HEY MAMA - GEORGE SMALLWOOD

SWEET HOT LIPS - VILLAGE CHOIR

YOUR MESSING UP A GOOD THING - HAYWOOD CASH

YOU GOTA LET GO - MARCIA HINES

DON'T TELL ME YOUR SORRY - CHUCK CISSEL

NEVER NEVER GIRL - GEORGE MCRAE

QUESTIONS - DAVID RUFFIN

ACROSS 110th STREET - BOBBY WOMACK

SWEETEST GIRL IN THE WORLD - ROGER HATCHER

WHAT SIDE YOUR BREAD AND BUTTER ON - DIANE PANE

ALWAYS IN THE MOOD - RANDY BROWN

I'LL WORK AND NO PLAY - VIAVILORE JORDAN

WHAT ABOUT YOU - CARL HALL

THIS KIND OF LOVE - SPECIAL DELIVERY

cheers andy baskett

Edited by XSS

What a top weekender!!

Venue superb and Pete Frech should take a bow for his FANTASTIC Sound Systems in all the Rooms

Picked up two of my major wants in the record bar and sold a few!

Congrats to Richard and Kev ,, it was Brill for the first one hope ya do it again!

Plays below from collectors corner,,

MAGNIFCENT 7 - NEVER WILL I - DIAL

FANTASTICS - HAVE A LITTLE FAITH - SOUND STAGE 7

MELVIN DAVIS - I MUST LOVE YOU - GROOVESVILLE

TEMPTONES - GIRL I LOVE YOU - ARTIC Demo

BOBBY TAYLOR - JUST A LITTLE CLOSER - TAMLA MOTOWN jamaican

SYL JOHNSON - TRY MY LOVE AGAIN - EXCENTRIC SOUL

ARCADES - THERES GOT TO BE A LOSER - TRIAD

UNIQUE BLEND - YES IM IN LOVE - EASTBOUND Demo

PEGGY GAINS - WHEN THE BOY THAT YOU LOVE - KENT Anni 14

KINGS of SOUL - GIRL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE - DOWN TO EARTH

PAPA BEAR & THE CUBS - YOUR SO FINE - SMS

E RODNEY JONES - PEACE OF MIND - TUFF

PRETENDERS - I WANNA BE - CARNIVAL

AD LIBS - LOVE IS KNOCKING AT MY HEART - CARVER

CHRIS CAMPBELL - YOU GOTTA PAY DUES - USA DemO

DISTRICTS - ONE LOVER (just wont do) - NILE

MASQUERADERS - THATS THE SAME THING - SOULTOWN

VANGUARDS - GOOD TIMES BAD TIMES - LAMP

STRIDES - I CAN GET ALONG - M&S Demo

PACESETTERS - IM GONNA MAKE IT - MINIT Demo

JACKIE BEAVERS - LOVE THAT NEVER GROWS OLD - REVILOT

ROY ROBERTS - YOU MOVE ME - HOUSE OF FOX Demo

ROBERT PARKER - I CAUGHT YOU IN A LIE - NOLA Demo

WILLIE TEEE - FIRST TASTE OF HURT - GATUR

NICK ASHFORD - WHEN I FEEL THE NEED - VERVE Demo

ANTHONY & IMPERIALS - ITS NOT THE SAME VEEP Demo

Yes twast a crackin weekend , graet music across the rooms and some shiney happy people

Nige B xx

post-1851-0-10147600-1314723102_thumb.jp

Edited by Nige Brown

Right then, as that very nice Mr Bellwood asked , here's goes and in no particular order:-

From the LP's

Jame James - Lost Someone

Satisfaction Unlimited - Let's Change the Subject

Walter Jackson - If I Had My Way

Ben E King - Smooth Sailing

Sharon Ridley - Where Did You Learn

Bettye Crutcher - Up For A Left Down

From the 7's

Barrett Strong - Man Up in the Sky (for me mate Ray)

Rance Allen Group - Reason To Survive (thanks for dancing Sam)

Roz Ryan - You're My Only Temptation

Marlena Shaw - Looking Through The Eye Love

Aretha Franklin - Don't Let me Lose This Dream

Big Dee Irwin - You Satisfy My Needs (for the old fella stood at the back of bar selling records!)

Convertion - All I Want Is You

Bobby Hutton - I Can't Stand A Woman Two Timing A Man

O.C. Smith - On Easy Street (for me other mate Tim)

Barbara Jean English - Breakin' Up A Happy Home

Willie Tee - Reach Out For Me

Coke Escovedo - Why Can't We Be Lovers

Sharon Paige - New To You

On a CD from Soul Junction Records (promotional fee pending...)

The Coalitions - The Memory Of You

That's it, Ness & I had a great time, see you all next year :)

cracking weekend,,,

highlight opening up proceedings in the main room and passing over a full dancefloor to Dave Evison,,,

then played for 2 hours in the bar at 2am & GOT the chance to play loads of 70s i never get the chance to play i never get chance to spin was really buzzing and people just kept on dancing,,was like playing in my room ,,ABSOLUTELY loved it...]

well done to all

atb

mark freeman

here's mine ....

Sat afternoon , collectors corner….

Rory McDonald ‘your love is indescribably delicious’

Great Lakes Orchestra ’this is the night for loving’

Wicked Lester ’gay with an e’ (aka ‘ain’t no mountain high enough’ )

Gene West (aka Barry White) ’In the ghetto’

Mark V Unlimited ’Gone’

Joe Simon ’We’re together’

Leone Thomas ’Thank you baby’

Shepdog ’I heard it through the grapevine’

Little Willie J ’The pressure’

A C Postern ’I ‘m so full of love’

The Naturals ’Three Banditos’

Nicky James ’So glad we made it’

The Blockbusters ’Muddy pt 1’

Bob Andy ’Save me’

Earl Lewis & the Channels ’She blew my mind’

Fabulous Denos ’Hard to hold back the tears’

Eddie Lee Mattison ’ Take your time’

Larry Birdsong ’Somebody help me’

Gentleman June Gardner ’Its gonna rain’

Maximilan ’You better’

Marva Josie ’Later for you baby’

The Lost Souls ’ A secret of mine’

Silvie Vartan ’I made my choice’

Jo Stance ’Hey Girl’

Kenny Young ’ Ain’t it funny what love can do’

Jo Simon ‘ I see your face’

Gabin ‘Into my soul’

Joe Walker ‘This is my last goodbye’

Edited by andybellwood
Guest Glawster

Right then, as that very nice Mr Bellwood asked , here's goes and in no particular order:-

From the LP's

Jame James - Lost Someone

Satisfaction Unlimited - Let's Change the Subject

Walter Jackson - If I Had My Way

Ben E King - Smooth Sailing

Sharon Ridley - Where Did You Learn

Bettye Crutcher - Up For A Left Down

From the 7's

Barrett Strong - Man Up in the Sky (for me mate Ray)

Rance Allen Group - Reason To Survive (thanks for dancing Sam)

Roz Ryan - You're My Only Temptation

Marlena Shaw - Looking Through The Eye Love

Aretha Franklin - Don't Let me Lose This Dream

Big Dee Irwin - You Satisfy My Needs (for the old fella stood at the back of bar selling records!)

Convertion - All I Want Is You

Bobby Hutton - I Can't Stand A Woman Two Timing A Man

O.C. Smith - On Easy Street (for me other mate Tim)

Barbara Jean English - Breakin' Up A Happy Home

Willie Tee - Reach Out For Me

Coke Escovedo - Why Can't We Be Lovers

Sharon Paige - New To You

On a CD from Soul Junction Records (promotional fee pending...)

The Coalitions - The Memory Of You

That's it, Ness & I had a great time, see you all next year :)

Very nice enjoyed your set Steve and having a mooch at your tunes behind the decks too! Did you play any modern :wicked: