Vintage Soul Radio Show Number 300

Sunday the 17th October is the 300th Vintage Soul Radio Show

What started as a one-off 14 years ago has reached a milestone.

The radio station, knowing of my misspent youth, asked if I'd like to go back into radio.

As Radio R¼sselsheim was, and is, state financed there were no restrictions regarding playlists.

I doubt I would be here sending this post if I'd had to play Aretha's 'Respect' a 100 times!

The first couple of years were only heard by the locals and internet listeners were able to download or I sent a CD. The big jump to internet radio widened the audience and now listeners are from all over the world. The show remains a twice-monthly as the day job is still essential and preparation for each show needs patience and time. The playlist is played time and again to get a feel for it and then on Sunday evening at 6pm, down go the blinds in the studio...summer and winter...lights out...semi-darkness...headphones on...and I am away in a world of my own...sharing a love that has been with me since my first record in 1959 (Jimmy Jones 'Good Timin'). I have NEVER pre-recorded a show...and, except for a few missed due to holidays...they all go out LIVE. Roughly 80% of all the tracks played over the years have never been repeated....a system that I thought not possible initially...but still so much out there that we all missed first time around. The day job has helped subsidize the collection...but thanks go to listeners and friends who have supplied some wonderful music and allowed me to pass the treasures on. Thanks also go to magazines, blogs and websites that have 'reminded' me of music that I have but had 'forgotten' I had. The gentle memory reminders are a large part of the show. The Radio Station asked me if the show is one of the longest Soul Show/ Same Station shows...I have no idea....but it could be one day. Thanks to all who have supported me, helped me, and sent me mails just saying how much they enjoy the shows. Me too...the DJ has good taste!

Regards

Barry

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

Congratulations on reaching this milestone and it's always a joy listening to your shows, long may it continue.:hatsoff2:

I'll second that John.

Keep 'em coming Barry.

:(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!