60S Juke Box Strips

post-9478-061339200 1287132459_thumb.jpg

I like juke box strips. I think they are marvellous little things, very evocative items that somehow help connect a 45 with the people and places of the times in which it was released.

It's very easy to conjure up mental images of a record for which you have a juke box strip actually being played in a bar somewhere in 1960-whenever, and to imagine people dancing to it, or enjoying hearing it in the background whilst chatting with friends over a beer or a soda.

From there you start to wonder what else was on that same juke box, how often 'your' 45 got played, and what sort of sounds were popular with customers.

Anyone else get a kick out of these little rectangles of printed paper? Also, does anyone out there buy/sell these at all? I'd like to track down more of them...

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

post-9478-061339200 1287132459_thumb.jpg

I like juke box strips. I think they are marvellous little things, very evocative items that somehow help connect a 45 with the people and places of the times in which it was released.

It's very easy to conjure up mental images of a record for which you have a juke box strip actually being played in a bar somewhere in 1960-whenever, and to imagine people dancing to it, or enjoying hearing it in the background whilst chatting with friends over a beer or a soda.

From there you start to wonder what else was on that same juke box, how often 'your' 45 got played, and what sort of sounds were popular with customers.

Anyone else get a kick out of these little rectangles of printed paper? Also, does anyone out there buy/sell these at all? I'd like to track down more of them...

Hi,

Yep, I collect them too. Sadly, I've no jukebox as yet but like you I feel the juke box title strips add a connection with the discs. I also collect the small Juke Box picture inserts, distributor stickers, sheet music, magazine adverts, cardboard records, mini records, and all the other promo materials that the era used.

I'm sure there are lots of us around. Be good to start a thread so people can maybe post some images up?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Got quite a few full sheets from the 70s/80s.

They are mainly reissues made for the Oldies jukeboxes.

They include quite a few "Stax Double Hitters" which were double a sides, also a few Motown Yesteryears and Barbara Lynn "Trying To Love Two" on Ichiban.

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

I used to have loads from when I had my own 45's in my pubs juke box back in the early 80's. The company we rented the juke box from printed them up with the details I gave them. Not really original I know but at least the record were. Don't know what happened to them but after several moves around the country they're probably in some landfill by now.

Social source share

Blimey, I just chuck them away as I thought there wasn't any interest in them. Got a lot of mint store stock 45s and loads had/have one inside the record sleeve. Maybe I should start keeping them all from now on!

Social source share

Never mind the strips, I just won this, I thought it was a once in a lifetime chance to find one, I already have a full sized jukebox but this is beautiful..

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...:EOIBSA:GB:1123

That is beautiful! Nice work, hope a replacement speaker works out!

I've got one of these...

Rowe-Ami-Cadette.jpg

....that needs repair, must get on to it!

Social source share

That is beautiful! Nice work, hope a replacement speaker works out!

Cheers, might be a problem though, the sellers have now ignored 3 messages from me about possible pick up, their official ebay email address bounces, I'm getting the feeling that theyb think they sold it too cheaply and are just hoping I'll get pissed off with them and not pay. So I paid yesterday. Still no communication from them whatsoever, very odd.

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Cheers, might be a problem though, the sellers have now ignored 3 messages from me about possible pick up, their official ebay email address bounces, I'm getting the feeling that theyb think they sold it too cheaply and are just hoping I'll get pissed off with them and not pay. So I paid yesterday. Still no communication from them whatsoever, very odd.

Pete,have you tried sending a message via one of the other items they have for sale on ebay?......................

Social source share

This thread doesn't make much sense to me, if you follow that link I put above, you'll find the software to make your own jukebox strips and they look identical to anything that's been posted up on here, what's the point of going all gooey over something you could make yourself in 2 minutes? (Cue someone saying ah but you can tell my jukebox strips are original because they smell old)

Social source share

Sure, Pete. And I could post up a link to a vinyl pressing plant where you can make your own records! laugh.gif

That's not the point though, is it? For some people, like me, original juke box strips are part of the paraphernalia of music collecting, just in the same way as original press ads are, or artists' publicity photos. It's not everyone's thing, but it is part of the whole for me.

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

Sure, Pete. And I could post up a link to a vinyl pressing plant where you can make your own records! laugh.gif

That's not the point though, is it? For some people, like me, original juke box strips are part of the paraphernalia of music collecting, just in the same way as original press ads are, or artists' publicity photos. It's not everyone's thing, but it is part of the whole for me.

It's a lot more difficult to create an identical copy of a vinyl record and it's label, correct type of plastic etc than to create a 2" by 1/2" scrap of paper Russell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!