Vise Advice

Hello knowledgeable ones,

just recently bagged a long term want only to discover that it has not long since been booted.

I didn't know about the boot before buying and now concerned about my copy, hoping it's legit.

Record in question is VICE - BABY I LOVE YOU on chocolate mama records.

Please can anyone inform me how to tell the original from the boot? Or offer up any info on the boot and orig to make sure peope don't get duped.

Bought off a reputable seller so am hoping it's not a boot and I'm sure they'd reverse the transaction if it was.

Cheers

Azza

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Looking on the web for the reissue I can see one without an address on the bottom, which is stated as a reissue (as below)

VISE.jpg

The originals (or quite a few of them) came from Ian Clark who's uncle (?) was part of the band. The addresses were partly scratched out on some copies.

230425647198.jpg

Pretty sure Ian was responsible the reissue (not boot), too.

Edited by Jason S
Social source share

Ian got them from either a band member or their manager or maybe one of the bands uncles, I forget now what he said it was years ago - i'm pretty sure he's not related to anyone though lol, he just got them through contacts, etc. Ian scratched out the addresses on the labels to stop people finding his source, I bought one from him when he got them and he'd just sold one to Keb who stuck it on a comp.

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Ian got them from either a band member or their manager or maybe one of the bands uncles, I forget now what he said it was years ago - i'm pretty sure he's not related to anyone though lol, he just got them through contacts, etc. Ian scratched out the addresses on the labels to stop people finding his source, I bought one from him when he got them and he'd just sold one to Keb who stuck it on a comp.

cheers Sutty

I see...Thanks.

Ste.

Social source share

I see...Thanks.

Ste.

no probs. he didn't get that many and as far as i'm aware he never sold one without the address scratched out, so unless someone else has found more copies or discovered his source that he wouldn't reveal (not even the vague location never mind the actual address), it must be still pretty rare and around in low-ish numbers, it always went for £100 but I guess it's gone up now by the looks of it (much like everything else...)

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

I got a bit of a bargain to be honest steve but when I've been looking on lists, in sales boxes etc prior to getting one, I found it to go for £250 mark........some more, some a little less.

Other than eBay, I've never seen one less than £220 but that's just one pair of eyes in a world where thousands of sellers exist :-)

Social source share

It's got a PO Box address in Dania, Florida.

I just realised that from the scan earlier on, at the time they were being 'got' it was a total secret squirrel though, I assume the source ran out of copies so there was no need to get the needle out and scratch it off the label :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Following on from this thread by Azza from a few years ago here's a Ron Seagram release from 1985, same label BUT curious that it's

printed as Choclate Mama Records, not Chocolate as in the Vise 45. Label address similar, a PO Box , Dania, Fla.

So is the Ron Seagram a legitimate release.?

Cheers Bob J

RonSeagramA.jpg

RonSeagramSleeve.jpg

Social source share

RE. Vise-chocolate mama records.

I don't think it was ian clark who scratched the address off the initial batch.  Yes, ian did eventually track down the owner of the record and managed to get an unknown quantity of the 45 (with the PO Box label address) and ultimately got a bunch of re-issues made (copies without the label address)

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that the initial batch copies (i think from soul bowl) had a yellow coloured label, whereas the later copies were a peach coloured label? (both assumed to be original, as both had the PO Box 394 address)  Both copies had the same label typeface and stamps in the dead wax.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!