• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry to say that it seems to be true.

I'm trying to get some information.

Weldon was a client and a friend for many years, a unique character with a warm sense of humour.

I'll miss him.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

I'm sorry to say that it seems to be true.

I'm trying to get some information.

Weldon was a client and a friend for many years, a unique character with a warm sense of humour.

I'll miss him.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

yes paul, try and get this story sorted if you can. i think the soul world will be waking up to this in the next few hours if its confirmed, just spoke to kev roberts and he wasnt aware...ive just logged on and am gobsmacked. he was a giant and true pioneer of soul music through his work in detroit and philadelphia, so many of his productions/compositions familiar to the northern soul scene...will be greatly missed.

Social source share

Somewhere on Soulful Detroit, there is a link to a good radio interview he did in the U.S. within the last year or so. Sad loss a east coast powerhouse, original member The Larks where he sang bass. Weldon went on to be an east coast promotions manager with Motown, along with being part owner of Harthon records.

He gave Barbara Mason her first break, asking her to join the group on stage to sing one night at a local club where she sang moon river, she got a standing ovation. He then arranged for her to cut her first record at Arctic. Later working with Kenny Gamble he had no small hand in helping develope Philadelphia International.

He was a great showman, writer, producer alround talented guy and one of the people that founded what was to become The Philly Sound.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

yes paul, try and get this story sorted if you can. i think the soul world will be waking up to this in the next few hours if its confirmed, just spoke to kev roberts and he wasnt aware...ive just logged on and am gobsmacked. he was a giant and true pioneer of soul music through his work in detroit and philadelphia, so many of his productions/compositions familiar to the northern soul scene...will be greatly missed.

I couldn't get hold of Weldon recently, he lives alone so there wasn't anyone to tell me anything. I assume he was in the hospital.

Weldon was 74 and he'd had some health issues but had recovered and was doing pretty good.

I'll try calling some of his friends to find out what happened.

Social source share

Guest veep1296

From Soulful Detroit Forum

STEVE CALDWELL (THE ORLONS)

Just called me with the news.

Rest in piece my friend

CEASAR

THE

ORIGINAL

TYMES

Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

What sad news.

Meeting Weldon at Hitsville in Orlando with the rest of the Harton team was incredible and humbling.

He was a true gentleman, a fantastic raconteur of the many experiences of his life and was so excited to sit around and chat. (I especially enjoyed his story about keeping Edwin Starr and Blinky Williams apart in a limo)

Dave, I am sure you are very sad as I know you spent many hours on the phone and in this great mans company.

Rest In Peace Weldon McDougal III your legacy and memory will be cherished

Edited by Mark Holmes
Social source share

Even at age 74 Weldon was still very sharp, very hip and always funny. His memory was excellent, full of fascinating stories from the golden days.

He was "rich" in the sense that he had an interesting and exciting life and he made an awful lot of friends.

Now he's at peace and he won't be forgotten.

Social source share

Even at age 74 Weldon was still very sharp, very hip and always funny. His memory was excellent, full of fascinating stories from the golden days.

He was "rich" in the sense that he had an interesting and exciting life and he made an awful lot of friends.

Now he's at peace and he won't be forgotten.

R.I.P really sad news yet again.......

Social source share

I just found out about this earlier today and I'm deeply saddened. Weldon was absolutely one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Hitsville Weekender in 2006 and also got to hang out with him in Philly. He called me every once in a while just to keep in touch and was always upbeat. Even from the first moment I met him, he greeted me with a bear hug and was all smiles.

When Dave and I were doing There's That Beat! magazine, Weldon was one of the people who was always doing his best to promote the publication, to contribute to it and do whatever he could to spread the word and boost it up. He was also willing to call in favors and try to connect us with other people in the music World. The man was absolutely the salt of the Earth and a true giver-just a generous person in every way. He was the kind of guy that kept track of your personal life and showed concern and remembered things, too.

One of my great regrets is not returning a recent phone call from him and now that will never happen. It was something that I was getting around to doing and for personal reasons I just couldn't. It just goes to show that you could be talking to people one day and the next day, they're gone. You can't take anyone for granted.

Weldon meant a lot to the Hitsville / There's That Beat! gang and so many others. I shed some tears for him today and he sure deserves them because the World was so much better with him in it. I'll really miss him and always remember the good times.

His spirit and his musical legacy will be with us forever.

R.I.P. Weldon...I'm gonna miss you buddy.

-Jason

Social source share

...One of my great regrets is not returning a recent phone call from him and now that will never happen. It was something that I was getting around to doing and for personal reasons I just couldn't. It just goes to show that you could be talking to people one day and the next day, they're gone. You can't take anyone for granted...

Jason, that sums up the way I feel today... guilty that I didn't return every call or enquire more often as to how he was doing, putting things off until another day. I think it's a natural reaction when someone dies.

Time is very precious so we should all try to make a little more time for our friends and even try to forgive our enemies.

Tomorrow may be too late.

Paul

post-3850-014778500 1287781198_thumb.jpg

Weldon with Martha & The Vandellas in 1967

post-3850-093075400 1287782325_thumb.jpg

Harthon Productions

post-3850-025719800 1287783976_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Sad, sad news... but I have to say that I'm annoyed. No doubt we will see many submissions on here regarding Weldon's sad passing. What a shame I didn't get the same response only a month ago when I posted a request for questions to put to Weldon for inclusion in a Manifesto article. I was hoping to get people involved and all I got was one comment about Weldon's photographs. Nobody could obviously be bothered at the time. Well I hope you all can now! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Sad, sad news... but I have to say that I'm annoyed. No doubt we will see many submissions on here regarding Weldon's sad passing. What a shame I didn't get the same response only a month ago when I posted a request for questions to put to Weldon for inclusion in a Manifesto article. I was hoping to get people involved and all I got was one comment about Weldon's photographs. Nobody could obviously be bothered at the time. Well I hope you all can now! :thumbsup:

its a sad but not unusual trait of ours as human beings that we DO take everything and everyone for granted, we forget we're not immortal. the saying goes that the good ones go first and by god, this scene has seen some wonderful people from all walks of life leave the stage and all we're left with is the memories and the regret we didnt make the effort more often to keep in touch...we just have to accept that. while we're alive we're just another part of the furniture and weldon is a name synonomous with the culture we have grown up with, we just dont appreciate the enormity of the loss until it happens and, as has been said here already, we really should learn to cherish more who, and what weve got.

Social source share

You can't expect such a post to get the same response as Weldon's passing, it's a completely different thing.

I didn't see your posting anyway. But it's fair to say that many people are busy and probably assumed others had responded, it's not always a case of not being bothered.

Many posts on soulsource get overlooked.

Social source share

Weldon.....What a character! l first met him in 1979 and spent most of the 80s trekking around Philly with him, checking out various locations and sources including Sigma and Joe Tarsia, Virtue and Frank Virtue, Frankford Wayne etc.....He knew everybody and was a real fun guy to be around. We kind of lost touch in recent years but l am proud to have known him. Weldon a pioneer, music maker and all round Soul Gent - R.I.P. Buddy.

Respect

David.

Social source share

RIP big man

I remember that Philly video on here recently & Weldon was talking & sharing his thoughts & memories, he stopped to wipe the sweat from his brow & said " i don`t want to shine on you folks" & beamed the biggest, warmest smile.

The term legend is over used ....................... not in this gentleman's case

Sad sad loss

Social source share

'Hi, You've reached Weldon Arthur McDougal the Third, I can't get to the phone at the minute but leave a message and I'll get back to you....HOOOOOOHAAAAAH!!'

The words above are what greeted you if you called Weldon on Friday afternoons. He had an almost ritualistic routine of going to the movies every Friday to see the latest escapism movies and I think he used to still, at over 70 years old, wonder at the movies and he felt they were the access to a whole new world. To speak about movies with Weldon wes like listening to a nine year old who was always enamoured by the cinema experience. I'll miss those chats.

Weldon's contribution to the world of music is well documented and he provided access to many of Philly's revered soul locations for many on this forum I'm sure. Record hounds, music fans, soul detectives, or just passing visitors, Weldon had the same enthusiasm for everyone. He could cajole, bluff, beg, borrow and steal his way into and out of many situations that would perplex lesser folks!

Here's a few personal memories of mine :

The Scam Artist: On a trip to Philly with Dave and Janet Ferguson

'Hey Dave (Dave Ferguson), give me your room number in case I need to call you later.' As Dave settled his hotel bill he realised Weldon had put all his valet parking on his bill! :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

The Enabler

ME: 'Weldon, Can you get us in to see Pete Humphries?' (Legendary Sigma Sound Engineer and current owner of MasterWorks (Frankford Wayne)).

2 hours later Dave F and I were sifting Gamble and Huff master tapes and listening to Pete's pet project with the TSOP catalogue library on the Fat Controllers chair in his private listening room.

The Raconteur

Many people featured in Weldon's tales of a musical life, many of them not too complimentary! But he always had a way of finishing the stories off with a funny down to earth comment. When Kev Parker and I were being 'entertained' by him at Red Lobster (Man, Weldon could chomp down those prawns like they were going out of fashion!), he finished off one story with the immortal punchline....'Man...I ain't gonna be with no woman ain't got no personal hygiene'. The story will have to remain under wraps but if you catch me out I'll tell you the whole story :thumbsup:

The Musical Maestro Playing Virtue acetates and Harthon records in a hotel room....'I like the way you can tell a good record fom the first few seconds Dave, Like me....You got good ears Man!

The Friend Weldon - 'The real heroes of Philly Sound were Luther and Johnny. Luther was the magic music maker, Johnny was the magic organiser and it all made my job easy I just had to sell the magic'.

Weldon (on phone) - 'Hey Dave, is Bev there? I wanna wish her a Happy Birthday!' (We used to call him on his birthday and sing Happy Birthday to him then put the phone down.

Weldon (To Jason and I) - Guys, You've done a wonderful thing. Not many people in Philly know exactly what we did at Frank's place, (Frank Virtue's studio), but they sure do now! You really did a number on us!

At Hitsville 2 in Florida, the Harthon Trio were treated like royalty by the Hitsville Gang, Limousines, autographing 45s, CD sales, posters, interviews etc etc. This culminated in us playing a solid hour of their music with the dancefloor full throughout. It was the first time they'd ever seen people dancing like that to their music and it was all a little overwhelming for them. A great memory shared by us all and one of the highlights of my time as a black music fan.

Weldon's illness took him but it didn't beat him. He made the decision to move on rather than go through the tubes etc that may have extended his time here. That's the measure of the man, a full blown, larger than life, effervescent character who's beaming smile lit up many a conversation. You could never be 'down' with Weldon, he always left you feeling upbeat. And that's how I'll always remember him. Taking on the world, excited by the next opportunity that was going to make hima millionaire. But he knew how rich he really was, you only had to llisten to him talk about his Grand daughters to realise that.

I return to Spain on Tuesday and that evening Bev and will dig the Dyno Dynamics 45s out and celebrate Weldon's music, while remembering the man and the special times we spent together.

Sleep well my giant friend, you take many people's best wishes with you and of course.....Congratulations on a job EXTREMELY well done Sir.

Regards,

Dave

PS. If anyone is not fully familiar with Weldon's work click on the video below that Jason put together.

Social source share

Guest Keep the Boy Happy

Think you have captured the memories we have of Weldon brilliantly in that post Dave-you certainly have a way with words!!

'Tis true that the tale telling from the 'Red Lobster' will live with Kev for always.....he certainly relates it to me often enough and I was there!!!

RIP Weldon.

Bev & Kev P

Social source share

Guest veep1296

'Hi, You've reached Weldon Arthur McDougal the Third, I can't get to the phone at the minute but leave a message and I'll get back to you....HOOOOOOHAAAAAH!!'

The words above are what greeted you if you called Weldon on Friday afternoons. He had an almost ritualistic routine of going to the movies every Friday to see the latest escapism movies and I think he used to still, at over 70 years old, wonder at the movies and he felt they were the access to a whole new world. To speak about movies with Weldon wes like listening to a nine year old who was always enamoured by the cinema experience. I'll miss those chats.

Weldon's contribution to the world of music is well documented and he provided access to many of Philly's revered soul locations for many on this forum I'm sure. Record hounds, music fans, soul detectives, or just passing visitors, Weldon had the same enthusiasm for everyone. He could cajole, bluff, beg, borrow and steal his way into and out of many situations that would perplex lesser folks!

Here's a few personal memories of mine :

The Scam Artist: On a trip to Philly with Dave and Janet Ferguson

'Hey Dave (Dave Ferguson), give me your room number in case I need to call you later.' As Dave settled his hotel bill he realised Weldon had put all his valet parking on his bill! :thumbsup:thumbsup.gif

The Enabler

ME: 'Weldon, Can you get us in to see Pete Humphries?' (Legendary Sigma Sound Engineer and current owner of MasterWorks (Frankford Wayne)).

2 hours later Dave F and I were sifting Gamble and Huff master tapes and listening to Pete's pet project with the TSOP catalogue library on the Fat Controllers chair in his private listening room.

The Raconteur

Many people featured in Weldon's tales of a musical life, many of them not too complimentary! But he always had a way of finishing the stories off with a funny down to earth comment. When Kev Parker and I were being 'entertained' by him at Red Lobster (Man, Weldon could chomp down those prawns like they were going out of fashion!), he finished off one story with the immortal punchline....'Man...I ain't gonna be with no woman ain't got no personal hygiene'. The story will have to remain under wraps but if you catch me out I'll tell you the whole story :thumbup:

The Musical Maestro Playing Virtue acetates and Harthon records in a hotel room....'I like the way you can tell a good record fom the first few seconds Dave, Like me....You got good ears Man!

The Friend Weldon - 'The real heroes of Philly Sound were Luther and Johnny. Luther was the magic music maker, Johnny was the magic organiser and it all made my job easy I just had to sell the magic'.

Weldon (on phone) - 'Hey Dave, is Bev there? I wanna wish her a Happy Birthday!' (We used to call him on his birthday and sing Happy Birthday to him then put the phone down.

Weldon (To Jason and I) - Guys, You've done a wonderful thing. Not many people in Philly know exactly what we did at Frank's place, (Frank Virtue's studio), but they sure do now! You really did a number on us!

At Hitsville 2 in Florida, the Harthon Trio were treated like royalty by the Hitsville Gang, Limousines, autographing 45s, CD sales, posters, interviews etc etc. This culminated in us playing a solid hour of their music with the dancefloor full throughout. It was the first time they'd ever seen people dancing like that to their music and it was all a little overwhelming for them. A great memory shared by us all and one of the highlights of my time as a black music fan.

Weldon's illness took him but it didn't beat him. He made the decision to move on rather than go through the tubes etc that may have extended his time here. That's the measure of the man, a full blown, larger than life, effervescent character who's beaming smile lit up many a conversation. You could never be 'down' with Weldon, he always left you feeling upbeat. And that's how I'll always remember him. Taking on the world, excited by the next opportunity that was going to make hima millionaire. But he knew how rich he really was, you only had to llisten to him talk about his Grand daughters to realise that.

I return to Spain on Tuesday and that evening Bev and will dig the Dyno Dynamics 45s out and celebrate Weldon's music, while remembering the man and the special times we spent together.

Sleep well my giant friend, you take many people's best wishes with you and of course.....Congratulations on a job EXTREMELY well done Sir.

Regards,

Dave

PS. If anyone is not fully familiar with Weldon's work click on the video below that Jason put together.

:lol:

Social source share

Loved the part in the making of the stange world of northern soul dvd when he was helping

to show the crew round a record store in Pilly. The owner was talking when Welton butted in

Hey you guys from England would get a hardon in here. Priceless stuff seemed to come over as a

witty and very cheery guy.

God bless the big man.

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Just received a message from Donzella Berry aka Nella Dodds

Donzella Berry October 26 at 9:02pm Report

I'm so sorry to hear that Weldon passed away. He was a great guy. We had so much fun in the studio and on stage. He stayed in touch. Lately I hadn't heard from him. I will surely miss him

Social source share

• 8 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!