Why Do Some Dj's

Guest Northern PhanTom

Guest Northern PhanTom

Why do some DJ's slow the tempo of their set to a crawl even though they are not the last DJ on, makes no sense to me if you have the floor full why wind it down. Ive heard the lame excuses of ah well gives you a rest between jocks and also its the only time these tunes get played but come on guys/gals if you've got the floor pumping why dip it for the next one on?

Tom;)

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

For me the tempo of the records dosent matter if it moves me I will be on the floor some modern mid-temp to sweeter side are great dancers imo. Quality always fills the floor

Kieran

Social source share

Quality always fills the floor

Kieran

Now Kieran, you know that's not true.:lol:

Mass popularity fills the floor!:thumbsup:

I remember dancing myself (that is, on my own on an empty dancefloor) at Stafford back in the day to newly discovered but yet to be proved Quality tunes.....

But back to Toms original question; there is some truth that the more slower, mellow tunes, even if they are of Quality are just no good in the middle of the night and a good DJ knows better. Slower, mellow should not, however, be confused with rousing beat ballads in the vein of Kell Osborne which WILL generally fill the floor.

Mick

Edited by Mick Howard
Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

was the floor still full ?

Full of peeps trying to re-adjust their dance rhythm only to have it smashed again 10 minutes l8r, cracking beat balads always to me have a background up tempo sweet spot. I'm talking about DJ's who set out to bid the crowd farewell as if they were rounding the night off.:thumbsup:

Tom :yes:

Social source share

Full of peeps trying to re-adjust their dance rhythm only to have it smashed again 10 minutes l8r, cracking beat balads always to me have a background up tempo sweet spot. I'm talking about DJ's who set out to bid the crowd farewell as if they were rounding the night off.:yes:

Tom :lol:

:thumbsup: That's just bad manners. Even if you've failed miserably to impress with your own choices it's just common courtesy to set things right for the next dj.

- Kev.

Social source share

Giffer in the soul scene sense is usually a man of late forties up to fifties soul music collector who is a deejay (never was back in the day but now he has a few quid in his pocket he can splash out)....he has lost the fire of youth and the excitement of fast northern soul records and prefers to smoothly glide side to side to mid tempo and beat ballads...he has probably had a health scare.......and this is what he plays to the floor.If asked he says his tastes have matured and looks for the soulful content in a record.:lol:

Some of the new youngsters on the scene who giffers would call divs...use the term in a derogatory wa "what's this load of crap this old giffer playing" and will walk up and remonstrate with the dj....usually "is it time to go home? DJ "No".Div "well why are you playing all this slow crap?" DJ "I paid £300 for this". Div "I don't care if you paid 50p its crap", play something I can dance to .... DJ Looks at his mates at the bar....

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Giffer in the soul scene sense is usually a man of late forties up to fifties soul music collector who is a deejay (never was back in the day but now he has a few quid in his pocket he can splash out)....he has lost the fire of youth and the excitement of fast northern soul records and prefers to smoothly glide side to side to mid tempo and beat ballads...he has probably had a health scare.......and this is what he plays to the floor.If asked he says his tastes have matured and looks for the soulful content in a record.:thumbsup:

Some of the new youngsters on the scene who giffers would call divs...use the term in a derogatory wa "what's this load of crap this old giffer playing" and will walk up and remonstrate with the dj....usually "is it time to go home? DJ "No".Div "well why are you playing all this slow crap?" DJ "I paid £300 for this". Div "I don't care if you paid 50p its crap", play something I can dance to .... DJ Looks at his mates at the bar....

Jesus, do you know me....?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!