• Replies 15
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This one never turns up, but thought most of you would have missed it as it's in the reggae section

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item1c16333c73

...Nice version of Fontella Bass' 'Leave It In The Hands Of Love' on the flip, too (mistitled, in typically Jamaican fashion, as 'We Have Happiness'...)

As Pete says, never turns up on original Trojan (although it's been re-pressed in both the UK and USA)

Social source share

...Nice version of Fontella Bass' 'Leave It In The Hands Of Love' on the flip, too (mistitled, in typically Jamaican fashion, as 'We Have Happiness'...)

As Pete says, never turns up on original Trojan (although it's been re-pressed in both the UK and USA)

Yes, but the UK re-press is only available in the 'Trojan Box Set' of singles???

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes, but the UK re-press is only available in the 'Trojan Box Set' of singles???

..which I think is actually deleted now.

Many reggae dealers broke the boxes up and made the 45s available separately, so if anyone really wanted one they are out there.

But the Jamaican repress (which is actually repressed in the USA) looks nicer, as its on a reproduction of the original Jamaican label and it's on a nice translucent orange (from memory) vinyl.

I think my pal Phil Etgart's probably got some US represses in stock for under four quid, if the price of the original Trojan 45 is too rich for most people's blood (philetgart@tinyworld.co.uk)

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

But the Jamaican repress (which is actually repressed in the USA) looks nicer, as its on a reproduction of the original Jamaican label and it's on a nice translucent orange (from memory) vinyl.

Are you saing that the Trojan issue was the first, not a Jamaican issue that was "repressed" in UK on Trojan?

Social source share

Are you saing that the Trojan issue was the first, not a Jamaican issue that was "repressed" in UK on Trojan?

It came out firstly in the 60s obviously in Jamaica on a blank (Which is how I own it) then with a label - Duke Reids "Sure Shot" label

Then over here on Trojan - thats my take on it !

A fantastic record by one of Jamaicas best ladys !

post-6465-084122800 1287316711_thumb.jpg

Social source share

It came out firstly in the 60s obviously in Jamaica on a blank (Which is how I own it) then with a label - Duke Reids "Sure Shot" label

Then over here on Trojan - thats my take on it !

A fantastic record by one of Jamaicas best ladys !

post-6465-084122800 1287316711_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mossy, thats what I tought also.

I got the "sure shot" copy too :thumbsup:

Social source share

What a truly awful version this is IMO.A lot of covers of this song and most better.

A really intresting, inspired and worthwhile post

After all these years and I didnt realise Phyllis Dillon was crap

I shall go and take my head for a shit

cheers :thumbup:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

No, the 'Trojan repress' that I was referring to was the on in the 'Judge Sympathy' boxed set of Trojan singles that came out about two years ago.

As Mossy says, it came out in Ja. first although I don't necessarily agree with his chronology about the blank then the label - it's more likely that those were pressed more or less simultaneously.

I've no idea why Trojan called her 'Shirley Kay' on the UK label, it's not hard to work out that it's Phyllis Dillon (who'd already had a lot of decent sized hits by the time of 'Make Me Yours' original release.

And for the record there's nothing even slightly 'awful' about it - it;s a really nice arrangement and Phyllis sings it as well as Bettye Swann. If the production had been just a liitle punchier there would have been very little to separate it from Bettye's in terms of quality. As it is, it''s easily the best version after Bettye's.

And I do mean 'easily'.

Social source share

No, the 'Trojan repress' that I was referring to was the on in the 'Judge Sympathy' boxed set of Trojan singles that came out about two years ago.

As Mossy says, it came out in Ja. first although I don't necessarily agree with his chronology about the blank then the label - it's more likely that those were pressed more or less simultaneously.

I've no idea why Trojan called her 'Shirley Kay' on the UK label, it's not hard to work out that it's Phyllis Dillon (who'd already had a lot of decent sized hits by the time of 'Make Me Yours' original release.

And for the record there's nothing even slightly 'awful' about it - it;s a really nice arrangement and Phyllis sings it as well as Bettye Swann. If the production had been just a liitle punchier there would have been very little to separate it from Bettye's in terms of quality. As it is, it''s easily the best version after Bettye's.

And I do mean 'easily'.

Great Stuff ! Absolutely Totally !

The reason I understood the Jamaican blanks to be issued first, is down to somthing I was told a few years ago.

That being the 45s were pressed on blanks initially and as the DJs spun the blanks hopefully creating enough demand for

another run - then the labels would be printed / added at this stage as they were destined for the public sale.

I always understood blanks to be no more than pre release / promo discs

Best M

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Great Stuff ! Absolutely Totally !

The reason I understood the Jamaican blanks to be issued first, is down to somthing I was told a few years ago.

That being the 45s were pressed on blanks initially and as the DJs spun the blanks hopefully creating enough demand for

another run - then the labels would be printed / added at this stage as they were destined for the public sale.

I always understood blanks to be no more than pre release / promo discs

Best M

That's generally true, but sometimes (quite a few times, in fact) some of the bigger producers did a run of blanks when they had run out of stock labels. if they felt there was still a bit of mileage in the tune. It's hard to say for certain which tunes this happened with - like some much 'infomation' on Jamacian music, nobody who was around at the time cared enough to take note. But it doesn't necessarily follow that the blank came first on every occasion.

Unless, of course, the tune only came out on a blank!:thumbup:

BTW I may have recounted this story on here before - but in case I haven't, the miscrediting of artists on certain UK labels was not always done out of ignorance. Junior Lincoln, who ran Bamboo and Banana here (and before that was label manager for Studio One and Coxsone throughout the existence of both UK imprints) told me, many decades ago, that he was instructed by Coxsone Dodd to change label credits in the UK to reflect whoever was hot at the time.

So, if Ken Boothe or Alton Ellis was the man man of the moment, for instance, he'd alter the label copy in the hope that he'd fool a few people into thinking that, for example, the latest Heptones 45 was by Ken or Alton (as happened with 'Fattie Fattie' and 'Only Sixteen' respectively. Of course, once the Heptones got bigger he would then start to change the credits on, say, a Gaylads 45 to read the Heptones. And so it went - Marcia Griffiths became Norma Frazer (and vice versa), Bob Andy became Alton Ellis, Carlton and the Shoes became Roy Richards Dennis Alcapone and Leroy Horsemouth Wallce both became 'Mad Roy' to cash in on U Roy, etc. etc

There are many examples of this on Studio One, Coxsone, Bamboo and Banana, almost all of them deliberate.

Of course, the fact that the conniving Dodd did not want his artists to know that their 45s were available and selling overseas contributed to this deception too...

Social source share

And I do mean 'easily'.

[/quoteGreat info -thanks . Personally love the Phyllis version, long time fav - played it locally a year ago and got hammered on ss . 'Dave Godin 'would turn in his grave'. With that in mind its back in the play box

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!