Smudger

• Replies 22
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

hi does anyone know anything or have a copy of this?

https://www.divshare....2827164-bff.jpg

Absolutely killer track recently unearthed by John Smith. I played it on the show on the show a couple of weeks ago and it had an incredible reaction! Turns out, the other side "I Got To Have You" is even better and I'm kicking myself that I didn't play that as well. Will play 'em both again this Sunday along with some other goodies from the Emkay label like this one:-

One Way Ticket - The Hypnotics

th_513494.jpg?t=1286973917

The records were released in 1979 but it turned out to be a tax dodge of some sort, so neither the Otis Williams or Hypnotics tracks ever got properly distributed and only a handful radio copies made it out. The producer was Kent Washburn who was a Motown staff producer at one point. Phenomenal discoveries!

The Otis Williams record is pretty much one of the best 70's double-siders I think I've ever heard. Hopefully these will be a future Soul Intention releases. It's hard to believe that repertoire of this quality is still out there!

By the way Smudge, I owe you one for that none appearance last year so I'll make sure you get sorted if we can grab some more copies OK?

Best,

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

...but called it an unreleased 7" (?)

I thought it was at the time Jason. I had no idea that the tracks had actually come out until John posted the Hypnotics scan after I played it. I didn't even know about the Otis Williams until Smudge posted that scan either. It's blown me away that the Otis Williams has been out there for 31 years without it cropping up before........

Both of 'em must be rare as hell.

Social source share

Absolutely killer track recently unearthed by John Smith. I played it on the show on the show a couple of weeks ago and it had an incredible reaction! Turns out, the other side "I Got To Have You" is even better and I'm kicking myself that I didn't play that as well. Will play 'em both again this Sunday along with some other goodies from the Emkay label like this one:-

One Way Ticket - The Hypnotics

th_513494.jpg?t=1286973917

The records were released in 1979 but it turned out to be a tax dodge of some sort, so neither the Otis Williams or Hypnotics tracks ever got properly distributed and only a handful radio copies made it out. The producer was Kent Washburn who was a Motown staff producer at one point. Phenomenal discoveries!

The Otis Williams record is pretty much one of the best 70's double-siders I think I've ever heard. Hopefully these will be a future Soul Intention releases. It's hard to believe that repertoire of this quality is still out there!

By the way Smudge, I owe you one for that none appearance last year so I'll make sure you get sorted if we can grab some more copies OK?

Best,

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Hi ian is there any sound files?? A track I heard at Lifeline at Bidds by Big george had tag line Give it up ive got to have you screamin singer monster tune??

tont aberdeen

Social source share

Hi ian is there any sound files?? A track I heard at Lifeline at Bidds by Big george had tag line Give it up ive got to have you screamin singer monster tune??

tont aberdeen

Yep, you can hear it here @ around 73.45 in.......sounds great even though the stream is somewhat ropy........

https://www.sixmillionsteps.com/6MS-2010-10-03-Starpoint.mp3

Social source share

Soul 45's issued on Emkay - thanks to J Soulsmith for the info....

EM1004 - 45 - ONE WAY TICKET/DON'T BURN NO BRIDGES by THE HYPNOTICS

EM1005 - 45 - THE LONE RANGER/NEVER MAKE YOU STAY by THE HYPNOTICS

EM1006 - 45 - TURN ME ON/GOT TO GET AWAY by ACT III

EM1007 - 45 - JUST KEEP ON LOVIN ME/I WANNA BE FULLY LOVED by THE LOVE SET

EM1008 - 45 - I COULD STAY ALL NIGHT/DON'T SURPRISE YOURSELF by CHARLES DRAIN

EM1009 - 45 - UNKNOWN

EM1010 - 45 - TAKE ME BACK/I GOT TO HAVE YOU by OTIS WILLIAMS

Social source share

Soul 45's issued on Emkay - thanks to J Soulsmith for the info....

EM1004 - 45 - ONE WAY TICKET/DON'T BURN NO BRIDGES by THE HYPNOTICS

EM1005 - 45 - THE LONE RANGER/NEVER MAKE YOU STAY by THE HYPNOTICS

EM1006 - 45 - TURN ME ON/GOT TO GET AWAY by ACT III

EM1007 - 45 - JUST KEEP ON LOVIN ME/I WANNA BE FULLY LOVED by THE LOVE SET

EM1008 - 45 - I COULD STAY ALL NIGHT/DON'T SURPRISE YOURSELF by CHARLES DRAIN

EM1009 - 45 - UNKNOWN

EM1010 - 45 - TAKE ME BACK/I GOT TO HAVE YOU by OTIS WILLIAMS

Ian D :(

Ian one way ticket great track :-)0 would you have any sound clips of I GOT TO HAVE YOU track??

Social source share

Ian due to family commitment gonna be unable to catch track sundat can you post me a sound clip please??

No probs. I'l be posting a link of the show up on Monday. For anyone who can catch the show, I'll be playing both "Take Me Back" and "I Got To Have You" at around 3.20pm today on www.starpointradio.com.

Social source share

only 5 copies of otis williams / hypnotics exist im told held by mr washburn untill recently

ive heard some of the other stuff--WAIT TILL YOU HEAR---Charles Drain--------------------------------------woooooooooooooshhhhhhh

I've heard 3 unreleased Charles Drain's including the nifty version of "Lifetime Guarantee On Love" but I think you may have heard the other ones which I'm told are exceptional. I'd better get on the case!

It makes you wonder where the rest of the pressing runs went on Otis Williams and the Hypnotics doesn't it? Probably in landfill somewhere near St Louis by the sound of it............

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• 1 month later...

I'm pleased to announce that the deal has now been done and the next release on Soul Intention wil be ...

SI005 - Otis Williams - Take Me Back / I Got To Have You

Hope to have it available by mid Jan.

This has got to be one of the best 70's double-siders ever!

Phil

Social source share

Yes both sides are excellent 70's dancers,and the never before issued Charles Drain is stunning although Kent says he would like to do more with the track before letting it out.alltough it sounds complete to these ears.

It does to me too. But that's why I only collect and release 'em instead of making 'em :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!