Soul @ The Mill

Thanks to all who turned up at soul @ the mill last night. The night was full of different sounds from your classics to stuff you might not of heard before. A big thankyou to Ian cunliffe, Phil therfall, steve clayton the guest dj's for supporting us and playing some fantastic northern soul. Graham and rod on the door, oh and nick for the sweets. Yum. Also the residents Danny Carol and John.

Hope that all who turned up enjoyed it and £330 was raised for St Cathrines hospice.

See you all soon

Danny Clegg

K.T.F

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Middle of the night, playing records and can't sleep as usual ... ...

Last night was about the 4th time I've been to The Mill and the first time I'd played there. What a blinding night!!! Good sized crowd in, particularly when you consider what else is on this weekend, and an absolute pleasure they were too. So refreshing when folk are prepared to give a chance to records they may not necessarily know and it sure makes playing em so much more enjoyable.

Fantastic to see so many really good friends knocking about: Tony n Joan, Ian n Jane, Mrs and Mrs W, Derek Smith, Mr and Mrs K, Bri, Col M, Carl n Kev, Nige, Johnny n Chris etc. Great bunch and an absolute pleasure to spend the evening with you as it always is. (Great to have a bit of a chat to you too Rod - top fella - even though you thought my avatar on here was a photo of me, thus pointing out how dfifferent I looked since losing all my hair :lol:)

Musically, Carol kicked things off and great to hear Dusty and a lovely tribute to Gen Johnson, nice one :D I'd never heard Steve C play before but he always has a tasty sales box when you see him out ... ... I thought his spot was superb; a really well thought-out and balanced mix of high class 60s and 70s of all tempos (and a genuinely nice bloke too!).

I tried to play a set with a bit of something for everyone; a few oldies, couple of 70s bits to keep the floor going plus the odd rarity and request (forgot the Vontastics Kev, sorry mate). I'd been fretting about what to play to be honest and while I certainly didn't play anything too radical by any means it was still really good of folk to give em all a fair go regardless - thanks for that :thumbsup:

Ian C (aka my dad) was up next and he treated us to his usual blend of top-notch dancers, interspersed with the odd mega-rarity and thinking man's oldie. Ian never fails to keep the floor busy for his full hour wherever he's dj-ing and last night was no different (mind you, he should know what he's doing after all this time :lol: )

Danny and John O picked-up and carried on the theme of the night for the last two hours which, to my ears anyway, was high class soul whatever the era, genre, rarity, value etc. Top stuff played by both lads; must've been good, my missus danced her socks off. (How good does George Smith still sound when it's played out btw :D )

Many thanks once again guys for asking me to play a few records and I'll see you all at the next one for sure.

If you ain't been ... ... The Mill is a superb venue, absolutely made to measure, and the team of promoters and residents really do deserve the strong support that they've established and built up over the years; I reckon they've done that most difficult of things which is to get the balance right musically. That's gotta augur well guys, especially in a market which sometimes seems to me to be awash with either same-old, same-old or those who might just occasionally confuse different / new / rare with good enough - IMHO of course. Actually, I don't think the recipe is much of a secret is it: play consistently good enough dance records to an open-minded, up-for-it crowd who wanna dance in a decent venue :yes: ) (Oh aye, and it's for St C's hospice which is about as good as a cause can get IMHO). What's not to like?

Got records all over the oche so while I can just about remember here's what I think I played last night. As I say, nothing too radical by any means and a bit of a mixture looking back :lol:

Innersection - let me love yuh (Group 5)

Bill Brandon - streets got my lady (Piedmont) - request

Hesitations - is this the way to treat a girl (GWP)

Edward Hamilton - baby don't you weep (Mary Jane)

Thelma Lindsey - prepared to love you (Magic City)

Four Pros - everybody's got some soul (Carla)

Cody Black - too many irons in the fire (D-Town)

Darrow Fletcher - what good am I without you (Jacklyn)

Frankie Beverley & the Butlers - because of my heart (Fairmount) - request

Velvelettes - a bird in the hand (VIP)

Jackie Wilson - soul galore (Brunswick)

Lorraine Rudolph - keep coming back for more (Jetstream)

Lee Williams - lost love (Carnival)

Rose Brooks - I'm moanin' (Soul City)

Cairos - stop overlooking me (Shrine) - request

Les Chansonettes - don't let him hurt you (Shrine)

Eddie Daye & Four Bars - guess who loves you (Shrine)

Big Frank & the Essences - I won't let her see me cry (Blue Rock)

Johnny McCall - you can't get away (Satellite)

Tommy Turner - lazy (El Bam) - request

Monique - if you love me (show me) (Maurci)

Ed Bruce - I'm gonna have a party (Wand)

Few I had intended to play but never got round to it for one reason or another so sorry if you asked and I said I would then didn't; maybe next time.

Right, kip for me! All good at The Mill :yes:

cheers x

Edited by PhilT

Hi all :yes: , just like to say a big thank you to all at the mill last night for a fantastic night, first time their and thoroughly enjoyed it, good choons from all the DJ`s and a brilliant crowd. Will definately be going back for some more :lol: . Finally a big thank you to ROD andDANNY for making me and Julie feel very welcome :thumbsup: .

KTF Pete & Julie

Edited by Padiham Pete

probably the best night i have been to at the mill....from start to finish the music was first class.....from carol at the start to the old man mr.orritt at the end...great crowd ,nice sweets from nick ,hope your problem is sorted danny:rolleyes: and the weekend complete with the toffees beating the red muck...:thumbup: .....by the way phil dont forget "daybreak"...and i would have to say the best 2 records of the night were played by your goodself.."ed bruce. im gonna have a party" and "les chansonettes. dont let him hurt you" .....roll on next time.

Hi Danny

Well what can we say the venue was great DJ's playing really good sounds (Thought I knew a lot of sounds but it seems I was wrong) great mix of music which hopefully appealed to everyones tastes.

Rod and yourself made us very welcome even though Derby were playing some game called football against???

Willie and his crew were at their best as always shame some of the crew could not make it.

So there's no confusion for Rod just tell him Bud sends his regards (saves him trying to rememeber my name)

Anyway great nite great people we look forward to doing it again.

KTF

Dave & Julie (from Derby)

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

I too thoroughly enjoyed last night, really good mix of music which left me with aching calfs today from dancing so much.

Dave & Julie, it was so good to see you both last night & I'm sorry I spoiled the suprise!

Hope to see you all next time,

Carol

Edited by Girl Dancer

Hi Danny

Well what can we say the venue was great DJ's playing really good sounds (Thought I knew a lot of sounds but it seems I was wrong) great mix of music which hopefully appealed to everyones tastes.

Rod and yourself made us very welcome even though Derby were playing some game called football against???

Willie and his crew were at their best as always shame some of the crew could not make it.

So there's no confusion for Rod just tell him Bud sends his regards (saves him trying to rememeber my name)

Anyway great nite great people we look forward to doing it again.

KTF

Dave & Julie (from Derby)

Hi Dave and Julie :thumbup: , got home ok no hold up`s` on the m/way then :thumbup: ???, cousin came up from pompy yesterday, she said it was bad on the m/way also. Good job you were traveling back early sunday morning, anyhow glad you and Julie got home safe. Hope to see you again at another venue soon :thumbup: .

KTF Pete and Julie

Edited by Padiham Pete

Hi Danny....... What a tonic........ Fantastic evening, so all your hard work paid dividends, everyone I spoke with said they had an absolute awesome night,hatsoff2.gif

Great music throughout, along with a full dance floor. Sylvia `dancing on the carpet as she couldn't find space on the dance floor.:wave:

Thought the mix of tunes worked really well and what a nice guy Big Phil T is....... Thoroughly enjoyed Phil's spot.....:lol:

Many tanks to Carol and Steve for playing the request and Danny for Ronnie Mc which always gives me a boost.........:)

Great to see Dave & Julie aka the Darby Duo visiting the Mill for the first time...:thumbup: :thumbup:

Looking forward to the next one already...:thumbup:

Willie & Sue....:yes:

Hi Dave & Julie thanks for making the long trip over to the Mill....:thumbup:

Every one's looking forward to meet up with you again soon.

Glad you both enjoyed yourselves last night and hope you had a safe journey home.

Until next time, take care,

Willie & Sue.....:thumbup:

Myself & Jane had a fab nite along with our two travelin soulies Kev Jenks & Carl 20 pints Farrington loved the music a bit of somethin for everyone

had a great laugh on the nights of the round table table he he mi best buddy Phil T and the delectable Tracy along wi the Preston Diva Jumpin Joan & Tony, Janet & Derek Watty and Nigel where great company

Phil played a great spot as did all the other Dj,s dont know about playing Streets got my lady for Tracy tho Phil ha ha, its the only the second time ive been to the Mill but gonna pay another visit work permitin ect great to see that the Hospice will benifit from the nite all the hospices around the UK do a truely amazing job

and it was a pleasure to help out by playin a few 45,s .

Love , Peace & Happiness Always

Ian & Jane

xxx

Edited by IANCSLOFT
Guest REVILOT

probably the best night i have been to at the mill....from start to finish the music was first class.....from carol at the start to the old man mr.orritt at the end...great crowd ,nice sweets from nick ,hope your problem is sorted danny:rolleyes: and the weekend complete with the toffees beating the red muck...:thumbsup: .....by the way phil dont forget "daybreak"...and i would have to say the best 2 records of the night were played by your goodself.."ed bruce. im gonna have a party" and "les chansonettes. dont let him hurt you" .....roll on next time.

Bit late replying to this due to domestic dramas but you are bang on Kev.

Top night, top sounds and a very healthy 330 pounds for charity I notice from Danny's post.

That means we had 36 more paying customers this time than we had in August when it was 150 quid.

A truly across the board night - many many thanks to all concerned, not least the knowledgeable and appreciative folk such as your good self Kev.

Bit late replying to this due to domestic dramas but you are bang on Kev.

Top night, top sounds and a very healthy 330 pounds for charity I notice from Danny's post.

That means we had 36 more paying customers this time than we had in August when it was 150 quid.

A truly across the board night - many many thanks to all concerned, not least the knowledgeable and appreciative folk such as your good self Kev.

good to hear from you mr.orritt ..hope everything is ok .....the whole night ten out of ten...:thumbsup: already looking forward to next time

Guest REVILOT

good to hear from you mr.orritt ..hope everything is ok .....the whole night ten out of ten...:rolleyes: already looking forward to next time

Yeh, things not too bad now Kev

Today moved him into his alms house - sheeeesh

playlist from last week -

VELVETS IGOT TO FIND ME SOMEBODY 2OTHCENTURY

JESSE FISHER YOU'RENOT LOVING A BEGINER WAYOUT

DOTTIE AND MILLIE TALKINBOUT MY BABY TOPPER

CLARA HARDY IDREAM OF YOU TUNA

GEORGE SMITH I'VEHAD IT TURNTABLE

JO ANN GARRETT AWHOLE NEW PLAN CHESS

CHARADES KEYTO MY HAPPINESS MGM

SHANE MARTIN INEED YOU EPIC

JIMMY MACK MYWORLD IS ON FIRE PALMER