Vava Voom, 16Th Oct

Well it was a mixed night Saturday. First of all thank you all for your support there certainly wasn't any problems regarding numbers. Thanks too for all the people who helped promote the night!

The problems we had started at 7.30 when the sound engineer that I'd booked 2 weeks previously & spoken to just days prior to the event still hadn't arrived for our 7pm arrangement! I subsequently phoned him only to find he'd completely forgotten about it & hastily said he'd send someone down! Eventually someone did arrive just after 8 & up until around 9.30 the sound was ok. After that the sound went downhill, after speaking to various sound enginneers & unable to get any help from them or the venue owners we had to do the best we could on our own & thanks to folk there who tried to help(Mr Thorley among them). One of the decks was also causing problems but managed to get that changed half way through Edu's 2nd spot.

We eventually got the sound to a reasonable standard but then had another problem.

A group of idiots that I didn't see as I was all over the place trying to sort the sound & who apparently are locals to the venue not our nights, started pissing about, winding people up, all the usual crap that these kinda twats normally do & apologies to anyone who was effected by them. After being asked on several occasions to behave & then asked to leave, one of them kicked a load of glasses off a table! Obviously after that they were ejected from the premises but then went on to smash a window next door & we believe caused a fight over the road as the police were there in attendance.

The manageress of the venue then tried to finish our night on the basis that the police were there, this was about 2-2.15 I think. I managed to persuade her to let us continue until just before 3 but unfortunately with the lights up!

My overall impression of the night obviously wasn't a good one. I felt the venue's response & approach far from proffesional & we're embarassed on behalf of the Dj's Butch & Edu who despite the sound problems did a sterling job! And to all the punters whose night was ruined & cut short despite all carrying on dancing for the last 30 mins with the lights up!

We've had a lot of texts & messages saying how people enjoyed the night for which we are very grateful!

I almost started to enjoy the night myself at one point...

So where to from here?

First of all if we're to run further nights then I think we'll have to make it strictly members only. To be honest this is the 1st time in 6 years of running the club that we've had any bother like this so maybe it was just one of those things that was bound to happen sooner or later?

Secondly as we're far from happy with the venue management & the sound system maybe it's time to look for somewhere else? Even if we did continue there can we guarantee them sorting the sound system etc?

We'd appreciate peoples opinions & suggestions & honest revues regarding the night & any future ventures either at the same venue or elsewhere.

Apologies once again & thank you once again for all your support!!

Cheers Ady, Yann & Joel.

Edited by ady lupton
  • Replies 54
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Ste Brazil

Well it was a mixed night Saturday. First of all thank you all for your support there certainly wasn't any problems regarding numbers. Thanks too for all the people who helped promote the night!

The problems we had started at 7.30 when the sound engineer that I'd booked 2 weeks previously & spoken to just days prior to the event still hadn't arrived for our 7pm arrangement! I subsequently phoned him only to find he'd completely forgotten about it & hastily said he'd send someone down! Eventually someone did arrive just after 8 & up until around 9.30 the sound was ok. After that the sound went downhill, after speaking to various sound enginneers & unable to get any help from them or the venue owners we had to do the best we could on our own & thanks to folk there who tried to help(Mr Thorley among them). One of the decks was also causing problems but managed to get that changed half way through Edu's 2nd spot.

We eventually got the sound to a reasonable standard but then had another problem.

A group of idiots that I didn't see as I was all over the place trying to sort the sound & who apparently are locals to the venue not our nights, started pissing about, winding people up, all the usual crap that these kinda twats normally do & apologies to anyone who was effected by them. After being asked on several occasions to behave & then asked to leave, one of them kicked a load of glasses off a table! Obviously after that they were ejected from the premises but then went on to smash a window next door & we believe caused a fight over the road as the police were there in attendance.

The manageress of the venue then tried to finish our night on the basis that the police were there, this was about 2-2.15 I think. I managed to persuade her to let us continue until just before 3 but unfortunately with the lights up!

My overall impression of the night obviously wasn't a good one. I felt the venue's response & approach far from proffesional & we're embarassed on behalf of the Dj's Butch & Edu who despite the sound problems did a sterling job! And to all the punters whose night was ruined & cut short despite all carrying on dancing for the last 30 mins with the lights up!

We've had a lot of texts & messages saying how people enjoyed the night for which we are very grateful!

I almost started to enjoy the night myself at one point...

So where to from here?

First of all if we're to run further nights then I think we'll have to make it strictly members only. To be honest this is the 1st time in 6 years of running the club that we've had any bother like this so maybe it was just one of those things that was bound to happen sooner or later?

Secondly as we're far from happy with the venue management & the sound system maybe it's time to look for somewhere else? Even if we did continue there can we guarantee them sorting the sound system etc?

We'd appreciate peoples opions & suggestions & honest revues regarding the night & any future ventures either at the same venue or elsewhere.

Apologies once again & thank you once again for all your support!!

Cheers Ady, Yann & Joel.

Reading the above would suggest the night was a bit of a disaster, but to myself and everybody i spoke to it was an excellent night! The music was great, a mix of QUALITY sounds in one good sized room with a great mix of people of all ages and all seemingly well up for it, the only problem i had was finding room on the dancefloor at times! This was my first time at the club and i loved it and will definitely be at the next night so to Yann and co. don't let these incidents put you off as you definitely have a winning formula there!!

P.S. Musically it was possibly the best event i've been to this year, and after the last record of the night was played the dancefloor was still full of people shouting for more so we can't all be wrong eh?!

Ste.:lol:

Guest Mary Boogaloo

I had a great time regardless! I will continue to support and enjoy the VVV club nights and I do agree on a membership.

In the Mod scene we tend to impose a dress code, which is used primarily to keep the undesirables out. I suppose that wouldn't work at a soul club...

(as much as I detest emoticons, I think I'd better place an appropriate one here as I care about my knee caps) :lol:

Hi Guys

You know what I said on the night about the sound system. But anyway, it's a great venue, don't loose it, music was exciting, really as good as any soul night I've been to this year.

This is a night I always try to make along with lifeline and Thorne if I'm not working, it's that good. Chin up all you have a great event, just sort the sound and don't rely on the venue to do it, that is a cop out, spend money of your own if need be.

Edited by Dave Thorley

Hi Guys

You know what I said on the night about the sound system. But anyway, it's a great venue, don't loose it, music was exciting, really as good as any soul night I've been to this year.

This is a night I always try to make along with lifeline and Thorne if I'm not working, it's that good, chin up all you have a great event, just sort the sound and don't rely on the venue to do it, that is a cop out, spend mony on your own if need be.

PS Joel, Butch and Edu played nice adventurous sets, 60's, modern and funk, loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading the above would suggest the night was a bit of a disaster, but to myself and everybody i spoke to it was an excellent night! The music was great, a mix of QUALITY sounds in one good sized room with a great mix of people of all ages and all seemingly well up for it, the only problem i had was finding room on the dancefloor at times! This was my first time at the club and i loved it and will definitely be at the next night so to Yann and co. don't let these incidents put you off as you definitely have a winning formula there!!

P.S. Musically it was possibly the best event i've been to this year, and after the last record of the night was played the dancefloor was still full of people shouting for more so we can't all be wrong eh?!

Ste.thumbsup.gif

Would agree with all the above..........I had a blinding night, musically immense & whilst there was an issue through out the night with the sound system, on the dance floor it didnt sound too bad to be honest & thats where I was for most of the night, couldnt believe just how many people there were who are old friends from venues past, reminded me of Abshott & the Colony Club when promoted by 'Uptown Down South'...........I will back for more I had a brilliant night thanks to all involved.

Best Russ

Myself and my partner were down in London for her birthday treat; sight seeing, theatre, meals etc, so I was pleased when she agreed to attend a soul night.

Absolutely cracking night until the fight broke out.

It was clearly 'non soulies' and they had been f***ing about all evening. Unfortunately my partners handbag was stolen during the melee along with others I believe. I would hope the bag(s) were stolen by these clowns and not by someone on the scene who took their chance!

Anyway, focussing on the positives the music was excellent (once the sound got better) and the set by the young fella Eduado was top notch to say the least.

KTF.

Drew.

Guest Ste Brazil

Myself and my partner were down in London for her birthday treat; sight seeing, theatre, meals etc, so I was pleased when she agreed to attend a soul night.

It was clearly 'non soulies' and they had been f***ing about all evening. Unfortunately my partners handbag was stolen during the melee along with others I believe. I would hope the bag(s) were stolen by these clowns and not by someone on the scene who took their chance!

Anyway, focussing on the positives the music was excellent (once the sound got better) and the set by the young fella Eduado was top notch to say the least.

KTF.

Drew.

Hi Drew, sorry to hear about your partner's handbag, not good.

P.S. I met you when we were outside having a cig, i'm the slightly pissed one from Leeds you were talking to!

Ste.

Guest Polyvelts

I reckon you've got to go members only route, as it only takes a handful of these kind of cretins to ruin everyone's night - it really is the one thing that pisses me off these days at soul nites , the sound was poor but hey these are only 2 problems that can be sorted out fairly easily enough. The good things easily outweigh everything else - mainly the quality of music played was absolutely blinding !!!

Keep on keeping on ! and if Butch is going to sit down for his set at least supply him with a throne, crown and orb !

Rob

Guest Mrs Simsy

KTF.

Drew.

Oh no!:thumbsup: You didn't have much luck over the weekend did you?!ph34r.gif

Well, i love Va Va Voom and will always tell anyone who'll listen that it's in my top 3 best nights ever. There's no need for me to repeat the issues with the sound but it really effected the atmosphere for me and i did have a bit of a bop but we left a bit early and missed the drama.

Also whilst i enjoyed Edu's sounds there didn't seem to be too much enthusiasm coming from the decks and this funky stuff...hmm. Don't get me wrong i do like it but it seemed to be all that was being played on Saturday aside from about 6 records.

All in all though, lots of friendly faces, Martin & Ian were making us laugh outside singing Billy Ocean songs in Northern Irish accents, i caught up with my mates and had a laugh.:D

I know that Yann, Ady & Joel work hard to put on a good night and i'll look forward to the next installment.:no:

P.S Photos in the gallery.:hatsoff2:

All my support and appreciation for a fantastic night in my first VAVAVOOM. In addition, a pleasure to greet many of the friends from the UK I've met in recent years, it was like being at home really. Thanks to the three musketeers and especially Ady, but forget to put bamboo in the menu.

XXX

Ady, ...

Yes the sound system had its issues (I know i spoke to you at one point) and the fight did interrupt the night for a few seconds but i really enjoyed my evening. Don't be put off......

M

Totally agree Martin .... a great night. Music was top notch and the little hiccups didn't spoil it....just one of those things! Look forward to the next one.

Phil

KTF.

Drew.

Hi Drew,

I'm really sorry to hear about your partners bag! Please pass her our condolences & hope there wasn't anything too valuable in it & it didn't completely ruin her birthday night! Can anyone confirm if there were more things stolen? I'm sure it would've been those arseholes & not anyone off the scene! Apologies once again, we really put a lot into the night & wanted it to be a great success. If I hadn't been so wrapped up trying to sort the sound system maybe I'd have noticed these tits & done something about it. Apparently the so called bouncer was told of their behaviour but from what I've heard all he did was have a word with them which they obviously took no heed. If people notice these people acting like clowns or worse still potentially looking for trouble they must let us know asap.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, views & most surprisingly praise of the night. Thanks too for all the pm's people have sent(you know who you are). All suggestions have been taken onboard & are appreciated & I'll try responding if & when I can. Keep them coming please?

Thanks again Ady

Guest karen b

Hi Adey,Yann & Joel,

To be honest bit of a kneejerk reaction to be considering moving location but then again wouldn't be the first time you've upped sticks and carried on.

When you look at the nature of the venue with the skysports footie bar one side of the building the weird chess/boxing promotion the other (on this particular night) you lovely lot in the middle and then factor in location and the dodgier "guests" with an agenda I'm amazed you've not had similar problems before.

I reckon the piss taking followed by the scrap was a bit of a smoke screen if a number of bags went missing as it did all seem to happen at the same time in that corner of the room so far as I'm aware(?).

Put it down to experience/behind you and try solve it with a membership before binning the venue.

Sack the sound guy and pay good money for a different firm or get your own as Dave suggests. A night I am familiar with has it's own set up and also has sound guy in attendance for good measure.

As for the night itself, the regular attendees (that includes our Spanish cousins and Polly) and first timers were predominantly on first name terms before the event so arguably it was as near a private party as you could get. Early on it was a little subdued but this is London and no one involved in the night showed any concern as by 10.30 the place was getting very busy.

As for what got played check playlists and judge for yourself.

Personally I consider that the problems with the sound system and the bag snatchers were more than offset by an evening spent in fecking good company listening to a line up of such quality at what is technically "just a soul night", as I kept telling the various boxing people who kept coming through the wrong door early on.

If I could have got through that connecting door by the stage to see the chess/boxing then that would have really made my night as most people I spoke to about chess/ boxing thought I was off my bleedin rocker. Just google it.

Anyway, elements of the Va Va Voom boys were hoping to do Disciples of Soul next weekend but that's cancelled at the moment so you'll have to wait for NYE (remember last years DJs in tashes promotion/themed night? Rumour has it that Arthur couldn't make Saturday as he's taken delivery of a unique new line of tash grooming product, straighteners etc.).

I can heartily recommend VVV NYE as the perfect antidote to the rose tinted Christmas that's looming.

Pete Not Karen

Hi all,

Thanks to the Vava Boom crew for the invitation to DJ, it's always a pleasure to see you people...maybe not the easiest of nights from the technical point of view, but the crowd was great and seemed to have a jolly good time! :thumbsup:

I'll come back with a review of the night, playlists, etc...as soon as i'm back in BCN

Thanks again!

Edu

Thank you all for your comments,

Ady said it all; we have some work to do and decisions to make.

We are really passionate about it.

Sounds System: will be improved (as our main focus)

Membership will be introduced

Security will need to be reinforced

Maybe, it is time for us to give a go at the upstairs room??? Which I believe would solve a lot of those issues.

Special thanks to Butch and Eduardo for some amazing music & all the VaVaVoomers for your support.

We will get it right next time.

Yann hatsoff2.gif

Edited by Yann V
Guest karen b

Thank you to Yann and Kim for your hospitality,yes.gif

Sorry I have not posted yet but Pete has had me learning chess!!!! and circuit training!!!aggressive.gif

I had a splendid evening chatting to old friends and even making one or two new ones,wave.gif

I had a few dances, and lots of laughs,

love Karen not Pete xxx

P.S. This is my application for membership. Number 001 please xxxwub.gif

Edited by karen b

Sorry for delay in commenting but one fingered typing knackers me after a while.

Don't despair guys, problems with the sound can be overcome, perhaps you need to either hire or buy your own equipment, although I do appreciate the latter option would be expensive.

Membership seems a good idea to me. It will keep the idiots out and make the night a bit more exclusive, sure we all like that.

I thought the music was great, so many tunes I didn't know, so playlists would be welcome. Thanks to Butch for playing my request, Gangster Boy. Who is it by? The only downside of the music was the frustration it caused, I just wanted to dance so much. I jigged around to Foolish Girl and the Empires but felt apprehensive, it doesn't feel right when you've got one arm in a sling, probably looked more ridiculous than usual.

It was good to get out and see many of my friends, it can be a bit boring stuck at home. Thanks to Phil and Martin for their company, hope you were comfortable in my front room.

Thanks to the Va Va Voom guys (and partners) for their hard work, it is appreciated.

Would just like to thank everyone involved for a great event, music was brilliant :thumbsup: Great atmosphere and great people make it a recipe for what it is ... FAB! Never really noticed the sound problems (maybe going mutton) lol ... was lovely to meet old and new friends, well done guys a cracker of a night spoilt (luckily) at the very end ... Membership cards yes.gif sounds like a great idea

Thanks again Rach x

I can heartily recommend VVV NYE as the perfect antidote to the rose tinted Christmas that's looming.

...and as it is at the Crossfire venue you have breathing space to sort out the Boston Arms situation for next year?

Maybe switching it to upstairs (the old Capitol Soul Club room) will be a good way to go, as security is easier using the one main entrance and you don't have to open up the old record room, thus keeping everyone in the same room?

:thumbsup:

P.S. This is my application for membership. Number 001 please xxxwub.gif

So that would be your second membership carrying # 1...ain`t that a bit too much Karen :(thumbsup.gif

Sorry to hear about what happened. Really don`t want to sound like a smart a**e ... but Ady asked for opinions. I don`t know about membership only being the (only) answer, but an investment in a good PA system always is a bonus on the plus side (although I must say I seem to remember the sound being pretty fine when I had the pleasure to be guest in August). But maybe a soundcheck hrs before schedulded start of the night helps in case any probelms come to light. At the Hip City I always install and test the PA around noon to be on the safe side.

Then a second test again about one hour before start....I know... :yes:

Security...as we are in the backroom of one pub similar to the Vava Voom in the sense that in the front (and sometimes even in the backroom before a Hip City starts ) there are public viewings of English and German football as well as boxing and Rugby, we also happened to have had some dickheads in. But ususally I don`t allow them in and in case their are already in I politely ask them out explaining its defo not their kind of night. Before the night starts. Since we`ve moved to the Oscar Wilde in 2003 I only remember three "dangerous" situations plus one thief. The Thief was "asked" out :thumbsup: as were the people involved in the other three situations before things could become nasty. Thankfully I am always backed up by the owner ( in the true sense of the word) which makes things easier I suppose.

I hope you don´t let the bad side of what obviously was a great night overall get you down too much, its a great club, you know that anyway...so keep on keeping it vava voooming :D

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest

For me the night was a disaster. Basically the fight was the best bit. Good to see the idiots getting a sound thrashing tho!

Can only apologise to all of the regulars and people who kindly travelled all that way for the appalling sound situation. Personally for me that management and venue can go and f*ck themselves. However there were three of us involved and the fact we didn't get it sorted leaves a lot to be desired.

Also even further apologies to the lady who's bag was pinched, I did mean to come over and try to help you look but what with all the drama and whatnot i completely forgot.

Butch and Edu soldiered on throughout and I can only thank for them for being so good about the whole thing. Many thanks to Dave Thorley who became our impromptu sound man when he should of been enjoying himself. Also much love to our Spanish brothers who still managed to enjoy themselves! x

Thanks to Trickster also for sticking it out with us.

I know a few of our dedicated regulars weren't over the moon about the amount of funkier edged stuff that was played but the fact we got any music out at all was a blessing. I didn't get to spin my unissued Ken Dodd bits either which was maybe the worst thing about it all.

Carry On Soul Club!

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone, couldn't do it without you lot!

Best,

J

Edited by corbett80
Guest Karen Heath

Firstly, the positives....

Overall, the music was great and the dance floor was full most of the night proving that while it wasn't everybody's cup of tea-for a lot of people it was very refreshing! It really was buzzing most of the time.

There were lots of lovely people in attendance as usual so there was loads of chatting all night to friends from all over the globe-well the majority were from the UK and Spain but you get the idea!

We did leave slightly early because the fight took the shine off the evening-I really hated that and it should have never got to that stage but that could be easily remedied in future with more effective security staff and membership. It is a small wonder it hasn't happened before really as the Boston Arms is not the most sophisticated of venues and attracts a lot of local youths etc. I live locally and have always felt slightly nervous going there.

The sound issue has been covered.

All these things could be easily sorted-no great shakes.....you have a good thing going there and there is no reason why it cannot continue and blossom!

Good luck for the future-it will be fine. :thumbsup:

Sorry for delay in commenting but one fingered typing knackers me after a while.

Don't despair guys, problems with the sound can be overcome, perhaps you need to either hire or buy your own equipment, although I do appreciate the latter option would be expensive.

Membership seems a good idea to me. It will keep the idiots out and make the night a bit more exclusive, sure we all like that.

I thought the music was great, so many tunes I didn't know, so playlists would be welcome. Thanks to Butch for playing my request, Gangster Boy. Who is it by? The only downside of the music was the frustration it caused, I just wanted to dance so much. I jigged around to Foolish Girl and the Empires but felt apprehensive, it doesn't feel right when you've got one arm in a sling, probably looked more ridiculous than usual.

It was good to get out and see many of my friends, it can be a bit boring stuck at home. Thanks to Phil and Martin for their company, hope you were comfortable in my front room.

Thanks to the Va Va Voom guys (and partners) for their hard work, it is appreciated.

Good to see ya mate, sorry about the injury, 'Gangster Boy' sounded amazing, I had heard of this before, but never actually heard it out until Saturday, loved it to bits........any info anyone ???.

Best Russ

Guest Ste Brazil

I'm not complaining about the funkier stuff, all i've heard this year is bloody 60's wherever i've been so to hear quality 70's and funky edge stuff was fantastic for me, and the reason why i think the night worked so well was the diverse mix - keep it up, there were plenty of us that loved that 'funky stuff' !!!

Ste.:unsure:

I'm not complaining about the funkier stuff, all i've heard this year is bloody 60's wherever i've been so to hear quality 70's and funky edge stuff was fantastic for me, and the reason why i think the night worked so well was the diverse mix - keep it up, there were plenty of us that loved that 'funky stuff' !!!

Ste.:unsure:

thumbsup.gifLove it all...........so long as its soulful & ya can dance to it, all sounded sweet to me at the weekend........

Russ

Guest Ste Brazil

:unsure:Love it all...........so long as its soulful & ya can dance to it, all sounded sweet to me at the weekend........

Russ

...sweet to me too so a plea to the organisers, keep the sounds mixed, we are not all 60's obsessives! smile.gif

P.S. Butch played a track by a band called (i think) 'Gold' but i can't remember the name of the track, also which one was 'Gangster boy'??

Ste.

Hi!

Once again, thanks to Yann, Joel & Ady for the invitation...anytime, people! yes.gif

As a promoter myself, first thing that comes to mind is that, even having everything planned to a tee, shit happens. EVERYBODY who's been involved in promoting a club has, at some point, forgotten the headphones at home, missed the centers for the 45's...or, yep, had a sound system crashing in the middle of the night. So, no cheap advices from me in that respect wink.gif

I think membership is a good idea, as long as it's used strictly as a security measure and not to prevent new people from coming to soul do's...haven't been in a party in London for a while so maybe i'm not so much in touch about things, but it was great to see so many new -and young- faces at Va Va Boom. And, about the venue itself, if the management has given signs of not being so bothered with things on a regular basis, maybe it's a good idea to find a new locationglare.gif

Regarding the fight, maybe it would have been a good thing to have the security team dealing with those people at the first stages of their Annoyance Crusade... patience is never a good tactic when some drunken idiots start mimmicking dancers around innocent.gif

Musically, i think it was a good mixture of styles and tempos, even if things got a bit chaotic towards the end of the night, maybe the general mood around the DJ booth didn't help...and, now that we're at it, i'd be most happy not to have people lurking around the area where the Dj belongings and working area is. I know people don't put so much thought about it, but it's a real bad example for the rest of the punters and a security hazard. I think that asking for a tune or two is perfectly fine, but the constant movement around the booth makes one feel very uneasy and, as a punter and a dancer, it's not a pretty sight from the dancefloor...never been too fond of elite clubs of any kind... whistling.gif

Playlists following in a minute...thumbsup.gif

Edu

...sweet to me too so a plea to the organisers, keep the sounds mixed, we are not all 60's obsessives! :unsure:

P.S. Butch played a track by a band called (i think) 'Gold' but i can't remember the name of the track, also which one was 'Gangster boy'??

Ste.

Steve, it's "What about the child"...TUNE! thumbsup.gif

Playlists smile.gif

FIRST SET (jazzy tunes, slowies, leftside stuff and so on)

* KENNY RANKIN- In the name of love Columbia

* BOBBY COLE- A perfect day Concentric LP

* ISLEY BROTHERS- Who's that lady UA

* HELENE SMITH- (Without) some kind of man Phil-La of Soul

* HONEY & THE BEES- I'll be there Arctic

* HELENE SMITH- True love don't grow on trees Deep City

* FREDDIE NORTH- Love to hate Mankind

* OLLIE NIGHTINGALE- I'll take care of you Memphis

* JIMMY JONES- Live and let live Deke

* JOHNNIE MAE MATTHEWS- Got to be on the case Art

* WADE FLEMONS- What a price to pay Ramsel

* JADES- And now Mode

* JOE BATTAAN- Under the street lamp Fania Lp

* DETROIT SPINNERS- How can I Tamla Motown UK Lp

* DYNAMIC TINTS- Be my lady Twinight

* KITTIE DOSWELL- Just a face in the crowd HES

* CYNTHIA SHEELER- I'll cry over you JB's

* ROZ RYAN- You're my only temptation Volt

* OVATIONS- i'm in love MGM

* RAY ALEXANDER'S TECHNIQUE- Save me Lu Jun Lp

* ALEX BROWN- i'm not responsible Sundi

* CARMELITA- Isn't it lonely Carmen

* TY KARIM- Lightin' up Romark

* CHAIN REACTION- Nurse your nerves Oshowleo

* JOHNNIE MAE MATTHEWS- I have no choice Big Hit

SECOND SET (R&B, good ol' northern and, er, some funky stuff wink.gif)

* E. RODNEY JONES- Is it because i'm black JA Blank (intro)

* OTIS LEE- Hard row to hoe Quaint

* NAT HALL- Why Loop

* PATIENCE VALENTINE- If you don't come SAR

* MARY LOU WILLIAMS feat LEON THOMAS- You know baby Mary

* HOLY DISCIPLES- Trying to make a hundred Song Bird

* SOUL STIRRERS- Trying to be your friend Jewel

* SKIP MAHONEY & CASUALS- Town called nowhere DC International

* CHARLENE & SOUL SERENADERS- Can you win Volt

* WAYNE CARTER- Mad mouth woman Mootrey's

* CURTIS, THE BROTHERS- You make everything better Bell

* DYKE & THE BLAZERS- Runaway people Original Sound

* LEE BRACKETT- Ruby Excello

* GEORGE TINDLEY & MODERN RED CAPS- Ain't gonna worry about you Doo-Wopp

* GENE TOONES- What more do you want Simco

* FOUR SONICS- Where are you Triple B

* BERNARD SMITH & JOKERS WILD- Gotta be a reason Groove

* OGLETREE BROTHERS- Gonna keep a check on you baby Treetop

* JOSEPH WEBSTER- My love is so strong Crow

* CHAIN REACTION- Search for tomorrow Blue Wave

* CAPPY & STONEWALL- Bad news Love Capp

* TOLBERT- I've got it Rojac

Best!

Edu

I came late that night straight from the airport and was only been told about the sound issues from the beginning of the night. I really had a great night and can only agree with all those who says the music mixture of the night was brilliant. Unfortunately I didn´t hear anything of Joel, Ady or Yann´s sets, but Edu and Butch were just awesome. I was even more pleased about what Butch played at vvv as in Hamburg a couple of weeks ago. Big thanks to all who was involved in the positive things of the night and a special thank to Kim and Yann for their great hospitality.

Would be a shame if vvv would come to an end ... go on guys, go on! see you at the nye

Ps: sorry if I forgot to say hallo to someone that night :unsure:

Guest Mary Boogaloo

Maybe, it is time for us to give a go at the upstairs room??? Which I believe would solve a lot of those issues.

I hope not, it's far too big and dispersive! I think the room downstairs - with all those issues resolved - is perfect.

Can I also make a suggestion, of secondary importance but still worth a mention: the bar is appalling! Is always understaffed, also the only two people in there are quite rude and seems like they have poo for brains. The service was atrocious and put me right off going to the bar!

So the suggestion would be asking the venue to get some more and better staff, is entirely in their interest.

Mary

I hope not, it's far too big and dispersive! I think the room downstairs - with all those issues resolved - is perfect.

Can I also make a suggestion, of secondary importance but still worth a mention: the bar is appalling! Is always understaffed, also the only two people in there are quite rude and seems like they have poo for brains. The service was atrocious and put me right off going to the bar!

So the suggestion would be asking the venue to get some more and better staff, is entirely in their interest.

Mary

i agree that upstairs would be a bad move...way too big and the sound system is set up is for live bands not records...

Bar...i didn't mind the two staff as my rounds got cheaper and cheaper as the evening went on......:unsure: