Another Frank Beverly On E-Bay

• Replies 39
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Seem to have seen a few over the last year on various sites, allways thought this one was a rarity?

Agreed Harry .

It was always cited as being so , but as we all know too well these days , records previously considered as being " rare " are now turning up on a regular basis due to American sellers / dealers being savvy about / clued up on NS records .

Malc

Social source share

did this also come out on another label which is rarer than this label ?

Sassy?

Edit: Rouser, of course. Was thinking of If that's what you wanted.

Edited by Dante
Social source share

FB on Ebay is the relisted one as it didn't reach reserve

any one noticed the Lynn terry 2 in the space of a week one at $3700 and the other $1800 some one must be real pissed

:thumbsup: Hi TED....As you know, I have collected SOUL records for over 40 years now, in that time there have been many trends in what constitutes as a RARE collection, and of coarse we all know how fickle prices of rare soul fluctuates year in year out, it seems to me, that the rare UK product still cant bust through the £1K position (I am aware of 2 or 4 have),

But it is the USA Originals that have me going every time! for example in the 8ts I used to sell a few records like "thats whiskey talking" on TARX, Gil Blanding "rules" Sam Dee's SSS int, & the Ringleaders (remember) for around £10,

This is my question WHY is the Frankie Beverly classed as rarer than his "she kissed me" F-1012A which come out a couple of months before? I am of coarse aware that "because my heart" is the best of the 2, but rarer when it came out twice? I don't get it, taking this on board both records are great and hard to get, and as I and others have noticed that (because) has been advertised a few times this year, "she kissed me has not? I still cant see the why theres a big jump in price, it's not because it's rarer, and surely people who use this site are not gelable,? are they. Could you do a piece on just why over the last 20 years there has been such a dramatic juxtaposition with rare soul, PLEASE:ph34r: DAVE

Social source share

:thumbsup: Hi TED....As you know, I have collected SOUL records for over 40 years now, in that time there have been many trends in what constitutes as a RARE collection, and of coarse we all know how fickle prices of rare soul fluctuates year in year out, it seems to me, that the rare UK product still cant bust through the £1K position (I am aware of 2 or 4 have),

But it is the USA Originals that have me going every time! for example in the 8ts I used to sell a few records like "thats whiskey talking" on TARX, Gil Blanding "rules" Sam Dee's SSS int, & the Ringleaders (remember) for around £10,

This is my question WHY is the Frankie Beverly classed as rarer than his "she kissed me" F-1012A which come out a couple of months before? I am of coarse aware that "because my heart" is the best of the 2, but rarer when it came out twice? I don't get it, taking this on board both records are great and hard to get, and as I and others have noticed that (because) has been advertised a few times this year, "she kissed me has not? I still cant see the why theres a big jump in price, it's not because it's rarer, and surely people who use this site are not gelable,? are they. Could you do a piece on just why over the last 20 years there has been such a dramatic juxtaposition with rare soul, PLEASE:ph34r: DAVE

demand dave. because of my heart is a massive oldie with a top tune flip and people dont know she kissed me. sometimes rarity has nothing to do with it

dave

Social source share

demand dave. because of my heart is a massive oldie with a top tune flip and people dont know she kissed me. sometimes rarity has nothing to do with it

dave

can we realy say people don't know "she kissed me" in 2010 ?

its got the classic soul sound to it and I always assumed it was considered an oldie :thumbsup:

so prehaps time to grab another one and wait for the demand then ?

previosuly had and sold it like many thigns.

Social source share

any one noticed the Lynn terry 2 in the space of a week one at $3700 and the other $1800 some one must be real pissed

it was in slightly less attractive condition and up for best offers whereas the other was a "real" auction, wasn`t it ? Still gutted I missed the second one though..

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

it was in slightly less attractive condition and up for best offers whereas the other was a "real" auction, wasn`t it ? Still gutted I missed the second one though..

Marc

cant believe he accepted 1800 must have known what the other one went for wish i had bid as well mind it is a pop record:lol:

Social source share

You wouldn't believe what good negotiating can do :wicked:

Lot of money for a styrene copy descibed as VG- ....hope it's a better copy than desribed, when it finally arrives Dave:thumbsup:

even at $1800 it's twice as much as another rough copy from last yr

https://www.popsike.com/Rare-Northern-Soul-Lynn-Terry-La-Salle-LA0070ab-45/320328927767.html

Edited by NEV
Social source share

Lynn Terry at $3700 seems a little high, although rare it dont do it for me.

Anyway back to Frank Bev I sold a copy about 3 wks back which was up for offers it went for £2000 in the end and I had two other people willing to pay very close to that as well and actually from some of the feed back I got after I announced it as sold, was that the other two might have wished they'd bid a little higher.

In this case I selling what had to be probably the finest copy around I'm not sure it had ever been played until I did the sound file and condition is what drove this one up to £2k. As someone quite rightly mentioned its appeal is its a classic double sider which although does turn up demand still exceeds supply for good copies.

She kissed me is also quite hard but no where near as rare as BOMH and is available on east and west coast labels.

Cheers Darren

Social source share

Lynn Terry at $3700 seems a little high, although rare it dont do it for me.

Anyway back to Frank Bev I sold a copy about 3 wks back which was up for offers it went for £2000 in the end and I had two other people willing to pay very close to that as well and actually from some of the feed back I got after I announced it as sold, was that the other two might have wished they'd bid a little higher.

In this case I selling what had to be probably the finest copy around I'm not sure it had ever been played until I did the sound file and condition is what drove this one up to £2k. As someone quite rightly mentioned its appeal is its a classic double sider which although does turn up demand still exceeds supply for good copies.

She kissed me is also quite hard but no where near as rare as BOMH and is available on east and west coast labels.

Cheers Darren

the finest copy for a demo lol:rolleyes:

dave

Social source share

A far inferior take as well, as the Rouser one doesn't feature the sax break...as if it has been simply cut out! :thumbsup:

Hello Dave,

The Rouser release does have a sax break, it's a shorter break than the Fairmount.

Interesting looking at the credits on the two releases, how Tommy Rouse had got dropped from the production credits for the Fairmount release, "The Butlers with Frankie Beverly" changed to "Frankie Beverly & The Butlers".

Regards,

Ady

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

It don't do it for a lot but it does for some and at $3700 it's not bad considering how rare it is, nobody knew it few years ago.

Hate to disagree with you mate, but it was also a Stafford record and a lot of people knew it. I was after a copy ever since I heard it via George Sharp which must be about 23 years ago. Never seen one for sale before those two and the copy Kenny Burrell sold earlier in the year. But then again sure I do not see everything LOL!

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Hate to disagree with you mate, but it was also a Stafford record and a lot of people knew it. I was after a copy ever since I heard it via George Sharp which must be about 23 years ago. Never seen one for sale before those two and the copy Kenny Burrell sold earlier in the year. But then again sure I do not see everything LOL!

Not saying it was unknown, maybe should have worded it better, the vast majority of todays scene I doubt even knew it till a few years ago when it appeared on a cd? You rarely heard it out. Karl Willingham I think had a copy, Tim B has/had one.

Social source share

Hello Dave,

The Rouser release does have a sax break, it's a shorter break than the Fairmount.

Interesting looking at the credits on the two releases, how Tommy Rouse had got dropped from the production credits for the Fairmount release, "The Butlers with Frankie Beverly" changed to "Frankie Beverly & The Butlers".

Regards,

Ady

you mean as it was added to the rouser release as this is the 2nd issue

dave

Social source share

Hi Ady, hope you're well squire and hopefully we'll catch up over Chrimbo :thumbsup:

I recall the inst break was heavily edited...after the first 10 blasts of the sax? :lol:

Very curious to hear the rouser variation with the different sax breakdown (for some reason I always assumed it was exacly the same tune pressed on the two labels). So if anyone has it a refosoul upload would make my day:D

Social source share

:lol: Hi TED....As you know, I have collected SOUL records for over 40 years now, in that time there have been many trends in what constitutes as a RARE collection, and of coarse we all know how fickle prices of rare soul fluctuates year in year out, it seems to me, that the rare UK product still cant bust through the £1K position (I am aware of 2 or 4 have),

:lol: Hi All.....I thought I would attach the a scan of my copy of "she kissed me" to conplete the thread:ohmy: what is it#s value today

:lol: DAVE K

post-13241-007869900 1288131092_thumb.jp

post-13241-007869900 1288131092_thumb.jp

Social source share

There's another nice little record by them on the Guyden label, very early group sound, almost doowop. Wonder where that fits into things date wise :hatsoff2:

Sadly I'm not set up to do sound clips, there's probably a clip somewhere on the net.

very nice record...amongst the very fiirst I ever found in Berlin of all places in 1987. Thats 24 years after this the first Butlers 45 was made.

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

very nice record...amongst the very fiirst I ever found in Berlin of all places in 1987. Thats 24 years after this the first Butlers 45 was made.

Hi Mark,

Just did a quick net search & on Answers.com there's a little write up about Frankie Beverly. They say on there the Guyden record came out after "She tried to kiss me", didn't know that. Here's a part of the write up :

They debuted on Philly's Liberty Bell label with "She Tried to Kiss Me" in 1963; the ditty, written by Beverly and Collins, sparked some interest locally, but not enough to keep them with Liberty Bell, as their next release, "Lovable Girl" (1963), came out on Guyden Records. The popular Philadelphia group worked the clubs but didn't appear on record again until they backed Jean Wells and Charles Earland (uncredited) on "I Know That She Loves Me" on Phila Records in 1966; Phila also issued a solo 45 for the Butlers that same year entitled "Laugh, Laugh, Laugh" b/w "Butler's Theme."

A switch to Rouser Records in 1966 resulted in "Because of My Heart," credited as the Butlers With Frankie Beverly; the billing change didn't increase sells and by 1967 they were recording for Fairmount Records. The marriage produced two reissues of previous material that didn't do much better the second time around. Next, Sassy Records tried to get a hit with "Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)" b/w "If That's What You Wanted," and might have with better promotion. A liaison with Parkway Records birthed one flop single in 1967. In 1968, they hooked with Gamble Records, their first release being a reissue of "Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)"; the second, "She's Gone" b/w "Love Is Good," never escaped Philadelphia's city limits in 1969.

Social source share

...They debuted on Philly's Liberty Bell label with "She Tried to Kiss Me" in 1963...

As "She tried To Kiss Me" was picked up by Cameo/Parkway for national distribution I would have thought it was released after the Guyden record. The Guyden record definitely was pressed 1963. So who knows ?

Cheers

Marc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!