Guest Dave Turner

• Replies 46
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I just heard this on BBC TV too. Solomon was larger than life in personality and physique and a superb soul singer. Active until the end (he was coming to Europe to play shows in Amsterdam) he will be missed but will leave happy memories behind him.

''Got To Get You Off My Mind' was one of the first soul singles I ever heard on the radio and I still have my Atlantic copy.

Social source share

Woke up this morning, switched on the computer to read my local newspaper in digiversion and saw the news about Solomon Burke´s passing. Very sad. One of the first (earliest and best) soul artists. Had the pleasure of hearing and watching him in concert a few years ago when he visited a local venue in Sweden where I live, he was sitting down throughout the whole concert, sitting down on a thrown as a King Solomon, or King of Soul. He came across as a very warm and friendly person who liked to converse with the audience and he gave us a wonderful performance featuring both old and new songs. One of his many children (or was it grandchildren) was in the band, a very energetic fellow who looked like a smaller and much more athletic version of Solomon B. An unforgettable evening. And looks like today will be a Solomon Burke day, will have to treat myself to some of the man´s best music today. Solomon Burke...R.I.P.

/Melismo

Edited by djmelismo
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

A truly GREAT Soul Singer.

RIP Solomon Burke.

Sean

Ditto Sean.......Brilliant in every way. Also,kinda puts it into perspective a bit when the word Legend is applied to so many who arent necessarily deserving of the title,Solomon was in every respect a true LEGEND........If anyone hasnt yet done so,get yourself a copy of Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guralnick and take time to read the chapter on Solomon Burke,its a CLASSIC. Amongst other things,he used to sell sandwiches to the band on the tour bus ! He used to cook Pork Chops etc to sell to the crowd in the foyer at his own gigs! And the gig for the Ku Klux Klan in the South is stuff of legend.

Also,if you get a chance,then check out his Double Live Lp on rounder Records from the mid 80`s.......The best live lp going i reckon.......

Check these personal faves as well,theres many more of course. I cant imagine theres many on here who wont know most of these but you never know:

If You Need Me

Tonights The Night.

CryTo Me

Looking For My Baby

Everybody Needs Somebody

Stupidity

You And Your Baby Blues

Midnight And You

Please Dont You Say Goodbye To Me.

Im gonna miss him and im really gutted i never got a chance to see him live or meet him.......

Ivor

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

I was fortunate to see him perform at Willie Mitchell's memorial service in Memphis and meet him afterwards. He had driven from Los Angeles to make the event, and after performing, drove straight back - literally thousands of miles. He appeared last ( after J. Blackfoot, Hi Rhythm, Don Bryant, Otis Clay and several others) and only performed a couple of songs but his singing was incredible and the audience went wild! In conversation, he was polite, helpful, thoroughly absorbing and gracious. He loved coming to England and was looking forward to the European tour. He was a truly special individual who will be greatly missed by all that were touched by his talent. Respect.

post-1773-058076500 1286721331_thumb.jpg

Social source share

If anyone hasnt yet done so,get yourself a copy of Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guralnick and take time to read the chapter on Solomon Burke,its a CLASSIC. Amongst other things,he used to sell sandwiches to the band on the tour bus ! He used to cook Pork Chops etc to sell to the crowd in the foyer at his own gigs! And the gig for the Ku Klux Klan in the South is stuff of legend.

Too true, another sad loss to soul music. It's funny you mention that chapter in Peter Guralnick's book as I was telling my wife about the things he'd done this morning, after I'd found out he'd died. I especially liked the popcorn tale...

Social source share

tmg555 Solomon Burke One of Soul Musics Greats ......One of the very first acts l seen back in 1965.... He Was Great Then And Was Greater Now.....!!! Solomon I will miss you thank-you..........!!!!!

Social source share

Solomon Burke with another late great -- Willie Mitchell

Quality

SB had one of those voices that simply oooooozed soul .

A sad loss , but what a legacy .

RIP Mr Burke .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Truly coincidental and I think really touching, almost simultaneously with his passing, at midnight here on Saturday Betty Harris was on stage headlining the Brooklyn Soul Festival and in front of a packed audience told everyone how what really started her career was her version of Solomon's beautiful "Cry to me" and then captivated the whole place with a truly beautiful, string-laden version, nobody in the house yet knew it was also a eulogy, RIP indeed dear man.

Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

What a musical legacy the man leaves behind, RIP Mr Burke it was a pleasure to listen to you over the years :hatsoff2:

Dave

Social source share

Guest YoungSoulie92

Had the opportunity to see this legend supported by Joss Stone in a really great, small venue in Exeter not two months back. Me and my Dad deemed fifty pounds each too expensive; suffice to say I learned my lesson, if a good opportunity arises pounce on it because it may never come back. RIP Mr. Solomon Burke, much love x

Social source share

Yet another of the icons from our youth passes away. Never TRUELY appreciated IMHO.

Gr8 career and longevity - wudda loved to see & hear the 2 old timers SB & Sam Moore duet?????

RIP BIG MAN

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!