The Sound Of Keele

Geeselad

With this lonstanding venue not with us anymore I thought it might be nice to reflect on the sounds that were big here in its halcyon days, (mid 8ts- early 9ts).

There's been loads of stuff on here about the holy trinity of 70's venues, but at the time this was probably, along with the 100 club, the most signifigant venue from this underlooked era of the scene. OK I know it was know as primarly an oldies allnighter but the reactivations and revivals are still of interest, as well as the breaking nighter sounds.

To start us off here are a couple I certainly remember being massive when the venue first started,

Doug Banks- I just kept on dancing

Howard Guyton - Iwatched you slowly slip away

Imaginations- strange neighbourhood.

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

OK I know it was know as primarly an oldies allnighter but the reactivations and revivals are still of interest, as well as the breaking nighter sounds.

To start us off here are a couple I certainly remember being massive when the venue first started,

You said it geeselad,

It never really was a venue that 'broke' records or at least it wasn't known for it.

Those tunes you've listed were 'broke' and played elsewhere. I remember Doug Banks from Warrington Parr Hall (I think) and as for Howard Guyton and The Imaginations I seem to recall hearing them in the early days of Stafford or maybe even before.

Mick

Social source share

You said it geeselad,

It never really was a venue that 'broke' records or at least it wasn't known for it.

Those tunes you've listed were 'broke' and played elsewhere. I remember Doug Banks from Warrington Parr Hall (I think) and as for Howard Guyton and The Imaginations I seem to recall hearing them in the early days of Stafford or maybe even before.

Mick

Howard Guyton was a mecca sound wasn't it ? Certainly well before Stafford.

Imaginations was played at Wigan & Yate & prob loads of others ?

Social source share

I can't think of one record "broken" at Keele? Even in the early days when Neil and Jackie ran it.

Loved the place in the early days but not so much since its been "done up"/changed. Musically after places like Blackburn when Guy ran it and Mexborough, Shotts etc which were pretty forward thinking Keele took too much of a step backwards for my liking with the oldies, still a good night out though and a fab record bar back then, loads of deals done there.

Social source share

You said it geeselad,

Mick

fair point mate, I got into nighters around 87, so I just seemed to me that these tunes were associated with this place having missed out on late wigan and even Stafford, but I think its fair to say that these were absolutly hammered @ keele, like 3 time a night! I know these were played previously on the scene but to many on the scene who were teens or early 20's then, I think they'll be eternallly associated with that venue.:thumbsup:

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

With this lonstanding venue not with us anymore I thought it might be nice to reflect on the sounds that were big here in its halcyon days, (mid 8ts- early 9ts).

There's been loads of stuff on here about the holy trinity of 70's venues, but at the time this was probably, along with the 100 club, the most signifigant venue from this underlooked era of the scene. OK I know it was know as primarly an oldies allnighter but the reactivations and revivals are still of interest, as well as the breaking nighter sounds.

Keele was a great fav of mine late 80s early 90s

A mate of mine (Richie Buckley) was actually there at university so we sort of used his room after the allnighters to mong out

I brought my pal from the Mod scene (Dom Basset) up from London for one allnighter there, He could not believe the tunes ,

but found it such a shame that no one bothered dressing smart laugh.gif

My best musical memories are probably mark bicknells sets - I think that is where I first heard the "Four tracks" voodoo man

and "Mathew Barnett - if your love is real and a 100 more goodies.

Keel may have not been breaking tunes to fans that had been on the scene for 20 years or more - but I guarantee you that

this 20 year old was hearing plenty of new and exiting things every time I attended !!!!

Still got my patches and my memories.

I used to travel up from london and back in one night for that one

I can't even be arsed going 10 miles to prestatyn these days

Edited by mossy
Social source share

4028222840.jpg First time I heard this there , :yes:

I don't care how many copy's of that turned up !

It is still and will always be an absolute stormer for me !!

No matter how many times I have heard it......................................

That intro...................Its just a really great record, I don't care if it costs a fiver !

and a perfect flip side !

Social source share

I don't care how many copy's of that turned up !

It is still and will always be an absolute stormer for me !!

No matter how many times I have heard it......................................

That intro...................Its just a really great record, I don't care if it costs a fiver !

and a perfect flip side !

If i could sort a top ten favourits this would be in there,if i had a box of thousand pound records i wouldnt have a problem sticking this in with em'.

Social source share

Keele was a great fav of mine late 80s early 90s

A mate of mine (Richie Buckley) was actually there at university so we sort of used his room after the allnighters to mong out

I brought my pal from the Mod scene (Dom Basset) up from London for one allnighter there, He could not believe the tunes ,

but found it such a shame that no one bothered dressing smart laugh.gif

My best musical memories are probably mark bicknells sets - I think that is where I first heard the "Four tracks" voodoo man

and "Mathew Barnett - if your love is real and a 100 more goodies.

Keel may have not been breaking tunes to fans that had been on the scene for 20 years or more - but I guarantee you that

this 20 year old was hearing plenty of new and exiting things every time I attended !!!!

Still got my patches and my memories.

I used to travel up from london and back in one night for that one

I can't even be arsed going 10 miles to prestatyn these days

Happy happy days buddy! We were 18 and for us it was pretty incredible and we were absorbing so many tunes new to our ears. You'd come up and doss at my room there and then I'd come down to London for the 100 Club. That record bar was something else. I remember lending Bicknell dosh to buy Sherlock Holmes. I also bought Tobi Lark "Happiness Is Here" the same night for £18 on a Topper demo which I still have. Happy days. Check this pic out from April 1989 of me and thee with hair! But what the f**k is that caterpillar above your lip :thumbsup:

Richpost-1228-027147900 1287242243_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Happy happy days buddy! We were 18 and for us it was pretty incredible and we were absorbing so many tunes new to our ears. You'd come up and doss at my room there and then I'd come down to London for the 100 Club. That record bar was something else. I remember lending Bicknell dosh to buy Sherlock Holmes. I also bought Tobi Lark "Happiness Is Here" the same night for £18 on a Topper demo which I still have. Happy days. Check this pic out from April 1989 of me and thee with hair! But what the f**k is that caterpillar above your lip :lol:

Richpost-1228-027147900 1287242243_thumb.jpg

fook !

where did that picture come from ?

I was just copying the big boys like roger banks and mick smith. :thumbsup:

I wish I was 18 again.

I have more love than ever for music and collecting it but have no intrest in going out.

I turned into a right misrable old twat.

Keel was a fantastic place and a great period in our young lifes as you say Rich.

I am getting a lump in my throat.

The record bar :D All the weeks wages gone, no food, scrounging off the girlfreind - nothing changes !!!

see ya soon Rich :thumbsup:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

fook !

where did that picture come from ?

I was just copying the big boys like roger banks and mick smith. :lol:

I wish I was 18 again.

I have more love than ever for music and collecting it but have no intrest in going out.

I turned into a right misrable old twat.

see ya soon Rich :thumbsup:

I only just saw your PM from weeks ago and have just replied. I reckon we do the 100 Club pal and you can crash at my place down there...

R

Social source share

I only just saw your PM from weeks ago and have just replied. I reckon we do the 100 Club pal and you can crash at my place down there...

R

HELL YEAH !!! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hi jack the thread chaps !!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest souldjer 1

we would travel from plymouth by car mini bus or coach in 80s,met up with soulfull friends from all over the uk.loved every visit.

totally changed my lifestyle.thanks to all the folk who ran this great nighter over the years..miss it when its gone dont we...

deano,

Social source share

Thats exacxtly where I'm coming from, and judging by the age of a lot of atendees to the last King hall, some punters who first atended keele nighters are are returning!

Social source share

Howard Guyton was a mecca sound wasn't it ? Certainly well before Stafford.

Imaginations was played at Wigan & Yate & prob loads of others ?

Correct - first played by IL at the HR .

Malc

Social source share

Same for me in 82....never knew them at the time...so exciting back then when all sounds were new at Leicester Oddfellows to my ears!

Funnily enough I've just booked Nov 2011 off work so I can attend the Australian Nationals in Melbourne (where I happen to have relatives too)

I went to last nationals in Melbourne in 2006 and it was so great to see a young crowd hearing the music for the first time!

Oz is like UK 30 years ago...bloody love it!

Social source share

Thats exacxtly where I'm coming from, and judging by the age of a lot of atendees to the last King hall, some punters who first atended keele nighters are are returning!

Keele was a popular venue with the returnees to the scene in the early 90's so that maybe why there was plenty at Kings Hall.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Just been reading this and got to thinking about " Rob the stick " the record dealer who always had a walking stick throughout the 80's until he turned up at one Keele miraculously cured but wearing a dress and demanding to be called Robyn with a Y. Last saw him at Blackburn mid 90's. I was just wondering if he ever got his sex change and if she's still around now.

P.S. She was dog ugly as a bloke, and looked a lot like a Les Dawson drag act as a trannie. Remember him being barred from Winsford for going into the ladies.

I remember him/her at newbury sat next to me and asked me if i wanted a manifesto never heard it called that before frigging ran a mile

Social source share

From a DJ perspective I was at the top of my game late 80's early 90's and had some banging nights at Keele, a nothing record that went huge for me was Reggie Alexander - It's Better - Boss which started life as a cheapie I picked up from Ritchie Andrews in North Wales left it in the not sure box then started to play it, alway's ended my spot at Keele with it and it went massive, another one was Big Daddy Rogers - I'm A Big Man - Midas, a class venue which was alway's packed to the rafters.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

From a DJ perspective I was at the top of my game late 80's early 90's and had some banging nights at Keele, a nothing record that went huge for me was Reggie Alexander - It's Better - Boss which started life as a cheapie I picked up from Ritchie Andrews in North Wales left it in the not sure box then started to play it, alway's ended my spot at Keele with it and it went massive, another one was Big Daddy Rogers - I'm A Big Man - Midas, a class venue which was alway's packed to the rafters.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Thanks Mark, can remember you spinning Daddy Rodgers up there and it sudenly shooting up in price from around 30 to a ton pluss.

Social source share

I always associate the Chris Clark version of " Do I Love You" with Keele (plus other Motown unissued tracks that turned up in that era too)

Perhaps it was that time, perhaps it was a relatively new phenomenon? but certain folk would emphasise the "fill your heart with Ecstasy" lyric, and think it was hilarious.

Like others have said my favourite part of the early Keele was the record bar, but can I share this memory with you -

I once took a mate to Keele who hadn't been to a Niter in ten years. He asked me if we could leave about five in the morning - because he was bored "with all the Oldies" !

I said "lets give it ten minutes, it might improve" and on came Baby Hit & Run, Sisters Love (which was having it's umpteenth overplaying revival) followed by Ghost In My House.....

...... I should add I thoroughly enjoyed my (somewhat earlier than usual) motorway services breakfast that nite :thumbsup:

(R.I.P. Dougie, even with ten years off you knew the difference between "once great but now had their day tunes" and real deal northern soul)

Social source share

Jog your memory Mark? I played Reggie alexander at the 100 club one night and you came up to the stage and asked what it was! got it off Tim ashibende (Stafford times) and had previously played it at Stafford,Colin Law made it a cult thing in Scotland..Don´t think it was ever cheap(lucky buy) as it always has been an elusive detroit number.

Steve

Back on subject..Keele, went once or twice early days,hated it ,don´t know why just did! two records i recall-Peels-Time marches on and Ketty Lester-Somethings better left unsaid.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

keele was great for me, having been in the army from 82-91, my last few years in the forces was based in UK, cambridge , and keele always seemed to be on when i had a weekend off, went a few times in '88 and '89, then on and off thru the 90's, tunes i remember from them earlier days are

sam dees-lonely for you baby, sammy ambrose-welcome to dreamsville, heard bobby bland-yum yum tree for the first time at keele, the record bar was the business, got a few in there, bobby sheen,for below zero,charades, ac reed, took them back to camp and some twat from blackpool broke into my locker nicked the lot, couldn't prove it but i knew it was him...needless to say he could only slurp soup for a few days

Social source share

Just been reading this and got to thinking about " Rob the stick " the record dealer who always had a walking stick throughout the 80's until he turned up at one Keele miraculously cured but wearing a dress and demanding to be called Robyn with a Y. Last saw him at Blackburn mid 90's. I was just wondering if he ever got his sex change and if she's still around now.

P.S. She was dog ugly as a bloke, and looked a lot like a Les Dawson drag act as a trannie. Remember him being barred from Winsford for going into the ladies.

Was a regular at the Phoenix Allniter in Holyhead in the 90's, the Les Dawson look alike is perfect description.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark I thought you got Reggie Alexander of Mr Foster.

Social source share

Jog your memory Mark? I played Reggie alexander at the 100 club one night and you came up to the stage and asked what it was! got it off Tim ashibende (Stafford times) and had previously played it at Stafford,Colin Law made it a cult thing in Scotland..Don´t think it was ever cheap(lucky buy) as it always has been an elusive detroit number.

Steve

Back on subject..Keele, went once or twice early days,hated it ,don´t know why just did! two records i recall-Peels-Time marches on and Ketty Lester-Somethings better left unsaid.

Hi Steve i got it of you (still have it) outside the Old Vic Wolv for a straight trade for Donald Jenkins on Cortland:thumbsup:

Social source share

He / She did get His / Her sex change, and was featured on the TV programme "The Real Little Britain" ( a "comical" look at larger than life "characters")

It was on this programme where He / She was notable for saying something on the following lines - "I love going out looking for men for sex in Nottingham, there's nothing I like better than getting my hip knocked out of it's socket"

Funniest story about Rob the Stick, is the fact that some wag used to take his stick and cut a few mm off it at every allnighter, so it got shorter and shorter as time went on....

I remember walking into the Ritz allnighter, and Robyn was unloading his sales boxes from the back of a Land Rover in full Dress and Heels.

He turned to us and said "Isn't anyone going to help a Lady?"

You can imagine the response.

Social source share

My time at Keele was early 90s,fantastic place great atmosphere with an edge that you never felt anywhere else,hard to explain.Sounds from the venue that made an impact on me were GLADYS KNIGHT & PIPS---STOP AND GET A HOLD OF MYSELF, JIMMY & VELLA CAMERON---LOVING YOU IS SUCH A GROOVE, LARRY SAUNDERS--ON THE REAL SIDE. Remember Robyn bought a few records from HIM/HER never took my time browsing though

Social source share

Great venue in it's day, second only to Wigan for records in my humble opinion purchased some tuff choons there, sort of a reactivated oldies venue from a number of venues always top dance choons played,

and I made some long standing frienships at Keele

always have a place in my heart :lol::thumbsup::D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!