Who Remembers Notts Palias Sturday Nights In Bali Hi 84-87

Just been thinking about old venues ive been involved in over the years, and by far the best had to be the saturday night sessions at the notts palias in the bali hi between 1984 -87. Originally this was meant to be a oldies night but around that time id just sold my first collection of originals and been out and brought every current big 60's sound i could lay my hands on ,Plus a load of at the time unknowns the nights ran from 8pm till 1 am with just myself d.jing at first . They quickly became popular with the nottingham crowd of the time. After around 6 months i started to get guest's on with the likes of Keb and Guy doing regular sets . interest grew and before i knew it we had people coming from everywhere the music policy was now upfront 60's .. This got the attention of a certain promoter of the time who wanted to run allnighters at the palias and use down stairs as well . Within a year and a half Shaun Gibbons had moved in promoting his allnightrers but i n negotiations with manager Mick Knight ihad retaind the use of the bali hi and keep the musicall policy the same we had many great night with sum of what are classsed as classic sounds being spun donw there first loads of s.s's used to go byrne ,kitch ,chalky ,andy dyson ,to name a few :thumbsup:thumbsup.gif:wave:

Edited by speedlimit
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just been thinking about old venues ive been involved in over the years, and by far the best had to be the saturday night sessions at the notts palias in the bali hi between 1984 -87. Originally this was meant to be a oldies night but around that time id just sold my first collection of originals and been out and brought every current big 60's sound i could lay my hands on ,Plus a load of at the time unknowns the nights ran from 8pm till 1 am with just myself d.jing at first . They quickly became popular with the nottingham crowd of the time. After around 6 months i started to get guest's on with the likes of Keb and Guy doing regular sets . interest grew and before i knew it we had people coming from everywhere the music policy was now upfront 60's .. This got the attention of a certain promoter of the time who wanted to run allnighters at the palias and use down stairs as well . Within a year and a half Shaun Gibbons had moved in promoting his allnightrers but i n negotiations with manager Mick Knight ihad retaind the use of the bali hi and keep the musicall policy the same we had many great night with sum of what are classsed as classic sounds being spun donw there first loads of s.s's used to go byrne ,kitch ,chalky ,andy dyson ,to name a few :thumbsup:thumbsup.gif:wave:

USED to go to the room downstairs on a Teusday night circa 1974...if they got 20 in it was a miracle, great sounds though.

Bt ever thought about organising a Notts Palais reunion....hard hat on :(

Social source share

Just been thinking about old venues ive been involved in over the years, and by far the best had to be the saturday night sessions at the notts palias in the bali hi between 1984 -87. Originally this was meant to be a oldies night but around that time id just sold my first collection of originals and been out and brought every current big 60's sound i could lay my hands on ,Plus a load of at the time unknowns the nights ran from 8pm till 1 am with just myself d.jing at first . They quickly became popular with the nottingham crowd of the time. After around 6 months i started to get guest's on with the likes of Keb and Guy doing regular sets . interest grew and before i knew it we had people coming from everywhere the music policy was now upfront 60's .. This got the attention of a certain promoter of the time who wanted to run allnighters at the palias and use down stairs as well . Within a year and a half Shaun Gibbons had moved in promoting his allnightrers but i n negotiations with manager Mick Knight ihad retaind the use of the bali hi and keep the musicall policy the same we had many great night with sum of what are classsed as classic sounds being spun donw there first loads of s.s's used to go byrne ,kitch ,chalky ,andy dyson ,to name a few :yes::lol::D

Remember them well Steve. One of the many cracking nights we had in the ahem..."dead 80s".

It did get a good few in as well.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

There is another thread started on here relating too the Palais and Bali Hi,some great photo's too...can the moderaters post the shortcut to it please..Thanx Graham. ps i too attended the Palais regular...thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Last time I was at Nott's Palais before they turned it intoa disco flashing floor light circus was 1983 - we put on an All Nighter, placewas buzzing and packed - just too many rules from the manager a short fat guyif I remember rightly - we could only start after 1.30 he ran the door and tooka % of the taking - still get people talking about it even now - I rememberlooking around outside the Palais and seeing people all the way down the streetto the car park around back - another box ticked in the must do - Soul life

PSC

Notts 1983.pdf

Social source share

Just been thinking about old venues ive been involved in over the years, and by far the best had to be the saturday night sessions at the notts palias in the bali hi between 1984 -87. Originally this was meant to be a oldies night but around that time id just sold my first collection of originals and been out and brought every current big 60's sound i could lay my hands on ,Plus a load of at the time unknowns the nights ran from 8pm till 1 am with just myself d.jing at first . They quickly became popular with the nottingham crowd of the time. After around 6 months i started to get guest's on with the likes of Keb and Guy doing regular sets . interest grew and before i knew it we had people coming from everywhere the music policy was now upfront 60's .. This got the attention of a certain promoter of the time who wanted to run allnighters at the palias and use down stairs as well . Within a year and a half Shaun Gibbons had moved in promoting his allnightrers but i n negotiations with manager Mick Knight ihad retaind the use of the bali hi and keep the musicall policy the same we had many great night with sum of what are classsed as classic sounds being spun donw there first loads of s.s's used to go byrne ,kitch ,chalky ,andy dyson ,to name a few :thumbsup::lol::D

I wondered about that at the time, going to a soul night when finished queuing again for the all-nighter.

Was this your night Steve ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert