A Little Box Of Personal History

paultp

I saw this personal collection on eBay UK today and wondered how many time capsules like this there must be sitting in people's attics around the country.

I didn't see anything earth shattering (unless those two Judy Streets are originals :thumbsup:) but just thought it was a great slice of personal history. It must be quite a wrench for him to sell them. Less than £4 a record doesn't seem too bad either.

My missus still has a box of 50 or so 45's she bought in her teens and I refuse to sell them for her as it is a representation of a time in her youth. She just tells me that now I have recorded them onto her ipod she doesn't really want them any more - very sad :unsure:.

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I saw this personal collection on eBay UK today and wondered how many time capsules like this there must be sitting in people's attics around the country.

I didn't see anything earth shattering (unless those two Judy Streets are originals :thumbsup:) but just thought it was a great slice of personal history. It must be quite a wrench for him to sell them. Less than £4 a record doesn't seem too bad either.

My missus still has a box of 50 or so 45's she bought in her teens and I refuse to sell them for her as it is a representation of a time in her youth. She just tells me that now I have recorded them onto her ipod she doesn't really want them any more - very sad :lol:.

Tons and tons of 'em I reckon. Especially in attics, cellars and garden sheds - I found an album collection in my attic from a previous occupant which included tons of original London albums so I guess anything's possible.

I'm going through a similar dilemma with my 7" collection which frankly has been gathering dust for the most part over the last 30 odd years. I'm now out of space and beginning to look at the amount of space my 7"'s are taking up - we're talking a complete wall from floor to ceiling of UK and US 7"'s which for the most part I never actually play anymore because it's almost a full-time job keeping the buggers filed and in order. Add to that the 12" collection, the album collection, the book collection, the CD collection and the other detrius from the last 40 years and we're talking a substantial amount of space. I haven't quite decided what to do yet but I think I'd rather pass 'em on to people who would make better use of them than I can. I just can't bring myself to the pain of listing 'em all.........but I need a new car, new laptop and, in fact, new everything so maybe that's just another job for the Winter!

Ian D :unsure:

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Foggy, Don,y forget your old friends in THE NORTH!!!! I,m moving to a bigger house shortly with plenty of room,and would gladly be prepared to house them for you,Bring the first lot to my birthday/Anniversary !!!!

T.C

Social source share

I'd be surprised if they get any bids with such a high starting price though - always best to start something like that low and let it build up.

Social source share

Foggy, Don,y forget your old friends in THE NORTH!!!! I,m moving to a bigger house shortly with plenty of room,and would gladly be prepared to house them for you,Bring the first lot to my birthday/Anniversary !!!!

T.C

Where does this Foggy thing come from TC?

Malc Burton's been calling me it for years but I don't actually know what means?

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Bloody Hell ,Ian has you,re brain stopped since you went south-----The guy in "Last of the summer wine* with glasses ,who thinks he,s better than all the rest(intelectually) is "Foggy" Dewhirst--even spelt the same.and it,s filmed round Holmfirth which is not a million miles from Mirfield!!!!

T.C.

Social source share

Tons and tons of 'em I reckon. Especially in attics, cellars and garden sheds - I found an album collection in my attic from a previous occupant which included tons of original London albums so I guess anything's possible.

I'm going through a similar dilemma with my 7" collection which frankly has been gathering dust for the most part over the last 30 odd years. I'm now out of space and beginning to look at the amount of space my 7"'s are taking up - we're talking a complete wall from floor to ceiling of UK and US 7"'s which for the most part I never actually play anymore because it's almost a full-time job keeping the buggers filed and in order. Add to that the 12" collection, the album collection, the book collection, the CD collection and the other detrius from the last 40 years and we're talking a substantial amount of space. I haven't quite decided what to do yet but I think I'd rather pass 'em on to people who would make better use of them than I can. I just can't bring myself to the pain of listing 'em all.........but I need a new car, new laptop and, in fact, new everything so maybe that's just another job for the Winter!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ian, the best sales list (book!) ever was your Vinyl Junkie list many moons ago, it was rammed with great records many of which were to yet have there day, we are talking pre-crossover days here!

So please if you are serious:yes: , take some time off and give us volume two............but drop the uber complicated discount system from the first book:yes:

Blake

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

Bloody Hell ,Ian has you,re brain stopped since you went south-----The guy in "Last of the summer wine* with glasses ,who thinks he,s better than all the rest(intelectually) is "Foggy" Dewhirst--even spelt the same.and it,s filmed round Holmfirth which is not a million miles from Mirfield!!!!

T.C.

Nah, I never watched "Last Of The Summer Wine" Tony.......... tumbleweed3.gif

The fact that "Foggy" Dewhirst feels he's intellectually superior to everyone else and is also Gay (thanks Pete) obviously makes me highly appreciative of the nickname. Cheers Malc! :lol:

I wonder which relation of mine the character was based upon? :g:

Ian D :D

Social source share

Ian, the best sales list (book!) was your Vinyl Junkie list many moons ago, it was rammed with great records many of which were to yet have there day, we are talking pre-crossover days here!

So please if you are serious:yes: , take some time off and give us volume two............but drop the uber complicated discount system from the first book:yes:

Blake

Mmm. Get ready for 'Vinyl Junkies Vol 2 - The Return' then. Maybe I can get my daughter to type it all up.....? :lol:

You know what my collections are like Blake. I just get stacks of stuff and whack it in the shelves and then wait 10 years or so to see which ones take off LOL. This latest collection has been going on and off since the mid 90's (and tons of U.S. trips) but I'm sometimes guilty of mis-filing stuff in the wrong sections. I found a Jean Plum UK promo in the Ballad section the other day and a Watson T. Browne mint promo in the Pop section a few weeks back......I haven't done a serious trawl through for the last 10 years or so, so who knows what's in there. I've been putting off going through it all for ages. Also, I've been collecting white promo U.S. 7"'s since I last saw you and that section's boomed over the last 10 years or so.......

No complex discount system this time around either! rolleyes.gif

Ian D :g:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!