Patsy With Lynne Taitt

Really chuffed today cause I got a parcel from Jamaica with this in it !

Anyway just a few questions:

I didn't know this 45 up until a couple of years ago and for a tune of this quality to be released in the uk and in Ja and not to have been "discovered" and played

on the Northern, RnB, / Mod scenes back the 1980s and 1990s I find really surprising.

Getting me thinking that this is really a hard tune on either label ?

So how many Soul Sourcers have the Dr Bird copys and how many have the Gay feet copys ?

And who are the DJs playing this kicking tune out there ?

I would have thought the Jamaican release will be by far the rarer 45 ?

I love the original Jamaican 45s - they have that certain thing about them for me.

How did this third world country in the 1960s with limited resources make such wonderful music and manage to press it onto vinyl.

I don't know but I am glad they did !

and I know I am going back there in April ! biggrin.gif

Thanks to pete smith - cause this was unknown to me until a couple of years ago thumbsup.gif

fooking love this at the moment !

post-6465-089696400 1287439726_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Ooh thats nice.

Ken, its just

"a little black girl echoing back the blues ! LOL"

Played loud Ken this 45 has what it takes IMO

If I was a DJ i would deffo give it a spin !

The Bass line is to die for !

lyrics like...........................

"this look like a trap sister "

Its a cool 45 !

its been for sale three times on here before on Dr Bird - once for sale by Tony Rounce and twice for sale by Pete Smith.

other than these three times it has never been offered for sale on this site.

apart from JMs auction which was where one of Petes copys ended up.

So with Nigel floods Ja copy, the scottish DJs Ja and my Ja copy there are 3 Jamaican issues in the uk

whos got the rest ?

And 3 (or 4) known uk issues ! obviously more in reggae collections !

so how rare is it ?

any one got any more ?

great funky shit ! biggrin.gif

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Ken, its just

"a little black girl echoing back the blues ! LOL"

Played loud Ken this 45 has what it takes IMO

If I was a DJ i would deffo give it a spin !

The Bass line is to die for !

lyrics like...........................

"this look like a trap sister "

Its a cool 45 !

its been for sale three times on here before on Dr Bird - once for sale by Tony Rounce and twice for sale by Pete Smith.

other than these three times it has never been offered for sale on this site.

apart from JMs auction which was where one of Petes copys ended up.

So with Nigel floods Ja copy, the scottish DJs Ja and my Ja copy there are 3 Jamaican issues in the uk

And 3 (or 4) known uk issues !

any one got any more ?

great funky shit ! :D

I would just like to thank pedro smith and his podcasts btw

I really would advise music fans to have a go at his site

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There are plenty of Doctor Bird copies of this 45 in UK reggae collections, I assure you, Mossy - mostly for the Lennie Hibbert/Count Ossie version of Johnny Lytle's 'The Loop' on the other side, I meet up for a drink once a week with three people who have a DB copy, and that's just in the Wallington-Carshalton area!

It's also been played fairly extensively on the R & B scene for quite a while, to my (increasingly limited) knowledge, so it's not just reggae collectors who control copies either,

I flogged mine because a) I picked up a copy of of the 100% legit, limited edition Japanese reissues that were in circulation last year and b) I simply don't think it;s as good as Johnny Taylor's 'Blues In The Night', which it's patently a version of (although in that great Jamaican tradition, Patsy Todd gets quite a lot of the lyrics wrong...)

It's a hard record to find in decent condition, but even though I got a couple of hundred quid for my centreless copy I don't really regard it as being that rare:no:

Social source share

There are plenty of Doctor Bird copies of this 45 in UK reggae collections, I assure you, Mossy - mostly for the Lennie Hibbert/Count Ossie version of Johnny Lytle's 'The Loop' on the other side, I meet up for a drink once a week with three people who have a DB copy, and that's just in the Wallington-Carshalton area!

It's also been played fairly extensively on the R & B scene for quite a while, to my (increasingly limited) knowledge, so it's not just reggae collectors who control copies either,

I flogged mine because a) I picked up a copy of of the 100% legit, limited edition Japanese reissues that were in circulation last year and b) I simply don't think it;s as good as Johnny Taylor's 'Blues In The Night', which it's patently a version of (although in that great Jamaican tradition, Patsy Todd gets quite a lot of the lyrics wrong...)

It's a hard record to find in decent condition, but even though I got a couple of hundred quid for my centreless copy I don't really regard it as being that rare:no:

Thanks Tony

Thats where I would expect all the doctor bird copys to be, hidden away in all the reggae collections. Never to be seen again

I really love the record. Just think its got everything to cross over onto the northern dance floor.

I still think I would be hard pushed to get another copy any time soon, I was looking for a copy for a couple of years.

But like you say - they are in reggae collections.

Thanks mate

m

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Really chuffed today cause I got a parcel from Jamaica with this in it !

Anyway just a few questions:

I didn't know this 45 up until a couple of years ago and for a tune of this quality to be released in the uk and in Ja and not to have been "discovered" and played

on the Northern, RnB, / Mod scenes back the 1980s and 1990s I find really surprising.

Getting me thinking that this is really a hard tune on either label ?

So how many Soul Sourcers have the Dr Bird copys and how many have the Gay feet copys ?

And who are the DJs playing this kicking tune out there ?

I would have thought the Jamaican release will be by far the rarer 45 ?

I love the original Jamaican 45s - they have that certain thing about them for me.

How did this third world country in the 1960s with limited resources make such wonderful music and manage to press it onto vinyl.

I don't know but I am glad they did !

and I know I am going back there in April ! biggrin.gif

Thanks to pete smith - cause this was unknown to me until a couple of years ago thumbsup.gif

fooking love this at the moment !

post-6465-089696400 1287439726_thumb.jpg

Hi there I've sold this at Prestatyn twice this weekend plus two copies of J. Opel Eternal love , a copie of Hopeton lewis You make me feel ( DEEP Soul) ,and the record by Byron Lee I don't think that it's that rare on Jamaican as we get this at least 10 times a year (Patsy /Lynne Taitt)We sell this for around thirty quid and I see it regulary on sales sites.We also sold the Lynne Taitt 10 inch funk monster we're having a party( Skin Flesh and bones) The incrowd indemander plus the Beres Hammond album and Soul Makossa by Joblonski on Randy's records ( an early seventy's cut of the ledgendary Manu Didango no) so these thing's arn't that rare people. all the best Si. Hunt

Social source share

Hi there I've sold this at Prestatyn twice this weekend plus two copies of J. Opel Eternal love , a copie of Hopeton lewis You make me feel ( DEEP Soul) ,and the record by Byron Lee I don't think that it's that rare on Jamaican as we get this at least 10 times a year (Patsy /Lynne Taitt)We sell this for around thirty quid and I see it regulary on sales sites.We also sold the Lynne Taitt 10 inch funk monster we're having a party( Skin Flesh and bones) The incrowd indemander plus the Beres Hammond album and Soul Makossa by Joblonski on Randy's records ( an early seventy's cut of the ledgendary Manu Didango no) so these thing's arn't that rare people. all the best Si. Hunt

seriously mate - if you have any patsy and lynne taitts on gay feet originals for 30 quid pm me thumbsup.gif i will buy them all off you

there are only a couple on popsike

heres one from last year - price and demand is deffo on the rise in the last couple of years IMO

https://www.popsike.c...0325119998.html

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

seriously mate - if you have any patsy and lynne taitts on gay feet originals for 30 quid pm me thumbsup.gif i will buy them all off you

there are only a couple on popsike

heres one from last year - price and demand is deffo on the rise in the last couple of years IMO

https://www.popsike.c...0325119998.html

BLEEDING HELL no wonder those two got snapped up

Social source share

Patsy with Lynne Taiitt got spins at the last Melbourne weekender and made it on to the weekender CD so it's turned a few heads out this way. Personally , for a JA record I would take Jackie Opals Eternal love with the immense cry me a river on the flip...fairly cheap on orginal JA label and UK King...what a cracker!

Social source share

Toad - are your glasses steaming up again :unsure:

The other thread is Phyllis Dillon biggrin.gif

No you posted this twice plus it was allready in refosoul since 2008 !

just proves to me how slow the scene has become or is that the people on it ?

BTW its LYN single N;)

Social source share

No you posted this twice plus it was allready in refosoul since 2008 !

just proves to me how slow the scene has become or is that the people on it ?

BTW its LYN single N;)

Come, on. Chill.

He did a Refosoul post to put it up. Ok, prolly should have checked first.

And this thread was to ask information about it, not to announce he had discovered a previously unknown record. And also, to share it with people who might like it, like me.

And he did say he found out about the record a couple of years back (2008), so he's not probably as slow as you think.

Social source share

Come, on. Chill.

He did a Refosoul post to put it up. Ok, prolly should have checked first.

And this thread was to ask information about it, not to announce he had discovered a previously unknown record. And also, to share it with people who might like it, like me.

And he did say he found out about the record a couple of years back (2008), so he's not probably as slow as you think.

Thanks Dante

thats exactley why I posted on audio thread first and then a copy and paste here for a good chat about it

you can't post refo straight into this section

I did a search on lyn taitt and the jets and nothing came up as Pete Smith had posted it up as Patsy

stop being a cantankerous missarable old turd Toad ! :unsure:

Seriously mate - I can see why folk fook off and dont bother posting when you get

rubbish posts like that in return - I could take that personally If I gave a shit !

All we are doing here is talking about a record for fooks sake - and you start

insinuating that I am slow on the uptake or something

as for patronising my spelling -

I really didnt expect that from you Toad ! - A POOR SHOW indeed and shame on you IMO !!!!

You have unnecessarily spoilt what for me was an enjoyable thread about a 45 which I happen to like

I don't understand what is wrong with you mate !

Really childish and pointless stuff IMO

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Have to say I think it was Tony who first tipped me off to this record. I got one within 2 weeks on Doctor Bird, gave it to JM, think it went for between 250 and 300. The I got another one, can't remember what I did with it, may have sold it to Alex in Australia hence them spinning it over there. I haven't had another one because I stopped looking but I would never have looked for a Jamaican copy as I'd rather have them on UK than Jamaican. I had another truly fantastic record by Patsy on UK High Note, someone will remind me what it's called, I lent it to GlenWalton to play a good 3 years ago and haven't seen it since so someone give him a nudge for me...also lent him a great Hortense Ellis soul track on UK R & B. Finally the Jackie Opel is really common but great. I@ve got one for £20 on UK if anyone wants it.

Social source share

Les at King Bee Records in Manchester has got one, and he's had it ages because he collects Reggae, he told me about it a couple of years ago, but didn't mention he had a spare at the time. When i called in a month or two later he tells me he sold his spare the same week were talking about it. you can guess my disappointment!!

Cheers John

PS I think he sold it for about a ton and both are UK Dr Bird

Edited by Nocker
Social source share

pete lyster played this at the last gloucester alnighter and im looking forward to hearing it again at bridgwater saturday:) i want one too please.....funny enuff the johnny taylor version was spun at the last soulfusion aswell

spot on Dean

Newbury Rob sold me a copy last year / earlier this year, Dr Bird with the centre removed [ how can people do that ? ] but minty condition otherwise .

went down a storm at Soul Nights @ Bridgwater last Sat night with 3 separate requests for it

pete

Social source share

i suppose most people 'dinked' the middles out if they were djs rather than collectors as both U.S and JA vinyl had no middles so they didnt have to keep takin the adapters off an on the turntable ?especially the later stuff with a version on the b side for someone to 'chat' to...i know when working with a reggae sound most of my vinyl was jamaican and it was a pain trying to get the odd uk record off compared to the ja(only a slight annoyance i must add,never enuff to push a middle out myself )...and lets face it back then no one thought vinyl would be worth what it is today !!

go gos john stapletons 'wanted record' shop in bris has been getting lots of reggae stuff lately,i wonder if hes got a copy somewhere...not that i could afford it now but would be nice to hear it at go go children in a couple of weeks

dean

Social source share

i suppose most people 'dinked' the middles out if they were djs rather than collectors as both U.S and JA vinyl had no middles so they didnt have to keep takin the adapters off an on the turntable ?especially the later stuff with a version on the b side for someone to 'chat' to...i know when working with a reggae sound most of my vinyl was jamaican and it was a pain trying to get the odd uk record off compared to the ja(only a slight annoyance i must add,never enuff to push a middle out myself )...and lets face it back then no one thought vinyl would be worth what it is today !!

go gos john stapletons 'wanted record' shop in bris has been getting lots of reggae stuff lately,i wonder if hes got a copy somewhere...not that i could afford it now but would be nice to hear it at go go children in a couple of weeks

dean

thanks guys !

deffo a great brill tune and new to a lot of people - making a few waves on the scene !

and that's why I gave it the "Soul Source - In your box push "

Thanks for all the good info ( not forgetting everyone but especially Tony and Pete thumbsup.gif as always)

I for one will be hitting the floor when this comes on !

Kicking tune !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!