mixed emotions orig or re-press?

Can anyone post up a scan of an orig on Rockway and a 2nd issue Rockway. What are the differences between the copies? Are the copies up for sale on Gemm for $119 stated as orig, or are they 2nd issue? So many questions

Many thank you's.

Jordi

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

Be carefull out there Jordi! Ask him if he can press you up 500 copies for distribution in the UK! ;-)

Social source share

Can anyone post up a scan of an orig on Rockway and a 2nd issue Rockway. What are the differences between the copies?  Are the copies up for sale on Gemm for $119 stated as orig, or are they 2nd issue? So many questions

Many thank you's.

Jordi

Jordi

The originals don't have the engineer's name (Fred 'somebody' I think) under the artist's name on the label. The copies on gemm are (I believe) represses from some time last year courtesy of Elijah Cole, the owner of Rock-Way. I received (several) emails last year from firstly Felicia and then Elijah which started almost cryptically and then descended into ultra weirdness.

The net result was that they established amongst themselves that having seen a copy of the original on a Dutch website (ironically from a seller that most likely didn't have the f**king thing) that someone was making cash they probably felt was due to them. So, this weird and intriguing story evolved about how all the copies that existed prior to their repress of last year were boots instigated sometime in the mid 70's by....EMI! Cole went on to insist that the originals (the ones he'd repressed - he admitted to repressing them in a thread on the now defunct deep funk board -) were the 'represses' (confused?) and that to authenticate their 'originality' he had specially singed them for 'all the fans of Mixed Emotions' out there. Cue moping of brow, a bow taken and then a hasty exit stage-right.

By the sounds of it, he'd also contacted several UK dealers to try out his story on them. The exchange between the two of us lasted about nine emails and then he vanished....and then the signed copies-with-engineer's-name appeared.

I tried to convince him that it was never a massive track and that maybe he should just issue the record and sell them at $10...that way he'd sell loads (especially as it seems to have - ironically - taken off) He wasn't listening.

My scanner's up the tubes at the moment or else I'd display the original here.

Your best bet is to email the dudes on gemm and ask them when the copies they have were pressed...and then tell them to stuff their $119 and offer them $10.

JBrew

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!