News: Twilight Re-Launch - Syl Johnson

• Replies 6
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Val and myself hung out with Melody and Syl in Chicago earlier this year and had a great time. Melody had flown in from Aussie to cut additional tracks for the album. We had the opportunity to hear all the tracks that had been completed up to that time, and a chance to make a few additional suggestions.

Melody is a lovely person and has a wonderful voice, and together with Syl's production skills and years of experience in the music business, I'm sure this album is going to be a smash for her and a great start for the rebirth of Twilight/Twinight records.

Just a mention for the boys in the band - the musicians playing on the sessions. Yes! you heard it right "real live musicians", not a synthesiser in sight. These guys are top class musicians and many Chicago veterans amongst them Bernard Reed on bass, Willie Henderson on horns, Syl adding guitar and harp, and many sessions arranged by the one and only Mr Tom Washington. In reflection, these guys were involved in the original sessions, some 40 years ago, on some of the tracks that Melody covers on her album.

Old school soul music it certainly is. The quality and arrangement of the musical backing is exceptional. Add Melody's voice to the mix and we have something very special that you seldom hear in music produced today.

Take my word for it, it's a very special album. If you're an old fan of Chicago soul music you will remember and love many of these tracks, but if you're quite a lot younger and missed them first time round, you're in for a musical treat,

The album also includes some new material written by Melody herself is there no limit to this lady's talents?

All the best to Melody and Syl and all involved in this project.

Also keep an eye open for Syl Johnson's Anthology Project due for release by the Numero Group titled Complete Mythology Syl Johnson (4CD 6LP) due for release 19 October 2010.

See below some information on Melody taken from their web site:

MELODY (a.k.a. Mellow-D)

Bio

Take a look at 24 year-old Melody Whittle and one would assume she's a pop singer. That is until she opens her mouth to belt out pure rhythm and blues and transforms into the soul singing songstress, Mellow-D. Mellow-D is a down under wonder bringing 60s and 70s soul back from the outback with her soon to be released album "The Rebirth of Soul". Coming from Perth, Western Australia she is proof that music is truly universal. Raised listening to soul, gospel, funk, and jazz, Mellow-D comes from a family of performers where everyone either sang or played an instrument.

Her life has always been filled with singing, whether it was in church, at a family function, harmonizing holding a brush as a little girl, or mimicking a melody along with music videos. Singing is part of Mellow-D's makings and she can't help but sing her soul out, literally. "Soul music makes me feel when I listen to it, says Mellow-D. When I sing soul music, it is in depth wholesome, beautiful and an emotionally fulfilling passion that allows me to portray what I'm truly feeling even for just 3 minutes." She never liked the sound of her voice when she was younger but grew into a soul flower once she heard its progression. The more she began pushing and stretching her vocal ability the more singing became addictive.

At the age of 21 Mellow-D came across a talented musician named Howie Morgan at a gig of his in Perth, he put her on the spot to sing Roberta Flack's "Feel Like Making Love". She began singing regularly with Howie, this is when singing became serious for her. In 2009 she was hired as a back-up singer for the legendary soul singer Syl Johnson while he performed in Australia, her soulfulness shocked him so he put her to the test during a rehearsal, challenging her range in a game of call and response with a song he wrote called If I Could Be an Angel. "Her vocal pipes were piercing my ears and caught my attention" says Johnson. "I think she's one of the greatest white female R&B singers I've heard and she's got that little special thing that the black girls have in church on Sunday morning." With Chaka Khan, Gladys Knight, Etta James, and Marvin Gaye as some of her favorite singers, there's no doubt that Mellow-D has something special brewing inside her young soul and Syl Johnson knew it the moment she sang her first note for him.

After Mellow-D passed Syl Johnson's test he offered her a record deal with his label Twilight/Twinight Records and she began recording "The Rebirth of Soul" which features three self-written songs and two outstanding remakes, "Love Makes a Woman" by Barbara Acklin and "Selfish One" by Jackie Ross. If soul music can unite two people from different generations and different sides of the globe, then it can bring the souls of others together. Mellow-D is ready to sing her way into the soul of anyone who dares to listen.

From Mellow D ~2~ MELODY

Introducing to the US ~ MELODY a.k.a. Mellow-D, crowned Australia's Finest as she breaks out with her Sweet, Soulful, Melodic tone with a dose of "Old School Groove". At the tender age of her early 20's, she carries the heart and soul of her own favorites like Aretha Franklin and Marvin Gaye. A Neo-Soul singer equipped with powerful vocals and an All LIVE Band, her up and coming album represents the Rebirth of Twilight/Twinight Records after 40 years. The original home of Syl Johnson, Producer of the smash hit "So Confused" by Syleena Johnson. Stay tuned as she graces your ears with her fresh sound.

When it was recognized and brought to our attention that the name Mellow-D has become confused with others such as "if you Google Mellow-D you get male rappers, DJ`s in connection to hardcore music nature, etc., as stated by Professionals like Dr. Syleecia Thompson (Author, Executive VP of Business Affairs-Twilight Records, Inc., CEO of DYG Management) it was obvious that the best logical interest of the artist would be to revert back to the Musical version of her name "Melody". It carries a powerful significance to the sweet yet soulful sounds that transmit from her wind pipes. "At the end of the day Melody is who she is..." as stated by John Carrier (Chief Promotions Operator, Twilight Records, Inc. UK Branch).

All current merchandise for Mellow-D is available at cdbaby.com, iTunes, Amazon.com, etc. Stay Tuned for...

Melody presents "The Rebirth of Soul"

This album represents the Rebirth of Twilight/Twinight Records after 40 years. Even while dormant for so long, still artists like Syl Johnson, the Notations and others are starting to develop a demanding interest amongst today's younger generation. Recently referred to as "The Young Lady with the Iron Lungs", Melody (formerly known as Mellow-D) is breaking out with a New Authentic Approach to Old School Soul. All recordings were recorded Analog as the Old 60's-70's original machines to capture the warm, genuine sounds of Live Musicians.

Music

Edited by Boxy
Social source share

I've only heard four tracks so far ("Selfish One", "Half Of Love", "Turn Back The Hands Of Time" and "Love Makes A Woman") but I'm impressed.

Mellow-D (...or Melody as she's now known) shows promise and she's at the right age.

Syl is hoping to do a revue featuring Mellow-D next year.

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!