Rarest White Demo

Dave Thorley

• Replies 298
  • Views 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi Chalks

How are you Mate. Agree but was think demo's over issues ie Dave Love below, although it is very hard to sell.

post-3008-075212000 1286828521_thumb.jpg

That strange, JM said that there was only 50 demo's of this made but yours looks different from mine Dave, I am sure I have molded paper and bolder font? or you have bolder font on the Promotion copy logo. :thumbsup:

post-6504-007364000 1286854053_thumb.jpg

post-6504-015568900 1286854202_thumb.jpe

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

That strange, JM said that there was only 50 demo's of this made but yours looks different from mine Dave, I am sure I have molded paper and bolder font? or you have bolder font on the Promotion copy logo. :thumbsup:

They mis-printed the label pt1 and pt2, flip yours over. I got 4 copies from one of the late owners wives.

Maybe it took another brother to come up with the instrumental:D

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Maybe not the rarest but here are a few are nice and easy on stock issue that took me a while to locate as WDJs:

Harold Andrews - Since I Talk To My Baby - HLS

Johnny Sales - My Loves A Monster Baby - Chi Town

The Sunliners - All Alone - Golden World

Whispers - Where Have You Been - Roker

And one I still haven't got:

Belita Woods - Magic Corner - Karen 106

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

uk tamla motown,tmg-525-marv johnson,red/white demo.

uk tmg-885,willie hutch,alledged plain white label 45 with handwritten labels,???.

uk tmg-786.r.d.taylor,allegded plain white label 45 with handwritten labels,???,:thumbsup::unsure:

First one doesn't exist, the second two, well every UK TMG would have had test pressings like those, I've had various one sided acetates, 2 sided acetates, white labels, even one sided test presses of a couple of the EP's.

Social source share

They mis-printed the label pt1 and pt2, flip yours over. I got 4 copies from one of the late owners wives.

Maybe it took another brother to come up with the instrumental:D

Re. Dave Love W/D

OK, I take all that back, I've just found my copy. It has 'Three Souls Music' on both sides and has a 'Bell Sound' stamp in the run out groove

So the mystery thickens, was it in fact pressed twice. Does yours have a 'Bell Sound' stamp ?

It is possible that it was pressed twice, as the label was jointly own by Johnny Worlds (Worlds Records, New York) & Al Holiday (Steeltown Records, Phittsburgh). It is possible that they both had copies pressed local to them.

It would be interesting to hear John's thoughts on this.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Well, apart from those already mentioned and the following well-documented tough WD's - Magnetics (WIWMB), Precisions (SAS), Junior McCants (TMFYNL), Jesse Davis (TRFM), Tony Clarke (LS), John Bowie (YGMAGT), Herman Lewis (WKYT) and Eddie Parker (LYB), I'd also like to offer up the following which are very, very tough to find as WD's...but do exist:

Gene Woodbury - Ever Again - Del Val

Falcons - I'm A Fool I Must Love You - Big Wheel

Del Larks - Out Of The In Crowd - Jet

Willie Johnson - I Can't See Myself - Future Stars (feat. both sides, but more on the Deep than Northern side of Soul)

If you want to spread the net wider to include non-US releases, well I've got some Japnese WDs that would knock you off your feet...another time, another thread maybe!

hatsoff2.gif

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Rarest white demo as far as I'm concerned is 'Shock Horror' a 12" copy of King Tutt.

Relatively common on a 12" issue as there are at least 1/2 a dozen known :-)) but this is the only 12" W/D that I know of apart from the alleged badly warped copy in London that no one's ever seen.

God I want that lump of 12" vinyl so so badly.

Also throws up the question as to wether 7" King Tutt Fun City W/D's exist as never seen or heard of one.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

gwen owens wanted & needed this is a tough one how rare is it

yep rare as............what about the aeroplane song.......thats a rare un......mind you never seen an issue does it exist?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

2 white demos that are hard to find are -

Tony Clarke - Landslide and Eddie Parker - Love You Baby

have seen a tony clarke white demo with white chess pieces embosed all over the label.....gotta be rare that one

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

what about.........sequins try my love detroit sound and marsha gee on uptown.......not ever seen em but cooperman from bedford has had em both

Social source share

have seen a tony clarke white demo with white chess pieces embosed all over the label.....gotta be rare that one

If I remember rightly Steve Smith had a white demo of Tony Clarke, seen a couple go through ebay. Here's a scan from Benji's site, thought I had a better scan of one of 'em but can't find it on the PC.

post-225-026507000 1286911073_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Would it be reasonable to assume lets say that we only know of issues for any record dont matter what, that there would be demo's of that record floating around. I can get my head around it being the other way around - only demo's known, then there would be a good chance of only demo's ever being cut, but to my way of thinking if there are issues then there has to be demo's.

Example; Eddie Parkers " I'm Gone" AWAKE white demo??

Obviously not all labels did "white" demo's they just printed "not for sale" or "plug side".......but most did.

Just as a side issue, i dont know of any Motown tunes that only reached a demo cut and was never released, they tended to just bin em' before they did anything........has to be a Frank Wilson issue or two knocking about??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!